Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   From Josh Arieh's website (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291579)

07-12-2005 07:18 PM

From Josh Arieh\'s website

Well anyway... ROOT FOR IVEY!!!!! I promise its the best thing for poker if he wins... If Ivey wins, the ratings on the ESPN show will be so rediculous, you wont even have to be a winning player anymore to make a living playing poker..... so GO PHIL IVEY!!!!!!!!!!!

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Agree?

TStokes 07-12-2005 07:20 PM

Re: From Josh Arieh\'s website

he should learn how to spell

TomHimself 07-12-2005 07:24 PM

how many bad players will he bring in if he wins? all i can see happening is more blacks playing and maybe a little bit more fish

Paxosmotic 07-12-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That request is rediculous.

TaoTe 07-12-2005 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funniest post of the day.

realwtf 07-12-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the end of his entry is this.

p.s.. I'm too tired to proof this

HelloGoodbye 07-12-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

slow day?

BigF 07-12-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

definately

TaoTe 07-12-2005 07:31 PM

I don't understand how it can be the best thing for poker. Wouldn't it just prove that you have to be a top player to do well? I'm confused by his statement completely. I don't see any logic in it. Would Sammy Farha winning in 2003 have been better for poker than Moneymaker?

Paxosmotic 07-12-2005 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

slow day?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, some people get it for a great point by point analysis of the play of a hand, or for discussing a new way to play a big stack in an MTT. I get it for being a sarcastic dick. 2+2, I love ya.

TM1212 07-12-2005 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well anyway... ROOT FOR IVEY!!!!! I promise its the best thing for poker if he wins... If Ivey wins, the ratings on the ESPN show will be so rediculous, you wont even have to be a winning player anymore to make a living playing poker..... so GO PHIL IVEY!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How can u be losing poker player make a living playing poker? I think i know what he meant, but in his hyper active over reacting way he said it like a retard. I lost all respect for this guy when i saw him breat a player for calling him with a draw during a side game at the taj.

Will iveys win broaden the scope of poker... i think pokers having no problem broadening its target audience now, will ivey winning make that big of a difference maybe?

And being a winning player is a constantly changing spectrum depending on your opponents ur play and ur mind set.

Slow Play Ray 07-12-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

definately

[/ QUOTE ]

you should learn how to spell. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TaoTe 07-12-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

slow day?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, some people get it for a great point by point analysis of the play of a hand, or for discussing a new way to play a big stack in an MTT. I get it for being a sarcastic dick. 2+2, I love ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the subtle humor, gets me everytime.

fnurt 07-12-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how it can be the best thing for poker. Wouldn't it just prove that you have to be a top player to do well? I'm confused by his statement completely. I don't see any logic in it. Would Sammy Farha winning in 2003 have been better for poker than Moneymaker?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, Varkonyi, Moneymaker, etc. have already won, and everybody knows it. There's no need to prove to the public, yet again, that "anyone can win."

MrTrik 07-12-2005 07:36 PM

When I hear about what is good for poker I think of what will bring the most uneducated and most inexperienced money into the system for experienced players to take. Given that premise, I would say that the best two possible 2005 WSOP outcomes would be:

1. A total unknown wins it (ala Moneymaker)
2. Raymer wins it again (or Moneymaker but he's already out right?)

I'm not sure which order they should be in though. I can see it either way.

rheaume 07-12-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would Sammy Farha winning in 2003 have been better for poker than Moneymaker?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't be serious with this question. moneymaker winning in 2003, in conjunction with the huge ratings jump for the world series on espn, was easily the single greatest thing to happen for poker's popularity

FWIW im with the consensus that Ivey winning (or finishing very strong) would be the best thing for poker in terms of keeping the popularity train going.
the way josh worded it was pretty stupid though. that guy can be a real idiot.

sam h 07-12-2005 08:03 PM

I agree with Arieh.

An unknown (in so far as Greg was "unknown" a year ago) has won three years in a row. It's not like its necessary for somebody else to step forward and win in order for people to believe its possible.

The poker industry has generally done a good job creating and marketing a pantheon of stars. But if Ivey wins it will have its first real superstar, one that is telegenic, young, and a bona fide great all around poker player.

TaoTe 07-12-2005 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't be serious with this question. moneymaker winning in 2003, in conjunction with the huge ratings jump for the world series on espn, was easily the single greatest thing to happen for poker's popularity

FWIW im with the consensus that Ivey winning (or finishing very strong) would be the best thing for poker in terms of keeping the popularity train going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not serious. It's a rhetorical question.

rheaume 07-12-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not serious. It's a rhetorical question.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. well my point is i can't even imagine a world in which moneymaker didn't win in 2003. it totally ushered in a new era of poker.

i'm not glorifying him btw, but years from now when we look back, i think it will be a watershed moment

TaoTe 07-12-2005 08:10 PM

I agree with you.

qbvlay8 07-12-2005 08:42 PM

The reason poker is so popular has more to do with ESPN and the pocket cam more than Moneymaker and Raymer.

Sponger15SB 07-12-2005 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if Ivey wins it will have its first real superstar, one that is telegenic, young, and a bona fide great all around poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ivey is already married.

Nice try though.

Shoe 07-12-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be good for poker because Ivey has a ton of fans and people like watching him play and want to be like him. If he wins a lot of people will start playing to begin their own personal quest to be like him someday. The thought that hey this guy is a pro that is better than I will ever be is thinking on a level about 100x higher than any player new to the game.

dlk9s 07-12-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the fact that Ivey has zero charisma at the table. I've never spoken to him personally, so I can't speak to that. But to a normal, every day fan, he's not too exciting to watch.

