Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306583)

Ulysses 08-03-2005 03:27 AM

New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

So, here's the deal. Sometime in the next few months, I might sell my company here in SF. If that happens, I'll probably look for a change of scenery. I've been here for a while and it's probably time for a change. One of my options is NYC, largely due to some exciting business opportunities there.

So, here's the question. If I decide to move to NYC, where should I live? I'd ideally be looking for a 1br place and would like to spend $3k or less per month. I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo, etc. I don't find myself hanging out in UWS/UES very much. I like to go to restaurants and bars all around the city, so easy access to trains is key. So, given those criteria, where would you live?

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-03-2005 03:45 AM

Re: New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

How much are studios in SoHo? I can't imagine it being anywhere near 3k, but I just live in NYC, I don't apartment hunt, so I have no idea. My friend lives in a huge place on the UWS and pays 3.5k for an absolutely amazing 3br place.

So, yeah, live where you like to hang out.

KaneKungFu123 08-03-2005 04:03 AM

how cold does it get in SF?

bennyk 08-03-2005 04:14 AM

For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk

GreywolfNYC 08-03-2005 07:45 AM

Check out Union Square and Greenwich Village in the vicinity of 8th Street around University Place & Broadway. Union Square has become a very hip neighborhood with lots of good bars & restaurants and subway access to pretty much all of Manhattan. I'm a lifelong (and old) native NYer so PM me if you'd like more specifics.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 08:48 AM

I'm moving out of my place in January, I pay 3K/month rent. I live in the Hudson River (no joke, I really do... see Bunky's Bunkfest trip report for details) Its perfect if you want to own a car too, and pay lower taxes that NYC residents. 1,500 square feet, 2 bedrooms & a den for my computer.

PS: You can't buy anything good and expect to pay 3K a month in NYC, but thats a great range for a rental.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

superleeds 08-03-2005 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Answered your own question

xadrez 08-03-2005 08:59 AM

You can buy amazing apartments in Washington Heights overlooking the river and your mortgage will be considerably less than 3K a month.

If I could buy anything in NYC it'd be a brownstone in Harlem. Uptown is the sh!t.

HoldEm_Hero 08-03-2005 09:04 AM

The Answer

El D

I just moved from New York back home to Florida recently. If I were were you I would live in the lower west side/ financial district area. I lived on 400 Chambers Street in Tribeca Park in a 2/2 and paid $4200 month. It was beautiful, right on Battery Park, overlooking the Hudson and Jersey. Chambers has every line on the subway, 1, 3 everything. Also some great smaller bars down there. That would be my opinion, hope it all works out for you.

slickpoppa 08-03-2005 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of you guys are completely ignoring his original criteria. If he likes Soho and going out to bars in Manhattan obviously he doesnt want to live there.

freekobe 08-03-2005 10:02 AM

Re: The Answer

[ QUOTE ]
El D

I just moved from New York back home to Florida recently. If I were were you I would live in the lower west side/ financial district area. I lived on 400 Chambers Street in Tribeca Park in a 2/2 and paid $4200 month. It was beautiful, right on Battery Park, overlooking the Hudson and Jersey. Chambers has every line on the subway, 1, 3 everything. Also some great smaller bars down there. That would be my opinion, hope it all works out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea how old El Diablo is, but the suggestions above (Washington Heights, Brooklyn, and Tribeca) are all pretty bad given the fact that you like SoHo and the Village and you can afford 3K/month. The biggest reason people live in those places is to conserve money - sounds like you're not interested in that.

If you're mid to late 20s or early 30s, go West Village. Great neighborhood. Great restaurants. Close to transportation. And you can find decent (but not great) 1BRs in that price range. You will not find 2BRs in that price range.

Otherwise, Union Square is good too. If you're the going-out type or like to be around "the scene," stay away from the UES and UWS (FWIW, I live on the UWS, but I'm married, so I'm allowed).

handsome 08-03-2005 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, here's the deal. Sometime in the next few months, I might sell my company here in SF. If that happens, I'll probably look for a change of scenery. I've been here for a while and it's probably time for a change. One of my options is NYC, largely due to some exciting business opportunities there.

