Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I Found Moneymaker!!! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281667)

acIdREIGN462 06-27-2005 06:05 PM

I Found Moneymaker!!!

So my friend calls me up today and tells me that Chris Moneymaker is at our local Winn Dixie. I blow him off but he is persistant so my roommate and I drive over there to check it out thinking it is certainly a prank. However, upon arriving we find Chris Moneymaker playing heads up with some random kid in the Winn Dixie.

Overall it was a pretty sad sight. All of about 5 people were gathered around and Moneymaker looked miserable. A man who I will assume was his agent/manager was begging people to come take pictures with him. So I did.

Anyway I had read the thread today about whether or not he was at the WSOP and decided to let you guys know he is here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana touring supermarkets. I think he is representing this "Canadian Club" whiskey or something.

I asked him personally if he was playing any events at the WSOP other than the ME because I had seen the thread on this topic this morning. He told me he was just playing the ME because he just had a daughter 18 days ago and he was busy with this advertising gig.

Anyway here is the picture taken about an hour ago at Winn Dixie, Baton Rouge, LA. My roommate is on the left and I am standing next to the Canadian Club showgirl "Bambi":

http://img74.echo.cx/img74/8046/clipboard7wk.jpg

augie00 06-27-2005 06:13 PM

Re: I Found Moneymaker!!!

That sucks. Poor guy. Raymer is touring aorund the world playing poker tournaments and Chris is pushing whiskey at your local Winn Dixie.

TomHimself 06-27-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sucks. Poor guy. Raymer is touring aorund the world playing poker tournaments and Chris is pushing whiskey at your local Winn Dixie.

[/ QUOTE ]

utmt40 06-27-2005 06:30 PM

LMAO

djoyce003 06-27-2005 06:35 PM

dude that's a wicked caveman look you have going. Ever see a razor? And get a haircut and get a real job. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ortho 06-27-2005 06:35 PM

Today's wallpaper!

JoeC 06-27-2005 06:37 PM

They sell whiskey at Winn Dixie in LA?

acIdREIGN462 06-27-2005 06:43 PM

Real job? hahahaha "Pokah nice. I love play Pokah."

acIdREIGN462 06-27-2005 06:47 PM

They don't sell whiskey in Winn Dixie's elsewhere? This is Louisiana, we are all drinkers(notice the LSU paraphernalia).

baronzeus 06-27-2005 06:50 PM

Why do you feel bad for him? He's a millionaire. And no matter what people say, you'd have to be the luckiest man alive to win the WSOP without any skill.

hoopsie44 06-27-2005 06:52 PM

Was there any vibe going on between Moneymaker and Bambi?

nath 06-27-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell whiskey EVERYWHERE in LA.

augie00 06-27-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you feel bad for him? He's a millionaire. And no matter what people say, you'd have to be the luckiest man alive to win the WSOP without any skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not and never was on the Moneymaker hating bandwagon. I would feel bad for anyone who's making a living doing that, not just Chris.

But I feel especially bad for him because the last thing I want to do as a professional poker player is tour supermarkets playing heads up with some donk in front of five people. I'd want to be, you know, at the WSOP in front of the lights and cameras, raking in huge pots and winning WSOP bracelets.

Let's examine this again:

a. Play heads up for nothing with nobody
b. Play for millions of dollars with top professionals

Which one would you rather be doing?

Russ McGinley 06-27-2005 07:59 PM

Whats incredibly ironic about it is that a lot of people credit his win for really boosting poker into a mainstream-accepted TV game and now look at him only 2 years later.

Kevmath 06-27-2005 08:03 PM

The way he's been running, next year he'll be sponsored by Two Buck Chuck.

Kevin...

PuckNPoker 06-27-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's examine this again:

a. Play heads up for nothing with nobody
b. Play for millions of dollars with top professionals

Which one would you rather be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think in this particular case, choice (A) is the clear cut +EV selection..

augie00 06-27-2005 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats incredibly ironic about it is that a lot of people credit his win for really boosting poker into a mainstream-accepted TV game and now look at him only 2 years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not quite sure exactly how ironic it is. His celebrity has certainly died down, that is for certain. But he was never really charismatic in front of the cameras...his celebrity came from the fact that he turned $80 into 2.5 million.

Raymer did something similar, and now it seems that they make a big deal out the usual half of every WPT final table which have qualified by satellite for about $20. Moneymaker isn't anything special anymore, he's just a face on the wall at Binions.

And I forgot to mention to the OP that I replied to is that I doubt that Moneymaker is still a millionare. Or maybe if he is, he probably doesn't live like a "stereotypical" millionare if you will. But that's all just a bunch of guessing. In reality I have no idea. His lack of presence at the WSOP might be an indicator though.

utmt40 06-27-2005 08:52 PM

In the other post I beleive someone stated he just a had a kid with his wife so that also may be some of the reason as to why he isnt playing much. I think we all may be looking into this too much but I doubt he is broke by any means.

acIdREIGN462 06-27-2005 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was there any vibe going on between Moneymaker and Bambi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, no vibe. If I were to lie and say yes, I bet this thread would get a lot more interesting though. She was out of Moneymaker's league though IMHO.

gildwulf 06-27-2005 09:00 PM

That's not the Bambi I remember from my childhood.

