Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265318)

twang 06-03-2005 06:33 PM

Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie?

The category is contemporary mainstream movies that are supposed to be smart, edgy and artsy. Which one is most overrated? My pick is The Matrix (but Donnie Darko is close).

/twang

James Boston 06-03-2005 06:39 PM

Re: Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie?

American Beauty

trying2learn 06-03-2005 06:39 PM

anything by david lynch.

VBM 06-03-2005 06:40 PM

i think david mamet has a tendency to fall in love too much w/ his own dialogue...

Jules22 06-03-2005 06:43 PM

Ghost World.

recommended only for high school drama queens.

thatpfunk 06-03-2005 06:44 PM

Donnie Darko then Garden State.

gumpzilla 06-03-2005 06:48 PM

I wouldn't even put The Matrix anywhere close to this category in the first place, so yeah, if you think it's supposed to be smart and artsy, then it would be a good choice.

The Charlie Kaufman movies I've seen (Adaptation and Being John Malkovich) I really wanted to like much more than I did. I can appreciate that both are very clever without necessarily getting all that much out of them. They were both okay, but kind of overhyped for my taste.

hoopsie44 06-03-2005 06:52 PM

Resevoir Dogs - pure, unadulterated crap.

miajag81 06-03-2005 06:52 PM

I have a feeling I am going to be severely flamed for this, but...

The Usual Suspects

bukkrukk 06-03-2005 06:53 PM

Memento

Chris Daddy Cool 06-03-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donnie Darko then Garden State.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't like donnie darko (though i thought some parts were good) but i loved garden state.

Los Feliz Slim 06-03-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Charlie Kaufman movies I've seen (Adaptation and Being John Malkovich) I really wanted to like much more than I did. I can appreciate that both are very clever without necessarily getting all that much out of them. They were both okay, but kind of overhyped for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost walked out of Eternal Sunshine, and continue to believe it's crap. That's my vote. God, that movie was annoying.

twang 06-03-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even put The Matrix anywhere close to this category in the first place, so yeah, if you think it's supposed to be smart and artsy, then it would be a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think The Matrix, along with Fight Club, are the blueprints for these kind of movies. I liked Fight Club though. I agree 100% about the Kaufman movies.

/twang

pryor15 06-03-2005 06:59 PM

The Matrix, clearly

mmbt0ne 06-03-2005 06:59 PM

I hate Fight Club. Mostly just because of how many people love it though, and how 98% of them misinterpret the ending.

gumpzilla 06-03-2005 07:00 PM

Fight Club is actually another one I thought of that I don't like anywhere near as much as some as soon as I posted. I hate hate hate the ending and felt it didn't fit in with the movie at all. I frequently have that response to twist endings in movies where they don't seem to belong - the end of Unbreakable really annoyed me as well when I saw it.

miajag81 06-03-2005 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate Fight Club. Mostly just because of how many people love it though, and how 98% of them misinterpret the ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of us dumb enough to like it, could you explain the ending?

mason55 06-03-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anything by david lynch.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're clearly wrong.

Reef 06-03-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Memento

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree. This movie was awesome

twang 06-03-2005 07:08 PM

Can Amelie from Montmartre be considered mainstream? If so, I'll change my runner-up to that one because Donnie Darko had some parts that were ok and Amelie from Montmartre is one of the few movies I never finished. Awful.

/twang

gumpzilla 06-03-2005 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can Amelie from Montmartre be considered mainstream?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It can also be considered awesome. I heartily disagree with you on this one, though I can see how this is a love it or hate it kind of movie.

rmarotti 06-03-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think david mamet has a tendency to fall in love too much w/ his own dialogue...

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAAH! This is so true. I rented "Spartan" the other day because I thought "Oh! Something by Mamet that I haven't seen."
The dialogue was so [censored] self-conscious that the movie was almost unwatchable.

Reef 06-03-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fight club is one of my favorites. Found this link interesting

miajag81 06-03-2005 07:14 PM

Completely agree. I enjoyed Amelie, but I can see why people might hate it.

BruinEric 06-03-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
American Beauty

[/ QUOTE ]

XM Radio has a "soundtracks" music channel. They were playing American Beauty tunes and in between had snippets of dialogue. One of these interludes was the soliloquy by the "rebel teen" about the beauty in the plastic bag floating around.

For some reason I didn't change the channel until 2/3 the way thru and had to choke down water to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth.

WillMagic 06-03-2005 08:29 PM

The Graduate.

Supposedly people thought this movie was great in the 60's...but they were wrong.

The whole time I was watching the movie I wanted to smack Dustin Hoffman upside the head.

Will

shant 06-03-2005 08:30 PM

Whichever movie that a bunch of people like that I didn't particularly enjoy or see the point in.

pshreck 06-03-2005 08:30 PM

This is Eternal Sunshine, hands down.

Mars357 06-03-2005 08:34 PM

Does Vanilla Sky fit into this catagory? If so, I vote Vanilla Sky....

Mars

mmbt0ne 06-03-2005 08:39 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reef's link is good. I'll pose the same question that I think astroglide did in an earlier thread about Fight Club, "Who won in the end?"

2+2ers seem smarter than the average bear, so you probably understand it, but the vast majority don't.

The Stranger 06-03-2005 08:59 PM

Tyler won I suppose. I never really thought about it in those terms. Tyler wanted Norton's character to learn how to live on the edge a little more, and to take some risks in his life. And in the end Norton's character shoots himself, not sure what is going to happen. The "Tyler" part of him died, but he went through the transformation through which Tyler wanted him to go.

WillMagic 06-03-2005 09:00 PM

What's with all the Eternal Sunshine bashing? I thought it was one of the best films of last year. Cool, unique plot structure, great acting, great dialogue, funny as hell at times...what's not to like?

Will

shant 06-03-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's with all the Eternal Sunshine bashing? I thought it was one of the best films of last year. Cool, unique plot structure, great acting, great dialogue, funny as hell at times...what's not to like?

Will

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, excellent movie. I think Kauffman is genius. Just chalk it up to differences of opinion.

contentless 06-03-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tyler won I suppose. I never really thought about it in those terms. Tyler wanted Norton's character to learn how to live on the edge a little more, and to take some risks in his life. And in the end Norton's character shoots himself, not sure what is going to happen. The "Tyler" part of him died, but he went through the transformation through which Tyler wanted him to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another scenario where book &gt; movie.

The time of Fight Club is about the only time in history where nihilism and anarchism aren't passe.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 09:19 PM

eternal sunshine.

ozyman 06-03-2005 09:19 PM

Vanilla Sky is up there. I disliked Million Dollar Baby as well.

Duke 06-03-2005 09:21 PM

The Usual Suspects.

~D

Anders_G 06-03-2005 09:22 PM

Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels ought to be the most overrated movie ever. Maybe it's not a supposed-to-be-smart movie but it's still a big sac of crap that everyone mistakes for a masterpiece.

Other candidates include:
Adaptaion
American History X
The Gladiator
Braveheart

How come noone has mentioned Rounders?

Voltron87 06-03-2005 09:24 PM

how are lock stock, gladiator, and braveheart "supposed to be smart" movies?

lock stock is also awesome.

Anders_G 06-03-2005 09:38 PM

I always heard people say that they thought lock stock was smart and thought-through and whatnot. I missed their point. Admittedly though, it's not very artsy.

And you're totally right about the others, they're just overrated, not supposed-to-be-smart

EDIT: I don't think Amelie is supposed-to-be-smart either.