Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Harrassment (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289910)

Kaeser 07-10-2005 09:31 AM

Harrassment

I'm looking for some advice, my wife just started playing a few of the tournaments on stars. She has a female avatar and a feminine name. In the last several tourneys she's played in there has been at least 3 players at the table who start making comments about female players. Also their play borders on collusion with them raising each other to get her out of a pot and then checking it down.

Now this isn't so bad as she's a good player and can usually use it to her advantage, but do you think We'd be out of line to report them? Is there a rule on Stars about players hanging around after they're busted verbally abusing another player for the rest of the tourney?

Also I'd like to know if anyone else here has ever seen this type of behavior? Is it just found at the lower limits?

octaveshift 07-10-2005 09:54 AM

Re: Harrassment

[ QUOTE ]

Also I'd like to know if anyone else here has ever seen this type of behavior? Is it just found at the lower limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. This happens to women in *real life* everyday.

So uhhmm yeah. It's typical.

Yuv 07-10-2005 10:39 AM

"Women are being offered sex every single day. Can I help you with that. Can I help you with some d.."

Chris Rock said it best. I'd change the avatar if it bothers her that much. Sucks, but humans are basically scums.

Annulus 07-10-2005 12:06 PM

if it bothers you that much change the fcking avatar. and sir, please take off your panties!

skoal2k4 07-10-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now this isn't so bad as she's a good player and can usually use it to her advantage...

[/ QUOTE ]

why the [censored] would you take away any advantage you have? Block their chat or report them. There's no need to ask for permission here before you do anything

Chief911 07-10-2005 01:43 PM

I REALLY have to call shenanigans that players on stars are purposefully raising to get her out of a pot, then checking it down. Post just 2 examples of this happening from hand histories, and I'll believe you, otherwise I have a hard time believing that.

From my experience on stars, if anything, people softplay women more than anything.

I could see people verbally being abusive if they bust, etc. I think you simply report that, and stars support is very good about taking morons chat away for doing stuff like that.

Finally, as someone else said, another easy solution is to change the avatar (email support), and if need be, change the username (They will do this is the circumstances warrant it).

But I dont buy the part about raising her out of pots.

Nick

KingCon 07-10-2005 01:47 PM

Whats her PS name? from your post it looks like she needs a real man to take up for her.

Kablooie 07-10-2005 01:49 PM

I got enough of this on my first account (party), that thereafter I chose androgynous names, and lied about my sex as necessary. (This led to a rather entertaining conversation with empire one time when they did an identity check, but they were understanding). It's damn irritating at best, i'm not sure which is worse, the abuse, the chat up lines, or the are you really female crap.

My advice would be to report anything that's blatantly out of line, and consider asking Stars for a name/avatar change if she just can't be bothered with this nonsense. Or just fight back. I've found that questioning the abuser's age can be particularly effective - can't think why that would be. And of course, there's always that moment of supreme pleasure, when their stack becomes one with yours.

skoal2k4 07-10-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I REALLY have to call shenanigans...

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

iraise50 07-11-2005 04:54 AM

First, I think Kaeser is probably a gentleman, and willing to maintain his dignity and that being willing to "type back" to someone is not a certain sign of manliness. That said, were I him I would email support about the problem, mute and make notes on the players, and if it bothered my wife, have her change her avatar. My wife can deal with stuff like pretty well, so she just bides her time and works on tilting that player. When she beats them in a pot, she quenstions their manhood, particularly if they fold to her. When I have the notes on that player, I sometimes needle them back, particularly if I am wanting them to continue to be loose players. Kaeser, sometimes someone insulting your wife online bothers you, I'm sure. If it adversly affects you, then don't watch her play, especially if she can take it. If she can't, mute, report, notate and exploit. If they call her the wrong thing in person, well...feel free to be as macho as you're able.

A_PLUS 07-11-2005 10:31 AM

I have a friend who only plays under female names and avatars, so he can have players change their play against him.

Can someone explain why it is bad when two or more players are raising just to force you out of a pot. I may legally change my name if you promise they will do it to me.

As for the chat, just mute it. If you are playing poker for the social aspect of it, sorry not much you can do. Maybe switch sites. FWIW I have seen the least idiotic chat at UB. It exists of course, but not nearly as bad.

BAK 07-11-2005 11:35 AM

I have always played under a name that is obviously female. I often get hit on, which I find amusing - "You do realize you are looking at a cartoon, right?" It is usually light hearted and, since I am actually a woman, I have lots of experience dealing with this kind of thing.

