Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best NL HE player of all time? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=138320)

OrianasDaad 10-20-2004 01:20 PM

Best NL HE player of all time?

Just wanted to see who is regarded as the best ever no-limit Texas Hold 'em player.

I'll tally the responses and then I'll put up a poll with the top choices, if anyone is interested.

tylerdurden 10-20-2004 01:25 PM

Re: Best NL HE player of all time?

Duh, Phil Hellmuth. Just ask him.

PapaDeuce 10-20-2004 01:34 PM

of course there is no debate that stu unger was the best

Bernas 10-20-2004 02:01 PM

Well there could be a debate. He was one of the best.
I like Brunson for the consistency and longevity.

Justin A 10-20-2004 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course there is no debate that stu unger was the best

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is.

Justin A

betgo 10-20-2004 02:16 PM

Johny Moss.

augie00 10-20-2004 02:29 PM

Rob Varkoni. The man is brilliant.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-20-2004 02:35 PM

Well, Greg Raymer has the most WSOP earnings of all time, followed by Chris Moneymaker. There's your obvious numbers 1 and 2 right there.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-20-2004 02:35 PM

But for real, someone should mention Dan Harrington just for completeness.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-20-2004 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as I don't like to say it, he does have one helluva case for this title. 9 WSOP bracelets, all in hold'em, are very hard to argue with.

jedi 10-20-2004 03:06 PM

John F. Kennedy and it's not even close.

The stakes he was playing at were the highest ever.

TheGrifter 10-20-2004 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as I don't like to say it, he does have one helluva case for this title. 9 WSOP bracelets, all in hold'em, are very hard to argue with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody mentioned tournaments.

TheGrifter 10-20-2004 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to see who is regarded as the best ever no-limit Texas Hold 'em player.

I'll tally the responses and then I'll put up a poll with the top choices, if anyone is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably someone you've never heard of.

TheJackal 10-20-2004 03:49 PM

Based on results, it's probably Stu Ungar. But when he won, the fields were much smaller. Now it doesn't matter how much talent you have, you need to catch cards and win coinflips to win in these huge fields. I dont know how Stu Ungar would adjust if he was still alive today. I would have to say though that I think Phil Ivey is the best today and even if he never wins the WSOP, he will probably be regarded as the best in the next 5-10 years.

tripdad 10-20-2004 05:59 PM

if you are asking about tournament play, i agree that Stu Unger is widely considered to be the best ever.

as far as just "best hold'em player", it is most likely someone you've never heard of, as someone else mentioned. for "name" players, it is hard to argue against Doyle Brunson. he cleans up in the biggest cash games and has for so many years.

cheers!

dogmeat 10-20-2004 07:03 PM

Neither Phil Hellmuth, nor Stu Unger have /had proven themselves to be even decent NLHE cash+high stakes players. Fantastic tournament players, yes. Cash games, no.

FWIW my vote would be with Johhny Moss - then Doyle.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Asufiji2004 10-20-2004 07:26 PM

Tourney----Helmuth

Cash----Chan

Most big cash games are limit anyway. Still the 2 best IMO

Stormwolf 10-20-2004 08:21 PM

Doyle said on RGP that the best by far on tournaments was Ungar

patrick dicaprio 10-20-2004 08:45 PM

Re: I\'m Surprised no one mentioned.....

TJ Cloutier. what did he shoot someone's dog? as far as cash games go how do you go against brunson??

Pat

jomatty 10-20-2004 09:18 PM

i your gonna talk all around players, tournaments and cash games, i would have to think johnny chan or doyle brunson. Almost everyone else mentioned are tournament players. while helmuth can make a case (kinda)for tourny NL he would certainly be welcome at many cash games(the same could be said for ungar) Phil Iveys proven he can play high limit cash games but i think they rarely play NLHE. Johnny Moss obviously was great, but i think chan and brunson get my vote. No I take it back Prahlad friedman sp? (spirit rock) at least he playing the most and probably winning the most now.
matty

FrankLu99 10-20-2004 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ungar Brunson Jr - the great grandson of Phil Ivey, stu ungar, doyle brunson and phil hellmuth jr. Son of the 2nd best NL player Phil Brunson Senior.

duker41 10-20-2004 10:17 PM

I think it needs to be said that the highest games that Brunson, Reese, etc. play consist of multiple types of poker. Therefore, FWIW, I would pick Ungar. Won something like 1/3 of the major NLHE events he played in.

Bluff Daddy 10-21-2004 12:26 AM

Just wondering why they rarely play NLHE

Neil Stevens 10-21-2004 12:45 AM

The best tournament player, according to most everyone who saw him, seems to have been Stu Ungar.

Best living is probably Brunson.

morello 10-21-2004 02:38 AM

Frank Oberg. Easily.

He doesn't play many tournaments though, so most people don't know who he is.

jonjonmacky 10-21-2004 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Greg Raymer has the most WSOP earnings of all time, followed by Chris Moneymaker. There's your obvious numbers 1 and 2 right there.

