Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Disprove the Bible (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=212200)

KidPokerX 03-12-2005 11:27 PM

Disprove the Bible

If we found that water was present on mars at one time, and that there was life at one time, would this disprove our bible?

tbach24 03-12-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Disprove the Bible

I think the exsistence of dinosaurs already disproves most religious books. However, you're not really supposed to believe everything from religious books, they're basically fables. Weird stories with a moral.

KidPokerX 03-12-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the exsistence of dinosaurs already disproves most religious books.

[/ QUOTE ]
How come?

mason55 03-12-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the exsistence of dinosaurs already disproves most religious books.

[/ QUOTE ]
How come?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. God put the dinosaurs there to test us. tbach has failed. Have fun with your eternal damnation.

tbach24 03-12-2005 11:37 PM

"On the first day God created Heaven/Earth...and then on the last day God rested."

Seven days of creation, no dinosaurs.

M2d 03-12-2005 11:42 PM

has anyone seen a dinosaur? all we have are fossils, and those are part of "heaven and earth"

mason55 03-12-2005 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone seen a dinosaur? all we have are fossils, and those are part of "heaven and earth"

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

KidPokerX 03-12-2005 11:46 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they did, in fact, roam this planet at one time.

tbach24 03-12-2005 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a dinosaur. Komoto (sp?) dragon. Alligator. Anyone else care to chime in?

mason55 03-12-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they did, in fact, roam this planet at one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

tdarko 03-12-2005 11:52 PM

jessica tandy...oh wait she is extinct [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

mason55 03-12-2005 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a dinosaur. Komoto (sp?) dragon. Alligator. Anyone else care to chime in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Komodo Dragons

They share a common past with dinosaurs but are not direct descendants.

So, assuming dinosaurs DID exist, komodo dragons are not dinosaurs, nor even direct descendents.

pshreck 03-12-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we found that water was present on mars at one time, and that there was life at one time, would this disprove our bible?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would not disprove the bible more than any number of things do now, like heavy scientific evidence showing the life of the earth being atleast a few billion years, and probably around 15 billion.

Most Christians don't read the bible as completely literal, and consequently nothing is really proven wrong.

tbach24 03-13-2005 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
life of the earth being atleast a few billion years, and probably around 15 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earth = 4.6 billion years, no?
Life = 3.5 billion years, no?

I think those are the numbers, please correct me if I'm wrong. Old testament = 5.8k years old, earth = MUCH older

Also, like you said (and I said in my original response), religious books are not to be taken literally, but to be taken as a fable-type thing.

jason_t 03-13-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heavy scientific evidence showing the life of the earth being atleast a few billion years, and probably around 15 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's older than some estimates on the age of the Universe!

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:13 AM

Yeah, but as I have learned, there are tons of Christians who actually believe the earth is 6k years old. I am sure there are a few on this board.

Arguments for this usually involve the great flood, which was mentioned in the bible, which they say greatly skewed fossils and other things we use to reason how old the earth is (riiiiiiiight). They also believe man lived at the same time as dinosaurs, and of course the infamous 'there is no such thing as evolution'.

tbach24 03-13-2005 12:17 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAH

I guess santa and the easter bunny exsist as well

<font color="white"> sorry to anyone this might affend (sp?) </font>

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"On the first day God created Heaven/Earth...and then on the last day God rested."

Seven days of creation, no dinosaurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you skipped is important. Particularlly

Genesis 1:24
And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures acording to their kinds; livestock; creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.

I think this leaves plenty of room for dinosaurs.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:20 AM

The Bible says nothing about the age of the earth.

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAH

I guess santa and the easter bunny exsist as well

<font color="white"> sorry to anyone this might affend (sp?) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to be frustrated? Get into a theological argument with one of these guys. Once the 'all forms of life lived at the exact same time despite all scientific evidence' argument comes up, it usually gets nasty.

