Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How do you address a vet? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279082)

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 04:09 PM

How do you address a vet?

So, let's say, hypothetically speaking of course, that I... have a friend who's going to be calling the veterinarian today to ask her something about his dog. Does he call her doctor?

What's the play here?

"I have a question for ___"
a) Doctor _____."
b) Ms. ____."
c) the Vet."

lucas9000 06-23-2005 04:11 PM

Re: How do you address a vet?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Veterinarian

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That was entirely too easy.

pshreck 06-23-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the question was whether or not they are technically they are referred to as Doctors.

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:15 PM

My wife was a vet tech. It was funny because in the 10 years she had this occupation at like 4-5 different offices, she would call probably half of them Dr. Something and half by their first names. I don't know why this was the case, but there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to it.

tbach24 06-23-2005 04:15 PM

We all know you don't have friends. We also know you're a dog. Just bark into the phone. The vet will understand.

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:16 PM

Holy crap. I just saw your avatar, pshreck. Too funny. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lucas9000 06-23-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the question was whether or not they are technically they are referred to as Doctors.

[/ QUOTE ]

subject: How do you address a vet?

from my link: ...is addressed as "Dr."

tbach24 06-23-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap. I just saw your avatar, pshreck. Too funny. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's my favorite avatar right now.

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:21 PM

Doctor? He's a veterinarian? Anyone can get into veterinary school. You know doctor is supposed to be such a prestigious occupation. But it's really like one of the only jobs where you have to have your diploma right up there on the wall. It makes them seem so insecure, doesn't it? I really am a doctor you know. You think I'm not, just check it out.

Blarg 06-23-2005 04:24 PM

Dude, vet school is extremely competitive to get into. Extremely.

chaas4747 06-23-2005 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doctor? He's a veterinarian? Anyone can get into veterinary school. You know doctor is supposed to be such a prestigious occupation. But it's really like one of the only jobs where you have to have your diploma right up there on the wall. It makes them seem so insecure, doesn't it? I really am a doctor you know. You think I'm not, just check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawyers do this dumb [censored] also.

chaas4747 06-23-2005 04:26 PM

Hey Fucker!

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, vet school is extremely competitive to get into. Extremely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

swede123 06-23-2005 04:30 PM

And accountants. Pretty much anyone with a degree that is relatively difficult to obtain. Mind you, I'm not saying it's not an ego thing, but at least it's not just doctors. Hell, even the chick who cleans the plaque off of my teeth has all her little junior college diplomas on her wall. This actually caused me to proudly display a certificate of completion of my company's sexual harassment video training. Go me!

Swede

wacki 06-23-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake, stop being an ignorant dumbass. It's actually much harder to become a vet than it is to become a doctor.

The University of Sydney, for example, will only take a Year 12 graduate with a University Admission Index of 98.2. Medical science courses only need a 95.45 mark!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/careers_...cation/vet.htm

swede123 06-23-2005 04:34 PM

I'm not saying Jake is not a dumbass, but saying that it's easier to become a doctor than a vet doesn't exactly tell the whole story, such as what state you're living in, whether you actually want to be a specialized MD as opposed to a family doctor and so on.

Swede

chaas4747 06-23-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And accountants. Pretty much anyone with a degree that is relatively difficult to obtain. Mind you, I'm not saying it's not an ego thing, but at least it's not just doctors. Hell, even the chick who cleans the plaque off of my teeth has all her little junior college diplomas on her wall. This actually caused me to proudly display a certificate of completion of my company's sexual harassment video training. Go me!

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to hang something on my wall that signifies that I am cool, can someone make a "Certificate of posting on 2+2 and actually getting paid for it". I promise I will frame it and everything.

lucas9000 06-23-2005 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lawyers do this dumb [censored] also.

[/ QUOTE ]

most lawyers are doctors. you may all refer to me as dr. lucas9000 from now on.

chaas4747 06-23-2005 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake, stop being an ignorant dumbass. It's actually much harder to become a vet than it is to become a doctor.

The University of Sydney, for example, will only take a Year 12 graduate with a University Admission Index of 98.2. Medical science courses only need a 95.45 mark!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying this is not true. All I am saying is I never want to hear my heart surgeon say: "I was going to be a vet, but I couldn't get in so I decided to do this instead."

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the reference was too obscure.

lucas9000 06-23-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seinfeld?

Morgan O'Mally 06-23-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My boy is wicked smart!

jakethebake 06-23-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seinfeld?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding.

M2d 06-23-2005 04:49 PM

"Hey, Dogboy"
I call my friend who's a vet this all the time.

wacki 06-23-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
such as what state you're living in,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much that way in every state/country.

[ QUOTE ]
whether you actually want to be a specialized MD as opposed to a family doctor and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of figured this much would be obvious.

swede123 06-23-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I need to hang something on my wall that signifies that I am cool, can someone make a "Certificate of posting on 2+2 and actually getting paid for it". I promise I will frame it and everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img279.echo.cx/img279/8973/chaas47477au.th.jpg

You're on your own when it comes to framing...

Swede

Alobar 06-23-2005 05:02 PM

Ive always used "the vet" right or wrong its what I go with, and will continue to use

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 05:04 PM

Wow. I'm glad you guys are having so much fun with this one. To be honest, I really didn't think it'd get even 5 replies, especially after Dr. lucas9000 spoiled all the debating fun with that easy answer in the first reply.

I thought for sure I'd have to ask how much I'm supposed to tip her in order to get this kind of response.

chaas4747 06-23-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img279.echo.cx/img279/8973/chaas47477au.th.jpg

You're on your own when it comes to framing...

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Printed and saved. That is awesome thanks!

stabn 06-23-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I'm glad you guys are having so much fun with this one. To be honest, I really didn't think it'd get even 5 replies, especially after Dr. lucas9000 spoiled all the debating fun with that easy answer in the first reply.

I thought for sure I'd have to ask how much I'm supposed to tip her in order to get this kind of response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give her a bone...

J.R. 06-23-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not in the U.S.

It is statistically harder to get into a veterinary medicine college than it is to get into a human medical college because of the limited number of veterinary colleges (only 27 in the United States) compared to medical colleges. that's a supply issue.

BUT, you only need four years of vet. school and then you sit for the exam (no vet. equivalent of a medical residency- which is no fun), and by all accounts vet school isn't as difficult/competitive as med. school (the super bright folks by and large work on people, not other animals), and medical shool is generally regarded as more complex/challenging than vet. school- human body is quite complex, and our understading of human complexity is greater than of other animals.

not to dump on vets, who are bright and do great stuff, but come on here, u can't say its harder becuase there are less schools IMO. there's more to a postgraduate degree than getting into school.

wacki 06-23-2005 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's actually much harder to get accepted into vet school than it is to get into med school.

[/ QUOTE ]

better?

M2d 06-23-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd give her a bone...

[/ QUOTE ]
In her pooper?

Richie Rich 06-23-2005 05:26 PM

How would you address a dentist?

stabn 06-23-2005 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

I'd give her a bone...

[/ QUOTE ]
In her pooper?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the implication [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

stabn 06-23-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you address a dentist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lying down.

M2d 06-23-2005 05:31 PM

If she's hot enough, there are lots of places to bury a bone

M2d 06-23-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]