Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243959)

Karak567 05-02-2005 04:52 AM

How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

How much cash in straight losses did you sink into SNGs (or other types of poker for that matter) before you became a winning player?

DasLeben 05-02-2005 04:53 AM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a wi

I dunno, but I'm still working on my HU game. I'm the only player in the world with a 40% ITM showing a net loss. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

/pityme

pergesu 05-02-2005 04:58 AM

100 bucks, so just ten buyins. I don't think that counts.

tomdemaine 05-02-2005 04:58 AM

I put $10 into VC poker two years ago, cashed it out a week later and I've been up and playing off my profits ever since. However I still suck and after a long time in the wilderness I have found my way to party where after a brief and profitable time at the 11's I have an awe insiring -0.5% ROI at the 20's though I've only been playing them 20 days and have only clocked a measly 180 so who knows what my real numbers are??

Sykes 05-02-2005 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, but I'm still working on my HU game. I'm the only player in the world with a 40% ITM showing a net loss. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

/pityme

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go all-in every hand.

DasLeben 05-02-2005 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/pityme

[/ QUOTE ]
Just go all-in every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! Maybe variance hates me. My sample size is small, afterall.

pergesu 05-02-2005 05:03 AM

That's basically what he does.

Dumbass.

DasLeben 05-02-2005 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's basically what he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you do too. You're just a...what's the term...a luckbox? Yeah, that's it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mr_J 05-02-2005 05:10 AM

None. I read the guide here before playing and would've been break even at worst. I've always been in the black with poker (yes I won my first sng [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

raptor517 05-02-2005 05:12 AM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

umm.. zero dollars? ive always been +ev in sngs. so many terrible people. if you have any sense at all you can beat the 55s. holla

pergesu 05-02-2005 05:13 AM

That was my nickname at all the Seattle clubs. Luckbox. They called me Kid too, holla

Apathy 05-02-2005 05:16 AM

A long long time ago... I won a 500 person freeroll on a little site called jetset, and $75 bucks with it. I ran that up to around 2k fairly quickly and then went broke playing 3-6NL and 100 dollar HU tournaments. Then I learned what a BR was and how to manage it, improved my game, deposited some money on party, cleared some bonus, cashed out the deposit amount and away I went.

DasLeben 05-02-2005 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my nickname at all the Seattle clubs. Luckbox. They called me Kid too, holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how that's not true. I sat there across from you live and watched you get aces and kings constantly for the first couple hours while I blinded down. Asshat.

pergesu 05-02-2005 05:25 AM

That's the Pat Maddox way to play. Get aces and win, holla

Blarg 05-02-2005 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I put $10 into VC poker two years ago, cashed it out a week later and I've been up and playing off my profits ever since. However I still suck and after a long time in the wilderness I have found my way to party where after a brief and profitable time at the 11's I have an awe insiring -0.5% ROI at the 20's though I've only been playing them 20 days and have only clocked a measly 180 so who knows what my real numbers are??

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go right to the 20's and skip the lower ones?

Blarg 05-02-2005 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm.. zero dollars? ive always been +ev in sngs. so many terrible people. if you have any sense at all you can beat the 55s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowledgeable and/or smart people define sense differently than the ignorant or not quite so smart, is the only problem. I agree that a knowledgeable and/or smart person would have to be foolish not to be a winner, though at what particular level I couldn't say because I have all of a month's experience in SNG's.

Which I hope is more tied into my being ignorant than dumb. I'm working on the one of those that I am capable of working on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And am turning a profit at my lowly 11's so far.

Blarg 05-02-2005 07:02 AM

I was down upwards of $150 when I started last month at the 5's. Then I switched to the 10's and made that back and a good bit more. I've only been playing these things for a month, so my sample size is ridiculous as to days, but I have gotten in almost 400 10+1's. My stats could be better, but I'm in the black and they seem to be rising slowly and steadily, which is all I could really ask for at this early point. I'm hoping my next 500 is much better than this 500, since it won't have the figures mixed in it from when I just started.

Scuba Chuck 05-02-2005 11:06 AM

Well, if you're asking this questioin, I can assume you're worried about losing money. Therefore, you need to learn to become a bonus whore.

FWIW, after I found this site, I lost $zero$. Before this site, Scuba was a huge fish. Luckily, I lost little of my own money.

Freudian 05-02-2005 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much cash in straight losses did you sink into SNGs (or other types of poker for that matter) before you became a winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

None. I won right away. But I have had 30-40 buyin drops a few times. Always ended up winning it back and more though.

vindikation 05-02-2005 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically lost $1000 my first 6 months playing online poker. After playing 11 months now, I've won $2200 so I am up $1200. I cashed out my initial $1000 and only play online now with my profit.

My play has gotten better, but biggest thing that killed me was playing outside of my bankroll. Now I'm sticking to 50 buy-ins (and will drop a level if I crash and burn) so hopefully I will never have to redeposit again.

willie 05-02-2005 11:35 AM

around 400 bucks, 50 at a time for buyins.

i needed to learn to tighten up, since then i've been alright.

Misfire 05-02-2005 11:41 AM

I started at the play tables until I could consistently beat those. Then I dropped $25 into UB and started with the $.01/.02 limit tables. I think I lost $3 my first two days, but got it back very quickly. I also got some free money on party and was winning consistently at the $.50/1.00 tables. After about a month I cashed out my initial deposit plus another $25, and still had about $150 left. I've been playing on profits ever since.

As far as SNG's, I rarely played them and usually lost until I started reading here. Since I found 2+2 and started tracking my play, I've been in the black since game 7. I'm not making a ton of money, but more importantly I'm not losing any.