So, here's the question. If I decide to move to NYC, where should I live? I'd ideally be looking for a 1br place and would like to spend $3k or less per month. I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo, etc. I don't find myself hanging out in UWS/UES very much. I like to go to restaurants and bars all around the city, so easy access to trains is key. So, given those criteria, where would you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Greenwich Village (north of SoHo)
2. West Village (west of Greenwich Village)
3. Littly Italy (east of SoHo)
4. SoHo
5. East Village

Greenwich Village is #1 due to the hot NYU bitchz that live there. Given your criteria, I wouldn't live anywhere other than one of these 5 places.

sfer 08-03-2005 10:06 AM

My building. Honestly. 5 minute walk to Union Square, 5 minute walk to every north/south subway line, on the same block as the NRQW/6, plenty of places to eat nearby, walking distance to good coffee, the Greenmarket, and Esa Bagel on weekend mornings, a great staff, a free gym on the 3rd floor, money card operated laundry on every floor, great views north overlooking Madison Square Park, and a Chase ATM in the lobby.

Paluka 08-03-2005 10:12 AM

Union Square, West Village, Soho, Noho are all great options. Even Chelsea is fine. I think you will have a hard time finding an apartment you like in the East Village, but there are some new buildings on Houston.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 10:24 AM

Where Sfer lives is where I want to move in January if I sell my car, which is a realistic possibility. So many variables...

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Union Square, West Village, Soho, Noho are all great options. Even Chelsea is fine. I think you will have a hard time finding an apartment you like in the East Village, but there are some new buildings on Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats too downscale for our friend El' D. Think big [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BottlesOf 08-03-2005 10:28 AM

You've got a lot of options open to you. I'd go with a nice doorman bldg in the West Village. Search Craigslist just to get a sense of neighborhoods and what your options are.

Under no circumstances live where TT lives.

turnipmonster 08-03-2005 10:39 AM

given that access to trains is key, I would go with somewhere around union square or somewhere around west 4th st, leaning heavily towards w4th cause the west village is a lot more neigborhood like than the union square area.

if you generally cab it late at night I wouldn't worry so much about living near a big train stop, but if not it will save you a lot of waiting around time.

--turnipmonster

Paluka 08-03-2005 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats too downscale for our friend El' D. Think big [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new buildings on Houston aren't downscale at all, most of them are very expensive.

BottlesOf 08-03-2005 11:20 AM

I agree with this. I think when you go to nice restaurants and stuff you'll probably be cabbing it. I think W.4 is a good loc, you can be on Waverly or a small street near Waverly or Bleecker. I think North of Washington Sq. park, possibly on 5th Ave, as long as you're within a few blocks of the park would be good.

Voltron87 08-03-2005 11:26 AM

how has no one even mentioned riverside drive

La Brujita 08-03-2005 11:26 AM

Also depends a little where your office will be. I personally like either Union Square area or 11th-14th streets around 6th-8th aves. Latter has very nice places, beautiful streets, quiet but in the center of the action.

Edit to say after reading other responses living around W 4th street (which I did for a summer) is another idea. The reason I didn't put it on is it is a little louder and dirtier and is a very easy walk from a little north.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause it's out of the way and inconvenient. But it is very nice up there.

turnipmonster 08-03-2005 11:30 AM

I personally like a good walk after dinner/drinking, so living somewhere that's within walking distance from both soho/east village would be my choice.

Voltron87 08-03-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause it's out of the way and inconvenient. But it is very nice up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously it doesnt fit el ds priorities very well but i think its worth a mention. i lived there with a friend for a month or so i and didnt think it was inconvenient at all. if you go farther up north (90s+) you wont be that far away at all from the 1/9, as opposed to the 70s where its 3 long avenues or whatnot.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got a lot of options open to you. I'd go with a nice doorman bldg in the West Village. Search Craigslist just to get a sense of neighborhoods and what your options are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you don't want to live like a King.