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible says nothing about the age of the earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... have you read the bible?

tbach24 03-13-2005 12:24 AM

5.7k years ago... first thing that I could think of over 5.7k years old

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, your WRONG, the great flood eroded these artifacts, which were actually created in the early 1970s in Harlem.

mason55 03-13-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, PROVE IT. I maintain God left it there to test us.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:26 AM

The Bible is silent on the presence of water on mars. It also says nothing about life on other planets. I don't think such a discovery would disprove the Bible any more than the invention of Coke with lime would demonstrate Einstein's theory of relativity.

tbach24 03-13-2005 12:26 AM

Okay, please explain the idea behind the Hebrew calendar then? Is the start (something like 5785 years ago) totally arbitrary?

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5.7k years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Please point me to the passage in the Bible where it says 5.7k years ago. You won't find it.

tbach24 03-13-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to think that, then there's nothing that I will or want to do to change that. Religion is empowering, I am just saying that taking religious books word for word is ridiculous. I believe in God, but I know that there is minimal truth in the Torah (or any other religious book).

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:29 AM

Yes. The entire thing at least twice. Have you?

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5.7k years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Please point me to the passage in the Bible where it says 5.7k years ago. You won't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is done from tracing the history in the bible... there is no passage saying "thus book thous are reading is 5700 years old", but I think everyone else knew that.

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:32 AM

I really have no idea which side of the argument you are on?

Do you take the bible literally, or not so literally? How old do you believe the earth is?

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:34 AM

Well, I know very little about the Hebrew calander, but I would guess that it was started thousands of years after 5785 years ago. At that time it was probably someones best guess as to the age of the earth. It may be like how the Christian calander was not set up for a few hundred years after Jesus, and it is likely that Jesus was not actually Born on December 25, 1 B.C.

But you should really fond someone more enlightened on this subject than myself.

doughhater 03-13-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone seen a dinosaur?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, am I the only one who saw Jurassic Park? Obviously Dinosaurs are real and were genetically re-engineered in the late 80's on a remote tropical island.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:37 AM

As I said, the Bible says nothing about the age of the earth. Any attempt to figure the age of the earth from the Bible would be open to interpretion, and there is no reason to believe it can be done at all.

pshreck 03-13-2005 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said, the Bible says nothing about the age of the earth. Any attempt to figure the age of the earth from the Bible would be open to interpretion, and there is no reason to believe it can be done at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought, we are actually agreeing. Those who take the bible literally actually trace from Adam and Eve, and have constructed timelines completely from the word of the bible (I have seen them :shudders:).

I agree it is pointless to look for the age of the earth or other highly scientific things in the bible.

Duke 03-13-2005 12:39 AM

Come on! The psychology forum is where religion threads belong.

This has been decided in the past.

~D

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really have no idea which side of the argument you are on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you take the bible literally, or not so literally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if I took the Bible literally (which I don't always do), I still would know nothing about the age of the earth

[ QUOTE ]
How old do you believe the earth is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is likely that the earth is a few billion years old. Although when God is involved, you never know (the earth migh be just a few seconds old).

Duke 03-13-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a great point. When someone is mentally incapable of understanding the proofs in question, there is no point in trying to present them.

I can't believe that you are now saying that Egypt didn't exist when it did. I've heard the dinosaur argument before, but this is a new one. I salute you.

~D

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I thought, we are actually agreeing. Those who take the bible literally actually trace from Adam and Eve, and have constructed timelines completely from the word of the bible (I have seen them :shudders:).

[/ QUOTE ]

It is likely that those timelines have huge gaps in them, as the Bible does not provide a continueous history (geneologies often skip several generations, and there is no accounting for the time between creation and the creation of Adam (unless you take the "days" of creation to be literal "days"), and more importantly there is no accounting for the time between the creation of Adam, and the fall.)

mason55 03-13-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a great point. When someone is mentally incapable of understanding the proofs in question, there is no point in trying to present them.

I can't believe that you are now saying that Egypt didn't exist when it did. I've heard the dinosaur argument before, but this is a new one. I salute you.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm a 100% atheist. I was trying to get some of the agnostic/atheist crowd to come up with some intelligent arguments but apparently I've failed miserably. Or you have. Take your pick.