Edit: I've also decided that I will never deposit again. If I'm irresponsible enough (or suck bad enough) to lose every penny I have in BR, I'll play freerolls until I win some back.

reubenf 05-02-2005 11:47 AM

I won money before I became a winning player.

Sam T. 05-02-2005 11:57 AM

Never been in the red.

I started playing .50/$1.00 ring games, but before I even created an account on Party, I read Sklansky and Jones many times, and lurked here until my eye-balls bled.

Built up my bank roll at ring games (50% of profits go to my wife), then made the transition to SnGs, just becasue they are less mechanical. I tried my hand at MTTs, but found them to be too time-consuming, and frustrating. When you can only play a few hours per week, a $25 pay-out after five hours is pretty depressing. So I'm back here for now.

Sam

Pokerscott 05-02-2005 12:58 PM

None.

Won at the 20s right away and moved to 50s and 100s in a week or so. I had a mentor who was a solid winner at the 100s and that helped tremedously.

Pokerscott

Degen 05-02-2005 01:21 PM

not much, maybe a couple hundred at most

but i lost probably 15k playing live limit before i found NL

Andre

Degen 05-02-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started at the play tables until I could consistently beat those

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Thats so funny. I didn't want to every admit that but now I will. I used to be a massive fish and whenever i'd bust out and not have any money, I'd 3-table (you coudn't four table then) the play money NL SNG's. It didn't take long to realize that i should fold for the first two rounds and then i'd be 4-handed and could play some hands. i learned the basics of how to win for free.

Andre

SuitedSixes 05-02-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that I am still here when you take your first bite of the reality burrito (stuffed with insanity peppers).

The Yugoslavian 05-02-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that I am still here when you take your first bite of the reality burrito (stuffed with insanity peppers).

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm, reality burrito.

Yugoslav
Who rode a heater after first depositing $$ to play online...

Apathy 05-02-2005 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yugoslav
Who rode a heater after first depositing $$ to play online...

[/ QUOTE ]

The reverse cashout curse (a.k.a. "The 'silent' deposit bonus") in full effect.

Slim Pickens 05-02-2005 01:59 PM

September 2004: $210 into 2/4, $50 more at 0.5/1, $100 at NL SnG's
October 2004: another $50 at 0.5/1, somehow made +$300 playing limit SnG's
November 2004: reality hits, lose $450 playing SnG's like a fish, get within $100 of busting my original $500 bankroll.
December 2004: find 2+2, pull head out of butt, haven't had a losing month since

Slim

Newt_Buggs 05-02-2005 02:34 PM

same as almost everyone else- I deposted $50 into party poker and, beginning with the 10s then moving up, built it into several thousand.

I find it interesting that almost everyone here started off winning. Given that variation is so strong it would seem like 30-50% of us would have started off losing. I bet that the only reason we are in SNGs is because we didn't start off cold. There are probably many players that are or would have been very good at SnGs that started off in a cold streak and stoped playing because they got discouraged. If I had lost the original $50 i put into Party Poker (very easy to do) I probably would have never come back simply because I was starting out and didn't realize the high variance involved.

The Yugoslavian 05-02-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I find it interesting that almost everyone here started off winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't.

2+2 is a self selecting % of the poker playing community. Most are experiencing the lighter side of variance for long, extended periods of time. I'd actually expect most posters to have ridden heaters early on in their poker career at some point.

What's interesting is that very few posters realize they are riding heaters and/or on an extended run of good variance. Players who don't experience these things don't find their way to 2+2....they quit.

Yugoslav

Pokerscott 05-02-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least almost everyone here willing to post on this thread

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pokerscott

Slim Pickens 05-02-2005 02:49 PM

I am proud of my initial losing period. Wear your downswings like scars. Chicks dig scars.

Freudian 05-02-2005 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't start off playing SnG. So I had my growing pains playing ring tables.

GtrHtr 05-02-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
September 2004: $210 into 2/4, $50 more at 0.5/1, $100 at NL SnG's
October 2004: another $50 at 0.5/1, somehow made +$300 playing limit SnG's
November 2004: reality hits, lose $450 playing SnG's like a fish, get within $100 of busting my original $500 bankroll.
December 2004: find 2+2, pull head out of butt, haven't had a losing month since

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the honest reply Slim. I don't feel so bad but then again, my pockets aren't as deep.

I got schooled at limit losing half my BR my first several months. Found SnG and made it all back in like a week with what I call the beginners run (doesn't it seem like all new SnG players have a run??). Began losing in the SnG arena, found 2+2 and leveled off. Still not back to my original $ level and have been card dead for like 3 weeks. Still at 1/2 my original BR and moving back to Limit for a while while the SnG gods sort themselves out. No sample size but never had a losing session in limit the past 4 days after going back to the books and studying a lot. I have no idea what is going on with my SnG game.

ThorGoT 05-02-2005 03:09 PM

(1) Lost $1000 playing various games.
(2) Won $3500 playing SNGs, mostly $50 & $100 games, over about 2 weeks.
(3) Lost $3415 playing SNGs. Give or take a few dollars.
(4) Won some money.
(5) Stopped playing.

Misfire 05-02-2005 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't start off playing SnG. So I had my growing pains playing ring tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started off pretty much break-even in ring games, which eventually started winning, but not without a few up and down bumps. For SNG's I was losing pretty stinkin' bad (and thus avoiding them for the most part) until a few months ago when a friend of mine (a very good MTT player) showed me some of his strategies that he had also been applying with fairly good success to STTs. That led me to give SNG's another shot and to start reading this forum. Since then I've been winning more consistently than I ever did in the ring games.

barry111 05-02-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
around 400 bucks, 50 at a time for buyins.

i needed to learn to tighten up, since then i've been alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO