Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=313739)

08-12-2005 12:47 PM

Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School)

Need some advice from the Ootsters. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass before school starts. I wouldn't mind some fat either - just hopefully more muscle than fat. I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this? Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Street Fighter [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

swede123 08-12-2005 12:54 PM

Re: Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School)

You're not going to gain 10-15 lbs of muscle that quickly without steroids. If you work out three times a day you will get much stronger quite fast, but to gain that much weight you need to supplement the body's own growth. Just work on a balanced workout, eat lots and lots and lots of healthy calories, and keep going at it. By the way, people who only work their arms/chest while at the gym are tools.

Swede

RunDownHouse 08-12-2005 12:56 PM

Stop being the guy that does 8 different arm exercises and then leaves.

Seriously, if you want to add muscle, you need to work something other than your noodly arms. Do squats and cleans, those are the two best exercises in the weight room. Bulking up your legs will add weight, speed your metabolism, and you won't look like a douche in the weight room.

08-12-2005 12:57 PM

Have you seen Guile? He's got chicken legs but he still manages to pull the ladies like Cammy and Chun Li.

I do workout my chest a little bit - I'm just not concerned with my legs. I've been walking fine for 16 years or so - no need to change them.

What supplements would you suggest? Meal replacement powders? etc

crownjules 08-12-2005 12:58 PM

Damn you're skinny. I weigh as much as you and I'm only 5'8, and I'm considered skinny.

Don't work just your arms, you won't put on much weight that way. Not to mention, it'll look odd if you have toned arms and the rest of your body is flab. Increase your protein intake as this will help develope muscle mass. Whey protein shake mix is good for that, as is a good diet of tuna fish or any other high protein food.

08-12-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you won't look like a douche in the weight room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not into impressing a bunch of sweaty guys. I'm more concerned with improving my self image and feeling good. I don't work out for other people at the gym.

ddollevoet 08-12-2005 01:00 PM

Start four months ago...

unlucky513 08-12-2005 01:02 PM

protien and creatine

work out more than 3 times per week, do more than just arms.

check out the forums at bodybuilding.com ... you'll get better/more responses there.

p.s. gaining 15 pounds of muscle in a month is not possible.

08-12-2005 01:04 PM

I said I didn't mind if some of it was fat either. I just want to look less rail-esque.

I'll start to work out my back and abs and such. Like I said, my legs carry me fine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Street FIGHTER

jakethebake 08-12-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right? You're working your arms to put on mass? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

KaneKungFu123 08-12-2005 01:08 PM

the junior class girls of winslow high better look out! street fighter is in da hosue!

jakethebake 08-12-2005 01:11 PM

Here's what you do. STOP doing arm exercises entirely. Then start doing Bench Press, Deadlift and Squats. Do 5 sets of five at a weight somewhat less than what you could do to failure. Do this three times a week.

These are big compound exercises that work your whoile body. Doing squats for the legs isn't the point. The point is to stimulate growth throughout your body. You will NOT get big w/o doing the compound exercises.

lastsamurai 08-12-2005 01:13 PM

Go on google search and look up "sup bro workouts"

seriously... Go on a regiment. I use the take suppliments but they started giving me migraine headaches. Give yourself goals ( like benching 200 in 3 months ect...)

swede123 08-12-2005 01:13 PM

Just be careful when starting with the "advanced" stuff Jake is talking about. You really want someone with you who can show you how to do these exercises correctly. Doing deadlifts to failure w/o knowing what you're doing is a good way to screw up your back in a bad way.

Swede

Laomedon 08-12-2005 01:14 PM

Holy [censored], you're 6'2" and you weigh 150!? Start eating some [censored] hamburgers and milkshakes right quick.

touchfaith 08-12-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Need some advice from the Ootsters. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass before school starts. I wouldn't mind some fat either - just hopefully more muscle than fat. I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this? Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Street Fighter [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too! I'm 5'10"/135 and need to put on some extra poundage so I can bag some hottie forum chicks!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

08-12-2005 01:15 PM

I'm not aspiring to be all county '95. That's just way out of my league.

08-12-2005 01:15 PM

Well, if you want to get fat you can: play something ( which I will not mention) all day; eat at buffets for every meal, and drink lots of beer and eat chicken wings like they're going out of style.

Just my 2 cents.

MHarris 08-12-2005 01:18 PM

If you really want to add mass, put more effort into your chest and back. Do heavy decline presses, incline presses, and bent-over rows, and get some lat pulldowns and seated rows in too. Diet-wise, try to take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day. 12-15 pounds in a month is a little unreasonable, but is pretty attainable in 2-2 1/2 months.

RunDownHouse 08-12-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not into impressing a bunch of sweaty guys. I'm more concerned with improving my self image and feeling good. I don't work out for other people at the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I meant to say that, by and large, the guys that look like douchebags in the weight room actually are douchebags.

Make sure you wipe your hair "product" off the bench after you use it, too.

CallMeIshmael 08-12-2005 01:34 PM

http://www.hkfilm.net/sprsf2.jpg

KaneKungFu123 08-12-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], you're 6'2" and you weigh 150!? Start eating some [censored] chicken breast and brown rice right quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeNaked 08-12-2005 01:43 PM

Gotta do squats bro. Working the largest muscles in your body stimulates growth hormones including testosterone. Everyone knows why you don't do 'em - you have chicken legs and they are friggin agony to do. But you have to sack up and do em.

