Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   HU NL Tourny (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=165298)

ddss6_99 12-21-2004 09:54 PM

HU NL Tourny

You have the oppertunity to play 1 of these opponents heads up for $1,000,000. Which one do you choose and why?

SmileyEH 12-21-2004 10:26 PM

Re: HU NL Tourny

I'd suck out on Hellmuth, put him on tilt and proceed to take all his chips.

-SmileyEH

pindawg 12-21-2004 10:28 PM

TJ would get tired of my all in every hand strategy (after about 3 hands) and call me with 85o and I'd win a million ... just kidding... he does seem like he'd be the easiest to trap or be caught bluffing though.

deacsoft 12-21-2004 10:30 PM

I wouldn't want to play any of them but if I had to I'd pick Mr. Cloutier. I've read his book and know he suggests a "weaker" style of play. I've seen and heard of some tells he has. If he's being backed for the million maybe that will change his play/style a little. He doesn't seem to be a great HU player. I think I could get under his skin a little. Plus, I'd be honored to share a table with him.

pindawg 12-21-2004 10:35 PM

Another reason I picked TJ is because it seems like he enjoys losing money

italianstang 12-21-2004 10:52 PM

Chan played like crap on PSI when it got short handed, but based on Barry Greenstein's somewhat negative commentary on Harrington I had to go with him.

TheJackal 12-22-2004 12:24 AM

Cloutier...

Cleveland Guy 12-22-2004 10:40 AM

I'd just keep talking to TJ about craps.

Should get him so excited to get to the dice, he will be off his poker game.

brokedickrooster 12-22-2004 11:11 AM

While Lederer, Chan, Brunson, and Negreanu are the players I repect the most, I wouldn't want to play against them for $1,000,000.00. That title goes to Helmuth. Just to hear him stomping around dropping f-bombs all over the place every hand he dropped would be worth it.

brncophan 12-22-2004 11:41 AM

Had to go with Daniel. Playing for that amount of money I'm sure I'd have a "Mike moment", push all in with a weak hand, get called by a Monster and suck out on the river or lose like a chump. Either way, I got a great story to tell.

TStoneMBD 12-22-2004 12:27 PM

i had to pick harrington, because while i respect him a great deal for his WSOP success, im not so certain he is nearly the same caliber of player that the others are. i almost chose hellmuth tho, simply because he wouldnt want get his money in as a 60/40 favorite against a random. however, blind structure is certainly important. if you started with 5k in chips with blinds of 1/2 i would definitely pick to play against harrington. with stacks of 100 and 1/2 blinds i would pick hellmuth.

deacsoft 12-22-2004 04:24 PM

17 so far for Mr. Hellmuth and I'm disappointed. Forget how much you don't like him. Forget how much you want to see him cry. I think it's time to stop being lemmings and start thinking for yourself. It seems popular opinion (at least the stuff that people are not keeping to themselves) is that Phil Hellmuth is this and that and a baby and sucks at poker. Many of you hear this and just start reapeating it. Why? Maybe you think it's cool. Maybe you lack the ability to think for yourself. Maybe you just believe everything you hear. Everytime I see these comments I just shake my head. No one even bothers to think about how good Mr. Hellmuth is before clicking his name.

The guy only has 9 WSOP titles (tied for first all time). All of the titles are in hold'em (limil, no-limit, pot limit). No one else in the world has 9 hold'em titles in the WSOP. He has made tons of final tables and has many other hold'em titles outside the WSOP. You don't win 9 WSOP hold'em titles without knowing how to play short handed and HU. This I beleive should give him recognition as the greatest tournament hold'em player in the world. Mr. Hellmuth and a couple others should be the last ones on the list to play.

I'm not saying I like him. I'm not saying he doesn't act very unprofessional. I'm not saying you have to like him. You're entitled to your opinion and I mine. Just think about it a little. Do you realy want to play HU NL hold'em for 1 million against the greatest hold'em player the WSOP has ever seen?

