Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sticky (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281249)

Andy B 06-27-2005 02:31 AM

No, not my keyboard.

I have draft sticky here. I did it on GeoCities because I can work on it at the office and I can edit it. So if you read this on Wednesday or something some of the suggestions may already have been taken into account.

I didn't get as much done on it this weekend as I had hoped. There are one or two Qs with no As. I intended to include more odds. I've probably forgotten a suggestion or three.

I'm hoping someone will dig up a couple of decent threads for me to link in there. I'd do it myself, but I've got a busy week, what with Santana coming to town and everything. Any suggestions about content, grammar, whatever, please post it here, or PM me if you're shy.

peritonlogon 06-27-2005 03:01 AM

Re: Sticky

you're greenage I assume? How can I access old posts?

bugstud 06-27-2005 06:54 AM

probably want to add whatever odds chart I've seen with # of cards dead = % to hit stuff.

good start thus far.

TheShootah 06-27-2005 07:16 AM

No, Greenage is Greenage. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

TheShootah 06-27-2005 07:22 AM

Under the other books, why does it just say Morehead without a title?

jon_1van 06-27-2005 10:13 AM

About the computer programs that keep track of dead cards.

The only thing about this that we should include is Greenage's system for keeping track of downcards in hilo. If I recall correctly he used a stack of pennies and a piece of paper...or something like this. I think anything more complicated than this should not be "legitamized"/spread etc etc

greenage 06-27-2005 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, here is a link to that thread.

7 Stud/8 dead card counter

greenage 06-27-2005 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to have Sklansky write a sticky? How often do you think he reads this forum? I'm not one-tenth the theoretician that Sklansky is, but I am the better writer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Q. Dude, how can you play 7-card stud with eight players? Like, you'll run out of cards! 7 x 8 = 56 and there are only 52 cards in the deck! Like, y'know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm searching for a thread(s) on this one.

Q. I have a freeroll that starts in three minutes and I've never played stud in my life.

No luck so far.

greenage 06-27-2005 12:40 PM

Robert\'s Rules of Poker

Seven-Card Stud

Seven-Card Stud High-Low

Razz

greenage 06-27-2005 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q. I have a freeroll that starts in three minutes and I've never played stud in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one

Nick_Foxx 06-27-2005 01:26 PM

here are some more probabilities relevant to stud hi-lo split 8-or-better and razz:

odds of starting with 3 unpaired babies
8 and below: 5.2 to 1
7 and below: 8.9 to 1
6 and below: 16.3 to 1
5 and below: 33.5 to 1

4th street:
starting with a 3-card low, odds of catching:
an unpaired baby 8 or below: 3 to 2
pairing up one of your babies: 4.4 to 1
total brick: 3 to 2

odds of NOT completing an 8-low given four unpaired babies on fourth street:
no outs gone: approx. 3.6 to 1
1 out gone: approx. 3.1 to 1
2 outs gone: approx. 2.6 to 1
3 outs gone: approx. 2.3 to 1
4 outs gone: approx. 1.9 to 1
5 outs gone: approx. 1.6 to 1
6 outs gone: approx. 1.4 to 1
7 outs gone: approx. 1.1 to 1

(you are never a dog to make an 8-low with 4 unpaired babies on 4th street)

mike

greenage 06-27-2005 05:00 PM

Two book links

A Konstantin Othmer book thread

Short reply from M. Malmuth about Roy West book

PoorLawyer 06-27-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
probably want to add whatever odds chart I've seen with # of cards dead = % to hit stuff.

good start thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think there are some in TOP if I remember correctly so you can just point someone to the page

PoorLawyer 06-27-2005 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, here is a link to that thread.

7 Stud/8 dead card counter

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the "what program should I use as a crutch" is becoming a more common question than the "how can you play since there aren't 56 cards" question. this needs to be addressed somewhere, even if it is just to say that they arent endorsed or recommended and will kill your ability to play live. this could be a gbood spot for those memory posts.

another FAQ is the "where are the best games to play" which doesnt really have a good answer. maybe put somehting in there about how stars has ultra low limits down to 4 cents or whatever it is and that they have lower ante which is good for tight players. maybe mention the paradise no ante game and mention that apparently the party games are real juicy at 3/6 or so?

