Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How do you explain your career? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=294878)

intensify1 07-17-2005 09:26 PM

How do you explain your career?

I just hate when a woman or a new friend ask what you do for a living, now that i play poker for a living. I was just curious if anyone has a good way of telling people this. Or what is the alternative, assuming one would want to keep this on the downlow, what other ways to not answer the question directly, do you tell them your in investments? or is there any ideas you could promote. Another words what if you dont want to be upfront about your job as this is my only job. What do yuo suggest saying.

ds914 07-17-2005 09:34 PM

Re: How do you explain your career?

Just say you "work with computers."

Or tell people to mind their own business.

CPSUpoker 07-17-2005 09:45 PM

"I make a living sitting at home in my boxers and playing on the computer"

sounds alright to me

shant 07-17-2005 09:58 PM

Why are people embarassed to say that they make enough money by playing a game to not work? Usually when people find out I know people who can pull that off, they are envious.

Oblivious 07-17-2005 10:02 PM

"I'm rich... I don't have a job."

[censored] 07-17-2005 10:04 PM

I say I play poker for living.

duk 07-17-2005 10:16 PM

Just say that you are retired.

Because you pretty much are, right? And it's pretty cool to be retired at 23 or however old you are.

nervous 07-17-2005 10:28 PM

I work with retards.

autobet 07-17-2005 11:15 PM

Get a part-time job, and say you do xx and supplement your income playing poker.

mdeck 07-17-2005 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work with retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

This is the perfect reply.

lozen 07-17-2005 11:50 PM

I have buiseness cards

Statistical Internet Evaluation

Gramps 07-17-2005 11:50 PM

Start by having had a "respectable" job prior to your poker career, then say, "I used to be a (respectable job), but now I do something pretty unusual....(pause)....."

Usually, they'll expect something crazy and be relieved when you say "I play poker for a living," and the conversation flows from there.

If you're 22 or something, go to your Plan B (whatever that is).

Klepton 07-18-2005 12:06 AM

"people pay me to show them my nuts"

KyleM 07-18-2005 12:26 AM

Learn to be comfortable with yourself and become confident enough (extremely confident - almost "too" confident) that you honestly don't care what other people think of you. Then you can say or do anything you want, and if somebody doesn't like you, then that's there problem.

SoftcoreRevolt 07-18-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I work with retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The proper job description if tard wrangling. And like real tard wrangling, sometimes the online tards use their online super strength to kick your ass and take all your money.

TStoneMBD 07-18-2005 12:56 AM

the nice thing about telling people that youre a pro poker player is that if you arent really all that interesting as a person, as soon as they hear that you are a pro poker player you become the most interesting person on the planet.

eric5148 07-18-2005 01:23 AM

When I tell people I play poker for a living, I get one of three responses:

1. Really? That's cool.

2. Oh.... ok. How's that workin out for ya?

3. Hmmm... and what does your mother say about it?

Chairman Wood 07-18-2005 03:29 AM

I'm self employed

pryor15 07-18-2005 03:40 AM

"I'm an indie filmmaker and a pro poker player. Only one of them is gambling."

or

"Job? Why the hell would I get a job?"

imported_CaseClosed326 07-18-2005 03:49 AM

Job? How could I sit around and smoke crack all day if I had a job?

666 07-18-2005 05:24 AM

I tell them I kill people for money. When the shock of that has worn off, I say that I am a professional gambler.

cursha 07-18-2005 05:36 AM

In my 16 years as an online poker professional, I find that the best answer to that question, other than 'I work with retards', is :-
"I'm an online personal actuary', if they can be bothered figuring it out, then I explain that life is all about odds and reraise the conversation with 'I provide covert tactical logistics regarding provisional permitations of seven variable equations'

That generally shuts them up.

einbert 07-18-2005 06:40 AM

Son, I make my living
by reading people's betting
and knowing what their cards are
by the way they bet their hands
{I use playerview too, of course)

Dariel86 07-18-2005 08:09 AM

Yeah the hot girls love that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

jtr 07-18-2005 08:13 AM

Say you're an aquarium manager.

