Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ever dropped cash so quickly online... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=192922)

JackWilson 02-09-2005 04:21 PM

Ever dropped cash so quickly online...

...that your hands started shaking and you needed a shot of liquor to calm you down?

Sigh. That was my unexpected pleasure recently. Dropped about $250 in less than 45 mins at 2/4. My stats were:

Flops seen: 33%
Games won: 3%
Showdowns won: 14%

It was incredible as far as cards went. It was incredibly bad as far as flops went and making second best hands. I recovered it but I literally felt like I was going to be sick. Is this irrational? I don't think it was the magnitude of the loss as much as the speed of it.

Grisgra 02-09-2005 05:33 PM

Re: Ever dropped cash so quickly online...

[ QUOTE ]
...that your hands started shaking and you needed a shot of liquor to calm you down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get drunk BEFORE you start playing and you won't have this problem . . .

grant 02-09-2005 05:39 PM

usually about three times a week. (OK twice) I had those identical stats at 3/6 and dropped mucho dinero.

steamboatin 02-09-2005 07:20 PM

You weren't the guy on Crypto last night complaing about only winning on hand out of 550, were you?

No, He was playing $1-2

bigmac366 02-09-2005 07:23 PM

i dont usually get upset until i lose much more than 62.5bb's. but i've never lost it that fast either.

Grisgra 02-09-2005 08:16 PM

I've lost 60BB in a lot less than 45 minutes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

jfresh 02-10-2005 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
shouldn't this number be much lower? that could be the problem...

jskills 02-10-2005 03:36 AM

felt like it was happening to me just a little while ago. LAGs reraising my AJs with 76o preflop and hitting the straight. Constant losses with TPTK to 2 pair rags. I was just about to quit, and just tried to stay calm and focused, keeping in mind the kind of person that must be on the other end of these hands and slowly but surely, ended up a few BB ahead on that table and well up on another.

Stay with your game if you know it's good. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

PoBoy321 02-10-2005 03:51 AM

it happens. i mean, online or not, money is money and losing it hurts.

at least having your hands shake isn't as bad as losing a huge pot to perfect runners, punching a wall and breaking your hand like yours truly.

AncientPC 02-10-2005 04:43 AM

I've dropped a grand in a day two or three times. I usually play NL 50 - 200.

I stop playing, watch some TV. Take some time off (a day - a week, depending on how I feel). Get back into it later.

Oh yeah, yesterday was another -$1k day but I'm +$700 today so it's all good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reef 02-10-2005 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
shouldn't this number be much lower? that could be the problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it is a problem

JackWilson 02-10-2005 06:15 AM

Hmm, no. This counts plays from the blinds. My VP$IP is about 19%, I just got a lot of above average cards in a short amount of time, that's why it was so high.

stigmata 02-10-2005 06:55 AM

Yeah - Those are the worst downswings. When you get dealt loads of great starting hands, only to jam the pot and then get rivered by a three-outer. Over & over again.

Kenrick 02-10-2005 08:04 AM

That's barely more than 60bb. I've gone hundreds of hands with winning 1% of the pots, and, yes, it was ridiculous. Suck it up, ya alky.

fnord_too 02-10-2005 11:27 AM

yes

Edit - yes to the dropping cash that fast, no to hands shaking and drinking because of it.

fnord_too 02-10-2005 11:34 AM

One other thing, for me it has gotten easier and easier to deal with the downswings over time. They never got to me to a huge extent, but one of the first things I worked on when I started playing poker very seriously was emotional detatchment. There are a lot of good articles and books that go into this subject far more eloquently than I can.

JKratzer 02-10-2005 02:03 PM

My roommate and I both play a lot of online poker, we're both college students and the money allows us to live in a lifestyle most of our peers can't. Anyway my roommate has always been a bit more emotional about poker than I, I am constantly reminding him to not rant or berate his opponents after bad beats because one "shouldn't tap the glass."

I came home yesterday after a class to find one of our plates absolutely shattered and laying all over our kitchen. Apparently my rm had suffered a couple bad beats during a bad session and took out his frustration on our plate.

JackWilson 02-10-2005 08:46 PM

Hmm, please inform me about the titles of these books. Being a bit more emotionally detached would be a VGT.

I mean...I was scared of losing my entire bankroll at that pace. Irrational...

JerBear77 02-11-2005 07:36 PM

Flops seen 21%

Winning hands 6%
Winning if flops seen 26%

Showdowns won 85%

Down 52BB in 1300 hands......does this make sense that it can happen????