Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ed millers quiz (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153768)

beerbandit 11-26-2004 02:51 PM

ed millers quiz

quiz

cheers
beer

pokerjo22 11-26-2004 04:53 PM

Re: ed millers quiz

5/8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Guess I should pony up for his book.

SlantNGo 11-26-2004 05:31 PM

6/8... I'm not surprised I missed the first question, but the second one seemed like a routine situation straight out of SSH.

TonyBlair 11-26-2004 05:34 PM

I'm winning with 7. But I don't expect that to last long. No doubt someone will get 9 soon.
I'm just wondering if Ed Miller was right where we disagreed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

uuDevil 11-26-2004 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Guess I should pony up for his book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely.

8/8! But these questions seem SO familiar....

Justin A 11-26-2004 06:33 PM

My favorite username from the quiz was, "itsnotatumor"

I can't help but think of the governator.

Justin A

MicroBob 11-26-2004 08:32 PM

I got 7.
Missed the first one but don't think it's a terrible mistake.
However, I suppose anybody who misses any question has their own reasoning and thinks they are the one playing it correctly.

All of the others seemed pretty routine straight from SSHE.

Good quiz. I like these better than the back of the book where it's just too easy for your eye to stray.

[ QUOTE ]
but the second one seemed like a routine situation straight out of SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you missed this one??
You are correct that it was straight out of SSH. In fact, he intros his chapter on post-flop play with almost exactly this situation.

Lansing 11-26-2004 09:35 PM

Guess I don't suck as much as this board would have me believe.

zephed56 11-26-2004 09:45 PM

I got 7/8.
I missed the question where we had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and we could either check the turn through or bet it against one player. I chose to take the free card, but I hadn't realized that "bluffing" (if you assume he hit a pair) is more attractive when the pot gets bigger, when you think there's a chance he may fold.
Thanks guy!

The Dude 11-26-2004 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, you stole my post.

MicroBob 11-26-2004 10:16 PM

yeah...it's a semi-bluff.
He's showing weakness by checking.
Unless you have significant fear of a check-raise there is a strong enough chance that he will fold to the double-sized bet on the turn.

The key to this is that there is only one opponent left.

If there were 2 or more opponents left then winning the pot right then and there with a bet would have been unlikely and you should strongly consider taking the free-card.

but with only 1 opponent left I want to see if he'll fold his AK or lower pocket-pair or whatever he might have after I showed strength by raising the flop.

MicroBob 11-26-2004 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I thought this was really funny too.
That craaaaaaazy Ed Miller. He's sooooooo clever!!

BusterStacks 11-26-2004 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you still suck just as bad, except now we think you're a liar too.

illguitar 11-27-2004 01:06 AM

I got a 6/8. I knew all the answers, but it asked what I would do. No sense lying to yourself.

pfkaok 11-27-2004 01:22 AM

yeah, i got 7 too. i missed the 1st one, but for me it was a spot where I'd sometimes call, and sometimes fold, so I guess its only a small leak for me??

BTW, on the KJ one, would it be correct to check the turn if you had AK instead, and you were vs. an aggressive player?? I think its a pretty easy bet in his question, but if I had AK in that spot I'd be more inclined to mix it up and check occasionally, since AK has more showdown value.

Lansing 11-27-2004 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think what you want, at least I play poker without IMing people to help me during a hand, LOL!

BusterStacks 11-27-2004 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think what you want, at least I play poker without IMing people to help me during a hand, LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe you should, you might learn how to play aces or AQ!

PuppyKicker 11-27-2004 02:51 AM

I got 8 ... but anyone who has read SSHE should get 8 easily, really.

Russ McGinley 11-27-2004 03:02 AM

6/8. The K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] question threw me, as I opted to call preflop (instead of raising) and checking the turn (instead of betting).

umdpoker 11-27-2004 03:22 AM

yeah i also knew all of the answers, and i haven't read sshe yet. however, i'm not sure if i would play accordingly every time.

Ed Miller 11-27-2004 04:21 AM

BTW, on the KJ one, would it be correct to check the turn if you had AK instead, and you were vs. an aggressive player?? I think its a pretty easy bet in his question, but if I had AK in that spot I'd be more inclined to mix it up and check occasionally, since AK has more showdown value.

Yes, this is definitely right. It's especially true if your opponent might try a check-raise bluff. HPFAP talks a lot about checking hands like that.

Ed Miller 11-27-2004 04:26 AM

8/8! But these questions seem SO familiar....

I considered this a "fundamentals" quiz. Some of the other quizzes are a little more daring, but this one I consider a "if you get any of the eight questions wrong, you have a significant, fundamental problem," quiz.

Also, this will unfortunately be my last quiz for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CGTV decided to stop supporting their website indefinitely. I'll let you know if they start it back up.

I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.

illunious 11-27-2004 04:47 AM

Isn't there some value in just calling hand #6 on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
You raise. MrBingle calls on the button. The big blind, brassrat, also calls, as do the two limpers. The pot is five ways for two bets each. The flop is 1095. Brassrat and the first limper check. The second limper, Dangermaus, bets. What should you do? (You have KJ.)

[/ QUOTE ]

"You have a gutshot draw, and the pot odds are favorable for drawing to it" is not the reason I'd give, "I like calling and trying to get Brassrat and the first limper to call" is what I was thinking.

