Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Nasty NL book rumors (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310592)

thedorf 08-08-2005 04:13 PM

Nasty NL book rumors

in a recent post on this forum entitled something like, ī"good no limit cash game books" someone said that harrington and robertie were writing a NL cash game book. That would seem like direct competition for sklansky millerīs book thatīs supposed to come out soon. Could Someone please gimme the straight dope on whether this is true (iīm pretty sure itīs not) and, more importantly, does anyone really know the release date for the sklansky miller book. I mean if itīs coming out in september it seems pretty ridiculous for two plus two to have said so little about it in the recent past.

Niediam 08-08-2005 04:34 PM

Re: Nasty NL book rumors

Ed recently posted that is was NOT comming out in September but did not specify when the it would be released...

Mason Malmuth 08-08-2005 04:35 PM

Hi dorf:

Harrington and Robertie are not doing a cash game book as far as I know. The Sklansky/Miller book is expected by the end of the year but that date is flexible.

Best wishes,
Mason

thedorf 08-08-2005 04:44 PM

Thanks mason. the introduction of NL cash games is killing my limit action at my local b&m and iīm anxious to get into the nl games but wouldnīt mind a little help first. cheers
dorf

That guy 08-08-2005 05:38 PM

<<the introduction of NL cash games is killing my limit action at my local b&m>>

just curious, of all the hold em games at your B+M.. what is the count for each: limit & NL??

in San Francisco recently at 'Lucky Chances', while I was waiting I counted 9 NL games and 16 limit games...

btw, 1-1-2 NL with $4 bring-in is 8 of 9 tables... wildly popular game...

thedorf 08-08-2005 05:48 PM

most of the time itīs one nl game to 6-9 limit games but itīs gotten as high as four nl games. itīs a 5-5 blinds with a 200 dollar min max buy in. killing the other games.

Ed Miller 08-08-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed recently posted that is was NOT comming out in September but did not specify when the it would be released...

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward in the same way no book as even close to touched Theory of Poker. And the only way a "competitive" book would come out after six months is if a very smart person read it and tried to adapt and extend upon it.

Just a little Sklansky-esque bravado to whet your appetite.

pastabatman 08-08-2005 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You are pure evil. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Can't wait.

ipp147 08-08-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ed,

A quick question.

To what game level will the book be aimed?

For instance I would say that alot of SSHE could be applied from microlimits right upto some of the higher full ring online games.

Will that be the case in the NL book?

imported_anacardo 08-08-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward in the same way no book as even close to touched Theory of Poker. And the only way a "competitive" book would come out after six months is if a very smart person read it and tried to adapt and extend upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You [censored] tease.

My heart, she is on fire with desire for this book.

uuDevil 08-08-2005 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...no book as even close to touched Theory of Poker. And the only way a "competitive" book would come out after six months is if a very smart person read it and tried to adapt and extend upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reading TOP for the second time. I was a beginner when I read it the first time and I thought I understood it pretty well. I was wrong. I am now struck by the realization that even the best books I have read since then (SSH, WTOHP, HOH) are good because they include restatements, extensions, clarifications, and examples of the ideas in TOP. Great as it may be, I expect the same will be true of this NL book.

Ed Miller 08-08-2005 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, the book is going to blow people away. I have utter confidence that there will be no "competitive" book coming out before or within six months afterward

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ed,

A quick question.

To what game level will the book be aimed?

For instance I would say that alot of SSHE could be applied from microlimits right upto some of the higher full ring online games.

Will that be the case in the NL book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of this book as "The Theory of No Limit Poker". It's not aimed at any type of game, just as TOP isn't aimed at any type of game.

ipp147 08-08-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of this book as "The Theory of No Limit Poker". It's not aimed at any type of game, just as TOP isn't aimed at any type of game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed. I'll stick it on my christmas list for santa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

amulet 08-08-2005 07:55 PM

book IS coming

with all due respect i believe they are still planning on writing one. it got pushed until after the 2nd book they are working on. however, things could change. if they do, i am sure it will be a 2+2 book.

as far as competition (ed miller's comments aside), i think there is room for 2 good nl cash game books. now that the harrington robertie book was pushed back because they wanted to write something else 1st, i think the two will be at least 6 months apart.

New York Jet 08-08-2005 08:38 PM

I hope you are right Ed. Mason pimped HoH II as a book that would...
[ QUOTE ]
cause a sensation because of it's discussion of what the authors Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie call "Inflection Points."

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it fell short of causing a sensation. Anyone playing SnGs and reading the STT forum regularly was already aware of this. You said yourself that... [ QUOTE ]
several HUNDRED THOUSAND people are going to read the book. The concepts of tournament poker are not going to be as obvious to every one of them as they are to you.

[/ QUOTE ] SSH on the other hand did cause a sensation, even for regular small stakes players.

I guess what I am wondering is, will the new NLH book cause a sensation among 2+2 regulars or just the general public?

amulet 08-08-2005 08:53 PM

since ssh was great and ds's books have been great, we all expect you to write another great book. however, i believe there is room in the market place for 2 terrific nl cash game books. i look forward to buying yours.

greatwhite 08-08-2005 10:40 PM

So by no limit poker poker do you mean that it will be just as helpful for the less popular nl games like lowball or omaha as it will be for hold'em?