I started playing Party tourneys recently and have had to take some disgusting abuse from railbirds. I am not a trash talker and generally keep a pleasent demeaner at the poker table, both live and online. The railbirds seem to get upset when I have more chips than their friend.

Is there a way to mute a railbird on PP who is not actually sitting at any table you can find? I hate to have to turn off all chat, since I don't want to miss something telling going on with the people I am actually playing with. On the other hand, it has been happening to me so much lately, that I guess I will just get used to it and use it to my advantage as much as possible. It was clearly getting me sympathy from the other players.

The funny thing is, I worry that my dad has to see this, since he plays regularly on one of my accounts.

JC_Saves 07-25-2005 11:23 AM

You should report any and everything that you think is out of line and let customer support deal with these idiots.

You might have your wife say something like that she is really a man because dumbasses always think they can play better than a woman just like them and then she ends up taking their money.

McMelchior 07-25-2005 02:23 PM

Report.

Each and every time.

There's no room for - and should be zero tolerance for - sexism, racism, cultural and national chauvinism and most other negative and abusive 'isms in poker.

PokerStars is a site that take this very seriously, and I have - in a number of clear cases of sexist chat abuse, including application of demeaning expression in foreign languages - seen Stars time and again terminate the chat privileges of offenders without warning, as they should.

Be reporting you not only protect yourself, but also future victims of the abusive behavior.

And don't for a minute believe players who resort to sexist chat abuse act any differently in non-online situations.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Benal 07-25-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to mute a railbird on PP who is not actually sitting at any table you can find?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can turn off all observer chat, and still see what players at your table are saying. Just right click in the chat window, and click "turn off viewer chat".

KyleM 07-25-2005 05:07 PM

this required a "discussion"?
disable chat?
common sense?

Cleopatra 07-25-2005 08:16 PM

McMelchior is exactly right. Report any kind of insulting chat to support@pokerstars.com whenever it happens. They will send you back an email telling you they appreciate your being their "eyes and ears", and they will say what action they have taken (generally either they revoke the player's chat or give them a warning).

The easiest way to report chat abuse is just copy it from the chat box, then paste it into your email client. Then just put "Chat" in the subject line. (That way you don't divert any more of your attention than necessary from the game. Don't spend time composing an actual message saying what you don't like about what the person said, you don't even have to say "I am writing to complain about the following chat"; just paste it in and they will understand.)

Also don't engage the offenders in a chat war of the "no, you're the moron" variety. Don't bother to tell them that you reported them to support; for all they know it might have been someone else at the table.

Disabling a player's chat is a poor option, because whenever they say something it will appear as "***" and you'll be curious what they are saying. As much as it's unpleasant to see someone making vile insults against you in the chat box, it's even more unpleasant to know they are insulting you and know that everyone at the table except you can see it.

KyleM 07-25-2005 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McMelchior is exactly right. Report any kind of insulting chat to support@pokerstars.com whenever it happens. They will send you back an email telling you they appreciate your being their "eyes and ears", and they will say what action they have taken (generally either they revoke the player's chat or give them a warning).

The easiest way to report chat abuse is just copy it from the chat box, then paste it into your email client. Then just put "Chat" in the subject line. (That way you don't divert any more of your attention than necessary from the game. Don't spend time composing an actual message saying what you don't like about what the person said, you don't even have to say "I am writing to complain about the following chat"; just paste it in and they will understand.)

Also don't engage the offenders in a chat war of the "no, you're the moron" variety. Don't bother to tell them that you reported them to support; for all they know it might have been someone else at the table.

Disabling a player's chat is a poor option, because whenever they say something it will appear as "***" and you'll be curious what they are saying. As much as it's unpleasant to see someone making vile insults against you in the chat box, it's even more unpleasant to know they are insulting you and know that everyone at the table except you can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg always something to cry about huh? so you block their chat and then complain that you're being insulted by somebody you don't know over the internet, and several other people you don't know can read the insults? grow up?

Double Eagle 07-25-2005 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

omg always something to cry about huh? so you block their chat and then complain that you're being insulted by somebody you don't know over the internet, and several other people you don't know can read the insults? grow up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the pre-pubescent take.

The rest of us will continue to report such behaviour each and every time it occurs.

inanevoyage 07-25-2005 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this required a "discussion"?
disable chat?
common sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else not appreciating this guy's input?

KyleM 07-25-2005 11:41 PM

ok I'm sorry to all of the sensitive people out there!!!