Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New No Tolerance Policy at Commerce (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=184667)

andyfox 01-26-2005 11:24 PM

New No Tolerance Policy at Commerce

No more twenty minute time-outs. First infraction, and you're out of the game.

When the floorman came over to notify us, I told him to go f*ck himself. Might have been the biggest laugh I ever got at the card table.

Anyway, it's about time. Here's hoping they enforce it.

ricochet420 01-26-2005 11:57 PM

Re: New No Tolerance Policy at Commerce

nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

shant 01-27-2005 12:00 AM

I always thought the 20 minute rule was the funniest thing. I used to tell my non-poker playing friends about it and they equated it with time-outs in pre-school.

Good line by the way.

Richard K. 01-27-2005 12:02 AM

Word. Great games, but that place is barbaric.

The Armchair 01-27-2005 12:26 AM

For what kind of infraction?

If it's for smelling foul, I hope the Taj adopts it too.

nolanfan34 01-27-2005 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When the floorman came over to notify us, I told him to go f*ck himself. Might have been the biggest laugh I ever got at the card table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, I haven't met you. But the thought of you saying this to someone really made me laugh. Nicely played.

daryn 01-27-2005 02:15 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
When the floorman came over to notify us, I told him to go f*ck himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are awesome. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Josh W 01-27-2005 03:04 AM

I had lunch today with David Mosikian, who is something like the VP of player relations. I guess they started the policy late last night, and a high stakes player named JJ was one of the first evicted.

When he learned that they were serious, he said "hey, lets all go to the bike", and the game got up and moved.

This is why Commerce hasn't had such a policy in the past. And, imho, it's why they will discontinue the policy shortly.

Josh

csuf_gambler 01-27-2005 03:08 AM

no tolerance for what? someone fill me in

shant 01-27-2005 03:12 AM

Throwing cards at the dealer, abusing the dealer, starting a fight with other players, etc.

I once saw two guys get a 20 minute time out for verbally fighting with eachother. They tried to physically fight eachother on the timeout.

csuf_gambler 01-27-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Throwing cards at the dealer, abusing the dealer, starting a fight with other players, etc.

I once saw two guys get a 20 minute time out for verbally fighting with eachother. They tried to physically fight eachother on the timeout.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow commerce sounds like some gangsta shieeet.

daryn 01-27-2005 03:42 AM

yeah.. it sounds like party poker but the players can actually punch each other in the face.

shant 01-27-2005 03:54 AM

The best part was each guy was over 40. One of them was almost 60.

The Dude 01-27-2005 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, it's about time. Here's hoping they enforce it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's much more likely that the floormen will do nothign more often. After all, who want to completely throw somebody out of the game? If the choice is do nothing vs. either 20 mins or totally out, the floormen will choose nothing more often when the alternative is completely out.

Shoe 01-27-2005 06:23 AM

Man, I'm going to have to start wearing a mouthguard while I play poker. I don't want to get jacked in the face.

CCx 01-27-2005 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it sounds like party poker but the players can actually punch each other in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.phillyhiphop.com/UBB/graemlins/lol4.gif

AviD 01-27-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the 40/80 and 80/160 at the Borgata. Constant arguments over there, gives me a headache even when I'm tables away at the 20/40.

andyfox 01-27-2005 01:30 PM

Don't they have the same policy at the Bike?

andyfox 01-27-2005 01:32 PM

There was one infamous incident where a guy poured hot coffee onto another player. This was in a tournament.

andyfox 01-27-2005 01:35 PM

Maybe Josh can elaborate on the reasons for the new policy, but I suspect it has very little to do with ethics and a lot to do with workers' comp claims. Rumor is some dealer claimed an injury from a thrown card ( Was Ricky Jay the culprit?) and also stress from the abuse. If indeed this is the case, the policy will be enforced.

HDPM 01-27-2005 01:42 PM

See, lawyers to the rescue yet again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

peachy 01-27-2005 01:56 PM

lol injury from a card?!?!? people who press lawsuits on "card damages" and "emotional stress" need to be shot

spadeclub99 01-27-2005 01:57 PM

Commerce would also be liable for injuries to customers by other players in many instances, especially if the culprit has been violent and threatening before and has been allowed to play at Commerce.

sternroolz 01-27-2005 02:49 PM

Many of you commenting seem to have no appreciation at all for how truly bad the dealer abuse at Commerce is. I note that many players are absolutely stunned at how many poker tables Commerce has when they see it for the first time, even though the exact number has been posted here before. I guess this is the same situation....you have to actually experience it before you will believe it.