Bigdaddydvo 06-27-2005 10:19 PM

Looks like he's still doing promo work for Pstars as well.

You know, the commercial where he recreates his "YES!!!" from winning the ME.

He may not have a multimillion dollar endorsement deal from Nike or anything, but he's probably getting some decent scratch for his promo work. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

augie00 06-27-2005 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...he just had a daughter 18 days ago and he was busy with this advertising gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pity him because he's not playing. I pitied him because he's not playing and he's touring supermarkets. There is a difference.

DallasCoonass 06-27-2005 10:31 PM

That the WD on Burbank? If so, he should've gone w/ school in session.

What a tool!, although I probably wouldn't care if people didn't compare him w/ Raymer so much.

CrazyN8 06-28-2005 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grocery stores in LA (Louisiana) have ailses that look like liquor stores. It's a beautiful thing!

acIdREIGN462 06-28-2005 12:40 AM

Yep the WD on Burbank, are you from around here?

plaid 06-28-2005 01:34 AM

Who's the one with the big boobs?

And who's the one with the blond curly hair?

:-)

p.s., good job, acIdREIGN462...the thought of a Winn Dixie tour made my night. Gotta wonder how much he's getting paid for this tour. I mean, the Pokerstars gig (national advert -- even if just on cable TV) must be a couple hundred a year...why do this tour?

plaid 06-28-2005 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't sell whiskey in Winn Dixie's elsewhere? This is Louisiana, we are all drinkers(notice the LSU paraphernalia).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any states (until now) where hard liquor was sold at a grocery store. All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores. In Massachusetts, no alcoholic beverage (including beer and wine) are sold anywhere but a liquor store, and only during certain hours (and not Sunday).

BTW, is it true that in LA, they have drive up windows, where you can order a margarita to go? (I heard this the other day, and thought it might be an exaggeration).

typesick 06-28-2005 01:46 AM

I don't see what the problem is here. Moneymaker teamed up with Canadian Club Whiskey and the APL (Amateur Poker League). Canadian Club has been going to the APL events and giving out free samples of their products. The winners of the APL events get to play against Moneymaker in Las Vegas for $2.5 million. Obviously, as part of their business deal, Canadian Club has asked Moneymaker to make some "celebrity appearances" to help advertise their products.

www.amateurpokerleague.com

Shibby 06-28-2005 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any states (until now) where hard liquor was sold at a grocery store. All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores. In Massachusetts, no alcoholic beverage (including beer and wine) are sold anywhere but a liquor store, and only during certain hours (and not Sunday).

BTW, is it true that in LA, they have drive up windows, where you can order a margarita to go? (I heard this the other day, and thought it might be an exaggeration).

[/ QUOTE ]
Not an exaggeration. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I live in Northern Louisiana, but I'm from Baton Rouge and this place up here has completely different liquor laws than BR or NO. It's not Louisiana specific, parishes (counties) make their own laws.

krazyace5 06-28-2005 02:29 AM

This link works

http://www.ccsmooth.com/index.asp

hicherbie 06-28-2005 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

jon462 06-28-2005 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can in New Orleans, at least.. 365\year 24/day you can find liquor easily.. i thought it funny they wouldnt sell me a scratch-off after midnight tho, haha

niin 06-28-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy hard liquor at the big-chain grocery store down the road all the time, in southern CA.

plaid 06-28-2005 04:26 AM

Hmm...I guess I'm wrong. I lived in Playa del Rey about 12 years ago, and don't remember it to be the case (I guess I'm mistaken -- either that, or they've changed the law). Also lived in Seattle, and I don't remember liquor at a local store there (but being wrong about CA has me questioning that). Well, I'm certain that in OR you have to go to a liquor store (and 1 out of 3 is not very good).

billyjex 06-28-2005 04:50 AM

yeah.. i buy hard liquor at safeway/rite aid all the time, they have better prices than liquor stores. however in cali we can't buy after 2.

niin 06-28-2005 05:18 AM

I know I found the concept of liquor in grocery stores odd when I moved to CA from Texas. But Texas is backwards anyway.

Malachii 06-28-2005 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He may not have a multimillion dollar endorsement deal from Nike or anything, but he's probably getting some decent scratch for his promo work. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I still feel badly for him though. I got the feeling after reading his book that he blew all his winnings from the ME on sports betting and just general gambling...

Chief911 06-28-2005 10:23 AM

Difference between Raymer and Moneymaker?

One of them can play good poker. One can't.

Nick

Your Mom 06-28-2005 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is news to me. In Nebraska and Missouri, the only 2 states I have lived in, hard liquor is sold at every grocery store.

jpumass11 06-28-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy beer/liquor at a grocery store in Maine as well. I read somewhere that Mainers drink more beer per capita than any other state in the US. Must be the cold winters.