Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Complete maniac on Party (no content) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276629)

Mercantides 06-20-2005 10:14 AM

Complete maniac on Party (no content)

I was 2 tabling on PP Sunday afternoon. One of my tables was down to 4 players and I was getting ready to leave when a new player sat down directly to my left. This player proceeded to bet/raise everything. No exaggeration, he did not check or fold a single time and he only called if the betting was capped.

He bought in for the standard $25 and worked his way up to $40 before dropping back to $26.50. After the tenth hand he left the table. Unfortunately I only got one decent hand so I only made 12BB off him.

grjr 06-20-2005 06:05 PM

Re: Complete maniac on Party (no content)

You know, you could probably make money by doing this if you didn't stay at one table too long. Everyone tends to fold to the aggression until they figure out the guys a maniac.

Seems like every time a maniac has come into one of my games he always goes up 15-20 BB real quick but if he sticks around then he will eventually lose it all back.

Therefore, a maniac could just keep hitting different tables and probably show a profit. He gets ahead early and if he happens to start catching cards then he really rakes in some money since now no one believes he has anything and will play back at him.

If he's not catching cards and starts losing then he can go hit up another table. Pretty good way to make money for a bad player.

bozlax 06-20-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good way to make money for a bad player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also won't work above .5/1 I don't think. The players at 2/4 and above would recognize what you were doing too quickly, I think, and a 1/2 you'd win the blinds for a few hands until they, too, figured it out.

At .5/1 you'd probably be good for 2 or 3 orbits, tho. Hmmmmmmm.

Mercantides 06-21-2005 02:08 PM

I assumed the guy was doing some sort of experiment, acted on a dare/boast, or was drunk.

What is the ideal number of players to have at the table for this method of play? I think at a full table you would run into trouble much sooner because the pot odds would be so high you'd always get called down.

KingOtter 06-21-2005 02:12 PM

I think I've seen that one, too. Honest to god, bet whenever checked, and if bet before him, raised. Every single time.

I stung him on a couple hands and he seemed to calm down for a while, but waiting for those hands to come was like waiting for Christmas in October.

KO

bozlax 06-21-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I've seen that one, too. Honest to god, bet whenever checked, and if bet before him, raised. Every single time.

I stung him on a couple hands and he seemed to calm down for a while, but waiting for those hands to come was like waiting for Christmas in October.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

"Please, please, please don't bust out or get bored and leave before I get a hand to play!" And then you keep second-guessing your marginal starting hands...should I play this one? What about this one?

Jaran 06-21-2005 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

It was ME! It was ME! I'm the maniac! Bwahahahhaha

-Jaran

shadow29 06-21-2005 02:54 PM

I'll do this right now at .5/1.

Play every hand or no? Some one give me a pf chart for manic play and we'll see how long it takes me to lose $25. I'll stay at the table 2 orbits or until I've lost it all.

shadow29 06-21-2005 03:05 PM

Alright, I've decided to play this way with almost every hand. I'm folding things like 92o and the like.

I'm on table 25370 in Seat 2.

imported_The Vibesman 06-21-2005 03:05 PM

Saw a guy a lot like this on Absolute last night, except he was seen folding on the turn every once in a while. I think he played every hand, raising pre-flop w/ pocket 6's or A-7 offsuit, raising unmercifully with bottom pair no kicker and hands of this nature. I only took one pot off him unfortunately, as he was extremely lucky for the time he was in there. (flopped a full house w/ 8-5 offsuit, flopped a str8 playing j-9 offsuit against a pre-flop raise, are just two of the examples.) Had the whole table in awe of the cards he was getting, how badly he played them and how lucky he was. Had I not been on a massive losing streak I would have enjoyed it, but I was and I didn't.

bottomset 06-21-2005 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do this right now at .5/1.

Play every hand or no? Some one give me a pf chart for manic play and we'll see how long it takes me to lose $25. I'll stay at the table 2 orbits or until I've lost it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do this as well tonight, should be interesting

shadow29 06-21-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do this as well tonight, should be interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Definetly do it. Hella fun.

Up 12 BBs in 4 hands or so.

My first hand at the table:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 6d 9c (one pair, sixes).
MP3 has Ks Qd (one pair, kings).
CO has 9s Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins 8.75 BB. </font>

F.

kapw7 06-21-2005 03:19 PM

Mercantides? What does this mean?

Mercantides 06-21-2005 03:25 PM

He's a character in a book by Jack Vance. When I was creating an online poker account I just grabbed the book and kept trying names until I found an original one. Now I use it on all accounts and forums since I've never seen anyone else use it.

