Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A10 in BB vs button Raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308597)

Jeoke 08-05-2005 04:48 PM

A10 in BB vs button Raise

Button is Tight Aggressive.

I was lost in this hand, how should I of played it?

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 04:55 PM

Re: A10 in BB vs button Raise

Preflop: If villain is tight-aggressive, I think you can fold this. You'll be heads-up and he's most likely raising with a decent hand (although I suppose he could be stealing with something a bit weaker).

Flop/Turn: I'm not sure I like the bet on either street here. Yeah, it's a decent semi-bluff, but he could accidentally have a heart higher than your T. If that's the case, a TAG is not folding. I would rather check/call on the flop. If he checks the flop also, I would lead out on the turn, semi-bluffing the ten-high flush draw. Otherwise, I would check/call the turn is well.

River: Standard Clarkmeister. Bet. If you get raised, you can probably fold against a TAG. He would likely only be raising with a strong flush here.

Doc7 08-05-2005 04:57 PM

What is a "Standard Clarkmeister"?

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a "Standard Clarkmeister"?

[/ QUOTE ]

This.

onthebutton 08-05-2005 05:13 PM

I asked this question myself. I believe it's betting into a four flush board no matter if you have one of the suit or not.

deception5 08-05-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: If villain is tight-aggressive, I think you can fold this. You'll be heads-up and he's most likely raising with a decent hand (although I suppose he could be stealing with something a bit weaker).

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding this to a button raise would be bad. You're very likely to be ahead _especially_ against a tag who will often be trying to steal the blinds.

The only question preflop here is whether to raise or call.

aces_dad 08-05-2005 05:19 PM

Exactly, the TAG's are the ones who steal with 36o with position. If he's stolen (or attempted to) often from me, this is a re-raise pf.

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding this to a button raise would be bad. You're very likely to be ahead _especially_ against a tag who will often be trying to steal the blinds.

The only question preflop here is whether to raise or call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, after considering it a little more, I don't think we wanna fold this. Raising is betting than calling, in my opinion. It gives much more weight to betting out of position the whole way down.

Eeegah 08-05-2005 05:22 PM

I'd be tempted to 3-bet to take control of the hand, but I'm not too skilled with HU so I could be wrong.

Played the flop and turn fine. Bet the river and expect the villain to fold.

Eeegah 08-05-2005 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: Standard Clarkmeister. Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a Clarkmeister since we actually have the flush; betting isn't a bluff. There's no way in hell I'm folding to a raise.

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no way in hell I'm folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a TAG raising this river with?

deception5 08-05-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a Clarkmeister since we actually have the flush; betting isn't a bluff. There's no way in hell I'm folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually. Clarkmeister says whether you have it or not.

silkyslim 08-05-2005 05:33 PM

I'd 3-bet preflop. I think that would be std blind defense, no? I like betting out flop, as you can just call villian's raise and draw to your [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Leading the turn is fine too, as he showed weakness and might fold to a bigger bet if he doesnt have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. River id bet/call. If you check he might check thru your flush and thats bad.

gopnik 08-05-2005 05:35 PM

hero bets and calls a raise.

ThaHero 08-05-2005 05:36 PM

Against a TAG, a blind steal is highly likely. I'd 3-bet and see what he does. Either way I think I'm leading the flop.

Definately bet the river. Call a raise. The 10 high flush is decent, but the smaller [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s lower your chances slightly.

gopnik 08-05-2005 05:39 PM

if you were semi-bluffing all the way, why would you check when you hit????? I think a TAG would have raised the flop with a big heart.

aK13 08-05-2005 06:55 PM

You MUST 3bet or fold preflop. I typically 3bet against 25% blind steal or more, fold if worse. Bet/call that river dude.

Eeegah 08-05-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? A six? Rivered two pair? A bluff?

TomBrooks 08-05-2005 07:26 PM

Why did you take the action on each street that you did? If you don't know, you need to work on deciding why you do what you do. One technique is to articulate it to yourself mentally or even out loud on every action.

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a bluff is the most likely of any of those, followed by the 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], perhaps something like A9. I don't know what a TAG was stealing with that would have rivered him two pair.

That said, I still don't see the TAG raising this river with anything we beat more than the necessary 10.8% of the time we'd need to call the raise profitably. Could anybody think of a decent range of hands?

Bradyams 08-05-2005 08:39 PM

I don't think we should bet the river. If Button is a TAG he's not calling down with a worse flush draw, or just a pair. He might have overcards, but those will hit the muck as soon as you bet the river. I think this is a very easy check/call.

Eeegah 08-05-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I still don't see the TAG raising this river with anything we beat more than the necessary 10.8% of the time we'd need to call the raise profitably. Could anybody think of a decent range of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damned near any two. Our betting every street isn't indicative of a pure flush draw, while the villain's actions are. If he's following through with a steal, this is a perfect time to bluff.

Even if he has the flush, he'd likely raise with any flush card here since we're not representing one; barring an unlikely straight flush there are 4 flushes we beat and 3 we don't. We're good far, far more than 10% of the time here.

Jeoke 08-05-2005 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], quite a few hands beat me.

Also wouldnt a TAG of been more aggressive on the earlier streets if he had a pair? especially a 8?

thesharpie 08-05-2005 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we should bet the river. If Button is a TAG he's not calling down with a worse flush draw, or just a pair. He might have overcards, but those will hit the muck as soon as you bet the river. I think this is a very easy check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and am suprised noone else likes a river check.

Jeoke 08-05-2005 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damned near any two. Our betting every street isn't indicative of a pure flush draw, while the villain's actions are. If he's following through with a steal, this is a perfect time to bluff.

Even if he has the flush, he'd likely raise with any flush card here since we're not representing one; barring an unlikely straight flush there are 4 flushes we beat and 3 we don't. We're good far, far more than 10% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I really be giving 1/2 players this much credit while playing? I feel that not giving players credit is one of my biggest leaks

arsixsixwy 08-05-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree and am suprised noone else likes a river check.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I think a check/call is a decent line, if not superior to pure Clarkmeister. I simply have not been convinced that betting and then calling a raise has any positive value.

J. Stew 08-05-2005 09:17 PM

Wouldn't this be a good time for a check call to induce a bet from a smaller heart and save a bet from a bigger heart who would reraise if we bet. Also it might induce a bluff from AK, AQ when we slow down to a four-heart board.