Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Has anyone tried using a feminine user name? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244261)

grjr 05-02-2005 04:29 PM

Has anyone tried using a feminine user name?

Since I like to tweak your noodles here I thought I throw this out for discussion. In the past month at Party .50/1 I have started playing some using a feminine name. I have played 7600 hands and have won 7.5BB/100. In the same 7600 hand timeframe my nondescript user name has won at 5.2BB/100.

I did have a big winning session on the feminine name (which I immediately donked back off the next day) so that could have skewed the results seeing that it's a small sample so far.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried a feminine user name and what the results were. It seems to me a lot of the other players won't take you as seriously and may call down more hands(whether consciously or subconsciously).

Discuss.

MrWookie47 05-02-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Has anyone tried using a feminine user name?

I'll take this opportunity to chime in and be that guy who mentions sample size with respect to win rates.

2+2 Junkie 05-02-2005 04:33 PM

I have tried it, but like you only for a small sample. However, I did notice that a lot more people called me down with whatever. Of course, this caused a great deal of variance. I like chumps calling me down, but sometimes it is nice to fold some people up occasionally. I left the name, but at the time, I was a bad poker player. I am more able to deal with the fish now, and might try it again.

droolie 05-02-2005 04:39 PM

My wife has a couple accounts and I think it's probably +EV to play under them. Not many female players are maniacs so when you play very aggressively I think you are more likely to be given respect. Not by much but every little bit of edge helps. It is weird though. You get a lot of guys messing with in the chatbox you when you play as a female. They'll either hit on you or get really crude and try to degrade you. It brings a weird vibe to the table that can be annoying if you're not in the mood for it.

joeski19 05-02-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I like to tweak your noodles here I thought I throw this out for discussion. In the past month at Party .50/1 I have started playing some using a feminine name. I have played 7600 hands and have won 7.5BB/100. In the same 7600 hand timeframe my nondescript user name has won at 5.2BB/100.

I did have a big winning session on the feminine name (which I immediately donked back off the next day) so that could have skewed the results seeing that it's a small sample so far.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried a feminine user name and what the results were. It seems to me a lot of the other players won't take you as seriously and may call down more hands(whether consciously or subconsciously).

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that you HotAmy19 ? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

aK13 05-02-2005 04:46 PM

I played about 1000 hands using my mom's account (since I wasn't eligible for Instant Bankroll, so she signed up for me =D), and I didn't really notice any difference. But just to throw this out there, using a fake name (i.e. a female name when your name isn't) is illegal and can get your money frozen, right?

grjr 05-02-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried it, but like you only for a small sample. However, I did notice that a lot more people called me down with whatever. Of course, this caused a great deal of variance. I like chumps calling me down, but sometimes it is nice to fold some people up occasionally. I left the name, but at the time, I was a bad poker player. I am more able to deal with the fish now, and might try it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you mention variance. Here are the two graphs for this timeperiod.

This is the feminine name:
http://home.satx.rr.com/alphadeals/GeorgeneGraph.jpg

This is the nondecript name:
http://home.satx.rr.com/alphadeals/GrjrGraph.jpg

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out with more hands involved.

grjr 05-02-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played about 1000 hands using my mom's account (since I wasn't eligible for Instant Bankroll, so she signed up for me =D), and I didn't really notice any difference. But just to throw this out there, using a fake name (i.e. a female name when your name isn't) is illegal and can get your money frozen, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The name on the account is legit. It's just the player name that is feminine. You can have any player name you want, right?

aK13 05-02-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The name on the account is legit. It's just the player name that is feminine. You can have any player name you want, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I was assuming your table icon was feminine...?

BAK 05-02-2005 05:14 PM

All my accounts are female (as am I), so I cannot speak to the question of differing results.

But I can say that there are a lot of sad and lonely (or just sick!) men playing poker online - especially on Party! It is a rare ring game session that I don't get hit on and it is not unusual for me to have to turn off chat on a guy because it is too much. And explaining that they are looking at a cartoon character doesn't seem to help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

droolie 05-02-2005 05:15 PM

So are you free for drinks later?

j/k

grjr 05-02-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I was assuming your table icon was feminine...?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I never realized the table characters changed due to the gender selected. I have the characters turned off when I play because they are distracting.

Actually, the feminine account I'm playing on is my wife's so the gender is female (promise you won't tell Party).

grjr 05-02-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you free for drinks later?

j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'm reasonable.

grjr 05-02-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All my accounts are female (as am I), so I cannot speak to the question of differing results.

