Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Party rake ridiculous (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=239706)

Benman 04-26-2005 12:38 AM

Party rake ridiculous

I've been playing on Poker Stars exclusively for the past 6 months. Recently I played some on Party to check it out. Bottom line, here's what Poker Tracker says the rake is for each site as a % of the total pot at the $.50/1.00 game:

Stars: 2.94%
Party: 4.64%

How can this be? This is a huge difference, that simply must swallow up any advantage that Party may offer in terms of easier games.

It boils down to the fact that Party now (I think this is recent) takes a whopping $.50 at $5.00, while Stars doesn't reach $.50 until $10.

BusterStacks 04-26-2005 12:39 AM

Re: Party rake ridiculous

Hey. Shut up.

SinSixer 04-26-2005 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ] wtf is the point of posting something like this. Don't you have anything better to do?

playersare 04-26-2005 12:41 AM

if you only play on party when there is a bonus running, then you'll still come out ahead in the end.

scott8 04-26-2005 12:45 AM

My rake is the same for both sites.
Of course I play 15/30. . .

Pokeraddict 04-26-2005 01:08 AM

It is actually higher then 4.64% in your PT because the Party Poker pot size includes uncalled bets so if the pot is $10 and you bet $2 and everyone folds it will say pot was $12, where any other room except Dobrosofts (that I know of) does not include the uncalled bet in the pot size.

You just have to decide whether you like a better game and a higher rake or a tighter game and a lower rake.

mbpoker 04-26-2005 01:28 AM

I doubt there is any real difference between the .50/1.00 games at Party and Stars. Stars is frequently over 40k players now - can't all be rocks.

Perseus 04-26-2005 02:05 AM

I think that stars is harder at small stakes because there is microlimits of .02/.04, whereas party's smallest real money is .5/1.

Therefor the fish play as low as they can until they get better.

mmbt0ne 04-26-2005 02:14 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf is the point of posting something like this. Don't you have anything better to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is the point of posting something like this. Don't you have anything better to do?

sumdumguy 04-26-2005 02:36 AM

Yes. The 1/2-1 game on Party is exceptionally difficult to beat.. better left to the middle limit pros.

Rudbaeck 04-26-2005 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is actually higher then 4.64% in your PT because the Party Poker pot size includes uncalled bets

[/ QUOTE ]

The uncalled bet gets included in the pot size, but it isn't actually raked. It's easy to see when your bet takes the pot over 20/40/60.

Brainwalter 04-26-2005 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BusterStacks 04-26-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Shut up.

mcozzy1 04-26-2005 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
40k players now

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea Stars had gotten this big

sumdumguy 04-26-2005 04:47 AM

That's because it isn't that big. The 40K includes all the play money players. Even comparing real money games, Stars real money stats includes the micro-micro-limits.

For every play money player, Party has twice as many real money players than Stars. Extrapolating, Stars would need to hit 140K players to host as many real money games as Party.

gasoltub 04-26-2005 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. The 1/2-1 game on Party is exceptionally difficult to beat.. better left to the middle limit pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sarcasm detector broke yesterday so I have no reading on your statement. But it was a joke, right?

Rah 04-26-2005 08:28 AM

He does have a valid point. The extra rake will kill your winrate unless the game is really soft, and 1/2 on Party are hardly the best games around.

flub 04-26-2005 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ] wtf is the point of posting something like this. Don't you have anything better to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is...

+1

LSUfan1 04-26-2005 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You people must know this is counter-productive. Couldn't you find a better way to spend your time. There are many good poker books out there. I could recommend a few if you need!

Hung 04-26-2005 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You people must know this is counter-productive. Couldn't you find a better way to spend your time. There are many good poker books out there. I could recommend a few if you need!

[/ QUOTE ]

these replies make me dizzy. it's like looking into a spiral.

CountDuckula 04-26-2005 10:48 AM

This just in! Franco is still dead! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, we've discussed Party's rake a lot in here. It's pretty high, but the consensus is that the vast quantity of soft games compensates for the rake.

