Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   funny hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288194)

Tommy Angelo 07-07-2005 02:55 PM

funny hand

I知 in the $20-40 at the Mirage right now and I had to run upstairs to tell you about this funny hand that just happened. I had just got in the game. I played both blinds floplessly and then I got 87s on the button. One guy limped. I raised. The small blind folded and the big blind called. Three players.

The flop was 10-10-6, with two of my suit. They both checked, I bet, and they both called. The turn was an offsuit queen. They checked and I checked. The river was an offsuit king. They checked and I checked.

The big blind turned over 9-8, for nine-high. The limper turned over 9-7, same hand. I mucked. There were words and squirms. I have to go. I think it痴 my blind.

Tommy

Clarkmeister 07-07-2005 02:58 PM

Re: funny hand

This is the same sequence we talked about yesterday. Only you got the river wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

highlife 07-07-2005 02:58 PM

sounds like a good game.

Clarkmeister 07-07-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it the "I知 in the $20-40 at the Mirage " that gave it away?

highlife 07-07-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh yeah.

Lestat 07-07-2005 03:10 PM

Why did you check the river?

PokerBob 07-07-2005 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these games typically that soft? I found the Bellagio 15 games to be like taking candy from a baby last month. Is the Mirage just as good?

Turning Stone Pro 07-07-2005 03:54 PM

No offense, but you absolutely suck at poker. . .

Same old story, another post of a ridiculously-poorly played hand. You can't find a bet on the turn? With a gutshot and flush draw? Holy Smokes. And check it down like a weak-tight moron?

It is hard describe how weak the limit holdem games in this country have become.

People ask me why I work anymore, and it's getting tougher and tougher to come up with a legitimate response.

TSP

spamuell 07-07-2005 04:09 PM

Re: No offense, but you absolutely suck at poker. . .

[ QUOTE ]
People ask me why I work anymore, and it's getting tougher and tougher to come up with a legitimate response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a poker habit to maintain.

highlife 07-07-2005 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same old story, another post of a ridiculously-poorly played hand. You can't find a bet on the turn? With a gutshot and flush draw? Holy Smokes. And check it down like a weak-tight moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with Tommy A. I would rather laugh at a stupid hand like this than nit over a missed bet on the turn.

You are "ridiculously-poor" at life.

Victor 07-07-2005 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these games typically that soft? I found the Bellagio 15 games to be like taking candy from a baby last month. Is the Mirage just as good?

[/ QUOTE ]

bellagio games are super good but mirage is more profitable due to it being higher stakes.

also, one experiences a strange feeling of exuberance when beating up on the local nits at the mirage.

DanZ 07-07-2005 06:13 PM

It is well documented that I consistently disagree with tommy's strategy decisions, but this hand was played reasonably, and certainly he played the turn correctly.

He has every reason to believe he's getting at least called on the turn. It's possible he could have bluffed the river, but just because both opponents had very weak hands and could not call does not make this bluff profitable in general.

Dan Z.

Justin A 07-07-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell them about your never ending downswing. How big is it now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SoBeDude 07-07-2005 06:53 PM

easy there killer.

there is nothing wrong with checking with nothing when you have position and outs to improve. Its even mentioned in HPFAP.

And u know, I suck at poker too. but I know I wanna suck at poker more like Tommy sucks at poker.

As a matter of fact, I'm jumping in the shower real quick and heading to the Mirage. I hope he's still there.

-Scott

roy_miami 07-07-2005 07:08 PM

Why didn't you just start raking in the pot? I doubt you would get much resistance.

SA125 07-07-2005 08:34 PM

Could swear I remember reading you sticking out the olive branch to Tommy and Clark not that long ago. Something about how they're probably better than you live and you're better online. Que paso?

andyfox 07-07-2005 10:42 PM

I hate it when that happens. Why didn't they just muck, the bastards?

First hand I ever played at 20-40 I had A-9s and the board ended up T-8-7-4-T, no flush possible. Five of us played for two bets pre-flop, two bets on the flop and a bet on the turn. All five of us were still there on the river AMHWG.

elysium 07-08-2005 12:59 AM

hi tommy

what were they doing in there anyway unsuited? that's just not fair. welcome back anyway. suited....very thoughtful tommy.

Subfallen 07-08-2005 01:33 AM

elysium = [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

elindauer 07-08-2005 01:38 AM

Hi TSP,

Although I often disagree with Tommy's play, the turn check is standard and a river bluff into two obviously loose players seems questionable. Certainly not nearly as bad a play as you're making it out to be.

My 2 cents.
Eric

The Dude 07-08-2005 01:46 AM

Andy, the first hand I was ever dealt at 20-40 was AA. They held up. In that same orbit, I got KK and QQ that also both held up. I finished down two racks that session. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Lawrence Ng 07-08-2005 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Andy, the first hand I was ever dealt at 20-40 was AA. They held up. In that same orbit, I got KK and QQ that also both held up. I finished down two racks that session.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show-off. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng 07-08-2005 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The big blind turned over 9-8, for nine-high. The limper turned over 9-7, same hand. I mucked. There were words and squirms. I have to go. I think it痴 my blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy, you left this game to come up and type this? Shame on you. I would be glued to that seat and wouldn't miss a hand even if I had to [censored] in my pants. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Lawrence

SpaceAce 07-08-2005 06:14 AM

Man, what is with you? There is nothing wrong with checking the turn, here.

I do think the river is a pretty easy bet, though. When they check to you again on a King river after you raised pre-flop, bet the flop and checked the turn, you have a mighty good chance of taking down the pot. At least in my experience.

SpaceAce

Tommy Angelo 07-08-2005 08:15 AM

"Tommy, you left this game to come up and type this? Shame on you."

Hi Lawrence,

I understand that your comment was lighthearted, but let's examine the implications. There's a catch 22 of sorts in here that I've always found fascinating.

One of the objects of the game for me is to have the best of it. To that end, I maintain physical and mental strength when I'm at the table. One way I do that is to take many breaks, during which I do many things. Another way is to quit the game before I get fatigued.

This means, in theory, that every time I take a break, and that every time I rack up to quit, there is a high probability that I am walking away from a game when I have the best of it.

So, what do you think? Am I a good quitter or a bad one?

Tommy

Turning Stone Pro 07-08-2005 09:21 AM

Why is this a standard turn check? Tommy showed strength pre-flop with a raise, two callers (one of whom in the blind). On the flop, he has at least 12 good outs in all liklihood. No one showed strength on the flop.

Why is it not worth it to take a stab on the turn? There are already 9 SBs by the time it gets to the turn, its not worth 1 BB to bet the turn and see if they have anything?

I think there is at least a 1 in 4 chance that they both muck, and even if one or both call, you still have many potential outs on the river, and even an 7 or 8 might be good.

I just think this is an extremely passive way to play a hand when you have a good amount of outs, you have position, and no one has shown any strength.

TSP

anuj 07-08-2005 09:28 AM

I would imagine a ten checking the turn hoping to raise the person who bet the flop. So I think he took the free card on his flush draw.