Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Prop Betting Procedure Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227388)

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 09:06 PM

Prop Betting Procedure Question

Please consider the following scenario.

We have 2 people. Person A and person B. On day 1, person A and person B agree to bet on a task that person A is to complete on day 3. If person A completes the task by a specified point in time on day 3, he wins the bet. If he fails to complete the task, person B wins the bet. The bet is agreed upon.

On day 2, person A comes to person B and says he wants to cancel the bet. He cites the fact that no circumstances have changed since the time the bet was agreed on. Person B says he does not want to cancel the bet, and argues that the fact that person A now wants to cancel is a change of circumstances in itself.

Does person A have the right to cancel the bet and not pay person B any money?

Schneids 04-06-2005 09:07 PM

Re: Betting Procedure Question

Assuming the information is identical (in the case of this, it sounds like no circumstances have changed... unlike if say someone bet with Clark about UNC winning it all in the Sweet 16, then May got injured, and the person wanted to cancel while UNC was still alive), bets are cancellable.

That's why in roullette, you can modify or even remove your bet completely all the way up until the wheel starts to slow, even though technically your bet was placed.

pshreck 04-06-2005 09:10 PM

Under simple contract law, no, they cannot cancel the bet.

However, these prop bets are most likely all technically illegal, so either party can do whatever they want.

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the information is identical (in the case of this, it sounds like no circumstances have changed... unlike if say someone bet with Clark about UNC winning it all in the Sweet 16, then May got injured, and the person wanted to cancel while UNC was still alive), bets are cancellable.

That's why in roullette, you can modify or even remove your bet completely all the way up until the wheel starts to slow, even though technically your bet was placed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously prop betting is not the same as roulette. With a prop bet there are an infinite number of other factors that could be influencing Person A's desire to cancel the bet. I.E. he no longer believes he will be able to complete the task.

Ianco15 04-06-2005 09:11 PM

Once two parties agree to a bet (espically where time is important), one party cannot cancel the bet the next day without consent from the second party.

If someone pulled that with me I definitely wouldn't bet with them again.

KidPokerX 04-06-2005 09:14 PM

Re: Prop Betting Procedure Question

The answer, by law, is no. All conditions to this bet have been agreed upon by both parties, therefore person A cannot change the terms of this agreement without the (written) consent of both parties.

Of course if this was an oral contract, it becomes a little more sticky to resolve - and also cannot be changed orally (by law).

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Under simple contract law, no, they cannot cancel the bet.

However, these prop bets are most likely all technically illegal, so either party can do whatever they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume the people are friends and wish to follow gentlemenly prop betting protocol.

thatpfunk 04-06-2005 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Time was a factor in this bet though. Once a prop bet is agreed upon, its a done deal. Backing out of bets is weak.

pshreck 04-06-2005 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would assume the people are friends and wish to follow gentlemenly prop betting protocol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty clear from this board and everywhere that there is no clearly defined prop betting protocol. The reason people find so many angles is because they are playing with shaky rules.

Under the idea of an agreement or contract, backing out once the agreement is made, with no penalty, doesn't make much sense. So I would assume that under prop bet protocol, you can't get out of it unless the second party allows you to.

bicyclekick 04-06-2005 09:26 PM

I've been asked to edit my response, so I will. Backing out of a bet is very toolish.

MEbenhoe 04-06-2005 09:36 PM

whod you make this bet with? and what was the bet? these (especially the 2nd) could effect the correct answer

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whod you make this bet with? and what was the bet? these (especially the 2nd) could effect the correct answer

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was worded the way it was for the sake of anonymity. The people and involved will probably be disclosed after the poll is complete. The bet itself may or may not be, and should not matter.

TheWillMo 04-06-2005 09:54 PM

JERRY: So, when do I get my dinner?

KRAMER: There's no dinner. The bet's off. I'm not gonna do it.

JERRY: Yes. I know you're not gonna do it. That's why I bet.

KRAMER: There's no bet if I'm not doing it.

JERRY: That's the bet! That you're not doing it!

KRAMER: Yeah, well, I could do it. I don't want to do it.

JERRY: We didn't bet on if you wanted to. We bet on if it would be done.

KRAMER: And it could be done.

JERRY: Well, of course it could be done! Anything could be done! But it only is done if it's done. Show me the levels! The bet is the levels.

KRAMER: But I don't want the levels!

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JERRY: So, when do I get my dinner?

KRAMER: There's no dinner. The bet's off. I'm not gonna do it.

JERRY: Yes. I know you're not gonna do it. That's why I bet.

KRAMER: There's no bet if I'm not doing it.

JERRY: That's the bet! That you're not doing it!

KRAMER: Yeah, well, I could do it. I don't want to do it.

JERRY: We didn't bet on if you wanted to. We bet on if it would be done.

KRAMER: And it could be done.

JERRY: Well, of course it could be done! Anything could be done! But it only is done if it's done. Show me the levels! The bet is the levels.

KRAMER: But I don't want the levels!

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY NICE!

MEbenhoe 04-06-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was worded the way it was for the sake of anonymity. The people and involved will probably be disclosed after the poll is complete. The bet itself may or may not be, and should not matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post edited, cuz this whole situation is way too easy to see through, and NLSoldier didnt want me to give it away.

