Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Anyone change their view of Hellmuth? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=294685)

BabyJesus 07-17-2005 03:18 PM

Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I did get that Hellmuth really does love some poker. He loves the game and wants to see the best players win all the time. He still takes it too seriously though. He even freaks out when someone else gets bad beated. He doesn't take into account the reason why he is so rich in general is bad players take shots with -EV. They're going to hit every once and a while. Guy needs to take beats less seriously, nothing you can do about it, move on to the next hand.

RacersEdge 07-17-2005 03:26 PM

Re: Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

I don't think a lot of people heard his comments over the web. Was he just doing it Friday night, or the whole week?

SunOfaJack 07-17-2005 03:39 PM

I thought Phil Helmuth did a great job. (only final table and was doing shifts but he did most of it). Daniel Negraneau I feel is a bit better technically, but Phil was probably second best commentator.

It's kinda funny how he says "drawing dead" so liberally even when the person has 6 outs....he ain't drawing dead then Phil.

I was really impressed with Phil's reads though, great to hear a broadcast where commentators don't know the hands, you really get to see how these great players think.

RacersEdge 07-17-2005 03:47 PM

I tried looking around cardplayer.com for archives of the broadcast - didn't find any. Anyone else find them?

einbert 07-17-2005 04:53 PM

I really enjoyed the commentary.

I also found it really funny every time he insisted that a pocket pair vs two overcards was a 13-10 favorite before the flop, then proceded to whine about how TT got drawn out by AK (or something similar) when all the money went in preflop.

benneh 07-17-2005 05:13 PM

no. i still like him.

though i do enjoy his more lighthearted, funnier side than what we normally see, but its all good.

Kevmath 07-17-2005 05:20 PM

Phil seems to think you're "drawing dead" if you're behind on the flop. He did some great commentary, but he needs to update his references into the late 90's. His over-reliance on ending a sentence with ",Baby" should be left to Scotty Nguyen. I wonder how much better all of the commentary would've been if Matusow stuck around a little longer or if there were more pros at the FT. You could sense the disappointment they had after Mike busted out.

Kevin...

TomCollins 07-17-2005 05:44 PM

He did a great job commentating.

The biggest problem with Hellmuth is he thinks people "deserve" to win, and poker should be 100% skill, 0% luck. He just doesn't seem to get that there is a TON of luck in the game. Look at his style of play, he tries to make luck as small a factor as possible. Unfortunately, he made the wrong career choice if he doesn't want luck to be such a factor.

popniklas 07-17-2005 06:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

The biggest problem with Hellmuth is he thinks people "deserve" to win, and poker should be 100% skill, 0% luck. He just doesn't seem to get that there is a TON of luck in the game. Look at his style of play, he tries to make luck as small a factor as possible. Unfortunately, he made the wrong career choice if he doesn't want luck to be such a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, I agree.

I was a bit surprised Hellmuth was such a good commentator. He should do that more often.

mindbender79 07-17-2005 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried looking around cardplayer.com for archives of the broadcast - didn't find any. Anyone else find them?

[/ QUOTE ]

TheCroShow 07-17-2005 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is so wrong with believing that? if TJ Cloutier were at the final table, there would be a zillion threads/posts about how much he deserves it, blah blah. I believe Matusow deserved the Championship more than anyone at the final table, but he did not win, oh well...what can be done? nothing unfortunately.

James Lang 07-18-2005 12:22 AM

Hellmuth was hilarious, especially when it was him and Lindgren. It was great when he was using references to Harry Potter

SaintAces 07-18-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth was hilarious, especially when it was him and Lindgren. It was great when he was using references to Harry Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

what were the references?

thanks

rheaume 07-18-2005 02:07 AM

re: OP,

uh.. no.

he's still a know-it-all.

i loved how he totally backed out of danny n's challenge to fork up $500k and play him at the wynn
"any game you want any time" l0lz

72off 07-18-2005 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what were the references?

[/ QUOTE ]

He mentioned Harry Potter a couple times, I forget why the first time (maybe about the new book coming out?). The second time was in reference to how at that point in the broadcast Andrew Black was stealing every pot and dominating the table, so Phil made some reference to Sirius Black (something about poker wizardry). Lindgren didn't understand what the hell he was talking about, so Phil explained, "He's a very powerful wizard", or something to that effect.

It was pretty funny at the time, one of the many gems from Hellmuth on the night. Might have been one of those had to be there (and that sleep deprived) type things.

kasey2004 07-18-2005 04:00 AM

I thought Hellmuth did a great job commentating, but i have always liked Hellmuth to an extent.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Twitch1977 07-18-2005 12:11 PM

Email card player and let them know you'd like an archived version of it. If enough people ask I'm sure they'll put it up.

T

superleeds 07-18-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Phil Helmuth did a great job. (only final table and was doing shifts but he did most of it). Daniel Negraneau I feel is a bit better technically, but Phil was probably second best commentator.

It's kinda funny how he says "drawing dead" so liberally even when the person has 6 outs....he ain't drawing dead then Phil.

I was really impressed with Phil's reads though, great to hear a broadcast where commentators don't know the hands, you really get to see how these great players think.

