Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Time for a player ban? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=226523)

Dick Danger 04-05-2005 04:15 PM

Time for a player ban?

I play at a home game that is usually made up of people that are familiar to me. Every so often someone will bring a friend and there usually isn't a problem. The max buyin is $100 so money shouldn't be a big issue, but the same guy has brought a friend twice, two different people, but he said they were both friends. The first time he brought a friend the guy went broke in less than an hour and then demanded his money back. He said if he didn't get his money back he was going to call the cops. Not wanting trouble we gave him his buyin back and told the regular that brought him to never bring him again. Now a few weeks later the same thing happens with a different friend. This time things got a bit ugly, and the host told the regular that he couldn't bring anyone else to the game. I'm not sure I get the scam if he trying to scam us, but a few us feel like its time for him to find a new game.

Thoughts?

Cin0s3 04-05-2005 04:18 PM

Re: Time for a player ban?

I want my money back? What the heck did he think he was doing there? What would he have done if he won, give everyone their money back? People like that would never be invited to play at my game again and the friend who brought them would get a talking to about recooping the money that their friends demanded back.

smoore 04-05-2005 04:53 PM

I'd say let it go and handle it just like you have... "You can't bring anyone anymore, that's lame man!" It does seem like a scam, if the horse wins, they take the money if he loses they demand it back. He can take wild chances and get his whole stack in without risk. Not a very good scam. So who ponied up the scratch to pay these llamas?

spicychili 04-05-2005 05:12 PM

I would have told him to call the cops.

I would just not let him invite anymore people.

TrailofTears 04-05-2005 06:25 PM

Good lord, that's a lot of references to four-legged mammals in one reply. You own a ranch or did you just get back from the OTB? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Trail

Mojo Tooth 04-05-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said if he didn't get his money back he was going to call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in an area where home poker is illegal? If that's the case you need to more carefully screen your participants.

If not, then you should have told the guy to go fornicate himself and call the cops. A reasonable percentage of cops play poker just like the rest of us, he would have had a hard time explaining what was noteworthy about your home game. Unless there were drugs or other contraband present, in which case, again, you should more carefully screen your participants.

In any event... If someone brings a person to a game, then that person is responsible for the conduct of the person they bring. PERIOD. If the "friend" asks for $100 worth of lost bankroll back after a bad night, then the guy that brought him needs to shut him up, or pay him out of his own pocket, or he can follow the miscreant out the door.

Slow Play Ray 04-05-2005 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy...demanded his money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a twink.

DeuceKicker 04-05-2005 07:08 PM

I have a hard time believing the cops will care one whit about a small home poker game.

I also like the notion of making the 'regular' responsible for his friend's actions. "Your buddy can give you your buy-in if he wants, but I'm calling your bluff."

Regardless, the first time a player brought a guy like that he'd no longer be able to bring friends. The second time, he's uninvited also.

iluzion 04-05-2005 10:56 PM

If the other players were seemingly ok to give him his money back, I would have told the guy if he gets his money back, he or any of his friends are never allowed to play at the game again. But I prolly would have refused to give the money back.

EStreet20 04-05-2005 11:18 PM

No way that loser's getting his money back. I would've made sure no one had weed etc, and then told him to call all the cops he wants. We don't take a rake in my game and I'm assuming you guys don't either. The second guy who "got ugly" would have probably just gotten the [censored] kicked out of him.
Good luck,
Matt

obeythekitten 04-05-2005 11:27 PM

you are a [censored] idiot for even letting that guy who brought a friend ever come back and play again.

either the original player replaces the $100 the friend demanded back, or he gets the boot.

quit being a [censored] pussy.

JonnyKK 04-05-2005 11:35 PM

On that first occasion, I woulda called the game, asked my friends to leave, kick said player out while looking him dead in the eye saying "what money?". Let his bitch ass call the cops, they arent gonna do [censored], cause said event "never happened". Now if he tries to get buck, well I gotta glock, dunno about you, so 99 outta 100 times it ends there. Sounds like you need to print out a set of rules and post them clearly at the entrance to the home or poker room. You need to talk to this one friend of yours that brought these 2 fools. Maybe the 2nd one tried it, cause he knew he could get away with it.

Simple solution..
1)Dont let him invite anymore people
2)Print out rules and post em before games
3)before you get the game underway, state said rule orally.

Really sucks that you have to go through any of this bs tho.

TheNoodleMan 04-05-2005 11:43 PM

this is so beyond stupid.
If you let the guy in your game after the first incident, you got what you deserved.

tubalkain 04-05-2005 11:49 PM

They both need to fornicate themselves with an iron stick. Let them call the cops... there's no chance in hell they could get a no knock warrant for a poker game, so when the cops get there, they find you guys playing a friendly game with no cash in sight because the cash is taped to the side of the washer or something.

I'd have probably called a 15 minute break to beat the [censored] out of the guy who brought the assholes, but hey... what could I do? :P

Guthrie 04-06-2005 01:24 AM

Two words: Louisville Slugger.

MortalWombat 04-06-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]And also to call an ambulance while he was at it.

Rick Diesel 04-06-2005 05:06 PM

Why would you care if he calls the cops? As long as the person hosting the home game is not taking a rake then there is nothing illegal going on. Even if it was illegal, when the cops come to the door, just don't let them in. Tell them to come back when they get a warrant.

JohnnyHumongous 04-06-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes and yes.

BottlesOf 04-06-2005 11:44 PM

UH, ya think?

MattHatter 04-07-2005 09:46 AM

No rake at my home game.
No problems with cops.
NO WAY would I give the guy his money.

This must be a teenager? The behaviour seems to indicate it. Any adult would know that you dont get your money back. Not many would risk the embarassment.

