Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=107064)

Tyler Durden 07-27-2004 09:10 PM

Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN

Anyone else watching this event? Jeena Burnett was pretty annoying when she was chanting "no heart, no heart" but you have to admit, she's pretty hot, esp. for a poker player.

The more I see of Annie Duke the more I hate her.

GoSox 07-27-2004 09:15 PM

Re: Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN

Quote " you look at Annie Duke and see a beautiful woman"

I don't think I have ever had that many beers, how'd the cameraman keep a straight face on that one.

holman3rd 07-27-2004 09:27 PM

Is it me or does Annie Duke have a major chip (pun intented) on her shoulder? Her elitest and condescending comments re: the ladies tourney solidified my dislike for her. Perhaps the REAL reason she didn't play in the ladies tourney is that she was too scared of not winning it and being humiliated. I don't care how good of a player she is, she needs to start showing some class instead of acting like white trash. If she wasn't Howard Lederer's sister, I wonder how much airtime she'd get.

Nice outfit, though---LOL. Extreme makeover, anyone?

kyro 07-27-2004 09:38 PM

i felt the same way. my mom thinks the real reason she didn't enter was the prize was so meager it wasn't worth it, but she really came across sounding like a bitch.

West 07-27-2004 09:41 PM

The hand that I thought was interesting was when Chip Jett's wife had a pair of sevens on the flop against the other womans K3 (board was low cards, nothing higher than a 9 I think, 7 was second high), and gave her this obnoxious smirking staredown. Can't remember if the other woman had bet and then was raised, or if Jett's wife just bet it, but either way, the other woman raised her with just her K high, then hit runner runner flush on her. Maybe if Jett's wife hadn't tried the intimidation stare, she might have folded? Maybe not, have to see it again.

ohgeetee 07-27-2004 10:01 PM

So full of herself. Definitely solidifies the dislike.

Harman, Violett, and others so much more humble and more deserving of the spotlight.

jwvdcw 07-27-2004 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i felt the same way. my mom thinks the real reason she didn't enter was the prize was so meager it wasn't worth it, but she really came across sounding like a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely think thats why she didn't play...just not worth her tim.e

Nottom 07-28-2004 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In her defense, she was winning a bracelet in the Omaha 8/b event during the Ladies Hold'em tourney.

Nagoo81 07-28-2004 12:23 AM

I tried to watch as objectively as possible, but there were some pretty ridiculous moments at that final table.

Was it just me, or was everyone very catty towards each other? Little to no handshaking, no respect amongst each other, etc. Vicious staredowns also. It all seemed very immature, really. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Dominic 07-28-2004 12:30 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would've much rather watched the Omaha Hi-Lo tourney instead of the bush (pun intended) league play of the "Ladies Tournament." If I want to see obnoxious Asian women being bitchy while playing poker, I'll just go to The Bike.

ESPN dropped the ball in not showing the REAL tourney going on at the same time. Waste of air-time.

chesspain 07-28-2004 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The more I see of Annie Duke the more I hate her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the video stream previously posted here where Annie was being interviewed by a Brit journalist right after she busted out of the main event? She apparently pushed all-in on a bluff and was called by a marginally better hand, and she more than once whined something like: "it would have worked against a good player...but he wasn't a good player to call that bet..."

What a biitch!

AtlBrvs4Life 07-28-2004 12:49 AM

I saw that interview. If it would have worked against a "good" player and not an amateur, then it is her fault for making that play on an amateur.

ohgeetee 07-28-2004 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would've much rather watched the Omaha Hi-Lo tourney instead of the bush (pun intended) league play of the "Ladies Tournament." If I want to see obnoxious Asian women being bitchy while playing poker, I'll just go to The Bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA, quote of the day!

ohgeetee 07-28-2004 01:07 AM

Funniest part about this story is the fact that he is a pretty decent canadian pro. she talked like he was straight out of an "online poker is rigged" thread from RGP.