[/ QUOTE ]

AlcateL 07-18-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Email card player and let them know you'd like an archived version of it. If enough people ask I'm sure they'll put it up.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing that so it'd be nice if every1 else did

DangerGoodson 07-18-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I did get that Hellmuth really does love some poker. He loves the game and wants to see the best players win all the time. He still takes it too seriously though. He even freaks out when someone else gets bad beated. He doesn't take into account the reason why he is so rich in general is bad players take shots with -EV. They're going to hit every once and a while. Guy needs to take beats less seriously, nothing you can do about it, move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is an excellent commentator. He usually charges 25k a night to host play and commentate poker parties, so he has a lot of experiance.

TomHimself 07-18-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

uh.. no.

i loved how he totally backed out of danny n's challenge to fork up $500k and play him at the wynn
"any game you want any time" l0lz

[/ QUOTE ]he knows more than you, and many people dont want to play danny heads up, whats the bhig deal with that? harry potter references were great and the straburst with him an jesus ferguson lol. changed my mind on hellmuth a little bit

ohgeetee 07-18-2005 01:40 PM

What amazed me most was hearing him commentate without pimping his goods every other sentence. I listened for a few hours, mainly during the period of him and harmon, him and ferguson, and him and lindgren. he was tactful most of the time, and enjoyable to listen to.

I was surprised at how seldom he got odds correctly, not even counting the TT vs AK 13:10 BS. It does rationalize how he could put 77 in his top ten hands list though.

He was still so full of himself that he never realized when people were giving him some backhanded jabs right in front of his face. You can really tell he is a nice guy that simply has a lot of ego/self control issues.

Another semi annoying thing is how he kept insisting his prior predictions came true, whent he initial 'predictions' weren't even close to as accurate as he claimed after they happened.

Overall, he did a fine job, and it was nice seeing him seem to genuinely hate seeing runner runner suckouts, even when its not against him. Even though thats poker, it never hurt anyone to call a suckout a suckout.

I haven't seen lederer do any commentary in awhile, but I would be especially curious to see these two guys together, both for the good mix of strategy/pseudo reads, and to see how howard deals with phil's slight beligerance.

Eegs 07-18-2005 01:53 PM

yea instead of sucking and being a jerk now he just sucks and is a semi-jerk.

rheaume 07-18-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

uh.. no.

[/ QUOTE ]he knows more than you,

[/ QUOTE ]

really, genius? well being that he's the greatest poker player ever (lol) i'm gonna take a wild guess and say he knows more than you too.

see you've got a commentator like mike sexton who offers constructive criticism and isn't constantly fluffing their own ego, but offers expert insight and analysis. when someone DOES make a bonehead play, they don't come off like a total jerk about it.
then you've got a phil hellmuth and no one can ever make a play as good as he would. totally frickin rude. basically a complete jerk.

i'll take the former. you can stick with your undisputed worldwide champion.

LLKOOLK1 07-18-2005 05:24 PM

cut \'em some slack

I agree he can act like a moron, but i really dont think hes a bad guy. He was one of those kids who was pampered as he grew up, and was praised for every little thing he did right, i belive. And that is what causes this constant self praising, i genuinly belive that he has no idea how stupid he really sounds.
All in all he meens well. He really is competitive but enjoys seeing others succed as well(Doyle and Chan), and like the original poster said, he truly loves the game and is enthusiastic about it.
Hes a moron sometimes, but not really a bad guy. I think were better off with him around, than not at all, whether its for entertainment value or laying down AK on a board of A A 4...
-LL

popniklas 07-18-2005 05:50 PM

Re: cut \'em some slack

Just for the record, Raymer said that he talked to Hellmuth about that hand, and the board was A44 and not AA4.

Vee Quiva 07-18-2005 06:04 PM

If you ever catch some of the old WSOP broadcasts before hold card cams, Phil was often one of the commentators with Gabe Kaplan. He is very comfortable talking through the hands and I thought the banter between him and Negreaneu was fantastic.

I am going to email Cardplayer right now and see if they can upload the commentary.

JJJ88 07-18-2005 06:22 PM

I will email them. What is the best email address reach them?

Quicksilvre 07-18-2005 11:33 PM

My view of Hellmuth is that he was awfully annoying at the table but reasonably nice away from it. So, no, it didn't really change, since he's lived right up to it though the tournaments and the broadcast.

Smoothcall 07-20-2005 01:40 AM

I didn't really hear the audio excpet i tuned in very late and i hear Phil H. whining about that he was pissed because he couldn't leave and wouldn't get sleep beofre leaving for his big celeb party coming up. Like that was more important that letting us know what was going on with the action. The man is all about himslef(very obnoxious). He is a shameless self promotor. He makes me sick. But i must admit i enjoy watching him on tv. It is comical. Doesn't mean i like him. But i like watching him. Btw out of all the tounrey players i would say he is the most likely to give you a dirty look or ignore you if you tried to get his attention. Unless the camera was on then he would put on a show and act like he's a sweetheart to his fans and how great a guy he is. This is all just an opinion that isn't a strong opinion as i don't know him personally. But it is the vibe i get from seeing him around.

Morpheus 07-20-2005 04:56 AM

nevermind,

I thought I offered to capture the audio for some of you but maybe I didn't.

Smoothcall 07-20-2005 05:13 AM

Btw i think Phil is a very good and entertaining commentator. I have thought this since the 97 series that stuet won. Phil H helped Gabe kaplan with the commentating. I think he would be the best commentator in poker. For those that said Daniel. I think it would be entertaining to have him as a commentator but he is a little annoying to listen to. But it would be great to hear some of the stuff that would come out of his mouth. Like he thinks he can outplay the opponents from the commentating booth if you don't tell the players in the game that daniel doesn't have cards. Same with Phil H. on that last line.