Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Huge draw on flop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280965)

AllIn3High 06-26-2005 06:49 PM

Huge draw on flop

I'm having trouble playing big draws on the flop in un-unraised pots.

Comments on all streets appriciated (especially the flop)

Villian is 38/15/3.3 and fairly aggressive. No special reads tho.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG ($36.42)
Button ($161.3)
SB ($94.6)
Hero ($140.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls $3, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $21.

Turn: ($66) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($66) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes</font>

xorbie 06-26-2005 06:57 PM

Re: Huge draw on flop

Perfect.

chumsferd 06-26-2005 07:20 PM

Crikey, why'd you think you are having trouble? Spot on, I'd say.

beginnersluck13 06-26-2005 07:22 PM

I like this as well, but I don't see myself making that reraise on the flop with my draw and I think I would just call there. Just out of curiousity is the purpose of your reraise to get the free card on the turn if you didn't hit?

nuSFwck 06-26-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one question, if villian pushed after your reraise on the flop, would you call? I'm curious because I have a difficult time in this situation as well, especially in an unraised pot. If he had a little shorter stack it would be much easier, but he's got a decent stack behind.

xorbie 06-26-2005 07:24 PM

Or to get a fold.

imported_anacardo 06-26-2005 07:24 PM

It's to get all his money in. He's a favorite over practically anything but a set. Even there he's real close.

EDIT: All of the above!

nuSFwck 06-26-2005 07:31 PM

I think just calling here is wrong. He has a monster draw, and in an unraised pot villian could easily have nothing more than top pair. If he raises (or reraises) he gets three results: villian folds and he picks it up, villian calls out of position and gives a free card and hero sees a free river, or villian pushes. 15 outs with two cards to come, is this a call everytime? I'd like to hear what others think.........

imported_anacardo 06-26-2005 07:35 PM

He 3x reraised a 3x raise. What says more strength than that?

Villain's push is a little dicey on this board; you're crushed by KdXd and behind any set. Read-dependent, I guess, but I'd have a helluva lot of trouble laying this down.

AllIn3High 06-26-2005 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crikey, why'd you think you are having trouble? Spot on, I'd say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because i was discussing it with a couple of others and some advocated just calling his check-raise and getting more money in only if i hit. That or betting the turn.

I played it like I thought was right, but I lost quite a lot of cash last week and have lost confidence in my game.

My reasoning for 3-betting the flop:
1) I'm hoping he folds and I don't have to hit
2) I won't mind a push, the pot is big enough to compensate if he has a set and since it's 4 handed he might push with hands I'm a favorite against
3) If he just calls I can get a free card on the turn if I want to.

And i took the free card since betting would basicly put him all-in and I'm no longer a favorite over any hand he could call with on the flop and I doubt he's folding a better hand (_maybe_ pair+flushdraw).

He folded after i pushed.

Thanks for the input.

Snag 06-26-2005 09:36 PM

In my opinion you played this absolutely perfect up till your river push. I'd make $65 to go instead of pushing.

xcrack999 06-26-2005 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion you played this absolutely perfect up till your river push. I'd make $65 to go instead of pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think making it $65 is any different from pushing. Villain has less than $40 left after his river bet. Nice hand.

tripdad 06-26-2005 11:33 PM

i love to play these big draws aggressively as you did. problem in this hand is the pot is only $3.

i check behind here on the flop, and fold to a turn bet because of that. i'm just not interested, no matter how big my draw is, in playing for a lot of money in what initially is a battle of the blinds.

cheers!

AllIn3High 06-27-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i love to play these big draws aggressively as you did. problem in this hand is the pot is only $3.

i check behind here on the flop, and fold to a turn bet because of that. i'm just not interested, no matter how big my draw is, in playing for a lot of money in what initially is a battle of the blinds.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... my hand is certainly a favorite against 2 random hands so betting the flop can't be bad.

And it's 4 handed, 9/10 hands are battle of the blinds.

What's your minimum requirement for engaging in a battle of the blinds here? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

imported_anacardo 06-27-2005 12:18 AM

Are you kidding? Villain's entire stack is potentially available. Who cares how little is in the pot? What use is this thinking in NL, particularly short-handed NL? You'd have to break my arm to keep me from pushing chips into the middle.
You seem to be engaging in the common fallacy of creating an arbitrary, mathematically false distinction between a "draw" and a "made hand."

Komodo 06-27-2005 06:08 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one question, if villian pushed after your reraise on the flop, would you call? I'm curious because I have a difficult time in this situation as well, especially in an unraised pot. If he had a little shorter stack it would be much easier, but he's got a decent stack behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. very easy call.

Komodo 06-27-2005 06:15 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Its easy to be result oriented. I like pushing too.