Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The best video game of all time for a console (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=114618)

jagoff 08-19-2004 11:04 AM

The best video game of all time for a console

I am gonna go out on a limb and say Golden Eye for the N64! Bring the heat boys!

nicky g 08-19-2004 11:06 AM

Re: The best video game of all time for a console

Hard to beat. GTA3 when it first came out on PS2 seemed completely amazing. But it hasn't aged so well.

WC64 08-19-2004 11:54 AM

I would agree when GTA3 first came out it seemed like the greatest thing and was really hard to find.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 12:01 PM

GTA:VC smashed GTA3, and I expect GTA:SA to be even better.

I will second Goldeneye..... I am not sure I spent more time playing a game than this one.... close second in Mario Kart 64, which was better than Mario Kart!!!!!

But overall best game??? hmmm thats simply to hard to call, Zelda was simply awesome, so were all the Marios.

Utah 08-19-2004 12:02 PM

ESPN football for XBOX. The graphics are unreal and the gameplay is the best of any football game ever.

nicky g 08-19-2004 12:05 PM

"GTA:VC smashed GTA3"

No way dude. I mean yeah it was a better game, but it was just the same kind of thing in a different city. When GTA3 came out it was the most exciting game ever. When VC came out it was just a fine sequel to the original; nothing to get over-excited about.

Gamblor 08-19-2004 12:05 PM

For the Gun Control crowd

NHL 95 on Super Nintendo.

The gameplay was incredible, the cheap auto-score-every-time move was gone, and they brought fights back.

Victor 08-19-2004 12:14 PM

Word.......Kart 64 was sweet

If it wasnt for poker I would probably still be doint time trials.

kerssens 08-19-2004 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN football for XBOX. The graphics are unreal and the gameplay is the best of any football game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madden beats the hell out of ESPN...not even close

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 12:17 PM

the shock value may have wore off from GTA3 to VC, but VC was a much better game. It had more depth, new vehicles, buying property, more gangs... and way bigger. I agree that GTA3 was a total blast to play, but it only got better IMO with VC. There both classics in my book, so I suppose we are simply arguing over preference, so whatever [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

kerssens 08-19-2004 12:17 PM

Re: For the Gun Control crowd

[ QUOTE ]
NHL 95 on Super Nintendo

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one where after you knocked the guy out there was a little pool of blood on the ice?

Lumpy 08-19-2004 12:25 PM

SpeedBall 2 on Sega Genesis. Still play to this day with a Genesis emulator. Highly addicting.

nicky g 08-19-2004 12:31 PM

"SpeedBall 2 on Sega Genesis. Still play to this day with a Genesis emulator. Highly addicting. "

Man I forgot about that. I only ever played this on Amiga so it doesn't strictly count, but yes, the greatest game of all time, especially if you are grading it by the competition of the era.

vulturesrow 08-19-2004 12:34 PM

Everyone here is wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] While I applaud your choices and in fact think many of them are very very good, the clear choice is Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1. Of course being a nit like me greatly enhances your enjoyment since it has many aspects of gameplay that are rewarded by nittiness.

Chris

jwvdcw 08-19-2004 12:37 PM

TECMO SUPER BOWL

kerssens 08-19-2004 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TECMO SUPER BOWL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!!! I think it was Tecmo Super Bowl III where you could create players and improve them and there was an offseason, that one was my favorice.....Also the original Tecmo Bowl where you could dominate with Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen or just wreck everything with Lawrence Taylor

RoodyPooh 08-19-2004 12:46 PM

Xbox Halo Multi-player, not even close. I've wasted well over 4,000 hours playing this game and am not tired of it. It's like lightning quick chess.

Gamblor 08-19-2004 12:46 PM

Re: For the Gun Control crowd

That was '93 (and immortalized in the movie Swingers)

But there was a move where you skated around the net that would score 100% of the time because there was no goalie control.

So the game is disqualified.

Other than those two minor details, the game remained virtually unchanged over 3 years, except for graphics enhancements.

