Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rap I'd like (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292451)

tbach24 07-14-2005 12:25 AM

Rap I\'d like

Rap songs I like:
All Falls Down
Family Business
Diamonds
Through the Wire

all by Kanye West

I don't like "Jesus Walks" but does he have other good songs?

On Fire
Warrior
I'm So Fly

Again, does he have other good songs?

Okay, now that you know my tastes, what else would I like?

I've heard songs by Wu Tang, Biggy, Dre, Snoop and Tupac but wouldn't be able to tell you what they were. So give me suggestions. Also, I don't want this to turn into a "YO CHECK OUT THIS HOT RAP THAT NO ONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT I THINK IM COOL" thread so please don't bust out your rap wisdom unless it's really good.

Also, I heard some song by 50 cent and The Game today that I liked, not sure the name but it had the lyrics "rap MVP" in it. Also, what are other good songs by 50 cent because I remember liking him in awhile ago but only remember "In Da Club" which I like.

tbach24 07-14-2005 12:27 AM

Re: Rap I\'d like

Also, the blizzard is coming!!

siccjay 07-14-2005 12:31 AM

It seems like you are into G-Unit.

Just go collect songs from....

50 Cent
Lloyd Banks (On Fire etc etc)
Young Buck (My favorite from G-Unit, best overall album)
The Game

bighomage 07-14-2005 12:32 AM

That 50 Cent and the Game song is Hate It Or Love It and it's really good. I think you should get both of the 50 Cent CD's that have come out since he got big. They're really good. I haven't heard The Game's new CD, but at least 3 songs are really good. Other big name rappers I'd recommend are Ludacris, Nelly and 2Pac's Greatest Hits 2 CD set.

Joshssj4 07-14-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

50 Cent
The Game

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't. Get as many songs by Biggie and Tupac and then work your way from there. Lots of Ganstar is good too. After that everything will seem like trash compared to them. Quality rap, unlike this new filth.

maxsick 07-14-2005 12:36 AM

The "rap MVP" song you are referring to is "Hate it or Love it", which I agree is a fine song. It is on both 50 Cent's The Massacre and The Game's Documentary. Of the two, 50 Cent's album has the better rep, although I don't own either. Is there any other rap you enjoy? It is hard to recommend anyone based on your taste for Kanye, as he is kinda unique.

Tron 07-14-2005 12:37 AM

I hope those first two are joking. You should probably get ahold of Illmatic by Nas as soon as you can. I think you'd really, really like that CD.

Tron 07-14-2005 12:38 AM

Also, neither The Massacre or The Documentary are worth spending money on, though Hate it or Love It is a solid song, and is worth buying on iTunes or acquiring otherwise.

bighomage 07-14-2005 12:39 AM

Why would we be joking? He's already said he likes that stuff. I like Nas too, but I was just throwing out some bigger names that he might like.

Tron 07-14-2005 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would we be joking? He's already said he likes that stuff. I like Nas too, but I was just throwing out some bigger names that he might like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he said he liked them, but Hate it or Love It is a very atypical song of theirs. Also, I am pretending he didn't say he liked In Da Club for his own sake.
<font color="white">tbach, I'm just frontin', In Da Club is okay to like if you appreciate it for what it is (a club song), and don't enjoy it for, say... It's lyrical merit?</font>

tbach24 07-14-2005 12:46 AM

Two things:

1. I love the avatar/location
2. I think I like songs with really good beats (other than Kanye who has awesome lyrics), which is what songs like "in da club" are I think

GuyOnTilt 07-14-2005 12:47 AM

Given the songs you mention, I think you'll like Common's newest album, Be.

GoT

bighomage 07-14-2005 12:47 AM

I also think you should get Street Dreams by Fabolous. Quality album and the beats are tight.

David04 07-14-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the two, 50 Cent's album has the better rep

[/ QUOTE ]
Jopke? "The Massacre" is widely considered to be a piece of [censored]. "The Documentary" is one of the best albums of 2005.

Vince Young 07-14-2005 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the songs you mention, I think you'll like Common's newest album, Be.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

-Skeme- 07-14-2005 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Documentary" is one of the best albums of 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is extra cute since 50 ghostwrote Game's hooks. Everybody on G Unit sucks and so does Kanye.

LoaferGee12 07-14-2005 01:03 AM

Bone Thugs

tbach24 07-14-2005 01:04 AM

Ghostwrote? Does that mean 50 wrote for Game?

Also, Kanye pwns so STFU. Does he write his own stuff?

-Skeme- 07-14-2005 01:06 AM

Yes, that's what that means. Kanye sucks. I don't know if he writes his own stuff, I'd hope not since he sucks. He makes his own beats, though, although lots of big name people have ghostproducers. Mel Man makes lots of Dre's beats and Eminem ghostwrote his newer lyrics. Newer as in 2001.

siccjay 07-14-2005 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

50 Cent
The Game

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't. Get as many songs by Biggie and Tupac and then work your way from there. Lots of Ganstar is good too. After that everything will seem like trash compared to them. Quality rap, unlike this new filth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen super OG from the hood. He said what he liked so I recommended what he look for based on his post. Did you even read it?

Who is "Ganstarr"? Does that have that guy Uru in it?

siccjay 07-14-2005 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Okay, now that you know my tastes, what else would I like?

[/ QUOTE ]

You people are [censored] boneheads.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS STATEMENT?

I was trying to help him find some more of what he likes. I don't care for G-Unit really. They are talented but are watered down for the mainstream. I like Young Buck though.

tbach24 07-14-2005 01:20 AM

TY for your recommendations. I like what I'm hearing.

