Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   so i see johnny chan yesterday night at the bellagio walking back (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274027)

SCfuji 06-16-2005 04:18 AM

so i see johnny chan yesterday night at the bellagio walking back

to the poker room and ask for his autograph. i have the deck of cards and a pen out in my hand i just dont have the cards out of the box. he tells me "hurry up-", not "hurry up!!", just "hurry up-". i want to throw the deck of cards in his face but give him the pen and hold out a card for him to sign. i later throw away the card in my hotel room because i think he is a piece of chit.

questions?

Dariel86 06-16-2005 04:20 AM

Re: so i see johnny chan yesterday night at the bellagio walking back

[ QUOTE ]
questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

toss 06-16-2005 04:21 AM

Think about it, he probably gets this all the time and it should be really busy for poker players around this time. Its not like he totally ignored you. I'm sure you kept the card too.

Notorious G.O.B. 06-16-2005 04:22 AM

What do you want, he signed your card, you want him to be your buddy, too? He's busy.

SCfuji 06-16-2005 04:23 AM

dont respond to my posts anymore

SoftcoreRevolt 06-16-2005 04:24 AM

Every second he's wasting time with you is a second he could be winning another 30 WSOP pearl necklaces.

SCfuji 06-16-2005 04:31 AM

notorious,

no harm meant. just wanted to make a point, i guess. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

TStoneMBD 06-16-2005 04:37 AM

i guess his comment is rude, but i also think its rude to be asking for his autograph. most people assume that famous people want attention but most sign autographs because if they told you that they didnt want to it makes them look bad. youre probably bothering chan by pestering him with something so silly so you have to understand where hes coming from. its not like he wants to sign your damn card, hes pretty much obligated to.

[censored] 06-16-2005 05:32 AM

the dude who got owned by mike mcdermitt?

Evan 06-16-2005 05:51 AM

You're almost retarded.

speirs 06-16-2005 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i want to throw the deck of cards in his face

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that would be fun

henrikrh 06-16-2005 06:41 AM

He should be throwing the cards in your face, you can't possibly realise how annoying constantly being asked to sign autographs must be. Besides, getting autographs seems so incongruous with the nature of poker. Pros are really not much different to amateurs, especially relative to other "sports", where fame is the results of a lifetime dedication, training and steroids.

Also why waste his time if you are gonna throw the card away just for a small thing like this.

Klepton 06-16-2005 06:42 AM

i think id rather have a picture with the guy then have him sign a card, how lame is that?

Reef 06-16-2005 07:18 AM

Probably coulda got $30 or so on Ebay.

jason_t 06-16-2005 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I've never understood the value of autographs. Why do people jizz themselves over them?

TylerD 06-16-2005 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess his comment is rude, but i also think its rude to be asking for his autograph. most people assume that famous people want attention but most sign autographs because if they told you that they didnt want to it makes them look bad. youre probably bothering chan by pestering him with something so silly so you have to understand where hes coming from. its not like he wants to sign your damn card, hes pretty much obligated to.

[/ QUOTE ]

danzasmack 06-16-2005 09:02 AM

also, you assume he is just walking to the poker room to just go play. what if he has to meet someone? What if he is late for something already? If he said to you "no way man, i don't have time for that bs" then you could be mad, but the fact of the matter is jonny chan has tourists every day saying "ill reraise" hoping he'll lay it down and respond "did you have it?"

I'm sure if you caught him at the right time he'd be a nice guy. Next time give him an orange.

einbert 06-16-2005 09:17 AM

Do you think having people ask for your autograph constantly when you are trying to get things done is something he enjoys?

phish 06-16-2005 09:58 AM

Asking for autographs is such a pathetic thing to do. Why didn't you offer to give him a bj while you were at it?

evil_twin 06-16-2005 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're almost retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

sfer 06-16-2005 10:34 AM

I like my privacy. I guess he likes his privacy too.

