Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Gambling Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CHESS Match for cash (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=196441)

XxGeneralxX 02-15-2005 06:13 PM

CHESS Match for cash

In the past few years I have been playing all different forms of poker (like everyone else in the world). But lately I have developed a love for Chess. What do you guys feel about playing Chess matches for cash? is this gambling? Thanks

Shoe 02-15-2005 07:33 PM

Re: CHESS Match for cash

Yes it's gambling, but i'd say it is a lot more skill based than poker is.

slickpoppa 02-15-2005 08:47 PM

I don't really consider it gambling because the skill factor is so high, unless the opponents are really close in abilities.

XChamp 02-16-2005 02:02 AM

Sure it's gambling. Everything is gambling.

Chess ratings are based on the assumption that a player of any strength CAN beat any other player, just with varying probabilities. Once in a while I will drop a game to a guy ranked FAR below me. Likewise, I will occasionally take down a big hitter.

Unless players are very close in ability then odds should be argued over. That's where most of the true gambling will come in. Can you REALLY beat him 2 out 3 times while playing black? Will it really be an even game if you give him a pawn advantage?

Chess is a beautiful game. It is the only game, besides poker, that has not bored me after years of playing it (but I haven't tried my hand at backgammon or bridge yet).

A_C_Slater 02-18-2005 09:18 PM

Chess can be gambled on, but the skill ratio is so high that the better player needs to handicap himself. Take away a knight or a rook, etc. I've been playing chess for years and I am quite good, but if I were to play Gary Kasparov straight up 1000 times in a row, he would win 1000/1000 times. But I could still gamble with him if he would agree to take away his queen. Then it might be closer to an even money proposition. I would have to then determine if Kasporov minus his queen was a EV+ situation for me. If not, then I stop playing, or make a deal with him to take off another pawn or two, etc.

wickedgoodtrader 02-20-2005 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me playing the best in the world would be like betting a coin will end up heads or tails (as in it will be 1 OF the 2 not 1 OR the other) It's a guranteed win coinflip and a guranteed win bet if you bet against me in the chess... that is not gambling.

Shoe 02-20-2005 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me playing the best in the world would be like betting a coin will end up heads or tails (as in it will be 1 OF the 2 not 1 OR the other) It's a guranteed win coinflip and a guranteed win bet if you bet against me in the chess... that is not gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing i have learned from betting is that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed. You will still beat the world champ by complete fluke one in x times. Maybe that number is one in a thousand, maybe 10 thousand, maybe 10 million, however, if you play long enough eventually you will do something that catches him off guard, or he gets too over-confident, or just stops concentrating since he beat you 10,000 times in a row. I agree, chess is a lot more skill based than poker, but whenever money is involved, it is still gambling and anything can happen.

EDIT: Even if you have a 99% edge it is still "gambling", it's just that the odds are so much in your favor it is as close to guaranteed money as you can get.

wickedgoodtrader 02-20-2005 03:58 PM

There is such a thing as 100% edge. Put a baby up against Tyson in boxing.

william deangelis 02-20-2005 04:50 PM

He could do something to disqualify himself.... had to take that shot against Tyson.

slickpoppa 02-20-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could do something to disqualify himself.... had to take that shot against Tyson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he would try to eat the baby

Shoe 02-20-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as a 100% edge. 99.99% perhaps. Like others said, he could get DQ'd somehow, or perhaps have a heart attack or black out for some reason as soon as the match starts.

EliteNinja 02-20-2005 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as a 100% edge. 99.99% perhaps. Like others said, he could get DQ'd somehow, or perhaps have a heart attack or black out for some reason as soon as the match starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the parents of the baby may have bribed Tyson's corner to throw in the towel.

wickedgoodtrader 02-20-2005 08:13 PM

OK OK OK.. u guys got me.. howabout this one!!.. You bet that the whole world isn't going to blow up tomorrow and everyone isn't going to die. The only way you lose the bet is if the whole world blows up and everyoen dies.. therefore you still won't be paying out!!! 100% WINNER!!!!

Shoe 02-21-2005 03:07 AM

I'll agree with you on this one, except for the 100% winner part. It is 100% in the sense that you will never need to pay any money out, but when you lose the bet you also lose your life. That part is -EV is you ask me.

P.S. If you can find any suckers willing to take this bet, let me know.

goofball 02-21-2005 03:28 AM

100% edge

I will bet you that the speed of light in a vacuum will be c regardless of reference frame.

valenzuela 02-21-2005 09:55 PM

for that dude that said kasparov might screw up...kasparov mistakes are like missing the possibilty to attack a weak pawn on 6 moves...I will gladly play a chess game with you original poster not for cash because chess is played for fun( unless ure a gm and even so)

XChamp 02-22-2005 06:59 AM

Re: 100% edge

Ok, set up an experiment for measuring c. If your value does not correspond EXACTLY with 299,792.458 km/s then I win. Care to try me?

