Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A New Quiz! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=239868)

mmbt0ne 04-26-2005 05:54 AM

A New Quiz!

The preflop edition

This will be conducted Festus style, so be sure to check back and see the results.

Hand 1

MP3 - Unknown
CO - Too tight, aggressive
Button - LA-P
Blinds - Unknown, seem loose-passive

Folded to you in MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hand 2

2 LAGs and some fish and a solid playe round out the action behind you

Folded to you in MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Hand 3

58/6.5 limps UTG, as do a LP fish, a LAG, and a semi-loose calling station

You have Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button.

Hand 4

Same LAG, and calling station from previous hand limp to you in the CO. The blinds are a tight player, and a moran.

You have J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hand 5

Decent player and 69/3 Fish limp in EP, the same blinds are behind you as in hand 4.

You're in the CO again with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] this time.

Hand 6

Super Loose EP, is joined by his LP twin. Button has been bullying you a little, and the SB and BB are a little loose and a good player respectively.

CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hand 7

A 36/9 with seemingly no deep understanding of position open-raises in MP1. Cold-called by a horribly loose player in the SB.

You have 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB

Hand 8

UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] This is more of a breakdown than a play. How often do you raise, how often do you call. Don't fold.

Kumubou 04-26-2005 06:33 AM

Re: A New Quiz!

Bring the white-out!

Hand 1: <font color="white">Fold. This hand needs lots of players to be worthwhile, and you have zero limpers right now.</font>

Hand 2: <font color="white">Raise to open and hope one of the LAGs three-bets to get this heads up. If the fish three-bet you, you are probably in trouble. Normally you would want to be closer to the button before pulling this stunt, but two things: the LAGs make this much more likely to get this heads up, and open-limping blows.</font>

Hand 3: <font color="white">Limp. Marginal hand, but with the best position and four limpers plus the blinds means that you will get paid if you hit, and you lose little if you whiff. Time for a little speculation.</font>

Hand 4: <font color="white">To me, this is a very marginal limp. Marginal high card and connectness, but with the LAG and calling station in tow, you will get paid if you hit the flop well. Use some flop magic to river a flush (you don't want to flop it, lest give the chance for other players to use their black magic to river a higher one-card flush).</font>

Hand 5: <font color="white">I dump this. Same marginal hand, but the player mix isn't as good. The solid player limping in EP is what concerns me, you are probably already behind to either an unsuited broadway (except AK and maybe AQ and maybe even KQ; I raise KQo UTG for what that's worth) or a mid-low PP (99-22). Also, if you do hit your flop he won't pay you off nearly as much.</font>

Hand 6: <font color="white">My initial thoughts were to raise -- I don't know how successful you will be trying to isolate two players, but odds are your hand is better than what the previous limpers have, and you have position. I wonder if the button will retalatite to this 'play' against him, though -- him 3-betting is almost certain to get the blinds out.</font>

Hand 7: <font color="white">Fold. Odds are MP3 is not on a blind steal and has a quality hand. The SB cold-calling only makes defending worth even less, as now you are up against a decent hand and a random hand, plus you are out of position. Hell, I wouldn't want to defend with this hand even if I was alone -- this hand sucks.</font>

Hand 8: <font color="white">Depends on the table texture. The looser the table is, the more inclined I am to get this multiway and limp. If the table is tight, I'm more inclined to raise and hope to get this heads up. I am more inclined to limp -- this is the kind of hand that has a small pre-flop edge versus random hands, but can change drastically with the flop.</font>

toss 04-26-2005 06:36 AM

Hand 1: I'd raise. Theres a good chance it'll be just you and the blinds. And its good to play against LAPs in position.

Hand 2: Easy raise.

Hand 3: I think were giving up too much by folding. The limpers will pay you off should you hit a hand. I would call here, but its a definite raise with QTs.

Hand 4: I'm too weak to play this, but I'm sure other can make this into a long run +EV situation.

Hand 5: Not sure.

Hand 6: Raise it up. Should button 3-bet the super loosies will probably come along to pad the pot.

Hand 7: Fold. I would call with another limper.

Hand 8: I raise like, all the time.