TheShootah 06-27-2005 05:18 PM

I wrote some stuff in your last thread for ideas for the sticky that was for freeroll strategies. Pretty vague for 6th and 7th street, but basically had some other stuff in it that I thought was reasonable.

bygmesterf 06-27-2005 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

good start thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think there are some in TOP if I remember correctly so you can just point someone to the page

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dead card charts are in Sklansky on poker. Misc charts are in SS1 and Mike Caro's website.

Good discussions of dead cards can be found in Konstantin' Othmer's book, and "Science of Poker" by Mahmood N Mahmood

greenage 06-27-2005 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're greenage I assume? How can I access old posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the left hand column, there is a link to the Older Archives.

Try the first link first as it will provide you with the search feature.

If Andy B throws up after reading your reply, he will have a sticky keyboard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

greenage

Andy, maybe a link to the Older Archives should be in the FAQ as well?

PoorLawyer 06-27-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

good start thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dead card charts are in Sklansky on poker. Misc charts are in SS1 and Mike Caro's website.

Good discussions of dead cards can be found in Konstantin' Othmer's book, and "Science of Poker" by Mahmood N Mahmood

[/ QUOTE ]

cites to TOP Charts:

p 38 has a chart of chances for a flush based on # of your suit out.

p 39 has a chart of chances of making 2 pr or trips after starting with a pair, based on the number of your cards that are dead.

p 40 has a chart of % chance of getting a straight after starting with a 4straight.

p 40 also has the chances of making an 8 low in razz and p41 gives the chances to make a 7 low based on the # of dead 5s 6s and 7s.

mscags 06-27-2005 09:07 PM

Looks really good so far. Keep up the good work. Thanks for all of the time that you are putting into this.

BTirish 06-28-2005 01:54 AM

Here is a great link to information about the odds of making a flush, assuming you start with a 3 flush. It covers every street and every possible number of dead cards / cards seen.

http://www.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/comp24/

SittingBull 06-28-2005 06:03 AM

Hello,Greenage! I learned something...

new. I always thought of "completing the bet" on 3rd was a "raise".
Thanks for bringing up Robert's rule.
SittingBull

SittingBull 06-28-2005 06:35 AM

Hello,Greenage! There have been some severe criticism...

about Roy's beginner's book and Othmer's book by some esteemed players on this site. Thanks for UR research indicating Mason's approval of Roy's book for beginners and an endorsement of Othmer's book by Caro,Huck Seed,and Grapes.Konstantin provides a very scientific approach to stud. But the way the book is written, a beginner can skip all materials on charts,graphs,and stats. Reading and studying the remaining portions will improve his plays tremendously. Hence,it is very readable. However,if one is interested in the THEORY behind the suggestions,then he will have to understand the mathematics.
West and Sklansky,Mason,RayZee's books are geared toward the non-mathematical players;Othmer's book is more geared toward the mathematically orienated players.

I've ALWAYS maintained that a beginner should THOROUGHLY study Roy BEFORE jumping into the advanced version;otherwise,a beginner will be confused about some of the ideas presented by Sklansky,Mason,and RayZee.
Reading and studying the advanced version before having a basic fundamental knowledge of stud is like jumping from a low-limit game to a high limit without taking the gradual steps in between to finally arrive at the higher limit games.
Thanks,Greenage,for bring ur research to the surface. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
HappyPokering,
SittingBull

jon_1van 06-28-2005 07:21 AM

that will be easy to memorize

Andy B 06-28-2005 11:25 AM

The full title of the Morehead book is given under five-card stud books.

greenage 06-28-2005 11:38 AM

Re: Hello,Greenage! I learned something...

Your are welcome SittingBull.

greenage 06-28-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Hello,Greenage! There have been some severe criticism...

Your are welcome again SittingBull. I’ve been thinking about picking up a copy of Roy West and because of your continuing support of his work, I think I actually will.

greenage

Andy B 06-28-2005 11:55 AM

I liked this thread, if only because someone used the phrase "O' contraire." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Being the tournament Ace I am (perfect record so far), I think I'm going to write a little something myself.