Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bonds vs. Woods (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=233169)

istewart 04-15-2005 02:51 PM

Bonds vs. Woods

This might not be even close, but I thought it was a bit interesting.

In 2040, whether you're a father, a grandfather, or other, whom are you talking to your kids about (reminiscing about) more?

Edge34 04-15-2005 02:52 PM

Re: Bonds vs. Woods

Even having Bonds in this poll is a joke.

That said, I'm talking about Tiger...right after I finish with Jordan and Montana.

scotty34 04-15-2005 02:54 PM

My dad and other older relatives always talk about the days of Nicklaus, Hogan, Sneed, Player, Palmer or whoever happened to be a star when they were growing up. I don't think once I have ever heard them reminiscing about Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle.

PokerFink 04-15-2005 02:54 PM

With regards to who is the more dominating athlete, a good argument could be made for both.

For who I will remember more fondly, that's a joke. I don't even like golf, but I still watch Tiger on sundays.

offTopic 04-15-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might not be even close, but I thought it was a bit interesting.

In 2040, whether you're a father, a grandfather, or other, whom are you talking to your kids about (reminiscing about) more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted Woods, based on the assumption that he would eventually become "the greatest golfer, ever". However, if he retires by age 35, short of Nicklaus' career major record, AND Bonds goes on a steroid-induced nine-state killing spree followed by his head enlarging in prison to a size sufficient to knock the Earth of its current axis, I would like to change my vote.*

* - ...and I'm a Giants fan.

istewart 04-15-2005 02:57 PM

Well the "reminiscing about" part was bad. It's not really about who you would remember more fondly. Just for pure entertainment/sport value. Don't turn this into a steroid debate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In that case, what about Woods vs. Jordan? Does Jordan win that easily?

wayabvpar 04-15-2005 02:59 PM

When my grandkids ask me about Bonds, they will get an introduction into 'adult language'.

tdarko 04-15-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My dad and other older relatives always talk about the days of Nicklaus, Hogan, Sneed, Player, Palmer or whoever happened to be a star when they were growing up. I don't think once I have ever heard them reminiscing about Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is dependant on who your father is. i never heard of Nicklaus, Hogan, Sneed, Player, Palmer from my father but i did hear stories about mantle, jim palmer, brooks robinson (he was a big oriole fan) etc.

this poll is like asking, "what sport do you like better, baseball or golf?" with that said i will be talking about of them because they are both dominant.

istewart 04-15-2005 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"what sport do you like better, baseball or golf?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good chunk of it, but what Woods has done for golf changes it a bit.

BWebb 04-15-2005 03:02 PM

I voted Bonds. I know Woods will be the runaway winner here, but I'll go Bonds. 35 years from now, baseball will still be America's pasttime and will have the richest history of all sports (do to media, statistics, documenations, etc.). In addition, Bonds (love him, hate him, whatever) has done the most amazing things I have or will ever see on the baseball field. Time has treated other "unliked" superstars well (Cobb, Williams, Maris, etc.). I think the same will be said for Bonds.

PokerFink 04-15-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"what sport do you like better, baseball or golf?"

[/ QUOTE ]

To an extent, but I'm a big baseball fan and I don't like golf very much (playing or watching) but I still voted Tiger.

EDIT
[ QUOTE ]
Time has treated other "unliked" superstars well (Cobb, Williams, Maris, etc.). I think the same will be said for Bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY good point. And Bonds is arguably better than all of them, Bonds vs Williams is a good argument.

InchoateHand 04-15-2005 03:09 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come up with better things than either of these to bore my grandchildren with. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

istewart 04-15-2005 03:10 PM

Don't post the [censored] Jessica Biel picture again, lol.

HDPM 04-15-2005 03:14 PM

Woods and its not close.

tdarko 04-15-2005 03:14 PM

i didn't vote b/c i need another option, one that allows me to choose "i will talk about both."

no doubt tiger is the michael jordan of his sport...but so is bonds. i know that this will piss people off and thats fine. yes even if he says today, "i have used steroids for the last 4 years so eat me." he would still be the most dominant player in the game and he has changed the way the game is played when he is in there. only ruth has done this.

another argument is that no matter the steroid use you cannot change what he has done, he still had to do it. there are plenty of players i could name that used steroids his entire career and i doubt you would even know who they are.

i respect tiger more obviously but as a fan of sports and accomplishments i will have to talk about both. i might mention about how hot tiger's wife is too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

mcb 04-15-2005 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about Tiger...right after I finish with Jordan and Montana.

[/ QUOTE ]

InchoateHand 04-15-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't post the [censored] Jessica Biel picture again, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you brought up the discussion of "Wood". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sponger15SB 04-15-2005 03:18 PM

I anticipate still hating Barry Bonds with a passion in 40 years, but its gotta be tiger.

