Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   WSOP "My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we're proud? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307090)

RoundersRocks! 08-03-2005 06:51 PM

WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re proud?

Does anyone else think that segment in the WSOP an coverage was irresponsible, for alot of reasons? Does ESPN have any official response to charges that they are glorifying gambling?
Just curious.

Paxosmotic 08-03-2005 06:54 PM

Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re proud?

ESPN is not our moral barometer and why shouldn't parents be proud of a successful child?

shaniac 08-03-2005 06:55 PM

Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re pr

Reporting on the dynamics and thoughts of one of the players and his parents is not promoting gambling any more than broadcasting a poker tournament tournament in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with dropping out of school to try something unconventional, and there's nothing irresponsible about documenting it.

Shilly 08-03-2005 07:10 PM

Who was this said about?

lighterjobs 08-03-2005 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who was this said about?

[/ QUOTE ]

gambleab

RoundersRocks! 08-03-2005 07:19 PM

I personally have no problem with it either, don't get me wrong. I am just saying I would like to see ESPN document a kid who dropped out of college to play poker and regrets it everyonce in awhile.

I know alot of kids who dropped out to play personally though, and that is why this particlar segment probably irked me.

That was just meant as an example though, my real question was does ESPN have any response to criticisms?

Jim T 08-03-2005 09:50 PM

Does ESPN have a similar responsibility to document the huge number of HS kids and college students who delusionally believe that they will make it as a professional athlete and don't bother study enought to get the free education that they "won't need"?

Voltron87 08-03-2005 10:03 PM

parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

Scorpion 08-03-2005 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok because the average US worker makes around $40,000 per year. Horray college.

krabby5 08-03-2005 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

I have a degree in accounting and I hate my career. I couldn't care less about my degree, because I'm not happy in my career choice. If playing poker makes you happy and it allows you to live the way you want to, that's good enough for me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Voltron87 08-03-2005 10:52 PM

well everyones different, im not going to tell someone else how to live their life or what they will find satisfying. but to me, poker is not very fulfilling, at least in the long run. its not about money.

if there are people who know they were born to be a pro poker player, good for them, do it. but thats not me. i also wouldnt let my kid drop out of college to play poker, or i would at least do everything i could to stop it. i think its a poor decision, if you can afford it.

Quicksilvre 08-03-2005 10:54 PM

That depends on how much happiness you have and how you contribute to society.

HouseBlouse 08-03-2005 10:55 PM

If I had a kid i wouldn't let them drop out to play poker. in fact my parents won't let me drop out and play poker. but the difference between me and my parents is that if my kid wanted to play poker proffesionally after college i'd be down

curtains 08-03-2005 11:07 PM

All I can say is that Im happy my parents never forced me to finish college.

csuf_gambler 08-03-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

I have a degree in accounting and I hate my career. I couldn't care less about my degree, because I'm not happy in my career choice. If playing poker makes you happy and it allows you to live the way you want to, that's good enough for me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you a CPA? i have to decide my degree pretty soon. thinking about accounting and being a CPA. why don't you like it? they had this presentation in my accounting class, it said that accounting majors make the most money straight out of college then any other major.

GambleAB 08-03-2005 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had a kid i wouldn't let them drop out to play poker. in fact my parents won't let me drop out and play poker. but the difference between me and my parents is that if my kid wanted to play poker proffesionally after college i'd be down

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe thats why you don't have any children, because you view them as "things" to have control over and not individuals to shape into better people. I love my parents very much not only for the morals and values that they instilled in me, but for the freedom and support that they gave me in all aspects of my life. I paid for college 100%, which is why the choice was mine and mine alone. If you watch the coverage and/or read the newspaper articles that have been written on the subject, you will see that my mother was always somewhat against the notion of me "gambling" for a living, but over time grew to understand that it was a viable career choice, and one that I exhibited proficient skill at to be successful at a high level. This is what good parents do: they SUPPORT even if they are not fully convinced themselves, because they trust that the way they raised their child will help him/her make the correct decisions in life, and that he/she will have to learn from mistakes made in life.

Broadsword 08-03-2005 11:18 PM

Aaron,

You tellem".... CU later...

FoxwoodsFiend 08-03-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe thats why you don't have any children, because you view them as "things" to have control over and not individuals to shape into better people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt the immediate cause of his lack of children is his objectification of children-that's hardly ever the deciding factor for most women.

HouseBlouse 08-03-2005 11:40 PM

The reason I don't' have children yet is that I'm 21 and I still have lots to do before i get married and have children.