The players can be absolutely horrible. There is an older Latino guy that plays $9-18 who is a complete jackass. He wears mirrored sunglasses and has short grey hair that is sort of spiked. He must be at least in his 60's. He constantly cusses at dealers and throws cards when he loses. He is the worst winner in the world as well and will taunt other players when he wins. It is miserable playing with him, and the only reason I don't change tables is the guy bluffs every other pot and has a tell on par with the Oreo cookie tell from Rounders. And this guy is not anywhere close to the worst.

shant 01-27-2005 02:52 PM

That's the guy I was talking about who I said was near 60 and tried to fight another guy on his time-out.

He's a jackass but he's a nice donator.

Randy_Refeld 01-27-2005 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol injury from a card

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once cut on my face from a thrown card.

Randy Refeld

Rick Nebiolo 01-27-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol injury from a card?!?!? people who press lawsuits on "card damages" and "emotional stress" need to be shot

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of a dealer who had cornea damage and partial loss of vision due to a card thrown at her eye.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo 01-27-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't they have the same policy at the Bike?

[/ QUOTE ]

"No Abuse" means the Bike is doing a far better job then they used to but of course there is still some abuse that slips through. We still have a 20 minute penalty for a first offense, and of course during the 20 minute penalty the player must leave the table.

That said, when Commerce had the 20 minute penalty did they use it appropriately? And now that they have a much harsher penalty, will they be willing to use it?

Regards,

Rick

bigfishead 01-27-2005 05:51 PM

Well the more shlt they continue to allow, it's only a matter of time till some big ass buffed out dealer gets hit in in the face with cards, turns the table over on the culprit injuring others and beats the holy shlt out of the player....then calls "floor"!

I aint big, I aint buffed, but I would injure the bastard.

Commerce is way way way overdue on a policy like this. Once they have used this policy for an extended period, good dealers will be willing to go to work there again.

snakehead 01-27-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know of a dealer who had cornea damage and partial loss of vision due to a card thrown at her eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

that never would have happened if my suggestion for dealer attire had been implemented.

Josh W 01-27-2005 07:22 PM

Again, more heresay from from...

I heard that a player in the 1 seat banged an empty rack down on the hand of a dealer, breaking it. I also heard that was incorrect, and that the player grabbed the hand of the dealer, breaking it.

Who knows if either of these is true, and if so, which one.

I also heard a floorman yesterday say that they were implementing the policy at the time of the tournament to get a reputation for their no-tolerance policy. They want people to think that they are not tolerant. This is why I get the feeling when the tourny is over, and they lose their current monopoly on action in LA, they'll loosen their standards again.

I hope I'm wrong.

As others have said, the abuse is bad. It's the #1 reason why I rarely play at Commerce. I feel dirty just walking in there.

Josh

snakehead 01-27-2005 07:25 PM

typical old f*ck behavior.

snakehead 01-27-2005 07:43 PM

jj is one of the reasons the policies are not enforced. if he walks into the room ans sits at an empty table, a new game starts immediately. that mean $$ for the commerce. also, management knows the other players will follow him to wherever he wants to play.

onegymrat 01-27-2005 07:48 PM

Does he wear a blue, work uniform-type, short-sleeve button up shirt all the time?

mosta 01-27-2005 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah.. it sounds like party poker but the players can actually punch each other in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

except it's party 3-6 players playing 20-40 or higher.

andyfox 01-28-2005 12:48 AM

The twenty minute penalty was unevenly and haphazardly applied, usually depending on one's tipping habits. I was told that the "no abuse" policy means you're kicked out for the day. I assume that means you can come back in tomorrow.

I was in a game once when Frenchy was rivered. He started with his shtick and was given twenty minutes. Mid-way through he walks up to the table, while a hand is in progress, and reaches into the stub of the deck and throws some cards on the floor. He is barred for a month by Marcel.

Next day when I arrive, I see him in a game. I ask Marcel what happened, why is he being allowed to play. Marcel tells me he apologized.

So I take all Commerce's "policies" with a grain (or three) of salt.

andyfox 01-28-2005 12:49 AM

A question

Snake (or anybody else): Why are the games not must-move during the tournament?

andyfox 01-28-2005 12:50 AM

Or if you hadn't thrown it in the first place.

andyfox 01-28-2005 12:56 AM

About two weeks ago, at the Bike, there was a 400-800 game going, with faces in it that I recognized from Commerce. I imagine the big games will follow the donators, wherever they go.

The abuse at Commerce is indeed disgusting, much of it tinged with racism. But it's not that difficult to control. I can identify the top ten (or, I should say, bottom ten) culprits who play during the day and I'm sure they could find someone to identify the top ten who play at night. Kick them out permanently. Let everybody know they were banned. And then ban a few others, selectively, as incidents come up. All in all they'll lose about 30 players and the games will stay and be just as good.

QuadsOverQuads 01-28-2005 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol injury from a card?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a dealer there a couple years back who ended up with a sliced cornea from a thrown card? Just saying, even if it's not likely, it still certainly is possible.

q/q