Vaftrudner 11-27-2004 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this will unfortunately be my last quiz for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CGTV decided to stop supporting their website indefinitely. I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad to hear that, they were great and they fit the (interactive) web better then a book imho. If I were you I'd contact a bunch of more "regular papers" maybe in Vegas or whatever. I don't think it's impossible to get in a column in one of these. Poker is on a roll now and you have the knowledge AND the writing skill which separates you from many others. Give it a shot! /v

LuckyStiff 11-27-2004 03:39 PM

Ed--This would be an excellent book. I think you should also consider publishing the quizzes as a deck of cards with the answers/explanations on the back. This way we could carry them around conveniently and shuffle them so that the subject (chapter) is not known prior to reading the problem. Eight BTW.

uuDevil 11-27-2004 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose this kind of book wouldn't have as broad an audience as your other projects, but I hope it happens. If it isn't too geeky, you might consider using a programmed instruction format like this math book.

MicroBob 11-27-2004 05:41 PM

2+2 books too geeky???!?!

NEVER!!!!

SlantNGo 11-27-2004 07:44 PM

That's right. Very disappointing. I need another read through the postflop concepts as soon as I'm done exams.

EDIT: No, I didn't miss question #2. I meant the second question of the two I missed. No no, question #2 was too obvious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you missed this one??
You are correct that it was straight out of SSH. In fact, he intros his chapter on post-flop play with almost exactly this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

ds914 11-27-2004 08:56 PM

you writing material for him?

MicroBob 11-27-2004 09:07 PM

I definitely qualify on the geek-o-meter.
Unfortunately that's about the only area in which I qualify.

If 2+2 wanted to do a book on 'How to suck and still beat the game every once in awhile' then I'd be their man?

After that I could write a book on 'How to get a book published even if you can't write for crap'

However, it's also possible that Phil Hellmuth already beat me in this area.

pfkaok 11-27-2004 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree that this would be a great idea... at least I'd buy it. I know tons of people have said this, but I'll repeat the opinion that it would be much better for us taking them if you had the answers in a spot that wasn't so easy to sneak a peek at when you're reading the questions.
Also, I would like it if you added some margainal plays in there, and say what factors would push it one way or the other. I think many small stakes player, myself included, probably think that a lot of plays are clear cut, auto-pilot type plays, when in fact they're very close, and could swing either way based on your opponents.

Thanks for replying to my AK twist on the KJ quiz question. Also, if you read this can you say why the answer to #1 is so clear cut, as you say they all are? Or as a side question, how likely would a 3-bet by somebody else have to be in order to make folding for 1 more correct, or at least make it a closer decision? For me, if I were playing 2-4 at party I would almost always call in that spot, but at 3-6 I would be pretty dependant on who's already in as to whether I call the PF raise... also, at 3-6 the $1 SB cuts down on your implied odds, unless the SB is really loose and coldcalls a lot.

MicroBob 11-27-2004 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, if I were playing 2-4 at party I would almost always call in that spot, but at 3-6 I would be pretty dependant on who's already in as to whether I call the PF raise... also, at 3-6 the $1 SB cuts down on your implied odds, unless the SB is really loose and coldcalls a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
I usually call this for an assumed 7.5:1 or so (not looking at the quiz anymore...but I think that's what it is) but it's not a sure thing for me, especially if one of the limpers has a history of limp-reraising or something like that.

But the more I think about it the more I am agreeing with the opinion that it really is 'pretty clear-cut' and that I've been too fold-happy with some of these.

Strangely.....shortly after taking the quiz I posted in the CO and got Q8s.
Limp, limp, raise right before me and I said 'Call Baby!!'
Of course, I had better position here then in the BB.

Also - I too would very much look forward to a quiz-book or cd-rom or whatever you come up with.

Equal 11-27-2004 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got 7/8.
I missed the question where we had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and we could either check the turn through or bet it against one player. I chose to take the free card, but I hadn't realized that "bluffing" (if you assume he hit a pair) is more attractive when the pot gets bigger, when you think there's a chance he may fold.
Thanks guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my result when taking the test. 7/8 missing only that one.

gibs 11-28-2004 12:33 AM

7/8, but I did just read his book today.

BeerMoney 11-28-2004 01:52 AM

Has there been any discussion of the article in CardPlayer which discusses a few of the quizzes in Ed's book?

MicroBob 11-28-2004 02:19 AM

wasn't aware of this article.

link please.

BeerMoney 11-28-2004 02:34 AM

Here you are, my friend.
CardPlayer Brier

Joe826 11-28-2004 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, on the KJ one, would it be correct to check the turn if you had AK instead, and you were vs. an aggressive player??

Yes, this is definitely right. It's especially true if your opponent might try a check-raise bluff. HPFAP talks a lot about checking hands like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the question I got wrong too. It really seems opposite to me. If I have KJ in that situation and have extra outs i'm gonna hate having to calling a turn C/R, so i'd check with my outs. If I had AK I could easily fold to a turn C/R (unless the player is a habitual bluffer, not likely at 2/4) since I just have overs that might not be good anyways.

Betting the turn with AK also works well for taking a free showdown. With KJ you're not really as concerned. True you might induce a bluff by checking the turn with AK, but it works both ways since villian might be on a draw and you'd miss a turn bet.. blah blah. Anyways, good quiz, but this looks like a place to check with outs. I should write a book [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

therockofgibraltar 11-28-2004 05:19 AM

yes! I got 8 correct: You're a poker champ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Beavis68 12-03-2004 04:47 PM

fossilboy is not yet a fossilman, I missed the last one.

I like how the guy hit the runner-runner flush, such added realism.