Better yet, calculate the speed of light exactly at the vacuous event horizon of a black hole when it his heading radially away from the black hole. If you don't get 299,792.458 km/s then I win.

goofball 02-22-2005 09:32 AM

Re: 100% edge

my claim had nothing to do with my ability to measure the speed of light.

light cannot travel radially away from a black hole while inside the event horizon, so i would never get to said event horizon.

A_C_Slater 02-24-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for that dude that said kasparov might screw up...kasparov mistakes are like missing the possibilty to attack a weak pawn on 6 moves...I will gladly play a chess game with you original poster not for cash because chess is played for fun( unless ure a gm and even so)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He would not make a mistake that would put him in jeopardy of losing the game. His only mistakes would come in not beating you optimally.

valenzuela 02-24-2005 08:51 PM

In Tv poker we see 100% edges all the time...i remember the one from wpt season 1( thats what we get in chile) when ulliot wins the tourney on the turn.

mosta 03-06-2005 10:02 PM

time is good way to handicap. give a gm 30 sec's or a min, and you get 30 or 60 min. I think Dzindzikhashvili used to do sht like that in Wash Square Park (except more like 10 or 20 secs vs 10 min).

slickpoppa 03-07-2005 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
time is good way to handicap. give a gm 30 sec's or a min, and you get 30 or 60 min. I think Dzindzikhashvili used to do sht like that in Wash Square Park (except more like 10 or 20 secs vs 10 min).

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a GM couldn't beat a halfway decent player in 10 to 20 seconds

pzhon 03-07-2005 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what a hustler wants you to think. Don't bet on it.

If you haven't practiced and the GM has, the GM's clock will not run at all. The GM will move and get back to holding the button down between the time you start to put your piece down and try to hit the clock.

Reef 03-07-2005 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't practiced and the GM has, the GM's clock will not run at all. The GM will move and get back to holding the button down between the time you start to put your piece down and try to hit the clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, they must be well practiced though. The strength of their moves is also diminished a little. I think I would go with playing a lightning game vs. them if they only had 10 seconds. I would simply make defensive/developing moves instantaneously.

valenzuela 03-07-2005 08:01 PM

Duh how can a GM beat me with 20 seconds?You must be crazy...

bugstud 03-08-2005 12:03 AM

you've never played lightning chess, have you.

axioma 03-08-2005 10:51 AM

it wouldnt even take a GM to beat you in 20 seconds.

a skilled speed chess player can easilly average 2 moves/second, and if you think you cant be beaten in 40 moves then you know very little about the game.

valenzuela 03-08-2005 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it wouldnt even take a GM to beat you in 20 seconds.

a skilled speed chess player can easilly average 2 moves/second, and if you think you cant be beaten in 40 moves then you know very little about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir have no idea what you are talking about lets play a game right here right now: e4

axioma 03-09-2005 08:30 AM

c5

Reef 03-09-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c5

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll move for him. b4.
<font color="white"> haha, not. Nf3 </font>

edit: read the white text

valenzuela 03-09-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c5

[/ QUOTE ]
Nf3

Reef 03-09-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
c5

[/ QUOTE ]
Nf3

[/ QUOTE ]

www.chessclub.com

axioma 03-09-2005 01:51 PM

hah.

Nc6.

gumpzilla 03-09-2005 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if we change the scenario to internet chess, where this kind of gimmickry can't happen and they're going to spend at least .1 sec per move? I play a decent amount of 1 0 online, and I believe I could at least split games with a GM if I had 1 minute and they had 20 seconds. 20 seconds just isn't a lot of time to beat somebody who has no interest in engaging and just hangs back and tries to play as defensively as possible, with an eye toward simplification. Even in the games where I spew pieces like a moron it takes good (but admittedly not master) players more than 20 seconds to beat me.

valenzuela 03-09-2005 03:23 PM

1)e4, c5
2)Nf3,Nc6
3)Bb5

axioma 03-09-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)e4, c5
2)Nf3,Nc6
3)Bb5

[/ QUOTE ]

Nf6.

valenzuela 03-09-2005 04:54 PM

Nc3

axioma 03-09-2005 06:28 PM

Nd4.

ill have to find a board if this goes on any further...

valenzuela 03-09-2005 06:43 PM

5) Bc4.

axioma 03-09-2005 07:09 PM

d6.