Taxman 08-19-2004 01:01 PM

no votes for Halo?

While Golden Eye was an excellent game, I'd deffinately take Halo over it now. Halo 2 should be the shiznat.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:02 PM

the second one is sweet man!!!

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:05 PM

Re: no votes for Halo?

of course Halo is better than Goldeneye, but without Goldeneye, there would have never been a Halo.... Goldeneye is the mold from which all other console FPS must follow. Halo took it to another level, but Bond was fuckin sick man!!!! The multi was awesome especially against other people who were really good. I could play Stack forever.....

wayabvpar 08-19-2004 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Xbox Halo Multi-player, not even close. I've wasted well over 4,000 hours playing this game and am not tired of it. It's like lightning quick chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am the only Xbox owner on the planet who HATES Halo. I bought it, played for 20 minutes, and have never looked at it again. I have been playing FPS on PCs since the early 90s...going from aiming with a mouse to aiming with a thumbpad is like driving a Ferrari and switching to a 1972 Chevy Impala. The handling just ain't the same.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:07 PM

you must not have opposable thumbs, because its not that hard to get use to. PC FPS are to easy because of that damn mouse!!! But your right, they are better, LOL.

wayabvpar 08-19-2004 01:09 PM

Yeah, I try to get by with my prehensile tail to compensate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:11 PM

LOL, I had to look "prehensile" up.... so whats that like having one? Handy?

Taxman 08-19-2004 01:13 PM

Stack was a pretty sweet level. IMHO however, best game means best game. Most influential game is a whole nother can of worms and Goldeneye is high on that list to be sure.

nolanfan34 08-19-2004 01:20 PM

I don't know about best, but Baseball Stars on Nintendo was my alltime favorite.

My brother and I spent HOURS playing against the all-female team, to get lots of cash to build up our players. I would always create a team with my fantasy players, and max them all out at 95-97 points. Ah, wasted youth.

On Super Nintendo, I'll take Street Fighter II anyday.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:23 PM

yeah but games always get better though graphically and game play wise, but essentially Halo is a newer version of Goldeneye, and Goldeneye was a newer version of Doom. I still think Goldeneye might be one of the best games ever.

TenPercenter 08-19-2004 01:29 PM

Re: Yar\'s Revenge on the Atari 2600 :) n/m

RoodyPooh 08-19-2004 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course Halo is better than Goldeneye, but without Goldeneye, there would have never been a Halo.... Goldeneye is the mold from which all other console FPS must follow. Halo took it to another level, but Bond was fuckin sick man!!!! The multi was awesome especially against other people who were really good. I could play Stack forever.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... Stack was great, but I prefer Complex [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:37 PM

oh [censored], I forgot out Temple.... that was the [censored], especially with grenade launchers and proximity mines. I was the king with the grenade launchers, I would bounce those fuckers off three walls and blow yo ass up!!!

kerssens 08-19-2004 01:39 PM

I didn't really know you when that game was out but you can be sure that I would have torn you to pieces...any battle level you choose [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 01:51 PM

IT'S ON, I WILL [censored] YOU UP!!!!!

kerssens 08-19-2004 01:52 PM

The Large Hawaiian was pretty good too

Taxman 08-19-2004 01:53 PM

Man I hated proxy mines. It's all about pistols on liscence to kill

kerssens 08-19-2004 01:55 PM

I had more fun finding a good spot to snipe or just blow [censored] up with the rocket launcher

TylerD 08-19-2004 01:58 PM

...will be Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, its going to be awesome - bring on October 22nd.

KingMarc 08-19-2004 02:01 PM

I vote for all the Tom Clancy games..Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six..all of them are amazing.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 02:02 PM

I eat large hawaiians all the time, he can bring the ruckus too.

I am a man on a mission with the grenade launcher, nothing stops me. I also liked the license to kill pistols as well. I was deadly man..... still am in fact.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2004 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I hated proxy mines.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, you must have been playing against someone who knew what they were doing.... I use to hide those things hella good.....