Edit: I just googled it and the only results were to posts I've made in online forums or my delicious account. Upon closer inspection it might not be such a good idea to use the same name in more than one place.

KingOtter 06-21-2005 03:29 PM

Doh... dang work came up and I missed it... sigh...

KO

shadow29 06-21-2005 03:33 PM

Aight. Played 2 orbits, up $5.63.

I had a modified LAG style. I check/raised once, and I did slow down once or twice when I had zero folding equity, zero showdown value, and it was very clear that I was beat. But still up 5.63 BBs in 20 hands is not bad.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (22.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (17.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

BB has 9s 9d (two pair, nines and fives).
UTG has Qc Qd (two pair, queens and fives).
Hero has Ah 5c (three of a kind, fives).
Button has Tc Js (one pair, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.25 BB. </font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (10.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Hero has 2c Kh (flush, ace high).
Button has Ks Ad (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.75 BB. </font>

My final hand:
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Hero has 5c 6s (one pair, sixes).
MP3 has 7s 7h (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: MP3 wins 10 BB. </font>

Lots of fun, too bad no one went on tilt, however. At least not in the chat box. I'll do it again tonight, possibly. Depending on how well 2/4 is going. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

kapw7 06-21-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a character in a book by Jack Vance. When I was creating an online poker account I just grabbed the book and kept trying names until I found an original one. Now I use it on all accounts and forums since I've never seen anyone else use it.

Edit: I just googled it and the only results were to posts I've made in online forums or my delicious account. Upon closer inspection it might not be such a good idea to use the same name in more than one place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack Vance? Anyway. I like it. It's very greek-latin as well. I also did a google search. And read your embarassing posts. (Just joking [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

JordanIB 06-21-2005 03:41 PM

One thing I'll occasionally see is somebody sits down at a table, and proceeds to play like a maniac for about 10 hands or so. After showing down a winning 96o or T2s once or twice, they will revert to half-way decent micro play.

I thought that was an interesting technique as well, although it's quite easy to note to transition back into "normal" play.

Mercantides 06-21-2005 04:27 PM

Jack Vance is one of my favourite SF/Fantasy writers. He's often cited for his excellent use of vocabulary. The book I was referencing was Cugel the Clever. It details the adventures of a Cugel, a man who thinks he is a lot smarter than he is. Very funny stuff. Even if you're not into the genre I would recommend it.

Seriously, when my post regarding engagement rings showed up my heart skipped a beat. Then I remembered that my girlfriend only uses computers to check her hotmail account.

kapw7 06-21-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It details the adventures of a Cugel, a man who thinks he is a lot smarter than he is. Very funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very interesting! 2+2 is full of Cugels

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, when my post regarding engagement rings showed up my heart skipped a beat. Then I remembered that my girlfriend only uses computers to check her hotmail account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that post as well. I hope it doesn't make me like your girlfriend.

No offense on my poor sarcasm and poor English.

Mercantides

-ides means "the son of (or descendent of)". Like: "Kronides" is the son of "Kronus" or "Atreides" (like Achiles) is the son of "Atreus".

"Mercant" is latin I guess. Merchant? Well it's your turn now.

UATrewqaz 06-21-2005 05:11 PM

I have seen someone playing like this once as well. Would bet/raise every hand, never checked or called, the only exception was on the river when I guess he knew for 100% he was beaten.

He managed to stay pretty even for awhile but inevitably took some big losses.

bottomset 06-22-2005 01:07 AM

this is too fun, the players are horrid, cold call 3bets with 27o, flop nothing, catch running 7's to take the pot

sadly i couldn't catch much, and lost a little before giving up, to go play some 2/4 which i've really put off this month

Mercantides 06-22-2005 09:02 AM

You are correct. Mercantides was indeed a merchant, probably the son of one as well.

WordWhiz 06-22-2005 03:27 PM

Ran into someone doing this on PP the other day. She got caught in the cookie jar on the 2nd or 3rd hand when someone called her all the way down to the river and she had to show her unimproved Q5o. Nonetheless, she kept doing it and showing a profit for another orbit. I figured the best strategy was to call her preflop w/ any halfway decent hand, then raise and reraise like crazy if I connected on the flop, but fold if I didn't. First time I missed the flop completely and folded right away. Next time, with K9s, flop came 932. She bets, I raise, she reraises, I cap. K on the turn, which she probably thought was a scare card. Sorry lady! Betting capped again. She bets on the river, I raise, and with nearly 20BB in the pot, she folds rather than paying one more bet. She must have really had nothing! She left the table after that hand, still showing a small profit (but not from me!). The rest of the table was very happy to see her leave.