Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Omaha Book (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=297269)

lehighguy 07-21-2005 01:47 AM

Omaha Book

What's the best book out there for someone that is very familair with holdem but knows little about Omaha.

07-21-2005 09:11 AM

Re: Omaha Book

I would say Championship Omaha by McCevoy/Cloutier.

Spellmen 07-21-2005 12:47 PM

And I would say you are horribly wrong. It is Omaha Hold'em Poker by Ciaffone.

RickyG 07-21-2005 01:08 PM

The Science of Poker, by Mahmood.

messenger309 07-22-2005 08:09 PM

how good is your pot limit omaha? by Stewart Reuben.

Actually I would get the Cloutier as well as it is an interesting counterpoint to Reuben's book. No-limit and Pot limit Poker by Ciaffone and Reuben also has a lot of good stuff in it.

Lyle Berman's chapter is SS2 is entertaining but unless you regularly play with 50/100 blinds and a $75000 cap it isn't all that useful.

Bet-the-pot.com has a few good articles by Felonius_Monk an online PLO100 semi pro that are pretty good.

Rob

krypto 07-22-2005 09:01 PM

I have to add my vote to Science of Poker. How Good is Your Pot Limit Omaha? by Stewart Reuben is more of a workbook to use after reading Science... I found my copy on Amazon.

07-22-2005 11:04 PM

What's wrong with CLoutier? I mean, sure the books are dated, but with McCevoy they have 4 bracelets. Can't argue with results.

joewatch 07-23-2005 01:10 AM

COuld you post something good that you learned from Cloutier's book?

lighterjobs 07-23-2005 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with CLoutier? I mean, sure the books are dated, but with McCevoy they have 4 bracelets. Can't argue with results.

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't all his bracelets in limit omaha?

RickyG 07-23-2005 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with McCevoy they have 4 bracelets

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent read the book, but their success at the game does not mean they have the ability to write a good informative book.

sirpupnyc 07-23-2005 03:10 PM

It seemed to me to be mainly geared toward high-stakes, where it's more about getting into your opponents' heads and if you lose $10k in one pot oh well, you have more. Not so useful for small-stakes online play, where you'll hardly find anybody else playing the same way, and it's more about actually having a hand because someone's going to call you down.

There were also lots of "we don't recommend playing a hand like this but here's time I did and it worked out" stories.

There's value in it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first Omaha book to someone who's not aiming for the big-stakes games.

Jorge10 07-23-2005 04:13 PM

Where do I get the book? Amazon doesnt have it. Any suggestions?

gergery 07-24-2005 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do I get the book? Amazon doesnt have it. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambler's Bookshop. That's where Ciaffone sent me when i asked him

greatwhite 07-28-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't all his bracelets in limit omaha?

[/ QUOTE ]First of all he has a bracelet in limit, limit hi/lo, and plo omaha. So if he has a bracelet in all 3 of the omahas in his book he can't be that bad. I don't like his limit hold'em book, but I like some of his others I have skimmed. I decided to buy Championship Omaha, despite the harsh reviews of this site. I'll let everyone know how it is soon.

07-28-2005 04:25 PM

Mebbe Warren Karp's book, then?

Big Dave D 07-28-2005 05:21 PM

When *everyone* says it is a dire book, that's normally some kind of clue. I don't think anyone breaks into a sweat when McEvoy and Cloutier sit down in a PLO cash game. In fact, back in the day, I used to hunt out McEvoy on UB in their plo8b games as he was that bad (I didnt know it was him fwiw.)

gl

Dave