I'd like to hear what songs are good from the following:

Wu-Tang
Snoop
Dr. Dre
BIG
Tupac

And please don't do the "all of them" thing.

shant 07-14-2005 01:22 AM

Common - Be. Can't stress this one enough.

Brain 07-14-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

50 Cent
The Game

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Yayo's new album came out on Tuesday with "So Seductive" as well.

Tbach, I'd also suggest some Jay-Z.

-Skeme- 07-14-2005 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wu-Tang

[/ QUOTE ]

As a group or individually? Either way this is way too hard. Download the whole Enter The Wu album. GZA's solo's are great. There's so much material that I can't really begin to list it.

[ QUOTE ]
Snoop

[/ QUOTE ]

Download Doggystyle. Classic album. One of the best. This is of course back before he smoked himself retarded and had a sick, old school west coast flow.

[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Dre

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chronic and Chronic 2001 are both excellent albums. Classics.

[ QUOTE ]
BIG

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like Biggie much, but the following are good songs:

Mo Money, Mo Problems (Feat. Puff Daddy &amp; Mase)
Notorious Thugs (Feat. Bone Thugs N Harmony)
10 Crack Commandments
Runnin' (Feat. Tupac)

[ QUOTE ]
Tupac

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all 12 year old white kids, I loved Tupac. Then I realized he's a mediocre emcee and terribly overrated. His Greatest Hits album is still very good. Individual songs would take too long, but I'll list some must-haves:

Changes
Hit 'Em Up
California Love
Amerikka's Most Wanted
How Do You Want It
God Bless The Dead
Hail Mary

siccjay 07-14-2005 01:34 AM

Wu-Tang - C.R.E.A.M., Triumph

Snoop - Ain't No Fun, Gin and Juice, Pump Pump

Dr. Dre - Fukc You, Housewife, Let Me Ride, Bitches Ain't $hit, Stranded On Death Row

BIG - Any from the Biggie thread would be good. Back To Cali, Ten Crack Commandments

Tupac - WOW where to start? Holla if ya hear me, I Get Around, So Many Tears, If I Die 2Nite, Can U Get Away, Fukc The World, Pour Out A Little Liquor, How Long Will They Mourn Me, Str8 Ballin, Ambitionz Az A Ridah, Life Goes On, Trading War Stories, Hit Em Up, Lie To Kick It.

There is more from Pac but this is good for now hahaha

shant 07-14-2005 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wu-Tang - Get the "36 Chambers" album.
BIG - Ready to Die album

[/ QUOTE ]

Vote4Pedro 07-14-2005 01:37 AM

Young Bucks cd is solid, definitely check it out...Eminems first 2 Cd's are awesome, the 3rd one is decent, the latest one sucks cock

shant 07-14-2005 01:41 AM

Talib Kweli &amp; Hi-Tek - Reflections Eternal
Mos Def &amp; Talib - Blackstar

-Skeme- 07-14-2005 02:58 AM

Reflection Eternal is a masterpiece.

snowden719 07-14-2005 07:26 AM

D'evils- Jay-z
the single greatest rap song of all time. Also look at other songs from reasonable doubt like dead presidents 2, 22 two's, politics as usual, regrets. Also, new york state of mind and life's a bitch off nas's illmatic are incredible.

snowden719 07-14-2005 07:28 AM

... If you're a huge backpacker.

Tron 07-14-2005 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... If you're a huge backpacker.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is untrue, I do think that it is a bad recommendation for a n00b like tbach. I HATED Reflection Eternal when I first started listening to rap... He will get to stuff like this in a while.

Tron 07-14-2005 08:50 AM

I do think you would probably enjoy Quality by Talib Kweli, though... And probably The Beautiful Struggle, but I haven't listened to that very much.

lucas9000 07-14-2005 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't want this to turn into a "YO CHECK OUT THIS HOT RAP THAT NO ONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT I THINK IM COOL" thread so please don't bust out your rap wisdom unless it's really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't you just listen to your local crappy rap/r&amp;b station? while not everything you hear will be good, you will be spared any discussion of obscure music.

lucas9000 07-14-2005 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is "Ganstarr"? Does that have that guy Uru in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

potm! pwned!

Morpheus 07-14-2005 10:22 AM

kanye west is horrible. I don't like anything about him. I kind of laugh at his videos because some of the imagery is so serious and then he throws in a rhyme about someone doing laundry or something. You know what I mean.

BusterStacks 07-14-2005 10:23 AM

Get the Gangstarr album, I promise you will like it. It's the best choice in the thread. I'll pay for it if you don't love it.

SL__72 07-14-2005 10:32 AM

Jay-z
Biggie
The Game
Immortal Technique
Atmosphere

Since you like Kanye:
Talib Kweli
Mos Def

Jman28 07-14-2005 10:39 AM

Answer some Questions first

Well, I think you will like 2001 by Dr. Dre. The beats are excellent. However I don't know that much about you yet.

How do you feel about Eminem? I noticed you didn't mention him in your post, and I assume that it's nearly impossible that you haven't heard anything by him.

Someone mention Illmatic by Nas. It's a good CD, but is not in line at all with the songs you mentioned. I don't see how they think you will like it, other than based on the fact that they do.

What else do you like about rap you've heard? Do you like lyrics that are clever?(lloyd banks and kanye both have a few punchlines, although banks has more) lyrics that are meaningful? (kanye more than banks, but many have more than both) complex rhyme schemes? (banks usually rhymes 2-4 syllables while kanye only does occasionally. 50 is in between the two, I'd say) gangsta' references (50 Cent and banks somewhat)? Do you like beats that are more musical or more, i don't know, background and simple?

These answers would help me and probably other people.