Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I think wearing dark glasses while playing poker is bullshit (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=168759)

smileyfaceguy 12-30-2004 02:35 PM

I think wearing dark glasses while playing poker is bullshit

I'm looking at you, Fossilman!

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

krazyace5 12-30-2004 02:39 PM

Re: I think wearing dark glasses while playing poker is bullshit

nm

smileyfaceguy 12-30-2004 02:57 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

tek 12-30-2004 03:13 PM

Actually his glasses are from a box of Cracker Jacks.

As far as dark sunglasses that are usually worn, there are some valid reasons. New players don't want others to see their pupils when they get a good hand. I guess some people have good eough eyesight to see minute changes in pupil dilation across the table. Must be nice...

I wear prescription sunglasses because they make the cards clearer to see and cut any glare from the lights.

TStoneMBD 12-30-2004 03:23 PM

personally, i think that sunglasses should be banned from poker rooms, because i feel that they destroy one of the important elements to the game of poker: seeing your opponents face.

PoBoy321 12-30-2004 03:29 PM

I've worn sunglasses a few times when I've played. I've actually found that they haven't helped all that much. To an extent, they help with an intimidation factor, because people seem more distant and menacing when you can't see their eyes (that's the same reason that cops always wear sunglasses). If sunglasses were banned, I wouldn't mind it, just because I don't normally wear them, and I do fine without them, but I don't really think that it's necessary. Most people who have to wear sunglasses aren't really a factor in the game and usually have a lot of tells other than their eyes, so I don't mind playing against them either.

smileyfaceguy 12-30-2004 03:49 PM

I agree with you!

I like to look a man in the eyes before I take all his money.

Also before I kill him.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GreywolfNYC 12-30-2004 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've worn sunglasses a few times when I've played. I've actually found that they haven't helped all that much. To an extent, they help with an intimidation factor, because people seem more distant and menacing when you can't see their eyes (that's the same reason that cops always wear sunglasses).

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to be intimidated when I'm trying to suppress laughter at the guys with the mirrored shades and the wrap-around Oakleys.

mojorisin24 12-30-2004 04:12 PM

People with sunglasses don't bother me one bit. It's their choice to wear them, and since I don't think it changes the game in a measurable way, I could care less.

otnemem 12-30-2004 04:44 PM

I once saw a kid wearing his sunglasses upside down a la Marcel Luske. I wanted to strangle him.

Another funny thing... At the Foxwods WPF, I saw Phil Laak. I was thinking, "Hey, it's Phil Laak, that's pretty neat." Then I realized it wasn't Phil Laak, but some kid trying to look like Phil Laak. But then, lo and behold, I realized that the REAL Phil Laak was indeed at this table, three seats from the fake Phil Laak. I would've felt extremely embarassed for the fake Phil Laak, if I felt that he had any idea how uncomfortable that was to witness.

bear187 12-30-2004 05:00 PM

Damn, I guess I'm not the only one who's considered stealing Phil Laak's strategy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Big Business 12-30-2004 05:02 PM

I heard many views on the board about sunglasses and I think everybody has a good point. I think they do take away from the game and most of the people who wear them just do it because they saw Moneymaker or somebody else they like wear them. Same reason people wear hooded sweatshirts I guess.

All of that being said I do where sunglasses during tournaments and NL games. Sometimes I will wear them during a limit game, but most of the time it doesnt matter. The reason I wear them is for focus reasons. I don't know it is just with me but I tend to wander around and look at other things instead of concentrating on the game. The sunglasses darkens things and makes me focus and gets me in the right frame of mind. It's like a football player putting on a helmet or something...it's weird. So I don't know if I buy the fish wearing sunglass deal.

However, I have recently started listening to music at the table and that has helped focus as well so alot of the trends help me get in "the mood" I guess is what I am saying.

bunky9590 12-31-2004 09:42 AM

Well, In certain circumstances sunglasses are fine. Raymer does it and its his thing.

From Phil Gordon's Book (which was a nice read Btw.)

Wearing sunglasses at the finale table of a major tournament can give you the look and edge of a champion, wearing those same sunglasses at a 2/4 table will make you look like a Jackass.

He is dead on. Raymer looks nothing like a Jackass, especially with a bracelet on his wrist.

