Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   guys, what do you do in this situation? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304838)

Sooga 07-31-2005 10:58 PM

guys, what do you do in this situation?

Ok, so you're with a girl. A FRIEND. There is no SIIHP going on here. It's clear you're both friends. Ok, now that that's settled...

Now say you go to a restaurant like a Quizno's, where you order your stuff, but the food is being prepared as you pay for your meal. So anyway, you order your sandwich, and they start making it, and then your friend orders her sandwich, and they start working on that.

Now you get to the cashier, and the cashier assumes that you two are together, and counts up both sandwiches together. What do you do?

Patrick del Poker Grande 07-31-2005 11:00 PM

Re: guys, what do you do in this situation? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Dynasty 07-31-2005 11:00 PM

Re: guys, what do you do in this situation?

Would you be paying for both sandwiches if your friend was a guy?

Yeti 07-31-2005 11:01 PM

- We know you want to bang her.
- Just pay, no hassle, it's likely she will give you the money once you've sat down.
- Jeez man, are you toilet trained yet?

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:01 PM

Hahaha..... well Quiznos was the only thing around. And yea, I do usually pay for it, but it does seem kind of awkward, I mean, it's not like I'm trying to impress her or anything, and it's not like she's some starving student... she has a job, as do I.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:02 PM

Hmm, good question.... I guess I probably would.

Patrick del Poker Grande 07-31-2005 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she has a job, as do I.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then this doesn't matter. The time for worrying about who bought what petty item ends when you've graduated college.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:04 PM

- No.
- it's not about the money, it's just that is automatically paying for it just the socially accepted thing to do?
- No.

SmileyEH 07-31-2005 11:04 PM

I have a lot more spending money than most of my friends because of poker so I'd just try and pay for both sometimes. Whatever, it's situational. Here I'd just pay - whats a quiznos sub, like $4?

-SmileyEH

Sephus 07-31-2005 11:05 PM

it's like 6 bucks man.

Nick B. 07-31-2005 11:05 PM

I would probably go home and check on ebay to see if I can get some fake quizno's gift certificates for a low price.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:07 PM

Ok, so is it a monetary issue then? Say we went somewhere like this and for whatever reason, the total was like $20 each. Is it still the same? Or is there some dollar cutoff where I shouldn't be expected to pay? Like I said earlier, it's not like I'm poor and can't afford to do this... I'm just wondering if this is the 'typical' thing to do.

touchfaith 07-31-2005 11:08 PM

Pay, and then ask her if she wants to go watch Entourage with you.

If she says yes, when she's not looking, SIIHP.

Yeah, how 'bout that Entourage anyway? Anyone know if it's any good?

Sponger15SB 07-31-2005 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be such a cheap fucker and buy your friend a sandwich. Also, don't go to Quizno's next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you buy your male friend a sandwich if the cashier assumed you were together?

pearljam 07-31-2005 11:14 PM

It depends on where your going with this girl, if you have absolutely no sexual interest in her but like her as a friend and are'nt trying to impress her, ask for seperate bills. The money is'nt the point, it's more to not give her the wrong impression.

07-31-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on where your going with this girl, if you have absolutely no sexual interest in her but like her as a friend and are'nt trying to impress her, ask for seperate bills. The money is'nt the point, it's more to not give her the wrong impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you kicked that girl to the curb, yet ? I hope so.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:16 PM

hmm, that doesn't sound right. You mean to tell me you've never bought a meal for a friend, in the fear that he/she might get a wrong impression?

pearljam 07-31-2005 11:18 PM

I have baught meals for guy friends yea, but only because they did'nt have money and I wanted to go out for food. It's not that there is anything wrong with buying her a meal, but (and you could judge this better then I since you know the girl) you might give her the wrong impression that your trying to impress her.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:19 PM

Oh... then no, that's definitely not a concern. I've known this girl for about 9 years now, and it's been as friends the whole time.

pearljam 07-31-2005 11:20 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you kicked that girl to the curb, yet ? I hope so.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and it's not even close. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pearljam 07-31-2005 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh... then no, that's definitely not a concern. I've known this girl for about 9 years now, and it's been as friends the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, then in that case buy her the sandwich you cheap bastard.