Matt

miajag81 04-07-2005 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as the person hosting the home game is not taking a rake then there is nothing illegal going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true in all states.

galahad_187 04-07-2005 11:49 AM

Some of you take your home games too seroiusly
i know in my state if your having a no rake 'friendly' game on your personal owned property, you can have no more than 1grand in cash on the table in any given time. That includes all participants.

I would have done mostly what the guy that said to kick everyone out said. The whole 'what game' thing would have disenheartened him enough to eat his loss and leave. I also would have let the regular who invited the unruly friend back, but would have said, 'handle your bitch, and don't bring another one back.'

So yeh i agree with him. aside from the 'glock' thing. no point in taking out a bloody gun over some guy whining about his 100 bucks. i have the feeling those present could more than handle the situation without the need for firearms.

p.s. im not some anti-gun hippie, but i dont see the need to flash it around here ya wannabe gansta.

Lottery Larry 04-07-2005 01:29 PM

"I'm not sure I get the scam if he trying to scam us, but a few us feel like its time for him to find a new game. "

Play for free if you lose, but keep the cash if you win? Something like that, maybe?

Hell YES I'd ban him. Which side was he taking during the argument the second time? How could there even BE a second time- the sponsor is a complete moron?

Punk.

Lottery Larry 04-07-2005 01:31 PM

Now THAT'S a good idea- piss off the cops, who know where you live and know that you host games.

Sure your group isn't violating any parking restrictions or curfew requirements? Why antagonize them for no reason, even if the game IS legal?

Lottery Larry 04-07-2005 01:33 PM

A bit harsh, DYT? It would depend on what the sponsor was doing during the first argument, but I might let it slide.

I wouldn't have given the money back, though.

fbomb101 04-07-2005 01:34 PM

http://www.homepokergames.com/homepokerlaw.php

This shows the laws in various states.

Lottery Larry 04-07-2005 01:35 PM

"Some of you take your home games too seroiusly"

Amateur....

:P

Lottery Larry 04-07-2005 01:37 PM

"Officer, I was at this poker game, someone's house I didn't know, and I was robbed/cheated of my money and then threatened!"
" Yes, the game is at 123 Nevermore Lane... I think I saw drugs there and underage drinking"

Don't bet the ranch on "there's no chance in hell they could get a no knock warrant for a poker game"

Guthrie 04-07-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.homepokergames.com/homepokerlaw.php

This shows the laws in various states.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be very cautious about taking legal advice from an illiterate website operator.

Mojo Tooth 04-07-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. im not some anti-gun hippie, but i dont see the need to flash it around here ya wannabe gansta.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a squirt gun? Loaded with indigo ink or possibly a mild clorox mixture? Burns the eyes a bit, ruins the clothing...

MeridianFC 04-08-2005 06:42 PM

I can't imagine knowing anyone who would behave like such an asshat. I'd not give the idiot his money back, I'd call the game right at that point, tell eveyone to leave and that the game is called indefinitely, don't invite the idiot who invited the asshat. Start the game back after a lag or move locations temporarily, and put the finger on the idiot & asshat for games in your areas.

KKbluff 04-09-2005 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly the best reply to ANY post i have ever seen lol.

Lottery Larry 04-09-2005 09:31 AM

What makes him "illiterate" in your mind?

grandgnu 04-09-2005 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What, some guy pretending to be tough? Everytime a post like this comes up, 90% of the pansies start talking about beating the crap out of people.

Just boot em from your game and be done with them. Assaulting people is only going to lead to compounded problems in the future.

MortalWombat 04-10-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What, some guy pretending to be tough? Everytime a post like this comes up, 90% of the pansies start talking about beating the crap out of people.

Just boot em from your game and be done with them. Assaulting people is only going to lead to compounded problems in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]Geeze, someone needs to see a proctologist about that stick problem.

grandgnu 04-10-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Geeze, someone needs to see a proctologist about that stick problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat the crap out of the guy, what happens next?

1. He presses charges

2. He wants to get revenge (your car is keyed, your house is set on fire, he gets some of his buddies to come down and kick your ass, he brings a knife or a gun, etc.

It's just not worth it. Boot them and be done with them. And welcome to the boards Wombat.

MortalWombat 04-10-2005 06:36 PM

My point being that my post was said in jest.

Besides, any kind of weasel who would threaten to call the cops when he loses money is most likely a chickensh*t who will crawl back in his hole when he sees that his bluff has been called by someone who won't take any of his crap.

grandgnu 04-10-2005 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, any kind of weasel who would threaten to call the cops when he loses money is most likely a chickensh*t who will crawl back in his hole when he sees that his bluff has been called by someone who won't take any of his crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's likely a bluff and a scam. That being said, acting in violence against this person could likely turn what was originally a bluff (and could've been handled with a player ban) into something far worse. Most people in the U.S. are under extreme amounts of stress due to their lives and work, it doesn't take much to push some idiot off the deep end.

tubalkain 04-10-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's likely a bluff and a scam. That being said, acting in violence against this person could likely turn what was originally a bluff (and could've been handled with a player ban) into something far worse. Most people in the U.S. are under extreme amounts of stress due to their lives and work, it doesn't take much to push some idiot off the deep end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Solve this with a few whacks of the banhammer.

MortalWombat 04-10-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's likely a bluff and a scam. That being said, acting in violence against this person could likely turn what was originally a bluff (and could've been handled with a player ban) into something far worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that I never said to actually beat him up. If he says he's going to call the cops, merely saying "go ahead and call the cops, and while you're at it, call an ambulance too" will most likely cause this lowlife to get out in a hurry, being the spineless hole-dwelling creature that he is.