Jacob_Gilliam 04-26-2005 06:45 AM

Hand 1: fold
2: fold
3: call
4: fold
5: fold
6: call
7: fold
8: raise in super loose game, call otherwise

Nick Royale 04-26-2005 07:01 AM

1. Fold
2. Fold, this the boarderline where I start to raise, but I'm less inclined to raise when there's 2 LAGs to act.
3. Limp
4. Fold (close to a limp)
5. Fold (close to a limp)
6. Raise
7. Fold
8. Raise, almost every time

martinimagic 04-26-2005 07:33 AM

1) Fold
2) Call
3) Call
4) Raise
5) Fold
6) Fold
7) Fold
8) Raise 50%, Call 50%

Alright, how stupid am I? I am trying to be more aggressive, but I still play a lot of hands weakly by calling and even folding some worth calling.

KaiShin 04-26-2005 09:01 AM

1. Raise.

I think its close, but I want to play this hand, and I have something against openlimping in MP.

2. Raise.

If one of the LAGs raises behind me and knocks everyone else out, so much the better.

3. Call.

I've come to love QT/KT.

4. Call.

I'd fold with J7s, J8s is borderline but with at least 4 seeing the flop, possibly 6, I think we can give it a spin here.

5. Call.

I think my VPIP is 100 so far.

6. Raise.

I'd like to try and get a 3-way pot here, plus the button, so I like a raise.

7. Fold.

Wow I folded something.

8. I raise 75% of the time, limp 25% of the time.

Russ McGinley 04-26-2005 09:15 AM

1. Fold. I want to play this multi-way with position. I might raise in the CO or button, though.

2. Raise. I definitely want the good player out of my way and if I get HU or 3-handed with some LAGs, fine.

3. Call. This is a pretty easy limp on the button. Raising would be a good option if it were sooted.

4. Call. Fairly standard.

5. Call. Not much difference between this hand and hand #4.

6. Fold. I don't want to get raised by the button and have to play this junk OOP for two bets. If someone is raising you in position all the time you need to tighten up and stop limping with KTo and other trash/problem hands, or move seats/change tables. Raising is okay to win the button but if he 3-bets, I hate myself.

7. Fold. There is no reason to play this hand.

8. Raise somewhere around 70-75% of the time.

k000k 04-26-2005 09:29 AM

Hand 1
MP3 - Unknown
Button - LA-P
Folded to you in MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

There aren't a lot of players left to act behind you.. CO will probably fold. Ideally you'd want to limp and have everyone else limp, blinds complete/check. Button is LA, if he raises you'll be HU with a great drawing hand. Easy fold.

Hand 2
Folded to you in MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I don't like AT, I might raise it, but I don't like the loosies behind me. I'll be OOP against a LAG and multiple fish when they likely call. Unless it gets down to just me and the blinds. I fold.

Hand 3
You have Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button.

I'd be the 5th limper, the SB probably completes getting 13:1, BB probably won't raise.. For 6:1 I'll limp in and see a flop..

Hand 4
Same LAG, and calling station from previous hand limp to you in the CO. The blinds are a tight player, and a moran.
You have J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Fold.. Even if I pair up, it probably won't be enough to pull this one down. I don't value the fact that they're suited since it's a 2-gapper..

Hand 5
Decent player and 69/3 Fish limp in EP, the same blinds are behind you as in hand 4.
You're in the CO again with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] this time.

Fold, same reasons as hand 4.

Hand 6
Super Loose EP, is joined by his LP twin. Button has been bullying you a little, and the SB and BB are a little loose and a good player respectively.
CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

2 loosies limped so far? If I think I can buy the button I might raise this one. If EP/LP are really just random hands, I have a good chance of beating em.

Hand 7
A 36/9 with seemingly no deep understanding of position open-raises in MP1. Cold-called by a horribly loose player in the SB.
You have 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB

36/9 is raising about the right amount of hands, so I'll give him credit for an actual raise-worthy hand, ie 99-AA, KQ, AJ-AK. ONLY the sb calls?? So I'm getting 5:1 with suited garbage, OOP against the raiser? No thanks, Fold..

Hand 8
UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] This is more of a breakdown than a play. How often do you raise, how often do you call. Don't fold.

I raise that appx. 100% of the time. Hopefully I can get trashy aces to fold. KJ are high enough to win a good chunk of the time when they pair up, if I isolate and 1-2 villains to the flop, I have great pair value. If the table is loose, then I have good drawing value. As long as nobody 3bets, I'll be happy raising KJs every time. If someone does, I better get a draw or I'm probably out.