Alobar 06-16-2005 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. Hes prolly signed 70 autographs that day, and is tired or whatever, and then here comes OP bumbling up with a deck of cards. Who knows what sate chan was in, maybe he just dropped 200BB at the poker table, maybe hes got to take a piss. Maybe hes just annoyed at yet another person whos bugging him. If you wanna use this 10 second exchange to make a snap judgement about who he really is as a person, well, thats pretty dumb. The only person who comes off as an ass in this story is the OP, IMO

flair1239 06-16-2005 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to the poker room and ask for his autograph. i have the deck of cards and a pen out in my hand i just dont have the cards out of the box. he tells me "hurry up-", not "hurry up!!", just "hurry up-". i want to throw the deck of cards in his face but give him the pen and hold out a card for him to sign. i later throw away the card in my hotel room because i think he is a piece of chit.

questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are under 16 years old, asking for autographs is pretty borderline. If you were asking for it for a kid, that would be fine.

But I assume you are over 21. So why would you want to look at another grown mans signature?

spydog 06-16-2005 10:57 AM

After seeing the OP get blasted for asking for an autograph, I guess I won't be telling anyone about my Barry Manilow autograph.

Victor 06-16-2005 11:31 AM

why did you want his autograph?

xenthebrain 06-16-2005 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he tells me "hurry up-", not "hurry up!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get the difference....

MaxPower 06-16-2005 12:12 PM

I don't understand the whole autograph thing, but if you are going to ask someone for an autograph at least make it easy and quick for them. If you are not prepared with a pen and something to write on, don't ask.

pokerstudAA 06-16-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanna use this 10 second exchange to make a snap judgement about who he really is as a person, well, thats pretty dumb. The only person who comes off as an ass in this story is the OP, IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Ulysses 06-16-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he tells me "hurry up-", not "hurry up!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get the difference....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to hear the difference between these two things.

seabass74 06-16-2005 01:14 PM

I've had a totally different experience approaching Johnny @ bellagio in years past... two times he's signed for me even after getting beat out of like 100k. the hi limit section was full and he was playing HU NL something at the table just by the stairs while I was playing 8/16 O8 with our chairs back to back... this guy driving thru to CA in a suit must have had the deck hit him in the face.

ChicagoTroy 06-16-2005 01:17 PM

I think the former is a blunt command while the later could be interpreted as a friendly exhortation. But I don't know.

Neither is the point. The point is Johnny Chan obviously OWES him and should dump the attitude. The f*ck he think he is.

CallMeIshmael 06-16-2005 01:24 PM

Stick it in his pooper.

starsconspire 06-16-2005 02:29 PM

why would you want johnny chan's autograph?

otnemem 06-16-2005 02:44 PM

Were you asking him to sign this card, by any chance?

http://img205.echo.cx/img205/6687/johnchan9xo.jpg

Because if I were him, I probably wouldn't be excited about signing it either...

Nato76 06-16-2005 02:54 PM

He looks cool.

EStreet20 06-16-2005 03:16 PM

He\'s a professional...

... and he's at work, and you're holding him up. Would you expect Donald Trump to be completely nice and polite to you if you asked for his autograph on the way to a board meeting? No celebrity who makes a living for him/herself owes fans anything, thus you should be thankful he signed at all.

Take care,
Matt

Dave Mac 06-16-2005 03:32 PM

you guys are retarded

first for the record I think getting poker players signatures is questionable at best, they get way too much attention already. But, you guys are being ridiculous this guy asked Chan for a signature and he was a dick about it and the guy gets pissed. Then you say he is retarded and ream him for even asking for a signature. That is stupid. It should go with out saying that Chan or any other pseudo celebrity will be a decent person and not a total dick. And if anyone, famous or otherwise, is that big of a douche he should get cards thrown in his face. No level of stardom or ego gives anyone the right to treat other people like [censored]. I can’t believe everyone would defend his attitude.
Dave

lucas9000 06-16-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're almost retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChicagoTroy 06-16-2005 04:10 PM

Wrong

Chan, like everybody, has the right not to be at his best all the time. I get cranky at work, I'm sure he does, too. The difference is if you or I get short with somebody at work or in private life, it doesn't go up on the Internet about what assholes we are.

This is particularly true since the poster is an adult asking for a freaking autograph, a very trivial request to start occupying somebody's time who may be running late. What the hell is that.

See somebody you admire? Do them a favor. Leave them be.

dealer_toe 06-16-2005 04:13 PM

Re: you guys are retarded

I hate how everyone thinks other people should be their best friend like the world owes them something. Chan doesn't know this guy, and the OP isn't owed any kind of friendliness from Chan. An athlete being rude to a paying ticket holder that pays his salary is a different story. Put Chan in the same category as any other person walking down the street, you'll get it.