But I can say that there are a lot of sad and lonely (or just sick!) men playing poker online - especially on Party! It is a rare ring game session that I don't get hit on and it is not unusual for me to have to turn off chat on a guy because it is too much. And explaining that they are looking at a cartoon character doesn't seem to help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's name is Georgene so I don't get hit on as much because they think that's an old lady's name (she's not). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yobz 05-02-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey baby, how's it goin? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

gasoltub 05-02-2005 05:26 PM

I have some names that implies that I am crazy about raising, some that says I'm a girl that likes to gamble, and some that give the impression that I am somebodys mother [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
They are not all on partyskins so it's difficult to compare the results, besides from the fact that I would get brutally beaten by the sample size police if I tried.

Anyway, so far I've had most success with the mother account, and it seems like it's more difficult to fold out opponents with the "crazy about raising" account. So it seems like people (at least the fish) actually take screen names into account.

aK13 05-02-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some names that implies that I am crazy about raising, some that says I'm a girl that likes to gamble, and some that give the impression that I am somebodys mother [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
They are not all on partyskins so it's difficult to compare the results, besides from the fact that I would get brutally beaten by the sample size police if I tried.

Anyway, so far I've had most success with the mother account, and it seems like it's more difficult to fold out opponents with the "crazy about raising" account. So it seems like people (at least the fish) actually take screen names into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a funny incident. I was sitting at a table, I folded, and the pot ended up being HU with guy named 72raiser, and he capped every street against the other player. 72raiser turns over AA, and other guy mucks. Made me laugh =).

mlb3zr 05-02-2005 06:30 PM

My accounts are mostly girly names/characters because, well, I'm a girl. And I love it. You boys just never think I might actually know the first thing about poker. And that means I get to take advantage of you ruthlessly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The drawback is playing against the strange and scary people, but hey, that's why the "chat off" feature exists.

Wetdog 05-02-2005 11:18 PM

I think this says it all.

http://www.unitedpokerforum.com/foru...howtopic=24788

GrunchCan 05-02-2005 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like grjr?

I can't believe this thread has been alive all day and I'm the first to say this.

TomBrooks 05-03-2005 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
explaining that they are looking at a cartoon character doesn't seem to help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is weird that some guys would associate you with the toon in the seat. But if they knew what you really looked like from your avatar, they'd probably be hitting on you anyway.

bottomset 05-03-2005 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like grjr?

I can't believe this thread has been alive all day and I'm the first to say this.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha

this post is simply to see damage from losing my OC

DavidC 05-03-2005 05:25 AM

If you're playing live, you might find that an entire sex-change is +EV.

Doesn't mean I'd do it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DavidC 05-03-2005 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife has a couple accounts and I think it's probably +EV to play under them. Not many female players are maniacs so when you play very aggressively I think you are more likely to be given respect. Not by much but every little bit of edge helps. It is weird though. You get a lot of guys messing with in the chatbox you when you play as a female. They'll either hit on you or get really crude and try to degrade you. It brings a weird vibe to the table that can be annoying if you're not in the mood for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

turn the chat off... I'm on perma-mute now...

Sometimes if something weird is happening at a table, I'll listen in on the chat to see what's going on, but then turn it off again.

DavidC 05-03-2005 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatar is sexy. Would you like to be my internet girlfriend?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry.

Edit: After seeing Droolie's response... I'd just like to request that grjr doesn't take me up on the offer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

lionhorse 05-03-2005 05:36 AM

I don't see how this could affect your success in the game too much, unless you were flirting with the players. A difference of 2BB isn't that significant over 7000 hands either.

grjr 05-03-2005 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how well it worked for the man with the $100,000 breasts.

DavidC 05-03-2005 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how well it worked for the man with the $100,000 breasts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't that guy look a little like Bill Gates?

I don't watch too much t.v. so I don't know too much about this.

DavidC 05-03-2005 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how this could affect your success in the game too much, unless you were flirting with the players. A difference of 2BB isn't that significant over 7000 hands either.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and flirting with players rather than watching the game has to be -EV too.

istewart 05-03-2005 07:04 AM

On Stars I had Alizee as my avatar for quite awhile and I would get guys saying how beautiful my eyes were, and folding their blinds to me because I was beautiful, lmao.

Dave G. 05-03-2005 07:52 AM

If I were playing live and there were a cute asian chick playing with me, I'd sacrifice a bit of EV in order to flirt with her. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But online? Meh, I dunno about anyone else but the party avatars don't really do it for me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]