Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What 2 seconds would you change? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377855)

JihadOnTheRiver 11-13-2005 11:26 PM

What 2 seconds would you change?

Hey guys, I read this forum often, but don't post so if this has been done before just ignore.

I keep seeing that new Gatorade commercial where they change 2 seconds of sports history. Its an awesome commercial. Jordan misses his famous jumper/fade-away, Jeters wicked flip to home misses and the guy's safe, and Montana's TD throw goes long.

I was thinking about which specific MOMENT in sports I would change. Not the whole play, not the whole game, not the whole week or year. Just 2 seconds. 2 seconds that would change the base of your fanatacism for a particular player, team, or sport. Maybe something that happened within your own sports playing past. Its an interesting concept, and I have no idea what is important enough to me to change.

I think that if anything it would be a personal moment for me. I would stop at repetition 9 of a 10 rep set of overhead dumbell presses with 80 lb. dummys my freshman year at the academy. The 10th rep ended with my right arm pointed the wrong way and turned me into a sports fan instead of player.

Ideas?

Jack of Arcades 11-13-2005 11:29 PM

Re: What 2 seconds would you change?

http://new-york-yankees.visit-new-yo...ny-yankees.jpg

youtalkfunny 11-13-2005 11:30 PM

Bill Bucker scoops it up, AND Mookie trips coming out of the box.

TheRover 11-13-2005 11:30 PM

The Alex Gonzalez Play.

Clarkmeister 11-13-2005 11:31 PM

I think all Cardinal, Red Sox and Bills fans have obvious choices. Titans, Rams, Panthers and Sacramento Kings fans also have some options.

imported_CaseClosed326 11-13-2005 11:33 PM

I am only 19 so I really don't have a ton of historical knowledge that I can draw from. But this is a very cool question so I will give it a go.

I can't really think of something for the Bears so the second thing that comes to mind would be the whole "bartman" thing for the cubs. Make that couple of seconds end up with an out and things go differently for the Cubs.

JihadOnTheRiver 11-13-2005 11:33 PM

I am both a Kings and Rams fan [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

lastchance 11-13-2005 11:34 PM

Hasselbeck gets picked in the NFC Wild Card game by Harris two years back.

Clarkmeister 11-13-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make that couple of seconds end up with an out and things go differently for the Cubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a young Cub fan could think this. Any old Cub fan knows that things would've still gone wrong somehow.

imported_CaseClosed326 11-13-2005 11:35 PM

I am sure the Spurs fans would like to change that last half second shot against them.

11-13-2005 11:41 PM

The Boston College Field goal that beat Notre Dame 41-39 back in 1993. David Gordon grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Russ McGinley 11-13-2005 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really think of something for the Bears

[/ QUOTE ]

With the 22nd pick in the 2003 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Willis McGahee, running back, Miami.

imported_CaseClosed326 11-13-2005 11:58 PM

Well if we are changing old Bears draft picks we could go on all night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Russ McGinley 11-14-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if we are changing old Bears draft picks we could go on all night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, change the year and the player for just about every draft in the 90's.

James282 11-14-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't really think of something for the Bears

[/ QUOTE ]

With the 22nd pick in the 2003 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Willis McGahee, running back, Miami.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Larry Johnson, or Chris Brown, or Domanick Davis(I wish the Steelrs took McGaheebecause Polamalu could have slipped)!
-James

11-14-2005 12:17 AM

Bears hire Dave Wannstedt to replace Ditka.

Dolphins and Pitt fans can use this as well.

11-14-2005 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Bucker scoops it up, AND Mookie trips coming out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Mets win in 11.

CD56 11-14-2005 12:33 AM

scott norwood drinks some gatorade, comes in, puts it through, BILLS WIN!!!

shayneon 11-14-2005 12:35 AM

Steve Young to T.O. on the last play of the game to knock the Packers out of the playoffs in 1999. The Packers should have gone to their third straight Super Bowl that year.

TheNoodleMan 11-14-2005 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Make that couple of seconds end up with an out and things go differently for the Cubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a young Cub fan could think this. Any old Cub fan knows that things would've still gone wrong somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]
And any real baseball fan knows that the error by Alex Gonzalez was much more costly than the Bartman foul ball.

Clarkmeister 11-14-2005 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And any real baseball fan knows that the error by Alex Gonzalez was much more costly than the Bartman foul ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rules out the Cub fans.

TheRover 11-14-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That rules out the Cub fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! C'mon, I posted it.

