Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Flopped Set in SB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=136633)

Soul Daddy 10-16-2004 04:52 AM

Flopped Set in SB

Been lurking for a few days. 1st post. Look forward to any insights you might have for improving my play.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

River: (13 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

bisonbison 10-16-2004 04:57 AM

Re: Flopped Set in SB

I'd bet the flop. Given that you didn't, the rest looks fine.

Ajax410 10-16-2004 05:48 AM

It's a marginal call preflop - but some people have different standards for calling out of the SB - personally, I don't with small unsuited one gappers - not sure how many posters here do.

You should bet the flop - other than that, this hand is pretty good. The river card sucks - but that's poker.

Chris Daddy Cool 10-16-2004 07:45 AM

i'd bet the flop myself, otherwise the rest looks fine.

btw, the correct term for the hand you have here is trips, not a set.

Soul Daddy 10-16-2004 04:26 PM

I see. So trips is when you match a pair on the board and a set is when the board matches your PP? I did not know that. That's some weird, wild stuff.

What is the reason for betting the flop as opposed to CR? Just curious. Thanks for the comments.

DMBFan23 10-16-2004 04:39 PM

betting does a couple of things:

1) (my favorite) it tells your opponents "I do not have a 7"
2) it makes sure gutshot straight draws and backdoor flush draws don't get a free card
3) it gets money into the pot with the best hand

a checkraise accomplishes 3 just fine, but you don't want to take the (small) risk that it gets checked around - people are more likely to check through a scary flop like this, but they'll call with as little as one overcard.

welcome to the boards [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Soul Daddy 10-16-2004 06:07 PM

Results

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 7d 9h (three of a kind, sevens).
BB has 6c 2s (straight, seven high).
Button has 6s 3d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: Button wins 9.50 BB. BB wins 9.50 BB. </font>

TheHip41 10-16-2004 06:13 PM

Fold preflop, you save lots of chips that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gatts 10-16-2004 06:31 PM

Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 7d 9h (three of a kind, sevens).
BB has 6c 2s (straight, seven high).
Button has 6s 3d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: Button wins 9.50 BB. BB wins 9.50 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

At these guys to your buddy list.

cab4656 10-16-2004 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, you save lots of chips that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

11:1? Has anyone ever calculated the odds of flopping an OESD with a one-gapper that can make three straights? I'm sure someone has, but this is something I have never even thought about.

Ajax410 10-16-2004 07:04 PM

I have no idea what the odds are - nor do I really know how to calculate them - but I can't imagine this is a money making endeavor. For those of you who are math inclined - I'd love to hear if calling with an offsuited one gapper getting 11:1 (a little less because of the rake) is a worthwhile play.

Ajax

eagletmr 10-16-2004 07:39 PM

Not being a dick but just so someone isn't too you later, you flopped "trips" a set is when two are in your hand. But besides that, I would continue to play against these guys from the results, but I wouldn't have played the hand preflop, just don't think an offsuit one gapper is at all profitable even for half a small bet. As Lee Jones once said in a cardplayer article, when you call from the small blind, the dealer deals the flop and then everyone looks at you. First to act. Not a good position to be in. Play tight up front!

Soul Daddy 10-16-2004 08:10 PM

CDC beat you to the punch, but thanks for the info.

Agreed, I probably should not have been in the pot. I'm curious what are the minimum hands you guys would play in this situation? What about with fewer limpers?

radek2166 10-16-2004 09:20 PM

Ur fine being in the pot. Might want to check down after all the betting on the flop. thats all

For the price it cost to get in the hand u were right to play it.

Your money is going to come when you hit a stright, trips fh or quads. The biggest problem I have when I complete from the SB is not letting go when I should. IE I get K5s in the sb I complete I catch the 5 or a gs st. Then I get myself in trouble.

1 Thing I have not looked at is how many people are in the pot. That is a big factor to me of which hands I complete with.

Gets to me in the Sb with 8 allready in I will play any 2cards. Sooted unsooted dont matter. i figure when I hit my hand on the flop I am going to get paid.