DBowling 04-06-2005 11:42 PM

something similar just happened to me yesterday. my brother bet me he could ride a flatbed cart down home depot without running into anything/one. I immediatly agreed. Upon realizing that there were 2 people in said eisle, he declined to make an attempt, yet he gave me the money anyway.

So yes, the bet is still on, though it depends what the change in circumstances is, i believe.

Ulysses 04-06-2005 11:48 PM

Of course he can't cancel. WTF kind of dumb question is this?

Ulysses 04-06-2005 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you smoking Schneids? Roullette? Who f'in cares about roullette?

OK, let me get this straight. In your world of betting, the following could happen:

Wednesday:

[Schneids] Yo, Diablo, I bet you $500 that the Giants are going to score over 75 runs in the baseball game on Friday.

[Diablo] Uh, yeah, I will bet they score less than 75 runs.

<Diablo and Schneids shake on it>

Thursday:

[Schneids] Yo, Diablo, you know that bet we made about the Giants game tomorrow?

[Diablo] Yeah?

[Schneids] I thought about it some more and decided I made a stupid bet, so the bet's off. "LOL"

NLSoldier 04-06-2005 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF are you smoking Schneids?

[/ QUOTE ]

bicyclekick 04-06-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Schneids likes to pull lots of bs on friends.

LondonBroil 04-07-2005 12:02 AM

So....are we making that Giants bet or not?

pshreck 04-07-2005 12:03 AM

Im glad Diablo came and really pointed out the absurdity of even asking this question. I was confused why there was any discussion on it at all.

Ulysses 04-07-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, since this is a real situation and there appears to be some dispute, let me explain exactly what the procedure is here.

Person A can offer to settle w/ Person B for some compensation in exchange for being let out of the bet. If no such agreement is reached, the bet stands.

daryn 04-07-2005 12:07 AM

it's a bet! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] J/K "LOL"

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, since this is a real situation and there appears to be some dispute, let me explain exactly what the procedure is here.

Person A can offer to settle w/ Person B for some compensation in exchange for being let out of the bet. If no such agreement is reached, the bet stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP, this is what I said as well....but *someone* else seems to think differently....

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im glad Diablo came and really pointed out the absurdity of even asking this question. I was confused why there was any discussion on it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please see BK's post.

Schneids 04-07-2005 12:23 AM

Alright, I asked to get outta the bet. Soiler said no. He offered a compromise pay off, I said eff that to his two options he gave me. He said we'll make a poll and if the results say you can get outta it then you can otherwise the bet is on. I say ok. I expect the results to say the bet is still on and I'm fine with that though if they didn't for some reason that's a bonus; especially because it really is an easy bet I expect to win. So yeah, this poll really is going to end up costing Soiler $150.

daryn 04-07-2005 12:26 AM

so why would you back out? start talking details or forever be labelled "douche".

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I asked to get outta the bet. Soiler said no. He offered a compromise pay off, I said eff that to his two options he gave me. He said we'll make a poll and if the results say you can get outta it then you can otherwise the bet is on. I say ok. I expect the results to say the bet is still on and I'm fine with that though if they didn't for some reason that's a bonus; especially because it really is an easy bet I expect to win. So yeah, this poll really is going to end up costing Soiler $150.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO, Care to share what the bet is, since its "so easy to win"

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so why would you back out? start talking details or forever be labelled "douche".

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck 04-07-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

I just pictured his grandchildren in 50 years going "Merry Christmas, you douche."

mason55 04-07-2005 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a gay masturbation bet or something?

daryn is right 04-07-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
start talking details or forever be labelled "douche".

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I'd fess up pretty quick here. You know how harsh 2+2 can be.

Good call daryn.

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:31 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Schneids 04-07-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet about asking out a certain girl in my journalism class tomorrow. A bet I wanted to back out of because
A) I wanna skip the class to work on one of three papers that are due soon that I haven't worked on enough the past day or two.
B) Realized it was a short term infatuation. So, since I'm shifty and constantly changing my mind, I wanted out.

However, I'm prepared to and very capable of going forward to earn the easiest $150 on the planet.

daryn 04-07-2005 12:33 AM

you just have to ask her out? that's it?

wow, sounds like an easy $150.

still though, no back-outs, only buy-outs.

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet about asking out a certain girl in my journalism class tomorrow. A bet I wanted to back out of because
A) I wanna skip the class to work on one of three papers that are due soon that I haven't worked on enough the past day or two.
B) Realized it was a short term infatuation. So, since I'm shifty and constantly changing my mind, I wanted out.

However, I'm prepared to and very capable of going forward to earn the easiest $150 on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one am very surprised that this just got posted....

Anyways, I'll be sure to let you guys know how I spend the money [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

nolanfan34 04-07-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say, that does sound easy.

How would NL even know that you did it?

This sounds like a bet where you could take advantage of loopholes, like ask her when she can't hear you.

NLSoldier 04-07-2005 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say, that does sound easy.

How would NL even know that you did it?

This sounds like a bet where you could take advantage of loopholes, like ask her when she can't hear you.

[/ QUOTE ]

CMON, dont give him and silly ideas!

Evan 04-07-2005 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It also makes you a douche that you turned down what I assume was the same bet with what I know is the same girl, when I offered. Lame.