McGahee 04-26-2005 09:35 AM

Wow I guess I need to loosen up. I might limp hands 3 &amp; 4 and muck everything else, except for KJs of course.

MrWookie47 04-26-2005 09:50 AM

Hand 1 - I'd probably fold, but I might raise.

Hand 2 - raise

Hand 3 - limp

Hand 4 - limp

Hand 5 - limp, but I might fold

Hand 6 - raise

Hand 7 - getting 5:1 against morans is tempting. You'll flop a flush draw or two pair about 13% of the time, and the chance of trips makes that a little bit better. If you hit, can you make up a few SB? I think so. I call.

Edit: Forgot hand 8. I raise every time in good games, and about 50/50 in tougher games.

@bsolute_luck 04-26-2005 10:00 AM

First: isn't it funny how people view and play different hands? Poker is so fun [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i had some difficulty doing this quiz because i waffle between answers. i'll try to pick one, but on some i'll list 2 before giving a final answer. but i may go back and forth depending because i do better playing according to reads when in game instead of reading them...anyways, on with the quiz!

Hand 1 Folded to you in MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Raise or Fold. Raise because i think enough will call to make the hand worth it and I hate open-limping most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hand 2 Folded to you in MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Raise or Fold. Raise to hopefully thin the field via the LAGs 3-betting

Hand 3 4 limpers. You have Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button.

Fold. I get in trouble when my Q pairs and it gets expensive, but with discipline and position on the hand, i could let it go if it misses. So i can limp too.

Hand 4 Possible 5-handed. You have J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Limp. straight and flush possibles. easy hand to get away from if flop goes sour in IMHO.

Hand 5 You're in the CO again with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] this time.

Limp.

Hand 6 CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Raise or Fold. I raise if I can thin the field. If I think the players behind me would all call, I'll fold.

Hand 7 2-handed. You have 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB

Fold. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Hand 8

umm...a lot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 80%/20% i guess.

sungod 04-26-2005 10:26 AM

#1: Doesn't seem like you get to get both multiway action and to see the flop for one bet. So I'll fold.

#2: I raise.

#3: I would normally just call this, but here raising seems like a good thing to when looking at the opponents.

#4: I fold.

#5: Limp

#6: Limp

#7: Fold

#8: Really depends on the other players and what I feel for. UTG I've mostly limped, but I aim for raising more preflop and this is one of the hands I'll probably raise more often.

jnh24 04-26-2005 10:52 AM

Hand 1: Limp
Hand 2: Fold. I'd raise from MP3.
Hand 3: Limp
Hand 4: Fold. I may call if I'm tilting
Hand 5: Limp, occasionaly pop it.
Hand 6: Fold
Hand 7: Call
Hand 8: Im about 50-50 raise-limp

Wetdog 04-26-2005 11:27 AM

1) Limp in, call CO raise, fold if it's 3-bet. I want to see a flop cheaply with this.

2) Raise. Not a hand I want to go multi-way with.

3) Limp, put pillows in back pocket, prepare to get ass kicked.

4) Fold. I'm not going to a gunfight with only a dull knife.

5) Fold.

6) Raise. I'm not afraid of bullies, but I'll deal with the BB if he calls, or if Button raises and BB calls 2.

7) Fold. I don't care what MP1 has. See #4.

8) I'm about 1/2 and half on this UTG. It depends on my reads of LPs.

zuluking 04-26-2005 11:31 AM

These are so much fun. Again, I haven't looked ahead.

1-Fold
2-Raise
3-Call
4-Fold
5-Fold
6-Call
7-Fold
8-Raise it all the time.

How'd I do?

btspider 04-26-2005 11:42 AM

hand 1: fold

hand 2: fold.. close to a raise, but the players are a bit too loose and aggro.

hand 3: limp

hand 4: limp if i have good implied odds with these opponents. i'd prefer J9s here.

hand 5: limp with a tight image, fold if my image is currently too loose. depends what i think i can accomplish postflop vs these guys.

hand 6: raise if the button will fold consistently. BB being tight helps.

hand 7: fold, you need connectedness to call.

hand 8: similar to 99.. varies by image and table.. say 50/50 or 67/33 for raise fold. at 1/2+ i'm more inclined to raise than at .50/1.00.

meep_42 04-26-2005 12:20 PM

F, L, L, L, F, L, F, L

I never raise KJs UTG.