The way her and hellmuth go downt heir bulletted lists of what "deals" they have in the works just comes off as so tacky. When you compare her interviews and hellmuth's interviews with people like jen harman, cindy violette, phil gordon, daniel negreanu, howard lederer, etc. there is just so much difference between them. I guess its like comparing Barry Sanders to Deion Sanders and how they represented football.

Zinzan 07-28-2004 01:25 AM

I was more interested in the Omaha Hi/Lo, but I think ESPN got the next best thing to having Duke, Harmon, Ng, Cyclone, etc in the ladies tournament--they got Annie Duke winning her first bracelet at the same time the women's cat fight was going on.

I was amazed at the hands the ladies played with six or seven players still in there. And they would almost always call second/third pair to the river. Maybe that is the correct play at that level--I don't know. I'm not there yet.

Z

dm34 07-28-2004 09:04 AM

The play, as a whole, was horrendous.

holman3rd 07-28-2004 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In her defense, she was winning a bracelet in the Omaha 8/b event during the Ladies Hold'em tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, and it's certainly her prerogative to play in whichever tournies she chooses. I just think that her explanation for not playing in the ladies tourney was delivered in a way that makes her seem insecure and patronizing. Most people that are truly successful in something and DO NOT feel insecure, don't need to constantly trumpet their resume to whomever will listen.

ohkanada 07-28-2004 10:15 AM

Why should Annie or any of the best women in the world play in a womens only tourney when they are clearly good enough to compete and win in a regular event.

I am not even clear why they need a womens only event. Can you imagine if they decided to have a mens only event!

Ken

TomCollins 07-28-2004 10:36 AM

If you replace hot with dirty and trashy, you have a very accurate description.

nolanfan34 07-28-2004 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The play, as a whole, was horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. Maybe my signal was bad, but I swear I saw one of the final two ladies playing a 72o, and calling all the way down to the river with "top pair". Then telling the other player that she got lucky to beat her!

And as much as it would have been cool to see the O8 H/L tourney, there's no way they could air that on TV and have Lon and Norman explain it coheriently.

nolanfan34 07-28-2004 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is, what's Daryn's call on the Hot or Not topic?

playerfl 07-28-2004 10:51 AM

There are two big problems with this which is why I didn't bother to watch:

1. the whole idea of a "ladies" tournement is BS, this isn't a physical sport, its a freakin card game, lets get real. No need for seperate womens events.

2. Its a limit tourny. I would rather play bingo than play a limit tourny and there is about that much skill involved.

TomCollins 07-28-2004 11:10 AM

The real reason is $$$. There is no money in that tournament. I could host a Ladies only tournament in my apartment, and I guarantee she won't come. Not because of sexism. She just didn't want to sound like a snobby btch

TomCollins 07-28-2004 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a straight draw!

[/ QUOTE ] I think I'm gonna squint my eyes and put on a dress and try this line.

jwvdcw 07-28-2004 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should Annie or any of the best women in the world play in a womens only tourney when they are clearly good enough to compete and win in a regular event.

I am not even clear why they need a womens only event. Can you imagine if they decided to have a mens only event!

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..its not like its a normal sport where men have a natural stength and athletic advantage.

jwvdcw 07-28-2004 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two big problems with this which is why I didn't bother to watch:

1. the whole idea of a "ladies" tournement is BS, this isn't a physical sport, its a freakin card game, lets get real. No need for seperate womens events.

2. Its a limit tourny. I would rather play bingo than play a limit tourny and there is about that much skill involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your second point is ridiculous. You can learn much more watching good pros play limit than watching a bunch of all ins preflop. No skill? Absurd. Howard Lederer won the PartyPoker Million I. The WPT that was limit this season had several solid pros at the final table.

eMarkM 07-28-2004 11:58 AM

Well, it gave them a chance to show some half way decent looking poker players, I guess. Style over substance. If only Evelyn Ng and Clonie whats-her-face were there with Ms Jett, the asian woman who won, and the blonde with the linebacker husband.

They're not showing any hi/lo events at all. Maybe split pots are too boring. They didn't even make a half hearted attempt to explain how the game is played to the average viewer, so they're probably not showing them because they think the rules are too complicated for Joe Six-Pack to comprehend.