And I guess what I said wasn't the best way to say it. I don't mean to objectify children the way i said it just made it seem that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really wanted to say that I would give more trust and support to my children in their future choice of profession than my parents have given me.

TransientR 08-03-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would becoming 'incredibly rich' playing poker make any difference to the merits of the activity? And I'm guessing your criteria for 'incredibly rich' excludes all living poker players, or what can be made playing poker.

And all this piffle about contributing to society....

How many college grads really contribute to the betterment of human kind?

Very few people have the talent to really make a difference to humanity, and most college grads are thinking about making bucks, not improving society.

If you can make a living playing poker and that floats your boat, is that any worse than grinding it out as a miserable mid-level manager/executive for some multinational?

And yes, Bush proves you can underachieve your whole life, and still become the 'leader of the free world.' To which I reply - the first rule of ethical conduct is "do no harm." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

tylerdurden 08-03-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them that work. Those that invest their earnings contribute twice. Productive work betters everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Very few people have the talent to really make a difference to humanity, and most college grads are thinking about making bucks, not improving society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making bucks *is* improving society. Well, "earning" bucks, engaging in transactions, increasing GDP. Playing poker doesn't create wealth, it only transfers it. This discussion has played out about 400x before.

Voltron87 08-04-2005 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would becoming 'incredibly rich' playing poker make any difference to the merits of the activity? And I'm guessing your criteria for 'incredibly rich' excludes all living poker players, or what can be made playing poker.

If you can make a living playing poker and that floats your boat, is that any worse than grinding it out as a miserable mid-level manager/executive for some multinational?

And yes, Bush proves you can underachieve your whole life, and still become the 'leader of the free world.' To which I reply - the first rule of ethical conduct is "do no harm." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

your post doesnt make much sense. where did i say contributing to mankind? and when i said incredibly rich, i meant if i could have enough money to do whatever i wanted. 200k a year is a ton of money, but it is not wealth. playing poker just doesnt float my boat, i never said it shouldnt for everybody.

Voltron87 08-04-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe thats why you don't have any children, because you view them as "things" to have control over and not individuals to shape into better people. I love my parents very much not only for the morals and values that they instilled in me, but for the freedom and support that they gave me in all aspects of my life. I paid for college 100%, which is why the choice was mine and mine alone. If you watch the coverage and/or read the newspaper articles that have been written on the subject, you will see that my mother was always somewhat against the notion of me "gambling" for a living, but over time grew to understand that it was a viable career choice, and one that I exhibited proficient skill at to be successful at a high level. This is what good parents do: they SUPPORT even if they are not fully convinced themselves, because they trust that the way they raised their child will help him/her make the correct decisions in life, and that he/she will have to learn from mistakes made in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

kids are stupid. you sound naive.

Howard Treesong 08-04-2005 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect you'll be a bit surprised at how difficult this is, Gamble, after you have children. It is extraordinarily difficult to repress articulating the decisions you would make if you were in your child's shoes; it is much harder to remember that making memorable mistakes helps a child how to learn to make correct decisions down the road. More difficult still is the remembrance of your child as a powerless newborn, without any capacity for decisionmaking: that first impression is at times deucedly difficult to overcome.

I would like to think that I would universally support my childrens' career choices, as you suggest.

All that said, I heartily applaud your mom's support of your prop betting career. Without it, I might well be about $500 poorer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Howard Treesong 08-04-2005 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kids are stupid. you sound naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this exchange, Gamble sounds substantially more articulate and perceptive than you, sir.

Steve00007 08-04-2005 01:07 AM

-[ QUOTE ]
Does ESPN have a similar responsibility to document the huge number of HS kids and college students who delusionally believe that they will make it as a professional athlete and don't bother study enought to get the free education that they "won't need"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Education can help aspiring poker players quite a bit. I'd much rather try to become proficient in poker with strong backgrounds in math and English than try to succeed at poker without those skills. Moreover, if someone is poorly educated, and doesn't have much experience and knowledge when it comes to studying, it will be much more difficult for that person to pick up poker books and learn the game. Philosophy can be helpful as well, and there may be some other useful subjects that I haven't thought of yet.

Voltron87 08-04-2005 01:20 AM

what is unreasonable about my posts in this thread?

augie00 08-04-2005 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

you a CPA? i have to decide my degree pretty soon. thinking about accounting and being a CPA. why don't you like it? they had this presentation in my accounting class, it said that accounting majors make the most money straight out of college then any other major.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because, you know, working sucks. But I don't know.