-d

tiltaholic 04-26-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1
MP3 - Unknown
Button - LA-P

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2

[/ QUOTE ]
meh. i'd fold. i don't like ATo

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend towards just folding this. Fewer limpers, and I raise if I can knock out the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 4

[/ QUOTE ]
I am torn between limping and folding. I tend toward folding. J9s I limp, so its clsoe.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 5

[/ QUOTE ]
I fold.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 6

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 7

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold with a vengence.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 8

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe 50/50, maybe 70/30 towards raising. I like KJs.

itsmesteve 04-26-2005 12:44 PM

Hand 1. Ideally you'd like to play this multi way, but limping may cause you to pay multiple bets due to the aggressive players behind you. If you're playing, I'd raise, but i might just muck this depending on my mood, image, etc.
Hand 2. Again, Raise or Fold. I'd lean much more likely to raise and hope only the fish call, which is probably a leak.
3. Call, too unlikely to fold out weak opponenets post flop if checked to you, since they (like goldfish) forget what happened 10 seconds ago and don't equate you with a preflop raise. Plus, at that point the pot will most likely be quite large and people will be sticking around.
4. I guess a call isn't too bad here. Don't think I'd raise, would muck a fair amount of time as well.
5. I'd probably just do the opposite of the last hand. Either calling or raising. I can see sprinkling in some raises, but don't think its my default.
6. Raise it and hope to fold the blinds and button, at least hopefully the button.
7. Call all day against these clowns.
8. How often I call and how often I raise really depends on the texture of the game. I'd guesstimate something like 50/50 as a default. At a table where everyone is calling regardless, I'd raise much less often. If my UTG raises are respected, I'd raise a bit more. I'd hate to get something like 2 callers behind me if i raise, an sb fold, and a bb complete though.

edit: looks like i'm the only clown calling suited rags OOP against ( what I read to be) crummy players. oh well . . . .
nice post though, by the way.

AlmightyJay 04-26-2005 01:19 PM

Hand 1 - Fold
Hand 2 - Fold
Hand 3 - Call
Hand 4 - Call
Hand 5 - Call
Hand 6 - Fold
Hand 7 - Fold
Hand 8 - I would never raise this UTG

DavidC 04-26-2005 01:52 PM

Taking a shot at this... wish me luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1. Call: CO won't put up a fight, the passives in the blinds could pay you off later and won't raise you now. The button is the major concern here, as you'd prefer to get in here for 1 bet, but there's probably going to be like 20% chance of button calling and 20% chance of raising, so you should be alright.

If opposition was a little weaker or tighter, I may be tempted to raise.

2. Raise: Hopefully the TAG doesn't have a pair, because it's relatively easy to see when he makes his straights / flushes. You've got some players in here who will make a huge pot with you (and lose) if you make top pair. The sooner the TAG drops, the better.

3. Fold.

4. Call: You seem to be suggesting a raise here? I'm not sure. Definitely not a fold though. I'm a little uncomfortable with raising, particularly when the LAG may re-raise you just for fun.

5. Fold: Decent players limping in EP and few limpers = NOT GOOD. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

6. Fold.

7. Call: 5:1 and I'm in there with suited cards. I'm hoping he has AA rather than AKs my suit. This relies entirely on whether or not I think that the MP guy will pay me when I hit the flush. If not, I fold, because pairing is not an option here.

8. I almost never raise, but I should if I'm in a game with a bunch of loose passives, and no one that scares the hell out of me. However, if I call, it's raised in mp, and there's a ton of limpers, I'll re-raise and cap / whatever I can do to make the pot bigger.

(Edit: next time #8 gets it's own thread.)

mmbt0ne 04-26-2005 01:57 PM

Current Tally

As of DavidC's response

Hand 1: 14 folds/3 limps/4 raises

Hand 2: 8 folds/2 limps/11 raises

Hand 3: 3 folds/17 limps/1 raise

Hand 4: 9 folds/11 limps/1 raise

Hand 5: 11 folds/9 limps/1 Not Sure (BOOOOOOOO)

Hand 6: 6 folds/4 limps/11 raises

Hand 7: 17 folds/4 calls

Hand 8: Everything from never raise KJs UTG, to always raise KJs UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And yeah, hand 8 probably does deserve it's own thread at some point. It's a good one!

DavidC 04-26-2005 02:19 PM

Re: Current Tally

Thanks for the current tally.