Sluss 12-22-2004 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not so certain he is nearly the same caliber of player that the others are.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is cultivating an image that allows thinking like this that makes Harrington one of the best in the world.

lastchance 12-22-2004 09:53 PM

Cloutier, Negreanu, Hellmuth, and Harrington are probably all somewhat weak. Since Cloutier and Hellmuth are tourney pros, I have to go with them.

Hellmuth's steam control is pretty lousy, and I think my best shot would be to get a pro on tilt.

valenzuela 12-22-2004 11:42 PM

I voted D.Harrington, can I make a deal with the pro?. Harrington seems the weakest of all those pros( he still owes me!) i hardly think it makes a difference although...the game would come down to a pro with something like a 2-1 adavantage over me.I would defenetly push preflop with ANY pair, ANY ace, maybe k9s or higher. Of course im supposing we both start with 50x the bb. Im not sure u mentioned the game...if i had to choose a game defenetly razz against harrington.

rgreenm90 12-23-2004 03:38 AM

I voted Harrington. It isn't because he is weak, because he isn't. Its just that someone with that tight of a style is at a disadvantage in heads-up. I think Raymer said that by the time he got to the final table, he thought that Arieh was far more dangerous than Dan because he was more imaginative. Its hard to adjust to heads up when you play a crazy tight style like Harrington. So definitely Harrington, and definitely NOT Negreanu or Ivey.

Spladle Master 12-23-2004 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted Harrington. It isn't because he is weak, because he isn't. Its just that someone with that tight of a style is at a disadvantage in heads-up. I think Raymer said that by the time he got to the final table, he thought that Arieh was far more dangerous than Dan because he was more imaginative. Its hard to adjust to heads up when you play a crazy tight style like Harrington. So definitely Harrington, and definitely NOT Negreanu or Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I read something like this, I picture Harrington coming over the top of a raise at the final table with 62o, causing David Williams to lay down AQ. It makes me chuckle.

SCfuji 12-23-2004 09:29 AM

doesn't matter. i would beat them all.

shummie 12-23-2004 11:45 AM

I wish Phil Gordan was on this list. Remember how he blew it with that "amatuer" at the Aruba WPT?

- Jason

Olde drunk 12-23-2004 12:20 PM

it has got to be Helmuth. only because his game has been exposed AND he will TILT!

cya,

Walter Pullis 12-23-2004 12:32 PM

Definitely T.J. He's getting older, and in recent TV tournaments has not done well at final tables(except for that Razz tourney). He rarely bluffs or even semi-bluffs at final tables, so you can put him on a hand better than the rest.
Don't get me wrong; he's a hell of a player, but of the list you provided I would most want to play him.

mrbill22 12-23-2004 01:12 PM

Daniel N would be fun to lose to.

deacsoft 12-23-2004 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it has got to be Helmuth... he will TILT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing him cry like a baby after a bad beat. I remember seeing him berate others players after bad beats. However, I do not recall ever seeing him play recklessly after a bad beat.

To clear up this myth: Tilt is when a player plays recklessly usually after a loss of significance. Mr. Hellmuth gets upset after these losses but does not tilt. It may be one of the factors that makes him great. So many fools think you if you suck out on the guy he'll get upset and tilt. Mr. Hellmuth even plays the part of a beaten down tilter and then does nothing but out play you for 1 million.

jeffraider 12-23-2004 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish Phil Gordan was on this list. Remember how he blew it with that "amatuer" at the Aruba WPT?

- Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with Phil Gordon, anyways? Last year he's the suckiest professional on the pro side of Aruba and he's always bashing his own ability, and this year he's the world's finest poker player and expert advisor to Celebrity Poker.

zaxx19 12-23-2004 05:20 PM

I would defenetly push preflop with ANY pair, ANY ace, maybe k9s or higher

and

you believe you would be 33% to win??

Probably more like 20-25%

He is a decent pro....and quite articulate. He also has the time to sit on the set since he has zillions in the bank. It gives him access to celibrities and the entertainment world. Proibably the only reason a major publisher picked up his book. Seems like a good deal for him from here.