I have nothing but respect for greg. He's been helping me with my game long before he became champion, and will most likely do so well after he became champion. You green noobs really need to grow up.

zaxx19 12-31-2004 10:51 AM

personally, i think that sunglasses should be banned from poker rooms, because i feel that they destroy one of the important elements to the game of poker: seeing your opponents face..

Might be BIG PART OF THE GAME 4 U BUT NOT ACCORDING TO ANY RULE BOOK ANYWHERE.

If it was REALLY part of the game in an official way online poker would be impossible. And what about the common practice of covering your mouth on a big raise(I do this alot) are you proposing to outlaw this?? I mean you cant legislate what people can wear as long as it is within reason. Whats next no high necked shirts so everyone can read pulses?? I mean seriously we would all be at the tables nude if you had your way..

wray 12-31-2004 12:07 PM

I'm sure even Laak has tells when he wears that hood.

As far as sunglasses go do whatever floats your boat. I do agree with the 2/4 looking like a fool then again I don't. I mean what if the guy at the 2/4 is trying to become the next Greg Raymer? Lets say he knows he has certain tells where sunglasses help hide???

TStoneMBD 12-31-2004 01:19 PM

sunglasses make the game less friendly, and the fish are there for socializing purposes.

maryfield48 12-31-2004 01:50 PM

Nice avatar. Nice location.

Irie.

HUSKER'66 12-31-2004 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you!

I like to look a man in the eyes before I take all his money.

Also before I kill him.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is coming from someone named "smileyfaceguy"?

Chief911 12-31-2004 04:15 PM

I recently played in my first online tournament. And I wish I would have had glasses. Several times I had opponents take a long time on huge hands, and I hate just picking a spot and staring at it. It would be much easier if I would have had glasses on.

Just my two cents.

Nick

goofball 12-31-2004 08:37 PM

i wear sunglasses so i can stare at the cocktail waitress

grandgnu 12-31-2004 10:04 PM

Re: Sunglasses for tourneys, but not cash games

I tend to wear dark glasses only when I'm in a tourney, and not a cash game. Then again, mine are prescription, so people can see my eyes a little behind the glasses.

Usually in a big hand, where I've made a big bet or have moved all-in, I'll just close my eyes (but peek at my opponent to watch his actions) and try to prevent giving anything away.

I prefer no sunglasses at the table, although I feel that while I'm getting better at picking up others tells, I still need to make sure I learn all of mine and eliminate them before I'm ready to go sans-sunglasses.

DonButtons 01-01-2005 12:43 AM

Re: Sunglasses for tourneys, but not cash games

I weared them for like 15 minutes once and stopped after I misread the flop and lost a big pot.

sonataarctica 01-01-2005 01:50 AM

im pretty sure i got your witty sense of humor but just incase...
[ QUOTE ]
seeing your opponents face

[/ QUOTE ]
do you want to ban online play too?

jedi 01-01-2005 08:05 AM

I don't normally wear sunglasses, unless I'm in a big NL tourney or cash game, but I don't wear it to mask my tells, I do it so that the other person doesn't know when I'm studying him when I'm out of a hand.

oddjob 01-01-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People with sunglasses don't bother me one bit. It's their choice to wear them, and since I don't think it changes the game in a measurable way, I could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this completely. who cares if they wear sunglasses. my thoughts are if you're playing at a level where someone can get something from your eyes, then you should be good enough to not give anything away with your eyes.

but if someone chooses to, i usually just make smart ass comments like "i'd call you, but i can't tell what you have cause you got those sunglasses on"

Slacker13 01-01-2005 06:07 PM

So this was your first post? Way to come out of the gate strong.

tylerdurden 01-03-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they help with an intimidation factor, because people seem more distant and menacing when you can't see their eyes (that's the same reason that cops always wear sunglasses).

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be a side benefit, but it's not the reason. Cops wear dark sunglasses so they don't have to adjust their eyes so much when going from bright outdoors into a dark indoor area. It can be the difference between life and death.

Wabby 01-03-2005 11:33 PM

I played Phil Laak in a backgammon tournament about 5 years ago.

There were no non-smoking room, so he was wearing his hood AND A GASMASK !

Not that many tells to give away in backgammon, but I´m sure in poker you can tell a lot from listening to someone breathing through that gas mask filter :-)

Wabby

Sponger15SB 01-04-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer looks nothing like a Jackass

[/ QUOTE ]

naw, he just looks like a huge dork with those glasses