This is a good thread, for sure! I look forward to the results. :&gt;)

SteveM 04-26-2005 02:19 PM

1) Fold
2) Raise
3) Limp
4) Fold
5) Fold
6) Limp (usually)
7) Fold
8) Call against good opponents, Raise against bad ones.

Disconnected 04-26-2005 06:01 PM

Hand 1: Limp. Figuring I'll get 2 or 3 others at least, and figure post-flop will be pretty easy to figure out whether to continue.

Hand 2: Limping again, pretty cautious with this hand if the solid player comes in, though.

Hand 3: Limping. Not enough equity to raise, no one who already called will leave.

Hand 4: Fold.

Hand 5: Fold again.

Hand 6: I want one raise in the quiz. I'll take my chance here, try to buy the button, and also push BB out of the hand.

Hand 7: Fold.

Hand 8: I hate this hand, lately. Historically, I have called far more than raised. I think though that if there were solid players behind me, I would start to raise this more, and if the solid players either call or re-raise, be pretty careful. One of my big problems is not recognizing post-flop when I'm dominated/second best (until after the last bet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), so this is the sort of hand I'm playing too tentatively.

Ric 04-26-2005 06:57 PM

1. Fold. If the button were tighter, raise.

2. Raise.

3. Limp.

4. Fold, but I'd limp J9s.

5. Call. I love the one-gappers.

6. Call.

7. Fold.

8. I'd call most of the time. I'd raise if the table's been tight lately. That probably puts it around 75 call/25 raise.

Entity 04-26-2005 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
F, L, L, L, F, L, F, L

I never raise KJs UTG.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise it close to 100% of the time UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ErrantNight 04-26-2005 07:03 PM

can i just point out that the correct answers involve a helluva lot more raising, and a helluva lot less limping and folding?

Entity 04-26-2005 07:17 PM

1) Depends on my image and how “LA” Button is, but usually I’ll fold this.
2) Raise 75% / fold 25%.
3) Limp. I think raising this is pretty bad.
4) Limp 75% / fold 25%. Depends on how LAG lag can be postflop, and who button is.
5) Limp 80% / fold 20%. Depends on table image and what good player allows me to get away with postflop.
6) Raise 80% / fold 20%. Depends on how often Button will allow me to steal position.
7) Fold. 85s is a call, 84s is close. 83s is a fold.
8) Raise 90-95%, limp 5-10%.

ErrantNight 04-26-2005 07:18 PM

i think most of you are crazy. most surprising responses were those of btspider and entity...

hand 1: raise. unknowns are typically huge fans of cold-calling, and the CO is out. i've got a reasonable chance to buy the button, and if i don't, i'm up against a bunch of loose players that will be easy to play against after the flop. i can get out easily, i can bet/raise for value easily, they'll call me too much and pay me off... a limp would be fine if the CO were unknown or also loose, because there would STILL be a good chance that i'm getting my multi-way pot even open limping from so late in the game.

edited to add: a limp may still be fine, regardless. i may be overestimating by ability to buy position from MP2. i still think i prefer a raise.

hand 2: raise it up. closer than some, if only because the potential of postflop being tricky is greater than in most of these scenarios. but ATo is +ev against the range of hands these fish will play, and raising will make it the rest of the hand easier to play

hand 3: limp. you have position, but not enough preflop equity to push a raise.

hand 4: raise. you've got a calling station trapped between yourself and a lag, who you can outplay, there's a decent chance you'll get this threeway, or fourway with two terrible players, folding is too weak against this field, and you want position.

hand 4 edited to remove: easy. upon reflection, having this more multiway wouldn't be terrible, and i don't have much showdown value against a calling station. limping might be preferable.

hand 5: limp. you're getting at least four-way action with decent position, and a 5th player isn't a stretch once there's three limpers heading into the button. your hand plays well multi-way, but raising is too strong for this holding, particularly since you need strong implied odds to make this playable.

hand 6: raise sometimes, fold sometimes, call never. there are better spots to play back at a bully, and if the uber-loose sb comes along the good player will come along with a huge range of holdings. so all depends on the bully. if he's the kinda bully to push back until beaten and sometimes 3-bet, fold. if he'll let you buy the button, raise. if you're unsure, flip a coin. if you're still a serious newb, fold, postflop could be tricky, and KTo is an easily dominated hand that's easy to blow money on.

hand 7: call. you're getting 1:5. both are too loose. the hand is easy to get away from postflop. i don't mind folding here, fwiw.

hand 8: totally table dependent. but my default is raise. i'd say 80/20 in favor of a raise. maybe more. i'm having trouble thinking of table conditions where i'd rather call. perhaps with a maniac and at least one solid player on a generally loose table where my raise will accomplish nothing and the solid player will have better position to take advantage of the pot i'm building.