Jakethesnake is right (for once) - do exercises that work your largest, integrated muscle groups.

From, another skinny fella (I was 6'2" 140 my freshmen year of college)

jakethebake 08-12-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jakethesnake is right (for once)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Glenn 08-12-2005 01:55 PM

Go to www.skinnyguy.net and buy the program. The site is kind of cheesy, but the program books are great. People who are naturally bigger have an easier time putting on mass, so most work out programs will work for them. The only thing that will work for skinny guys, however, is a program built around compound excercises, good diet, and plenty of recovery time. The materials not only outline what you should do, they explain why all of it works. They even have forums to discuss your progress and ask questions to other members. The constant support, even if it is just reading about the success of others, keeps you motivated those weeks where you work hard and lose a pound or two..

jon_1van 08-12-2005 02:02 PM

ok, a serious reply

Get on a rowing maching, stay there for at least 20 minutes. Repeat daily.

Eat lots of protien.

Why row? It works, legs, abs, upper back, lower back, biceps, triceps, and forearms.

So its a serious work out.

Also keep in mind that buring a little fat when you are building muscle will help the muscle stand out.

Glenn 08-12-2005 02:04 PM

Rowing is not a good exercise for building mass. It will tone you and make you stronger, but to gain mass you must lift heavy weights. Also, doing it every day is a terrible idea as you grow when you are resting, not when you are working out.

jon_1van 08-12-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rowing is not a good exercise for building mass. It will tone you and make you stronger, but to gain mass you must lift heavy weights. Also, doing it every day is a terrible idea as you grow when you are resting, not when you are working out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowing isn't great for building mass. But come on, does the OP really want mass? No, he wants to look decent with his shirt off. You don't do "just arms" looking for mass.

And this whole business about "needing" days off....nah. I rowed in college, I only has Sundays off. I build plenty of muscle without much rest

Glenn 08-12-2005 02:12 PM

A 6'2 150 lb guy needs to do a lot more than just get toned to look good with his shirt off. As far of how you built muscle in college while rowing every day--of course you did, but you would have built more with more rest. Also, you have to understand that skinny guys have a much harder time putting on muscle, so things that will work for people with more average builds will not work for them.

Eegs 08-12-2005 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they feed you?

nickg1532 08-12-2005 02:18 PM

eat until you're completely stuffed.....and then eat some more. seriously.

and don't just work out your arms. there are lots of big muscles all over your body that will add some weight as they grow. the muscles in your arms are small compared to your chest, back, legs, etc.

Subfallen 08-12-2005 02:20 PM

Why the hell are you posting this on OOT instead of www.t-nation.com?

lu_hawk 08-12-2005 02:25 PM

why is anyone giving this guy serious advice. his name is street fighter, and he says he wants to gain 15 lbs in one month to look more like guile. and he only does arm exercises.

jakethebake 08-12-2005 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is anyone giving this guy serious advice. his name is street fighter, and he says he wants to gain 15 lbs in one month to look more like guile. and he only does arm exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is Guile?

diebitter 08-12-2005 02:39 PM

Do some heavy leg work - squats, leg presses etc. This'll build muscle all over as fast as you naturally can.

handsome 08-12-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is Guile?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what to say...

dynamite 08-12-2005 05:42 PM

Check out

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

It's called MAX OT and it is sweet.

dynamite

tdarko 08-12-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
really, yikes. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahhh thats why.

just so you know your arms won't actually get BIGGER until you put on mass and weight throughout your body, they may get a little more tone but no chance of getting bigger.

M2d 08-12-2005 05:52 PM

1) It's Ootiots. there's no such thing as an "Ootster"
2) Like many others here have said, you gotta quit the arm workout and mix in some big, compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, power cleans, maybe bench.
3) no way you're going to gain this weight in a month with out chemical assistance. Even with it, it's a big dog to happen. People are amazed at professional athletes who come back from the off season with 15 lbs of muscle after a chemically enhanced workout baccanalia. this is a professional athlete with an entire offseason to train. No way a high school kid with no base is going to do this in a month.
4) Everyone in this thread is apparently more experienced in this subject matter than you are, and most are disagreeing with both your goals and your methods of attaining those goals. why would you disagree with them? If you disagree with them so vehemently, why would you pose it as a question here in the firstplace. OOT isn't exactly a place to come for a bunch of attaboys and get smoke blown up your ass.
5) if you really don't care much about the fat/muscle gain ratio, you could just vow not to have any bowel movements from now until then.

CollinEstes 08-12-2005 05:55 PM

Easy ways to gain weight. I weighted 155 and got to 170 in 6 months doing the following.

1. Drank Slim fast with all my meals and between meals
2. Eat hard-boiled eggs alot
3. Eat PB&J sandwiches between meals.
4. Drank a milkshake before I went to sleep, and then set my alarm for 3:30am and got up and drank another one before going back to bed.
5. Always eating 5 solid meals a day.

But I worked out 6 days a week for about 2 hours a day.
It sucked.