Dudd 11-14-2005 01:13 AM

Hmm, none of my teams really have had too much heartbreak, so I'll look to this years USC-ND game. Choose either the Jarrett catch or the Leinart fumble, take your pick.

jdl22 11-14-2005 01:56 AM

This is a tough one. I'm from Oregon, went to the University of Oregon. My mom's family is from San Francisco so other than the NBA I go for the SF teams.

Here are options:
- Portland would have picked Jordan instead of Bowie
- Portland wouldn't have choked against the Lakers in Western Conference Finals (early 2000 and the other in the late 80s/early 90s where magic rolled the ball down the court at the very end)
- Giants would have gotten an out before giving up 3 in the 8th inning of the 2002 world series
- Oregon would have gotten a punt off against Stanford in 2000 or would have gotten the onside kick Stanford made.
- a play here or there in NFC championship games could have put the 49ers in a couple more super bowls

I'd probably go with the Giants.

My grandparents would probably go with "Why couldn't McCovey have hit the ball just three feet higher?" (slight hijack, anybody know where I could find this strip online?)

imported_CaseClosed326 11-14-2005 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, none of my teams really have had too much heartbreak, so I'll look to this years USC-ND game. Choose either the Jarrett catch or the Leinart fumble, take your pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I change my answer to this. I was on the phone with a friend of mine during 4th and 9. We had been ND fans for forever and this was so very painful. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

Guy Incognito 11-14-2005 02:00 AM

UGA football is the only one of my teams that I haven't witnessed a championship from, so... I'd have to say Terrance Edwards dropping that pass against UF in the 4th quarter that likely would have set up the game-tying TD (a stretch, I know).

Clarkmeister 11-14-2005 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I change my answer to this. I was on the phone with a friend of mine during 4th and 9. We had been ND fans for forever and this was so very painful. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could an ND fan for "forever" pick this over the BC game?

imported_CaseClosed326 11-14-2005 02:04 AM

I am 19, forever is not very long.

edit: they would have lost against USC anyway that year.

Clarkmeister 11-14-2005 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it like this. Pretend ND had beat USC and gotten ranked #1. Now, move the MSU game from early in the year, to the last week of the season, stopping ND from being in the BCS title game.

That's what happened as ND beat the highly touted FSU Charlie Ward juggernaut, then lost the hearbreaker at the end of the year to BC to knock them out of the title game, as they watched FSU go on to play for the title.

Dudd 11-14-2005 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it like this. Pretend ND had beat USC and gotten ranked #1. Now, move the MSU game from early in the year, to the last week of the season, stopping ND from being in the BCS title game.

That's what happened as ND beat the highly touted FSU Charlie Ward juggernaut, then lost the hearbreaker at the end of the year to BC to knock them out of the title game, as they watched FSU go on to play for the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definately a much more devastating loss, but at the time, I was 8 and didn't care. This year, I was on the 20 yard line almost directly across from the 4th and 9 play, so it obviously hurt a lot more.

imported_CaseClosed326 11-14-2005 02:16 AM

Ok, thought you were thinking of 2002. And "forever" is a big time exageration. As long as I have been into football is probably better.

IHateKeithSmart 11-14-2005 03:25 AM

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_p...smart-shot.jpg

TheNoodleMan 11-14-2005 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_p...smart-shot.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
It will never change! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thatpfunk 11-14-2005 04:04 AM

Either Roger Craig does not fumble or Montana is not injured vs NYG in the '90 NFC Chamiponship game. They would have become the first team to threepeat the Super Bowl.

11-14-2005 04:12 AM

The entire top of the 8th inning of game 6 of the 03 NLCS. Every play that wasn't an out was the result of incompetence on someone's behalf (total of at least three people)...
Pick any 2 seconds you want in that entire half inning.

Bears losing that one game in 85 is second

Bears draft busts are third...

(removing gretsky is fourth--cause the blackhawks would have won several stanley cups in the 80's...)

bugstud 11-14-2005 04:22 AM

wirtz is never born?

Punker 11-14-2005 04:27 AM

There are a lot of interesting questions to me posted here, but this one is simple. Steve Smith doesn't dump it in his own net in 1985, costing the Oilers 5 straight Stanley cups.

Victor 11-14-2005 05:25 AM

def jordans punkass making that shot against the cavs.

Victor 11-14-2005 05:30 AM

another game is when osu lost to msu on the last play when they were stacked with galloway, george, dudley, hoying and a sick d to boot.

look at the draft that year to realize how sick taht team was.

Victor 11-14-2005 05:31 AM

how about six different plays in the 97 world series with indians against [censored] marlins.

you know what, [censored] this thread for bringin up all these moments. im goin back to hush. die.