-Mike

Isura 04-26-2005 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3BB/100 is still possible, and I'm no middle limit pro. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rockfish 04-26-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pyramid

[/ QUOTE ] Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sumdumguy 04-26-2005 04:00 PM

Yes. It was meant as a joke because there are so many good Party 1/2-1 games. But as Rah said, it also contains some truth. I think it likely that a Party 1/2-1 game with avg pot $5.00 is more difficult to beat than the top 60% (by pot size) of Party 15/30 games - because of the punishing rake structure. I believe my line of thinking is consistent with the discussion of rake in Poker Essays.

But as to the OP, he is wrong or there are big holes in his game. With even rudimentary game selection skill, a person is better off in the Party, rather than Stars 1/2-1 games.

Synergistic Explosions 04-26-2005 04:06 PM

You can only play Party low limit ring games while working off a bonus. Which is a shame. At least for me.

But that was their choice to double the rake as everywhere else.

LSUfan1 04-26-2005 05:04 PM

Everyone talks about the rake hike, and how hard it is to beat. You guys are failing to notice that Party has a new commercial on every other minute which is continually bringing in weak fish! These games are loose, and although the rake is high, I believe it is overcome by the number of fish!

Synergistic Explosions 04-26-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone talks about the rake hike, and how hard it is to beat. You guys are failing to notice that Party has a new commercial on every other minute which is continually bringing in weak fish! These games are loose, and although the rake is high, I believe it is overcome by the number of fish!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to pay them 20k extra per year for them to bring in new players.

I save $60 per day playing at sites with lower rakes. I just can't afford the hit Party gives me in extra rake charges.

If you can, thats cool. I just can not.

iluzion 04-26-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt there is any real difference between the .50/1.00 games at Party and Stars. Stars is frequently over 40k players now - can't all be rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my friend, must clearly have not ever played both .5/1 on stars and party. And to the guy who just said he can't afford the extra rake, my winrate on party is high enough above my winrate on any other site I've ever played that the difference in rake is not only made up for by this increase, but the profits are WAAY higher.

Beavis68 04-26-2005 06:04 PM

The thing I hate about the rake structure is that it is an action killer for me.

IF the pot is at 4.75 and we are heads-up for why [censored] bet the river? You are only getting 50c on the dollar for your bet.

Effectively though, Party's rake is equal to UB which has a much better structure. They rake in smaller 5% incremements. I wish party would rake the limit games like they do NL.

Tapin 04-26-2005 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IF the pot is at 4.75 and we are heads-up for why [censored] bet the river? You are only getting 50c on the dollar for your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is meant to be hypothetical, but how about: You're up against a single weak-tight opponent, you were drawing with poor odds anyway, a scare card hits that doesn't complete your draw but you figure your opponent will lay down for a single bet for such a small pot?

Oh, wait, we're talking about Party $1/$2. Nevermind.

6471849653 04-26-2005 07:57 PM

For everyone it's about making money, not about what the rake is. There are more reported winners at Parties than there are at PokerStars. While what I have seen, you like paying more rake; you have been given many chances to pay much lower rakes, even no-rake, but you didn't like it, so I don't see anyone can complain. For historical interest the Parties rake used to be lower, but because of all bonus money (though I always lost that much extra when I was playing the bonuses - seemed like programmed) and perhaps too many players (there were less, Empire maybe, Intertops perhaps, if any skins at that time), they started to rake more when they became the number one, hitting in my book too hard to the 3-6 level that I then decided not to play.

LondonBroil 04-26-2005 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mbpoker 04-26-2005 10:27 PM

&gt;my winrate on party is high enough above my winrate on any other site I've ever played that the difference in rake is not only made up for by this increase, but the profits are WAAY higher.

Is that in .5/1.0 fixed limit games? Hard to believe. How about the following. Stars has the same number of players now as Party had about a year and a half ago. Did Party become looser over this time or tighter or the same? Also, if all sensible players play on Party how come Stars is more difficult to beat?

And lastly - when was the last time you played on Stars any length of time?