Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=193934)

Pawtucket Pat 02-11-2005 11:38 AM

Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise

First off, I'm really hoping this doesn't qualify as a zoo post, but if so, bitch me out and I'll repost there.

I've been 4-tabling 2/4 and 3/6 for quite a while with the usual 2+2 2001fp pt/gt setup, and have been doing fine. I'm bankrolled for 5/10, except I'm cashing out a fair amount of winnings and don't want to interrupt the current steady cash flow that would happen with a big downswing. I'm 23 with my first job out of college, so the ability to double my paycheck through poker is very helpful. My long-run goal is to be beating 15/30, but I'm well aware that I a) need to build my roll, and b) need work on my game. However, in the short-run (next 6 to 12 months) I need to make some real cash so I can afford a solid down payment on a condo and stop throwing money away renting.

So I'm thinking of moving up to 8 tables and staying at 2/4 and 3/6 and have a few questions. How much would you guess your hourly rate and bb/100 changed? Is 8-tables a huge adjustment from 4? I know that bb/100 will probably fall somewhat, but that should be more than compensated for the greater # of hands played.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

bicyclekick 02-11-2005 11:44 AM

Re: Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise

uh...

Try 6 tables first.

Schneids 02-11-2005 11:47 AM

Mine fell enough to make me reconsider whether it'd be better for me to 4-table or 8-table.

However, I'm not very arduous with my note taking and don't use playerview, etc etc.

I'd recommend trying it for awhile if you're comfortable with 4, and if you don't feel overwhelmed at first, give it a long enough spin to be able to make some judgments.

Pawtucket Pat 02-11-2005 12:38 PM

Thanks fellas, just trying to figure out how profitable it would be before springing for the necessary equipment.

k_squared 02-11-2005 01:52 PM

I only max 4 table... I have a laptop, and even the 4 screens gets crowded... but I have heard it suggested to even just add one more table at a time. Do that for a session or 2 and if you feel comfortable keep adding them! jumping from 4-8 seems overwhelming.

-good luck
K_squared

Reef 02-11-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Try 6 tables first.

[/ QUOTE ]

JeffO 02-11-2005 03:04 PM

I was four tabling the 15/30 for months before I invested in a dual monitor set up. I felt like I could do 4 tables in my sleep so I decided it was time to try 8. Long story short it was just too much for me. I currently do 6 tables and am comfortable with the 6. I would suggest working your way up to 8 and see how it goes for you. You may be able to do 8 in your sleep and you'll be looking to buy a third monitor.

rickofcampbell 02-11-2005 03:41 PM

I also just invested in a two monitor set up and find it a bit much. I had read so many players playing eight games I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, even six games seems a bit much as I find it overwhelming and distracting switching from monitor to monitor.

I'll give it a try since I have the set up but feel it may be a bit much. I also felt my level of play went down probably more than just a little.

I do actually like having the extra computer and monitor to check email, surf, but may not be using it for poker.

Good luck.

gamblore99 02-11-2005 03:51 PM

Best way to get to 8 is to add one at a time and get comfortable with each addition.

LImitPlayer 02-12-2005 09:12 AM

My BB/100 has dropped just over 1 BB/100 hands since I made the jump from 4-8 tables. This is over 200,000 hands.

There are 2 reasons for this loss.1) It's very hard to practice good table selection playing that many tables.
2) I started playing in the mornings/afternoons where the games are tighter so I could put my hours in.

Even tho my BB/100 has dropped just over 1BB/100 hands my hourly rate has increased about 25% and on top of that I am making twice the rakeback I was previously, so the move form 4-8 tables was definately worth it for me.

With 4 tables I was always in good games in 2 or 3 or sometimes all 4 of the tables I was on. With 8 tables I don't have the luxury of waiting for the juciy games to open(you don't have the time) and and I "settle for ok games"

My basic rule is for evening games any less than 7BB's for an extended period of time and I bail from the table. Afternoon or day games any less than 6BB's and I bail from the table. Once I sit at a new table I quickly scan the stats of the players and decide if the pot average met my minimum requirements cause the game was loose or because it was full of TAG's. At this point I either post or bail and find a new table. I constantly am monitoring the table averages and I probably switch tables an average of 10-12 times an hour.(This itself can seem like a chore)

I also was able to do 4 tables in my sleep and decided to add more. I went straight from 4 to 8 tables, I did not slowly add a table as some of the other posters suggested.