TobDog 08-04-2005 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the parents footing that bill or the students themselves paying back thos loans for 10 years to get out of debt in their effort to "get ahead"

TransientR 08-04-2005 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your post doesnt make much sense. where did i say contributing to mankind? and when i said incredibly rich, i meant if i could have enough money to do whatever i wanted. 200k a year is a ton of money, but it is not wealth. playing poker just doesnt float my boat, i never said it shouldnt for everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't like poker enough to do it for a living, and poker won't earn you enough money to make you 'incredibly rich,' is that the gist of what you are saying?

Frank

Steve00007 08-04-2005 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if the average poker player who tries to earn a living from the game even makes $40,000 a year. There are so many losers at the game, and so many people who are undisciplined with their money, that it's a really difficult thing to do for many folks out there.

Steve00007 08-04-2005 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the parents footing that bill or the students themselves paying back thos loans for 10 years to get out of debt in their effort to "get ahead"

[/ QUOTE ]

That beats two of the main alternatives:

1. Don't play poker as a pro, and don't go to school. Just work at Burger King for the rest of your life. Of course, some people will do better than this, but they are certainly not the norm.

Or

2. Try to earn your living as a poker player, and waste part of your life away while you are a loser at the game. Of course, some people will win and do fine, but they are the exception, not the norm.

Also, your example of paying to get out debt often isn't the case.

Finally, there are more reasons to go to school besides trying to get ahead or make more money. The most obvious reason is to have an increased amount of knowledge. Despite the amount of money that is spent on it, the public school education system in this country is a joke. The average high school graduate has no command of history, mathematics, science, argumentation/debate/logic, and even the English language. After all those years of school, far too many students don't even know how to properly study for something. I had a lot of years in school where I barely learned a thing, and I don't believe my experience is uncommon at all.

dibbs 08-04-2005 06:10 AM

If someone makes a lot of money doesnt mean your life isn't a "failure" FWIW. Living a very fufilling and happy life without much money sure as hell shouldnt be classified as a failure.

curtains 08-04-2005 06:38 AM

I just don't get these recurring debates. For some people it's probably a great thing to attend college. For other people it's not. To argue otherwise or to assume that one knows what's best for everyone seems ridiculous to me.

45suited 08-04-2005 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that segment in the WSOP an coverage was irresponsible, for alot of reasons? Does ESPN have any official response to charges that they are glorifying gambling? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN covers successful people who did not graduate from college all the time.

Maybe you've heard of them: The entire women's tennis tour, a large chunk of the men's golf tour, the vast majority of Major League Baseball players, a large chunk of the NHL (who came straight from Junior Leagues), Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett. Oh, and Lance Armstrong too. Should they defend themselves that they are glorifying tennis, golf, baseball, hockey, basketball, and the Tour de France as well?

So why get on your soapbox about poker? It's ESPN, not the Learning Channel.

jakethebake 08-04-2005 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that segment in the WSOP an coverage was irresponsible, for alot of reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

DarthIgnurnt 08-04-2005 09:48 AM

Couple of things ...

1) ESPN *is* my moral barometer.

2) You can either pay for college, which means you're drinking, f**king, and playing poker. Or, you can *not* go to college and just focus on drinking, f**king, and playing poker.

3) There's no "right" way to script your life. I have an ivy league degree (granted, it's from a crappy ivy league school). I make low six-figures playing poker, and mid six-figures in my job. I wonder every single day why I "hump my 40-hour job" (to you a GambleAB-ism), and why I went $100K in debt to get a silly degree.

anduril 08-04-2005 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jebus do you use cristal in your wheaties instead of milk or what? I'd be happy as a pig in sh*t to have that income.

Howard Treesong 08-04-2005 10:46 AM

You're not unreasonable. But Gamble seems closer to the mark on this one. Kids aren't stupid. Kids are just as smart as they're going to be when they grow up to be adults. Kids are naive, yes, and don't yet perceive how easy it is to make gross mistakes; but it's not at all clear that Gamble is so. He's substantially less naive than I was at his age, FWIW.

Voltron87 08-04-2005 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't like poker enough to do it for a living, and poker won't earn you enough money to make you 'incredibly rich,' is that the gist of what you are saying?

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i love to play poker, i enjoy it, and it is a great source of income for me right now. but it is not what i want to do for the next 30 years of my life. there are other things which interest me.