Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Game selection poll (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=312852)

meow_meow 08-11-2005 09:52 AM

Game selection poll

I used to do C, but I no longer think this is necessarily a good idea. I've heard of people doing D, but I have very limited playing time, so that's not for me.
Now I'm doing B, but I have a sneaking suspicion that other people doing B are making the tables with the best fish not so great overall...

Lost Wages 08-11-2005 10:10 AM

Re: Game selection poll

First I do B. But just because you find a buddy lister doesn't mean that it's going to be a good table. If it is then I get on the list. If I can't find enough tables that way then I do D, though if you datamine you only need about 1 minute not 15.

Lost Wages

08-11-2005 10:34 AM

A. After a couple orbits PT will show me which tables are tight or not. 2 orbits isn't snot on sample size for 1 person, but as a table average you've got 5x12 = 60 hands played by opponents. You should have a decent guess at the overall opponent VPIP by then.

steaknshake925 08-11-2005 10:50 AM

a combination of C and B

Poldi 08-11-2005 10:55 AM

I do D and am pretty happy with it.

Anders_G 08-11-2005 10:57 AM

I use a combination of A and D. I just sit down at random tables and se if I can get position on a fish (on who I already have stats). If not, rince and repeat.

MrTeddyKGB 08-11-2005 11:02 AM

A - 10/20 or lower

D 20/40 or higher for at least an hour.

witeknite 08-11-2005 11:28 AM

I do A, but bail in an orbit or two if the table's no good. I have only activily sought one fish in my entire playing career and that was on PokerRoom. I prefer to constantly find new fish.

WiteKnite

twankerr 08-11-2005 11:36 AM

A and if the table is good I look at my seat. If my seat is no good I'll wait til the seat I want opens up and then I'll deal out and move to that seat. I don't care how sneaky I look to the players whos left I'm moving to.

Lost Wages 08-11-2005 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care how sneaky I look to the players whos left I'm moving to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes use two skins for seat moves.

Lost Wages

meow_meow 08-11-2005 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care how sneaky I look to the players whos left I'm moving to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes use two skins for seat moves.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't fool me when Lost_Wages_1 left the table and Lost_Wages_2 moved to my left....

MrWookie47 08-11-2005 12:41 PM

I've taken to sitting at empty tables recently. They then fill up with random donks rather than the rocks who've been waiting in line for a while. Seat selection at a given good table may work out to be less than great, but if the players are all terrible, it's worth it. It's also great if the first people to sit don't understand HU and 3 handed play all that well.

Joe Tall 08-11-2005 01:18 PM

I don't do any of these.

wowacedude 08-11-2005 01:31 PM

I use my buddylist, and wait for the two seats to his left.

PokerBob 08-11-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do any of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

JrJordan 08-11-2005 01:33 PM

E.) Open up tables with the largest pots, sit out for an orbit to evaluate the table as well as load up PV stats for a general outline.

meow_meow 08-11-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't do any of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough teasing already

ddubois 08-11-2005 05:25 PM

I do a combination of all of that. I try to get to a state where I'm playing ~3 tables on empire relatively quickly, and meanwhile try to keep up 4 tables of party observing to look for new games to be swapped in - a sort of feeder system. I use both buddy list and pot size to get those initial empire tables up, and pot size to select which party tables to observe. After that I swap out empire tables for whichever party observed tables look good, and get party back up to 4 when I get a chance.

08-11-2005 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
E.) Open up tables with the largest pots, sit out for an orbit to evaluate the table as well as load up PV stats for a general outline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. The pot's large from either a ton of limpers OR 3 moronic sociopaths raising and reraising everything.

Poldi 08-11-2005 06:33 PM

If the table looks good (lets say 2 45 VPIP-players to your right, the other 2 ~25VPIP) but the player directly to your left has stats like 70/15/1, do you sit down?
Table looks awesome but you will get the button considerably less often than with a tight player behind you.

JrJordan 08-11-2005 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the table looks good (lets say 2 45 VPIP-players to your right, the other 2 ~25VPIP) but the player directly to your left has stats like 70/15/1, do you sit down?
Table looks awesome but you will get the button considerably less often than with a tight player behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more than made for due to the fact that a 70/15 player is god awful and will pay you off, even when you are out of position.

SomethingClever 08-11-2005 07:19 PM

I don't go for the absolute largest pot size, because I think that attracts other good players.

I go for decent pot size tables. After GT+ gets running, I dump the ones that actually suck and find a few new ones.

Repeat until all my tables are good. I've almost always got one table going to [censored].

yanicehand 08-11-2005 07:24 PM

I really wonder what value I lose by doing a mix of A and C.

Dudd 08-11-2005 07:27 PM

I used to be so good at table selection with Poker-Edge, open a bunch of tables and find ones filled with loose fish. Now though, I just do A and try and rotate out bad tables. Damn Party for blocking my table selection tool, now I have to start datamining on my own.

wackjob 08-11-2005 08:03 PM

I think at the higher limits that table selection may be more important. Maybe some 20/40 30/60 players can comment. I think just about any 5/10 table you sit at is gonna have at least 1-2 fish.

yanicehand 08-11-2005 08:06 PM

I literally had never even heard of Poker Edge until it was banned... looks like I missed out.

yanicehand 08-11-2005 08:07 PM

When I play higher limits without 6 max, I use extreme game selection, but only because it's easier to look at every single game running short and decide which the best is, if any at all are worth playing.

GetThere1Time 08-11-2005 08:08 PM

I think sorting by pot size is the absolute easiest way to fid a good table. Sure the table may get bad after a while but I rarely have problems with finding a lot of action fast when using the pot size sort.

Stoli7 08-11-2005 09:01 PM

Picking the tables with largest average pots is IMHO overated for game selection. I rather have a lot of passive ppl that calls down and doesn't do a lot of raising especially when I play several (3+) tables.

Emmitt2222 08-11-2005 09:04 PM

With PE table selection was a beautiful thing, but since then I have found a decent way. I use Partymine and run it every night, sometimes during theday, and I use PA which pops up the stats before sitting down. I usually have stats on at least half the table if not all. I haven't found a great way to find good tables shorthanded, but at full ring if you picked up the tables that were shorthanded they were almost always comprised of fish. I think that the mediocre TAGs don't like shorthanded so that meant only the fish would be playing them. I discovered that if anything, the lowest pot average could be better than the high pot average because TAGs go for high pot averages even though it usually means nothing.

arkady 08-12-2005 01:45 AM

sit down and never post...within a few orbits you can generally tell how good or bad a table is. some limits the selection is limited, but back in 10/20 6max i sat in a middle average pot and checked out what was happening.