(This is not mine, but comes from a much older thread on the same topic.)

intensify1 07-18-2005 11:43 AM

Well I have concluded your all insane and that we need to get together for a drink, lol. I like the whole trying to confuse them so they dont ask other questions tactic. The reason for this post is because I have a very close friend who advises me to not mention it, and think of something else to say for fear of something bad happenening, for instance I live in Indiana and they recently pass laws to regulate online gambling to a degree. Good thing I always obey the law. HAHA. Thanks for the colorful replies.

An aquarium manager<-- nice

jstewsmole 07-18-2005 12:20 PM

I tell them i am a professional poker player and if they have a condescending type look or reply, i accidentally drop the keys to my Beamer in plain view.

timprov 07-18-2005 12:35 PM

You could always tell them you're a gentleman jewel thief.

Personally, I prefer having an artistic pursuit to fall back on. When I say I'm a fiction writer, naive people assume I make a ton of money, while informed people are impressed I don't need a day job.

lehighguy 07-18-2005 12:37 PM

People think poker is no different from table games, that your a degenerate gambler.

I don't mind this at all though, it keeps a lot of otherwise good players from getting into the game.

lehighguy 07-18-2005 12:39 PM

nh

DrFeelgoodRC 07-18-2005 02:32 PM

I'm only 19 so when i say poker nobody takes me seriously except my friends and i end up coming off like a jobless idiot ...so i just say i'm a cook, nothing beats a good old fashioned cook.

MicroBob 07-18-2005 03:16 PM

I used to be really vague and say that I 'work from home' or 'on computers' or something stupid.
It didn't really work that great.
Although if the lady at the bank still asks then I usually just stick with that in a "I'm going to be vague and kind of rude because I don't want to tell you" type of tone.

Now I'm comfortable enough with it to just say that online-poker is my job to almost anyone but the lady at the bank.

Most people are fascinated which is actually kind of annoying because I would usually rather talk about ANYTHING else but "How does that even work?"
or
"Oh yeah. My friend likes to play poker a lot and he's really good."

now there are a handful of people who think I must have become the greatest poker god ever through all that hard work because I played in the WSOP.

Anyway, I've decided that just being up front about it is the way to go. If it's someone pretty new in my life and they ask then I'll usually qualify the "I play poker on the internet for a living" with something like "this is going to sound kind of crazy.....but...."

When I told the coach of my rec-league soccer-team that he responded "doesn't sound that crazy. I used to play a lot when I was in the Navy..what site do you play on?"
He now plays play-money and 1/2 on Party and I have encouraged him to play tighter. He has since brought his VPIP all the way down to 60.

Skip Brutale 07-18-2005 03:36 PM

I tell people I play internet poker for a living, and then they look at me like I am a bum and a liar.

mach3 07-18-2005 03:47 PM

Speculator...

redrooski24 07-18-2005 03:51 PM

I tell them I hunt donkeys for a living.

Cosimo 07-18-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my 16 years as an online poker professional, I find that the best answer to that question, other than 'I work with retards', is :-
"I'm an online personal actuary', if they can be bothered figuring it out, then I explain that life is all about odds and reraise the conversation with 'I provide covert tactical logistics regarding provisional permitations of seven variable equations'

That generally shuts them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like all of these. I generally use "I'm in high-risk short-term investments." But I also have a day job (self-employed) anyway, and that's usually more interesting. Plus I make like $4/hr right now playing poker, so that's definitely NOT my primary source of income.

I'll try to remember your line here, tho I'll probably phrase it as "I provide covert tactical logistics regarding provisional permutations of multivariate equations -- usually of seven degrees, of course." The 'of course' is key, cuz usually they'll clam RIGHT up, thinking "omg what a schmuck" or "omg what a genius, I wonder if he'll buy me a drink?", both of which are bad, which is why I'd use this with ppl that I want to go away.

Hal 2000 07-18-2005 04:43 PM

"I'm a currency trader."

jtr 07-20-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could always tell them you're a gentleman jewel thief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Can we wear a cravat?

Sponger15SB 07-20-2005 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tell people I play internet poker for a living, and then they look at me like I am a bum and a liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

...or a drug dealer.

I'd probably get more people to take me seriously if I did that.

jstewsmole 07-20-2005 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...so i just say i'm a cook, nothing beats a good old fashioned cook

[/ QUOTE ]

Iam a cook, believe me everything beats a cook.