Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why do you stay married? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306937)

Indiana 08-03-2005 03:34 PM

Why do you stay married?

Interested in hearing from guys who have been married 3+ yrs. Why do you stay married? From what I hear (read jake's bar reports) there's a lot of tail running around out there and most of it isn't looking to restrict your poker time.

Indy

08-03-2005 03:38 PM

Re: Why do you stay married?

Too lazy to deal with paperwork and lawyers. Besides, you can always cheat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

married 8 wonderful years <sarcasm>

Indiana 08-03-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too lazy to deal with paperwork and lawyers.

[/ QUOTE ]
BIIIIIINNNNNGOOOOOO

codewarrior 08-03-2005 03:43 PM

Various reasons

#1 good sex [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
#2 she makes more money than I. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
#3 reason for #2 - she's a lawyer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
#4 ...for the IRS.... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

MoreWineII 08-03-2005 03:47 PM

I'm at two years but I'll answer. My wife is cool as hell. She's great around the house and she's a super mom. I'm still attracted to her and our sex life isn't bad.

Do I wish I could chase after some of the skirt I see on a daily basis? Sure. But I've already done all that stuff. I'm older now and I have to kids, I think there just came a point in time where I realized the whole singles scene wasn't for me anymore.

So I knocked up my g/f and married her. The whole marriage/kids thing has really helped me understand and accept myself and I think I'm pretty happy with how it all worked out.

My wife is pretty laid back. She lets me do a lot of things that a lot of wives wouldn't - i.e. smoke weed, game, play poker, do stuff with friends (with no guilt trips involved) I know it sounds corny, but she's my best friend. And I get to [censored] her on top of that so that's pretty sweet too.

My one real gripe is that I'm pretty open to a lot of sexual things that I don't know if she'll ever try or not. She came from a really conservative family but I'm working on her.

To summarize my rambling, I just think there comes a point in time where most people want some stability that Miss Random Bimbo can't give you.

Indiana 08-03-2005 03:48 PM

Re: Various reasons

[ QUOTE ]
#1 good sex

[/ QUOTE ]
I said guys who have been married 3+ yrs

[ QUOTE ]
#2 she makes more money than I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you multi-tabling?

[ QUOTE ]
#3 reason for #2 - she's a lawyer

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah chit dude, ur owned.

[ QUOTE ]
#4 ...for the IRS....

[/ QUOTE ]

They're too disorganized, they wouldn't even know if u filed or not.

Indy

Indiana 08-03-2005 03:50 PM

Damn dude, does your wife have a sister or something? I mean, she let's ur ass smoke weed? wtf?

Indy

codewarrior 08-03-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#1 good sex

[/ QUOTE ]
I said guys who have been married 3+ yrs

[/ QUOTE ]

Married in 1997, I think...

Indiana 08-03-2005 03:52 PM

and you're talking about sex WITH YOUR WIFE?

Indy

jakethebake 08-03-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you're talking about sex WITH YOUR WIFE?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

He said good...not frequent.

codewarrior 08-03-2005 03:59 PM

LOL, mortals... I'll let the tax chick chime in on this one.

Indiana 08-03-2005 04:11 PM

what about u jake? much harder to stay married down there than here in the cornfield. dude, last time in was in SOBE I had 4 different girlfriends in the same day. Woulda had more but they all broke me going shopping in that place...uh....what's it called, over there where the chesecake factory is...cant remember.

Indy

Indiana 08-03-2005 04:12 PM

oh yah, coconut grove.

Indy

08-03-2005 04:17 PM

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/112...ss3anim5uz.gif

To my son - I tell him I will see him again soon. To keep his heels down while riding his horse. To my wife... that is not your business.

PocketJokers72 08-03-2005 04:44 PM

Married 12+ years...

Cheaper to keep'er...

I like my kids.

I want to see them more than every other weekend.

Lawyers are ------EV.

Wives are -PV with positive variance that is just barely enough not to make your head asplode.

There are better things than sex in this world...I just haven't found them yet. PM me if you know where to look.

Indiana 08-03-2005 04:50 PM

Things better than sex? Final Tables.

Indy

jakethebake 08-03-2005 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about u jake?

[/ QUOTE ]

This Father's Day my wife and kids made me a card. It said:

[ QUOTE ]
You are without a doubt the very best daddy ever! You are a wonderful husband, a great best friend, an awesome playmate, an excellent jungle gym, a perfect role model. We love you so much. We are soo lucky to have you in our lives. You deserve the best father's day ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good enough?

CCass 08-03-2005 10:22 PM

15 years and counting.

1 - My wife is my best friend. I can't imagine not talking to her every day.

2 - I know about all of her imperfections, I don't want to invest the time and effort into learning someone elses.

3 - She is the mother of my children, and for that she deserves a great deal of respect.

4 - I am old fashioned, and 15 years ago I stood up in front of a bunch of people and said "till death do us part". I meant it then, and still do.

newfant 08-03-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does marriage make a man gay?

nolanfan34 08-03-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15 years and counting.

2 - I know about all of her imperfections, I don't want to invest the time and effort into learning someone elses.

3 - She is the mother of my children, and for that she deserves a great deal of respect.

