Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Are you a fox or a hedgehog? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381314)

11-18-2005 11:39 PM

Are you a fox or a hedgehog?

[The fox devises many strategies; the hedgehog only knows one, but he uses it very effectively.] SuperSystem II

A fox is a person who plays multiple games. They enjoy playing all types of poker. A hedgehog is someone who specializes in one type of game. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. An advantage in being a hedgehog is that someone can become great at the one game they play and win consistently. In contrast, a fox can always get in an easy game because he knows so many types of poker.

The question boils down to... What are you? A fox or a hedgehog?

einbert 11-19-2005 04:28 AM

Re: Are you a fox or a hedgehog?

I'm more like a mongoose really.

andyfox 11-19-2005 01:36 PM

Take a guess. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TomBrooks 11-19-2005 03:06 PM

Hedgehog for the most part. But I've only been playing poker for a little over a year.

11-19-2005 04:30 PM

Fox.

11-19-2005 05:06 PM

im a fox

darkcore 11-19-2005 10:41 PM

fox. whenever i get bored or have a major downswing i focus on another poker game and try to improve...

glen 11-19-2005 10:46 PM

a hedgehog? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

. . .oops i forgot about the badugi and crazy fox hustling on the side. . .

Matt Williams 11-19-2005 10:48 PM

That reminds me...
I was at the bar the other night and this chick came up to me. She said, "Boy, you are really a fox aren't ya?"
I replied, "Actually, no I'm a hedgehog!"
She found this to be odd and walked away. I couldn't figure out why.

11-20-2005 07:29 AM

baaad play!

tek 11-20-2005 04:22 PM

Using jargon and obscure refernces early in a conversation is -EV because you look like either a geek or a weirdo.

Humor is good, but be careful.

Matt Williams 11-20-2005 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using jargon and obscure refernces early in a conversation is -EV because you look like either a geek or a weirdo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you honestly think this conversation actually took place? It was a joke.

11-20-2005 09:21 PM

¿For this survey, are differnt lvls of hold'em considered differnt games? If so Fox. If not Hedgehog.

tek 11-20-2005 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking more to guys that realy would do that, not really talking to you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

11-20-2005 11:02 PM

Is it more profitable to be a fox or a hedgehog?

IMO, although a hedgehog can be great at a game, a fox can get into more softer games because he knows so many. A fox can choose between playing a tought hold em table or a really soft stud table, while if a hedgehog's specialty is holdem, he will have to play at that tough hold em table.

11-21-2005 12:30 PM

im a squirrel, cuz i got the nuts!

11-22-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2FF!

11-22-2005 06:46 PM

I have no choice i'm a fox, my curiosity wont have it any other way.

2ndGoat 11-23-2005 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it more profitable to be a fox or a hedgehog?

IMO, although a hedgehog can be great at a game, a fox can get into more softer games because he knows so many. A fox can choose between playing a tought hold em table or a really soft stud table, while if a hedgehog's specialty is holdem, he will have to play at that tough hold em table.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER, the fox will not likely be as good at each game he plays as the hedgehog is the one game he plays, since he has not spent all his concentration improving that one game. Then again, I thnk perspective gained from, say, triple draw, has helped my hold'em game a small amount.

I think it mostly evens out until you creep towards high limits in vegas, when limit hold'em gets a lot tougher, and the mixed games are usually pretty good by comparison.

2nd