KaneKungFu123 08-09-2005 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does that mean you are actually going beyond ABC?

turnipmonster 08-09-2005 01:56 PM

hi ed,
in your opinion, how much of this book will present new concepts vs. codifying existing concepts? really looking forward to reading it.

ddollevoet 08-09-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed. I'll stick it on my christmas list for santa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife asked me if I wanted this book for Christmas (as I've been talking about it for a while). I told her NO!!! I would have read by then.

Nanook 08-11-2005 11:37 AM

OK, now that we know the nature of the book and an ETA, for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

greatwhite 08-11-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, now that we know the nature of the book and an ETA, for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

[/ QUOTE ]I just got Ciaffone's book, Pot Limit and No Limit Poker and it is pretty good. TJ's book and How Good is Your Pot Limit Hold'em are the only other books I know with Pot Limit Hold'em. For No Limit Hold'em I would also read the Super System. I also agree that Harrington can teach you many concepts relative to cash games in his books though. One other book that might be helpful is Play Poker Like the Pros. I've only read the omaha sections when I was at the book store one time. Can anyone tell me if this section covers anything new?

Nanook 08-11-2005 04:35 PM

Thanks GW, I'll take a look at these. I actually have Harrington's books currently being shipped, so I will start with these. Some of the reviews of Cloutier's books consider him too tight, but I suppose that would not be a big problem when one is dipping a toe into the PL and NL water.

Thanks again for your input.

Nanook

Easy E 08-11-2005 04:40 PM

Such a tease....

You'd better back this up! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Niwa 08-11-2005 07:26 PM

I want that book so bad.

JohnG 08-11-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone's 2 books are written from the perspective of a limit player wanting to learn PL and NL. Someone mentioned one of them. The other is improve your poker.

kagame 08-11-2005 08:14 PM

WTF

Ciaffones Big Bet book already did this

and its not for limit players, its a highly advanced guide to NL

the 2+2 book will blow in comparison guaranteed

that said, im buying it because itll be the second best thing available and im curious

kitaristi0 08-12-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful.

Alex/Mugaaz 08-12-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF

that said, im buying it because itll be the second best thing available and im curious

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that highly of Ciaffone's book? I really didn't think it was exceptional. I mean that in the sense of "Woah, I never thought of that". It's exceptional when compared to every other NL book (possible HOH1 exception), but it's not a user's manual.

greatwhite 08-12-2005 09:40 AM

Will this book cover pot limit theory too? I don't think it would be that much different.

KaneKungFu123 08-12-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

i got the most outta super system 1 nl section. i think its by far the best.

although caf's book was good too, i guess.

greatwhite 08-12-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

i got the most outta super system 1 nl section. i think its by far the best.

although caf's book was good too, i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]Let's be honest. Doyle's section is very outdated.

burningyen 08-12-2005 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest. Doyle's section is very outdated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of it is, some of it isn't, and the parts that aren't are still pretty powerful stuff.

jakethebake 08-12-2005 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest. Doyle's section is very outdated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of it is, some of it isn't, and the parts that aren't are still pretty powerful stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

the parts that aren't are the important parts anyway.

Stephen Gray 08-12-2005 03:00 PM

I disagree. If you ignore the intro and go to where he discusses the actual play of hands, you have a superb piece of NL poker literature.

08-12-2005 03:04 PM

why would i want to read a NL cash game book by sklansky?

greatwhite 08-12-2005 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would i want to read a NL cash game book by sklansky?

[/ QUOTE ]Sklansky is the top poker author in the world. Maybe I should of worded my other post a little bit better. All I was saying is that their are some things in that book that won't always work today and keep in mind that who he was playing is different than the type of people we are playing today. He even said that he had to change his strategy since he written his book. Although I think Doyle has some of the best info on nl in his book I think there is more that needs to be written on this subject and alot more. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

MicroBob 08-12-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You think that highly of Ciaffone's book? I really didn't think it was exceptional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Pretty good...but certainly not mind-blowing.

I have every reason to believe the Miller/Sklansky book will be truly incredible in many respects.

And I wish they would hurry-up and finish it already!!!! (i've been waiting for several months ever since Mason announced it was on the horizon)

MicroBob 08-12-2005 04:56 PM

Re: book IS coming

[ QUOTE ]
with all due respect i believe they are still planning on writing one. it got pushed until after the 2nd book they are working on. however, things could change. if they do, i am sure it will be a 2+2 book.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect...how the hell would you know this while Mason doesn't?

Why would it be a 2+2 book even if they DID do it. Seems that Sklansky and Miller already have that covered and I'm not sure why 2+2 would want to put out a 2nd NL cash-game book by Harrington/Robertie.

Unless maybe Sklansky/Miller is more of a 'theory' book (like TOP) and Harrington/Robertie is more of a NLHE 'instructional' book (more like SSHE or HEFAP).

Still...it strikes me as unlikely that Mason wouldn't know of such plans for a book to be published by his OWN COMPANY.

Bartman387 08-12-2005 06:33 PM

Re: book IS coming

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect...how the hell would you know this while Mason doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing...

[ QUOTE ]
Unless maybe Sklansky/Miller is more of a 'theory' book (like TOP) and Harrington/Robertie is more of a NLHE 'instructional' book (more like SSHE or HEFAP).

[/ QUOTE ]
If memory serves me correct I'm pretty sure Ed said exactly this. That it would be a book that presents theory on all NL in general, like how TOP is presents theory on all of POker in general. So this could be a possibility I suppose. Does Harrington even play cash games?? I've only heard his name in referemce to tournament play.