However, I would recommend adding 1 table at a time until you are comfortable with the extra tables. (I am a stubborn guy and had decided not to do this, the smart thing and almost gave up doing 8 a couple of days into it.) Now I can comfortably do 8 and could probably add another table or two in there but I'm not setting up a 3rd monitor so 8 will be my limit.

pfkaok 02-12-2005 03:40 PM

yeah, i kinda did the same as limitplayer in that i just went pretty much straight from 4 to 8, and it probably isn't the smartest way to do it.

I think even just going to 6 for a while wouldn't be that big of a jump from 4, and it will get you used to having 2 monitors, which was the hardest adjustment for me... just having to remember to look back and forth, but it got much easier. also at first one of my monitors couldn't do 16x1200 res, so having overlap on one of the screens really sucked. i think if you're going to do 8 its pretty important to be able to not have overlap.

pfkaok 02-12-2005 03:46 PM

schneids-

did you have any table selection at all when 8tabling the 10/20 game, or was it pretty much "seat open" was all you needed? i didn't have to switch too much at 5/10, but when i'm playin the 10/20 i feel theres lots of tables that can't possibly be too profitable, and have to switch a decent amount. quickly being able to see all the VPIP's, PFR, and Agr factor of eveyone at the table is by far the most valuable thing about Playerview. No way could i do more than 4 of that game without it.

bicyclekick 02-12-2005 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was four tabling the 15/30 for months before I invested in a dual monitor set up. I felt like I could do 4 tables in my sleep so I decided it was time to try 8. Long story short it was just too much for me. I currently do 6 tables and am comfortable with the 6. I would suggest working your way up to 8 and see how it goes for you. You may be able to do 8 in your sleep and you'll be looking to buy a third monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with jeffo on this one. 6 I can do in my sleep. 8 stresses me out. Table selection is a real pain in the ass at 8 too. I burn out much faster at 8 and I piss my friends off cause i blow them off cause I cna't tlak to them while playing 8.

My bb/100 isprobably proportionately higher at 6 compaired to 8 anyhow.

Michael Davis 02-12-2005 04:41 PM

I third. 6 is considerably easier than 8, I'm not sure why, but it is absolutely true that with 6 I can talk to people on the phone and AIM, with 8 I shut everything down.

-Michael

einbert 02-12-2005 05:12 PM

I am at 2/4 right now (started at .5/1 in December) and I just moved from 4 tables to 8 tables. I did 6-table for one day, but I felt like that was exactly the same at 4-tabling. 8-tabling is a little tougher, though. I definitely can't talk to anyone or do any kind of table selection (besides leaving a table when it gets shorthanded). I imagine it will get easier as I get more experience. I don't feel like it is affecting my ability to play good poker--I think my BB/100 will probably only drop slightly. Only the long run will tell for sure though.

I think it's worth it and a profitable move, especially considering the rakeback issue.

balt999 02-12-2005 05:26 PM

I think it's a bad idea to play 8 tables, no matter how good your think you are..Just too much going on to make intellegent decisions consistently.

balt999 Journal about Poker and Life

stoxtrader 02-12-2005 07:16 PM

I play 8, but i definitely shut down AIM and concentrate.

best advice I think is to add one table at a time and see how you feel.

Pawtucket Pat 02-12-2005 07:41 PM

thanks for the good responses, it sounds like 6 is the ideal number, I think I'll snag another 2001fp next time there's a deal on it, which will probably be monday morning. Plus, its gotta be nice to have some monitor space to check email or whatever when multitabling.

MicroBob 02-12-2005 08:31 PM

I am also in the 6...but not 8 camp. Whether it's 6-max for full-table I just get a little too hurried on 8-tables.

If I'm doing 3 or 4 (like I am now) it's pretty much like sleep-walking and I even sometimes feel guilty that I'm not using my time more producitvely.

surfdoc 02-12-2005 09:30 PM

I do 8 sometimes but also prefer 6. The number of mistakes and misclicks seems to go up at 8. I say get the setup if you can though because it is just fun. Playing 4 with another monitor for PT, AIM, and 2+2 is a pretty good poker experience. It is also cool to throw a DVD on the second monitor.

Check out this hand I played once 8 tabling. Luckily, I had a good read on the raiser and new I was behind. Hard to tell from the converter but I folded preflop. Good times...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: surfdoc is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. surfdoc posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks.

Pawtucket Pat 02-13-2005 01:47 AM

Haha, yeah, you hate to see that happen. I think you just sold me on 6 tables. Definitely a slight -EV move...