My place would be near 10K/month (I'm not kidding... my place is expensive for Jersey City, but super cheep when you compare it to what was available for the same caliber in Manhattan) if I lived in Manhattan proper, instead I'm 4 1/2 minutes away by train to the World Trade Center, and 25 mins total from Soho. Its easier to get to my place to the Soho area than it is to get from JBB's current place.

Funny thing is that if I decide to sell my car I'm moving back to Manhattan. If I get a new car (I'm slobbering over Max Power's new Accura) I'm staying put. The tax and transportation benefits are huge, and the quality of life is far better than if I moved back to Manhattan.

fsuplayer 08-03-2005 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My place would be near 10K/month (I'm not kidding... my place is expensive for Jersey City, but super cheep when you compare it to what was available for the same caliber in Manhattan) if I lived in Manhattan proper, instead I'm 4 1/2 minutes away by train to the World Trade Center, and 25 mins total from Soho. Its easier to get to my place to the Soho area than it is to get from JBB's current place.

Funny thing is that if I decide to sell my car I'm moving back to Manhattan. If I get a new car (I'm slobbering over Max Power's new Accura) I'm staying put. The tax and transportation benefits are huge, and the quality of life is far better than if I moved back to Manhattan.

[/ QUOTE ]

what type of acura?

TheWorstPlayer 08-03-2005 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SoHo

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty 08-03-2005 12:15 PM

www.ardorny.com

gives you a great idea of what the prices and locales are for the money.

Ulysses 08-03-2005 12:29 PM

Thanks for the responses. If I decide to go this route, it's still a ways away. One of my options would involve me working near the WTC, in case that has any bearing on people's suggestions. Most of the suggestions seem to be near lines that go straight there, though.

Paluka 08-03-2005 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. If I decide to go this route, it's still a ways away. One of my options would involve me working near the WTC, in case that has any bearing on people's suggestions. Most of the suggestions seem to be near lines that go straight there, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could move in with me and my wife and commute with me. We need someone to do the laundry, feed the cats, and play high stakes no-limit holdem.

sfer 08-03-2005 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could move in with me and my wife and commute with me. We need someone to do the laundry, feed the cats, and play high stakes no-limit holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you guys would watch Law and Order together.

astroglide 08-03-2005 12:55 PM

i don't know [censored] about NYC but based on my visit there i would live in what i think was called washington square

Philuva 08-03-2005 12:55 PM

East village. You can get a sweet 1BR for $3K/mo. I had a 1BR for $1,800 a couple of years ago. I lived on east 11th st between 2nd and 3rd ave which I liked a lot. It was close to all bars and rastaurants in the village but I was also close to the Union Sq. subway stop which you can pretty much get to anywhere from there since it is a major subway stop.

If you are looking to spend $3k, it seems like you might want a new building with doorman and all that crap, unfortunately, there are not many of those buildings in the village, but my friend lives in a very nice new building on East 7th st. between Ave. B and C. It is a REALLY nice place, but a little far from the subway, but I think it goes for like $2,500/mo.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live 4 1/2 minutes by train from the WTC, and the train leaves ever 4 minutes during the day, every 15 minutes in the evening, every 1/2 hour from midnight on. I think you should look at my area reguardless of JBB's opinion (he has never been here before).

Evan 08-03-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should look at my area reguardless of JBB's opinion (he has never been here before).

[/ QUOTE ]
While there is nothing wrong with your place, it's not even in the state he wants to live in. Hanging out int he neighborhoods he described would be a much more laborious task from your apartment than it would be from somewhere in U Sq./Greenwich Village/SoHo/etc.

Luv2DriveTT 08-03-2005 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what type of acura?

[/ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT, but I need to save some cash. The NX isn't 1/2 bad either. I'm also considering a Mini.

Evan 08-03-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know how much Acura RL's cost?

MercTec 08-03-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know how much Acura RL's cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

RL's are sweet. Technologically an amazing car as well...not to mention all wheel drive.

When you say NX, do you mean NSX?

I hope the Mini thing was a joke.

BottlesOf 08-03-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My place would be near 10K/month

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't believe, but I've never seen it so I don't know.

Also, if you live in one state and work in another, this actually icnreases tax complications and in some cases, tax liability.

TT: When did you become the Jersey City troll?