I'll start out by showing him his chip on the 16th

scotty34 04-15-2005 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I anticipate still hating Barry Bonds with a passion in 40 years, but its gotta be tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before that chip, I never thought it was possible to jump up, cheer, and yell while watching golf.

tdarko 04-15-2005 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before that chip, I never thought it was possible to jump up, cheer, and yell while watching golf.

[/ QUOTE ]
yup, first time i went nuts watching golf.

adamstewart 04-15-2005 03:24 PM

Tiger...not even close.

trotski 04-15-2005 03:25 PM

is it possible to hate them both equally? I'll be telling my grandkids about Brett Favre.

nolanfan34 04-15-2005 03:28 PM

I voted for Tiger.

The bottom line is, while Bonds will end up with great "counting" stats, few of those were really that memorable. I can remember his mammoth HR he hit off of Percival in the WS, but what else stands out?

Tiger on the other hand, has the advantage that golf provides a ton of easily memorable moments. The lore surrounding things like Watson's chip in on 17, etc, are easy to re-tell compared to a HR that someone hit.

Jack of Arcades 04-15-2005 03:42 PM

Both.

Jack of Arcades 04-15-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is, while Bonds will end up with great "counting" stats, few of those were really that memorable. I can remember his mammoth HR he hit off of Percival in the WS, but what else stands out?

[/ QUOTE ]

His pure dominance of the National League for 13 years stands out...

tdarko 04-15-2005 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for Tiger.

Tiger on the other hand, has the advantage that golf provides a ton of easily memorable moments. The lore surrounding things like Watson's chip in on 17, etc, are easy to re-tell compared to a HR that someone hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, tiger has more memorable moments but a non-team sport allows this opportunity better than a team sport.

think about it this way, anytime there is a pressure situation in golf its always going to be up to that individual golfer whereas in baseball barry might not be up to bat in that situation, its just that you have less chances with 8 others in the lineup.

definately not taking anything away from tiger b/c he goes down in the top 5 IMO when it comes to top pressure players ever.

InchoateHand 04-15-2005 03:48 PM

I really expected your response to be both at the same time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1/lawrence.jpg

BWebb 04-15-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still haven't seen this.

nolanfan34 04-15-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His pure dominance of the National League for 13 years stands out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and after you say that, what else do you say?

I am a fan of what Bonds has accomplished. I just can't think of many memorable moments that he's provided. This of course is different if you're from SF, saw a lot of games, etc.

tdarko 04-15-2005 03:55 PM

man i am dense, sorry for the let down...just sucked out with Queens against Aces and the guy was pissed so of course i needled him a little bit and was distracted from the threads.

oh and sorry for the XXXXX content.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-15-2005 03:56 PM

I voted Tiger Woods.That is all.

[censored] 04-15-2005 04:01 PM

I do not think Bonds will break Hank Aaron's homerun record and may not even pass Babe Ruth. You don't have many conversations about the #3 homerun hitter of all time.

Jack of Arcades 04-15-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think Bonds will break Hank Aaron's homerun record and may not even pass Babe Ruth. You don't have many conversations about the #3 homerun hitter of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you never talk about Mays, Dimmaggio, Mantle, Gehrig, Foxx, Shoeless Joe, Tris Speaker, Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby, Joe Morgan, Eddie Collins, Willie McCovey, Mike Piazza, Alex Rodriguez...

FoxwoodsFiend 04-15-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When my grandkids ask me about Bonds, they will get an introduction into 'adult language'.

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, "Barry Bonds was so [censored] sweet that any [censored] who ever talked [censored] about him were giant sacks of [censored]?" Yeah, me too.

ucfryan 04-15-2005 09:20 PM

Without a doubt Tiger Woods.

[censored] 04-15-2005 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you never talk about Mays, Dimmaggio, Mantle, Gehrig, Foxx, Shoeless Joe, Tris Speaker, Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby, Joe Morgan, Eddie Collins, Willie McCovey, Mike Piazza, Alex Rodriguez...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not never, but not often.

jesusarenque 04-15-2005 09:28 PM

Bonds

Jack of Arcades 04-15-2005 09:33 PM

Which of the following are you talking about?

Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn...

Phoenix1010 04-15-2005 10:01 PM

Ehh, I'm not a huge fan of either sport but I think sports recognition in general depends a lot on actually winning. You can't be recognized as "dominating the game" unless you're racking up championships. Tiger has been winning all of the major titles, Bonds still doesn't have a single world series ring. I think 2002 was Barry's last chance to get the everlasting recognition that Woods, Jordan, Bird, Sampras, Montana, and others enjoy. He will have the luxury of owning the homerun record for the forseeable future, but he will never reach the icon status of Tiger Woods.

-Phoenix

[censored] 04-15-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which of the following are you talking about?

Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cy Young, Nolan Ryan would be the most likely topics of converasation excluding currents events which would then include johnson, martinez etc.