Awesome player, though. Fun to watch if you are really into the actual poker being played.

yimyammer 07-12-2005 09:03 PM

Better for poker: Tiffany Williamson

A black woman winning the WSOP has to be best of all the rest for poker...IMHO

astarck 07-12-2005 09:35 PM

Re: Better for poker: Tiffany Williamson

[ QUOTE ]
A black woman winning the WSOP has to be best of all the rest for poker...IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Tiffany?

http://www.gutshot.com/wsop/wsop2005...E/tiffDay4.jpg

ohkanada 07-12-2005 09:38 PM

Time for a new espn feature table?

"CardPlayer.com has done the math, and Table 119, the one housing Farzad Bonyadi and Greg Raymer, is home to 15% of the chips in play. With 12 tables still in action, the average table should have about 8 1/3% of the chips in play. "

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make this table the espn table after the dinner break. Of course maybe mike the mouth with chips is just too good for them to make the change.

Ken

MoreWineII 07-12-2005 09:40 PM

ESPN just showed the replay of last year around 18th-19th place where he calls all-in with a straight flush draw, whines like a sissy-girl to his fiancee about god-knows-what, hits the draw on the river, then taunts <I forget his name> about the hand.

I had forgotten what a tool he was.

ziggy_m 07-12-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN just showed the replay of last year around 18th-19th place where he calls all-in with a straight flush draw, whines like a sissy-girl to his fiancee about god-knows-what, hits the draw on the river, then taunts <I forget his name> about the hand.

I had forgotten what a tool he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. He whines, "I can't believe you put all your money in with AJo" (after hitting his ace on the flop), when he had all his in with 89h on a draw.

Then like two hands later, "I can't believe he put all his money in with JJ", when he had all his in AK.

Like double standards much, Josh?

zipo 07-12-2005 10:40 PM

LOL - hilarious.

That insufferable clown Arieh is still steaming after getting busted in last year's WSOP by Raymer.

A Raymer repeat would be good for poker. Arieh *not* winning is great for poker as well.

Gordon Scott 07-12-2005 11:08 PM

Here's something that could be great for poker. Arieh and other blow hards shut their pie hole's, be nice and stop running off the new players )at all levels).

Another great player that comes off as an A-Hole...IMHO

Side note: I'm for Ivey right behind Raymer.

RiverTheNuts 07-12-2005 11:16 PM

I was playing 3/6 NL at Arieh's table on Bodog the other day and me and him were both yucking it up about his bottomless fish pit... some guy tried to snap off a bluff with Q high for all his chips, must be nice to get sponsored

Uglyowl 07-12-2005 11:17 PM

People say that overall Arieh is a good guy, he just made himself look like an a** during the confrontation.

The latest website posting doesn't help his cause either.

mblax10 07-12-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Really. He whines, "I can't believe you put all your money in with AJo" (after hitting his ace on the flop), when he had all his in with 89h on a draw.

Then like two hands later, "I can't believe he put all his money in with JJ", when he had all his in AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both hands Josh was pushing all-in, while his opponent is making a questionable call. If you don't see the difference start by reading the gap concept than read up on folding equity and go from their.

TheCroShow 07-12-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both hands Josh was pushing all-in, while his opponent is making a questionable call. If you don't see the difference start by reading the gap concept than read up on folding equity and go from their.

[/ QUOTE ]

Russ McGinley 07-12-2005 11:35 PM

Josh had Th9h

Harry Demetriou had AJo

Flop was Ax-Kh-Qh. Harry did not have a heart. Josh moved all-in. Harry called. Turn was a blank. River was a heart and Josh goes off. I just saw the episode last night and he said "You call me with that? We can gamble! You called me with...hoo boy!" and some other things similar. Harry said "you got lucky, plain and simple" and Josh starts going off again.

The call might be questionable but Josh standing over him and taunting him after sucking out is pretty f'n retarded.

ziggy_m 07-13-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I could have sworn that Josh called with the inside straight flush draw.... but if not, OK.

I'm well aware of the gap concept, thanks.

KSKevin 07-13-2005 01:36 AM

Josh definately called the all in bet, but neither of them really played the hand that poorly after the flop.

MushashiAce 07-13-2005 01:49 AM

Not that this really matters, but i think that Josh's poiny was that Demttriou decided to check/ re-raise all in when the board read

A Kh Qh

I believe that although josh went all in, his point was that
a) He had to call with his current pot odds and all the possible draws he could hit (this making harry's check-raise a mistake which forced Josh to go all in.
b) The fact that the hand was raised pre-flop and harry played it so aggresively when there were a wide variety of hands that could have dominated Demetrious hand. (AA-QQ, Ak, AQ, KQ, JT, that were all possible for Josh to have.
c) Harry probably tried to push a hand that Josh thought he could throw him off of, or garb the pot from (and rightfully so).

These are just my thoughts, and as you can see, i can agree with josh being suprised with demetrious play here (A check raise is a rather bold play, even when pl,aying against a loose opponent like Josh). Comments?

ziggy_m 07-13-2005 02:01 AM

I wish I hadn't deleted it from my Tivo...

Regardless, Josh was an a-hole at least thrice in last year's ME, in the last three tables, just counting hands that were caught on camera and shown on ESPN.

He taunted Demetriou after catching his heart on the river, moaned and groaned about getting called with JJ vs AK, and then called Raymer a name after getting eliminated from the final table. Granted Raymer forgave him later.

Together with the ring game hearsay, I have to believe that in general, he's a douche.