4 - I am old fashioned, and 15 years ago I stood up in front of a bunch of people and said "till death do us part". I meant it then, and still do.

[/ QUOTE ]

CCass is a stand up guy.

For me it boils down to one main thing - I feel fortunate to have found someone who seemingly is prepared to put up with living with me for the rest of her life. That's no small task. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, when you find a good woman, it's a great thing. I mean, she's the one who graduated this year and said "yes, let's go to Vegas for a vacation". Then read Getting Started in Hold Em before we went, and spent much of the trip playing $2/$4. AND survived meeting a bunch of crazy 2+2ers. How does it get better than that? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oski 08-03-2005 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For me it boils down to one main thing - I feel fortunate to have found someone who seemingly is prepared to put up with living with me for the rest of her life. That's no small task. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, when you find a good woman, it's a great thing. I mean, she's the one who graduated this year and said "yes, let's go to Vegas for a vacation". Then read Getting Started in Hold Em before we went, and spent much of the trip playing $2/$4. AND survived meeting a bunch of crazy 2+2ers. How does it get better than that? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been married 9 years. I couldn't be happier. I have a family and I don't think the benefits of being single can possible approach those of marriage.

My wife is very cool and doesn't hassel me at all. I told her 15 years ago, when we met, that there is two things she has to accept about me if she wants to get involved: 1. I will play poker often and that includes coming home at 5 in the morning once in a while; 2. I will watch football with my buddies all weekend when its in season.

She agreed to it, and we've had no problems.

On a side note, internet poker has really helped me avoid staying out too late, and that makes her happy.

Anyhow, it should go without saying ... if you have to ask, its probably not for you (yet).

M2d 08-04-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
15 years and counting.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh

istewart 08-04-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, when you find a woman as hot as nolanfan's wife, it's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Felix_Nietsche 08-04-2005 12:36 AM

Only the VERY RICH and the VERY POOR can........

........afford a divorce.

ChipWrecked 08-04-2005 02:40 AM

My wife told me to.

mike l. 08-04-2005 02:54 AM

"Why do you stay married?"

the overrated blow jobs

plaster8 08-04-2005 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
15 years and counting.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. (Minus the kids part -- don't have them yet.)

Four-year anniversary is today.

diebitter 08-04-2005 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
15 years and counting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I coulda written this. Every word applies to me (even the 15 years!).

Having said that, any of you guys thinking about it, I'd paraphrase the great Al Bundy on the subject and say 'run now, run hard, and keep running'...

zoomOut 08-04-2005 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, any of you guys thinking about it, I'd paraphrase the great Al Bundy on the subject and say 'run now, run hard, and keep running'...

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me smile! I'm a female but I can relate to this statement. It made me think of the old Kevin Costner quote "marriage is a hard gig." My girlfriend told me that marriage is an evil force which brings out the worst in people. I think that might be a tad negative. I like to think it can also bring out the best.

Reasons I like marriage:

1) Even after 10 years it's still great to wake up each morning with my husbands hands caressing me. Now that's incredible if you think about it. (We have never taken our intimate life for granted as it seems others have.)

2) My heart still beats fast when I hear him walk in the door every evening. I like it when he cooks with me. I just love him so much.

codewarrior 08-04-2005 08:25 AM

Oh - and the #1 reason:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...1a08-02-05.jpg

2planka 08-04-2005 08:31 AM

Many, many reasons. The Warden and I have been married for 4 years. It's a cliche, but she is my best friend. I think that sums it up best.

ChipWrecked 08-04-2005 08:31 AM

Re: Oh - and the #1 reason:

Congratulations!

Homer: It's a boy! And what a boy!

Nurse: Sir, that's the umbilical cord.

codewarrior 08-04-2005 10:10 AM

Remember the episode of Mad About You, when Paul & his brother look at the sonogram? "Look at the size of that - you can tell he's a Buckmann!" I think it turned out to be a girl. Good times.

Indiana 08-04-2005 12:23 PM

Dam dude, you just made me shed a tear at work...Never thought about it that way. I dont have kids of course.

Indy

Indiana 08-04-2005 12:24 PM

she sounds cool.

Indy

Indiana 08-04-2005 12:28 PM

Looks like a lot of people are happy with marriage here. I guess growing up among arguing and fighting parents has given me a warped sense of what marriage really is. Funny how well rounded the people on this forum are (outside of musical tastes). Most people that I work with are highly educated but very unhappy with their marital situations. Most of them have been divorced at least once.

Indy

fsuplayer 08-04-2005 12:31 PM

you come off as someone who's never been in a relationship with a great girl before.

Indiana 08-04-2005 12:32 PM

the first 2 weeks were great...

Indy

ThisHo 08-04-2005 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does marriage make a man gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I pity the woman you marry.

All reasons for staying married have been previously stated, but I'll reiterate:
1 - wife is best friend
2 - There is NO better feeling in the world than walking in the door and getting a smile from my daughter followed by a smile/hug/kiss from my wife
3 - I made a promise and I intend to keep it

~ThisHo
3 -

Skjonne 08-04-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...1a08-02-05.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that two reasons? Didn't the doctor tell you?

Congrats man