[/ QUOTE ] You idiot

jonjonmacky 10-21-2004 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on results, it's probably Stu Ungar. But when he won, the fields were much smaller. Now it doesn't matter how much talent you have, you need to catch cards and win coinflips to win in these huge fields. I dont know how Stu Ungar would adjust if he was still alive today. I would have to say though that I think Phil Ivey is the best today and even if he never wins the WSOP, he will probably be regarded as the best in the next 5-10 years.

[/ QUOTE ] completly true but the smaller fields were also more highly skilled.

Bolivia 10-21-2004 12:47 PM

"Tourney----Helmuth, Cash----Chan Most big cash games are limit anyway. Still the 2 best IMO" ---Asufiji2004

You've obviously been watching too much "Rounders".....

anyway, from what I hear (coming from reliable sources too) Chau Giang has been the biggest, most consistent winner in the big cash games at the bellagio ($1k/$2k and up)for at least the last 5 years. In addition, I hear that lately Doyle is considered to be the edge in the game for the great young players who've recently jumped into that game (i.e. Negreanu, Ivey, etc.)

As far as tournamant play goes, my vote goes to Negreanu. In fact even though it is still relatively early in Negreanu's ascent within the ranks of poker (meaning 1 or 2 years of stardom may be too little to fairly base the title of "best ever") I honestly believe he stands a great chance of walking away with "best to ever live" title in the years to come.

That's just my vote, but then again what do I know.

Sundevils21 10-21-2004 12:51 PM

the fact that you thought he was serious makes you look like an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Bernas 10-21-2004 01:19 PM

I don't believe that. Because of the internet there are more skilled players in the field. Just because you aren't a pro doesn't mean you aren't skilled. Back then, you needed the Bankroll to enter into these tournaments. Not always the case anymore.

Bernas 10-21-2004 01:20 PM

Brunson or Forest.

Subfallen 10-21-2004 03:29 PM

Spirit Rock

Asufiji2004 10-21-2004 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Tourney----Helmuth, Cash----Chan Most big cash games are limit anyway. Still the 2 best IMO" ---Asufiji2004

You've obviously been watching too much "Rounders".....

anyway, from what I hear (coming from reliable sources too) Chau Giang has been the biggest, most consistent winner in the big cash games at the bellagio ($1k/$2k and up)for at least the last 5 years. In addition, I hear that lately Doyle is considered to be the edge in the game for the great young players who've recently jumped into that game (i.e. Negreanu, Ivey, etc.)

As far as tournamant play goes, my vote goes to Negreanu. In fact even though it is still relatively early in Negreanu's ascent within the ranks of poker (meaning 1 or 2 years of stardom may be too little to fairly base the title of "best ever") I honestly believe he stands a great chance of walking away with "best to ever live" title in the years to come.

That's just my vote, but then again what do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not much, considering the "big game" is a limit game and the question pertained to NL HE. You even managed to get that wrong considering that it is widely known that Barry Greenstein has made more money in the last decade playing cards than anybody. Yes Chan is great only cause he appears in the movie rounders. You are absolutely right, probably has nothing to do with winning back to back WSOP and coming in 2nd the next year to the greatest of all!!!!......Phil my Dog.

Ray Zee 10-21-2004 11:58 PM

except for those that have sufaced in the last few years. i have played with all the greats. i am not talking tournaments as that is a different game. and results are not based on playing ability. and have big flucuations.

doyle
sailor roberts
bobby hoff
slim
bobby baldwin
jay heimowitz
donachea oday
reluctantly stu unger as he lost most times he played
tommy hufnagle
dan harrington
james roy (goodie)

this is an all time partial list. not who is currently in vogue.

nothumb 10-22-2004 01:46 AM

Ben Affleck. He's world class.

NT

theBruiser500 10-22-2004 02:03 AM

ray zee, should you be on your list?

Daliman 10-22-2004 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm Detectors on sale! ONLY $3995.95!

Sponger15SB 10-22-2004 04:49 AM

From cardplayer:

2001 Players Poll — Part II (Live-Action Play)
by Jeff Shulman

During this year’s World Series of Poker, I gave approximately 60 people who are highly regarded players a questionnaire to fill out regarding who they think is the best in various categories. This is Part II, live-action play. Have fun reading the results.

Who is the best no-limit hold'em live-action player?

1. Tony D
2. Doyle Brunson
3. Erik Seidel
4. Bobby Hoff
5. Johnny Chan
6. Carl McKelvey
7. Howard Lederer

What do you have to say about this list.

I would be an idiot to say you don't know what you're talking about, but maybe you overlooked some deserving people?

Mason Malmuth 10-22-2004 05:14 AM

Hi Sponger:

No limit hold 'em is a game that was essentially dead for many years. So going to most active players and asking them who the best no limit live action players are should produce results that have very little meaning.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth 10-22-2004 05:17 AM

Hi Bruiser:

Yes. Ray should be on the list.

Best wishes,
Mason