Popinjay 07-31-2005 11:21 PM

I would say make the bills separate. You don't want to run into a far more awkward situations where she is constantly freeloading off you.

daryn 07-31-2005 11:24 PM

since i am back i will continue providing the correct answer i suppose

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she pays you.

end

daryn 07-31-2005 11:25 PM

addendum:

also acceptable is saying "don't worry about it" but only if you know she would say the same thing, and that is very important.

gorie 07-31-2005 11:27 PM

pay.
not because she's a girl and you're a guy, but because that's where the situation has lead you and the best thing to do without making it into a big deal.
then you hope she pays you back later, or buys next time.

i've paid for lunch for co-workers before , and same back at me, we don't really keep track we just kind of assume it's not a big deal as long as the bill is paid and it's not always the same person.

but i mean this is a one time thing, and as long as its not a lot of money, just pay.

Lawrence Ng 07-31-2005 11:31 PM

The correct 2+2 OOT answer is:

Pay for her sandwich, then stick it in her pooper afterwards.

Lawrence

ChipWrecked 07-31-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she lets you SIIHP.

end

[/ QUOTE ]

bd8802 07-31-2005 11:35 PM

If this is truely a two-way freindship pay for the damn food. Your friend should reciprocate the next time you go to a place like this.

daryn 07-31-2005 11:36 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she lets you SIIHP.

end

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, that's why i left. completely unfunny repetitive "jokes"

mason55 07-31-2005 11:37 PM

I don't understand what the problem is. If it's not about the money, she won't get the wrong impression then the answer is dependent on one thing:

If she would pay in this situation then you pay. If she wouldn't pay then I wouldn't consider a friend, only an aquaintence.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:39 PM

Hmm, this is making me think... and although when we go out to an actual restaurant (where a typical dinner is &gt; $25), then we always split it, but on little things like this, I seem to pay... then on the occasions where she's bought stuff, and I gave her money, she always accepts it and never says "don't worry about it".... hmm...

07-31-2005 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably go home and check on ebay to see if I can get some fake quizno's gift certificates for a low price.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/1566/comlaugh9dg.jpg

bd8802 07-31-2005 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so is it a monetary issue then? Say we went somewhere like this and for whatever reason, the total was like $20 each. Is it still the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still vote "who [censored] cares". My friends and I do this all the time. We got out eat and get a few drink, one of us pays. The other one pays the next time. And so on. It is not that big of deal. Sometimes I pay more, sometimes they do. If your friendship hindges upon a few bucks (I bought Fat Tire last time and you only bought Bud Light you worthless [censored]) ... there are bigger issues here.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:42 PM

You're right.... and now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember an instance where she's ever paid. Not sure why I didn't realize it til now.

gorie 07-31-2005 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, this is making me think... and although when we go out to an actual restaurant (where a typical dinner is &gt; $25), then we always split it, but on little things like this, I seem to pay... then on the occasions where she's bought stuff, and I gave her money, she always accepts it and never says "don't worry about it".... hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

solution: stop offering her money on some (all?) ocassions where she buys stuff. then you don't have to count on her saying "don't worry about it" in order to keep the money.
it seems fair.

Sooga 07-31-2005 11:44 PM

Yes, but you figure if she really were a 'friend' she would do that.. but if she doesn't, then hmm....

I do indeed have some bigger issues to think about.

bd8802 07-31-2005 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right.... and now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember an instance where she's ever paid. Not sure why I didn't realize it til now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting screwed long term ... then you should just stop paying for the little things. Don't go out of your way to do so cause if this is really a healthy 9 year friendship it is not worth making a scene out of a few bucks here or there.

Something to think about though.

gorie 07-31-2005 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but you figure if she really were a 'friend' she would do that.. but if she doesn't, then hmm....

I do indeed have some bigger issues to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. she probably assumes that when you offer her money, you're offering her money. not that you're fake-offering in hopes of a "no no, you keep it."
don't offer something you don't really want to pay...

she probably doesn't think you mind it. if she knew it was a problem, i'm sure she'd pay more.

RunDownHouse 07-31-2005 11:50 PM

I was wondering where you'd gone.

Like most others have said, just pay. Since this seems to be a more frequent thing, however, really examine your relationship and decide if this is the kind of person with whom you want to be friends. My group of frriends is very easy going and reciprocating with buying rounds and stuff like that, but I know plenty of people who aren't.

EDIT: I agree about the Commodus account, by the way. Got a chuckle.

astroglide 07-31-2005 11:52 PM

wow, this guy really picks his spots. so far two thumbs up for commodus.