Dominic 07-28-2004 12:04 PM

Everytime I see Annie Duke, I want to throw in in a hot tub and scrub her down real good, then give her fifty bucks so she can visit something I'm sure she's never seen in her whole life: A beauty salon.

ohgeetee 07-28-2004 12:04 PM

I don't think the reasoning is in question at all. if you have two options, you pick the most profitable, of course. When you pick an option though, berating the option you didnt pick and sounding like a complete obnoxious bitch in the proccess is just unneccessary.

jedi 07-28-2004 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..its not like its a normal sport where men have a natural stength and athletic advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it is a game where women are woefully underrepresented. Of course, that begs the question... Why do they have Seniors only events?

Richie Rich 07-28-2004 12:18 PM

The way she dresses like a teenage-grunge-drama-queen, sitting with her legs curled up in the chair, chatting away about nonsense in her girly dolphin-like voice, smiling for the camera with those dull, ugly yellow teeth...

I'm gonna puke.

LeapingGnome 07-28-2004 12:20 PM

I agree. They didn't even show some of the hands on camera when they were at the table, much less put up the normal graphics depicting the hands and percentages. I bet if a woman hadn't won that tournament we wouldn't have even seen it or the ladies event on TV.

mrbaseball 07-28-2004 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WPT that was limit this season had several solid pros at the final table

[/ QUOTE ]

That was easily the strongest (professionalwise) table we have seen this season. Limit requires good postflop play and will cause the cream to rise to the top. Of limit, pot limit and no limit tournaments I think the lucky fish has he best chance at no limit.

Cleveland Guy 07-28-2004 12:26 PM

My big pet peeve with this is the chip count.

How few chips did they get to start?

the "Chip Leader" had 40,000??

2 people at the final table had under 5,000????

Either there were very few ladies in it, or something is wrong here.

Ghazban 07-28-2004 12:31 PM

So far, the coverage of the entire WSOP this year has been pretty dreadful. Its great that they're showing events other than the big one, but they try to cram a 9-person final table into an hour so you see absolutely nothing except hands where people get knocked out (plus all that peripheral garbage from "The Nuts" section). The WPT pacing of a 6-person final table that lasts 2 hours is much much better from that standpoint. For a (semi-)serious poker player, these shows are barely even watchable as you don't see much playing-- just pushing chips all-in and watching the cards fall.

fsuplayer 07-28-2004 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all know the answer, but its a funny reference nonetheless...well played.

fsuplayer

fsuplayer 07-28-2004 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a straight draw!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'm gonna squint my eyes and put on a dress and try this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

Nottom 07-28-2004 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No skill? Absurd. Howard Lederer won the PartyPoker Million I. The WPT that was limit this season had several solid pros at the final table

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Kathy Leibert won the first Party million. Howard won the second. But I have to agree that when you start with 500+ people and the final table has Scotty Nguyen, Barry Greenstein, Daniel Negreanu, and Erick Lindgren you would be foolish to say its all luck.

daryn 07-28-2004 01:20 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which one was she? i dig that asian broad.. you know the one, haha

coolhandtom 07-28-2004 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way she dresses like a teenage-grunge-drama-queen, sitting with her legs curled up in the chair, chatting away about nonsense in her girly dolphin-like voice, smiling for the camera with those dull, ugly yellow teeth...

I'm gonna puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe this to be the quote of the day. glad i am not the only one that noticed miss "im the sh_t who can forgo a womens tourni cuz i am scared to lose" can't even afford to go to target and buy some CREST WHITE STRIPS before she goes on national television in her grungy 13 year old girl outfit..
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
if she really was after a bracelet and not the money, she SHOULD have played the womens game, where she SHOULD have been the easy favorite to win.. but we know why she didnt..
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
and the 'bulletted' response about her budding career choices as was previously mentioned, that is so so tacky. give me a break. so classless. howard tought her poker, he needs to teach her how to dress, brush her teeth, and act with professionalism. they are such a contrast to each other. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]