Entity 04-26-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can i just point out that the correct answers involve a helluva lot more raising, and a helluva lot less limping and folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're raising far too many of these far too often. I hate blind stealing from MP2 with 9-high with a LAG trapped in between who has position on you and two loose opponents. Your hand is going to have to showdown too often to like a raise here.

I feel the same way about raising with J8s against a calling station. If he were more likely to fold because of your raise, I can dig it. But not with that lineup.

Shillx 04-26-2005 07:29 PM

1 - Fold.
2 - Raise.
3 - Call.
4 - Call.
5 - Call.
6 - Raise or fold. Certainly not calling here.
7 - Fold.
8 - Raise 99% and never call. I would fold it at a tough table.

Brad

btspider 04-26-2005 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 8: similar to 99.. varies by image and table.. say 50/50 or 67/33 for raise fold. at 1/2+ i'm more inclined to raise than at .50/1.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

egregious typo.. raise/fold should be raise/limp obviously at the micro limits.

Shillx 04-26-2005 07:34 PM

I never raise KJs UTG.

It would be interesting to see what is better (limping or rasing).

ErrantNight 04-26-2005 07:44 PM

i wrote up a reasonably lengthy response justifying both raises... but ultimately came to the conclusion that i'm not as sold on raising as I first thought I was... not enough to think raising couldn't be correct, but not enough to dismiss limping.

ErrantNight 04-26-2005 07:44 PM

either this or whether or not to raise KQs UTG was discussed at length back in the day.

the summary conclusion: it really doesn't matter much.

Emmitt2222 04-26-2005 08:00 PM

Ent, what are your reasons for varying your play at the micros where it is most likely that no one is paying any attention to what you are doing? I would think that picking the most +EV play and going with it each and every time would be the best plan of action unless I am at a slightly more observant table where I need to vary a bit more. your thoughts?

Entity 04-26-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ent, what are your reasons for varying your play at the micros where it is most likely that no one is paying any attention to what you are doing? I would think that picking the most +EV play and going with it each and every time would be the best plan of action unless I am at a slightly more observant table where I need to vary a bit more. your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Emmitt,

Say I've raised 8 of the last 10 hands. I'm much less likely to raise KTo in #6 then, because I'm much more likely to get played back at. Even unobservant opponents notice things.

Also, since concrete reads weren't provided ("solid player limps, bad player limps, you have 97s"), I have to say that there are some solid/bad combos where I'd fold but most I'd limp. It's not mixing up my play as much as it is saying that there are some game conditions where I'd fold and some where I'd limp/raise.

Rob

mmbt0ne 04-27-2005 07:43 AM

Final Tally, What I Did, What I Should\'ve Done

Hand 1: 18 folds/4 limps/5 raises
Hand 2: 8 folds/3 limps/16 raises
Hand 3: 3 folds/23 limps/1 raise
Hand 4: 12 folds/13 limps/2 raise
Hand 5: 13 folds/13 limps/1 Not Sure (BOOOOOOOO)
Hand 6: 6 folds/6 limps/15 raises
Hand 7: 22 folds/5 calls
Hand 8: Everything from never raise KJs UTG, to always raise KJs UTG with more raising it seems than calling. Thankfully there's no folding involved.

I did the following:

Hand 1

MP3 - Unknown
BUtton - LA-P

I RAISED (Doesn't seem too popular, but I don't mind it)

Hand 2

I FOLDED (Probably weak. I raise this from MP2 most of the time, and almost automatically from MP3)

Hand 3

I FOLDED (Very weak. I should've limped, this one bothered me the most.)

Hand 4

I FOLDED

Hand 5

Decent player and 69/3 Fishlimp in EP, the same blinds are behind you as in hand 4.

I CALLED (Why I folded J8s, but called 97s, I don't know.)

Hand 6

I FOLDED (This is me the weak-tighty. Hello)

Hand 7

I FOLDED (Glad this was so clear cut. I hated the flop [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Hand 8

I CALLED (Probably the first time I've ever limped KJs UTG. It was a weird feeling.)