Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Steelers are team to beat in AFC (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=143005)

kyro 10-31-2004 08:36 PM

Steelers are team to beat in AFC

Well that was hideous. My Patsies got shown up. They lost me $40 to 3 different Steelers fans. Oh well, they were bound to lose eventually, but on the day I put up money? Pshaw.

Toro 10-31-2004 08:46 PM

Re: Steelers are team to beat in AFC

Based on today, maybe, but there's a long ways to go. I felt all along that the Patriots streak would end with a game like this where everything went wrong and they ended up getting crushed. Let's see how they bounce back next week before jumping off the Zakim.

kyro 10-31-2004 09:05 PM

I ain't jumping off of anything. I still think they're the second best team in the AFC. But everything about the Steelers has impressed me this year. Today's game just confirmed my belief. It didn't help that the Pats had injuries, but this was truly a beatdown.

Toro 10-31-2004 09:10 PM

No team is as good as they look and conversely as bad as they look in a game like this. In Bill we Trust.

WC64 10-31-2004 10:05 PM

The Pats cost me money 2 weeks in a row now, so maybe I shouldnt bet on them anymore lol.

MarkL444 10-31-2004 10:10 PM

AFC teams better than Pittsburgh:
New England
NYJ
Indy
Denver
Baltimore
Kansas City
Tennessee

Maybe more.

ThaSaltCracka 10-31-2004 10:19 PM

I had a feeling the Steelers were going to win. I think the Pats are somewhat overrated this year, and will probably lose one or two more games before the playoffs begin.

Kurn, son of Mogh 10-31-2004 10:25 PM

I'll settle for 13-3 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

sublime 10-31-2004 10:37 PM

lol

13-3 is overrated?

you drunk again? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 10-31-2004 10:39 PM

they very easily could have lost to the hawks.

sublime 10-31-2004 10:40 PM

New England is still the team to beat, and I dont think its really a debate. They had ZERO rushing attack today and were not prepared for Dillon to be inactive. That being said, Pittsburgh played a heck of a game and appear to be a solid team.

sublime 10-31-2004 10:41 PM

yeah but they didn't, which sums up the success of the patriots the past year and a half.

ThaSaltCracka 10-31-2004 10:42 PM

true, I just don't think this team is AS good as people think they are. Luckily for them, they really only have 4 more "tough" games this year.

Michael Davis 10-31-2004 10:43 PM

Based on what? 2003 record?

-Michael

sublime 10-31-2004 10:46 PM

oh i dont buy that they are as good as people think they are for one simple fact: they have no clue what they are talking about.

any team can beat any other team in the NFL on a given sunday, which makes NE's recent run even more impressive. however, it also means that they can lose to cincy and still be the team to beat in the NFL.

GrandMaster 10-31-2004 10:55 PM

The Chiefs are definitely the team to beat. I was very happy that the Steelers ended that winning streak, finally.

MarkL444 10-31-2004 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on what? 2003 record?

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just my opinion. If you disagree thats fine.

ThaSaltCracka 10-31-2004 10:56 PM

well, they are clearly the team to beat in the AFC. Philly is the team to beat in the NFC though. I am just hoping the Hawks can take the next two on the road.

ThaSaltCracka 10-31-2004 10:58 PM

a team has to have a defense in order for them to be the team to beat. KC has no D.

DCIAce 10-31-2004 11:01 PM

Noone in the AFC has impressed me all that much, other than the Patriots of Weeks 1-7.

I'd say the Steelers are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AFC, behind NE and maybe NYJ.. but they're close to the top, and you can make an argument for them being the team to beat.

If they can beat the Eagles next week, then we're talking best team in the AFC. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sublime 10-31-2004 11:11 PM

The Chiefs are definitely the team to beat

this is not the comedy forum

kyro 10-31-2004 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New England
NYJ
Indy
Denver
Baltimore
Kansas City
Tennessee

Maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you don't bet on sports. I could understand you thinking the Pats and maybe the Jets/Colts are better than Pittsburgh, but KC and Tennessee is a complete joke.

kyro 10-31-2004 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a feeling the Steelers were going to win. I think the Pats are somewhat overrated this year, and will probably lose one or two more games before the playoffs begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's impressive. overrated and still finish 14-2 or 13-3? I'd be happy with that.

sublime 10-31-2004 11:25 PM

philly has had a fairly easy schedule so far this year. i want to see them play a pretty solid team like pitts on the road before i think they are anything special

tolbiny 10-31-2004 11:37 PM

Teams better than Pittsburgh....

New England- Yes
NYJ- Push right now
Indy- Still have to show they can stop a team defensively to become the "team to beat". If ipicking between Pittsburgh and indy i would pick indy, but put money on the over.
Denver- The last two weeks have shown some serious holes in Denver's game, going with Pittsburgh on this one.
Baltimore- There will be another matchup between the teams this year. If more teams take Cleveland's approach to stopping them they will struggle to make the playoffs.
Kansa City- A lot of Indy's probems... not as diverse of an offensive attack. Maybe a push.
Tennesee- team with probelms on both sides of the ball right now, Pittsburgh is currently the better team.

kyro 10-31-2004 11:44 PM

who said they are anything special? the nfc is loaded with mediocre/sucky teams that philly is easily the best. the closest to them is the vikings, and that's almost laughable.

ThaSaltCracka 11-01-2004 01:39 AM

hmm, I realize now that overrated is the wrong word. NE seems to have an invincible aura around them, which they shouldn't. There team is good, but they have weaknesses. I think I can honestly say they were better last year than this year. But, they are still the team to beat in the AFC.

Dynasty 11-01-2004 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Chiefs are definitely the team to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's rare that a 3-4 team like the Chiefs is the team to beat. They'll get their own shot at the Patriots on Monday Night Football in three weeks.

The Patriiots defense has some problems. But, they'll be tough team to be come playoff time.

lastchance 11-01-2004 02:05 AM

Yeah, you're right. Good news for the 'Hawks at least... They should be able to sneak into the playoffs if they're able to be consistent, for once...

Yeah, and Pats are definitely the team to beat still. Even if they are overrated... NYJ is a very tough team right now.

Pitt should be tough come playoff time. They still have another toughie with the Eagles though. If they win this one, I don't think anyone wants to face 'em.

Other than that, the league's a mess, and you just got to make plays to win.

ArchAngel71857 11-01-2004 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
New England
NYJ
Indy
Denver
Baltimore
Kansas City
Tennessee

Maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennessee is missing McCariens big time on O. And McNair for that matter. banged up and hasn't looked sharp all year. i guess this is what happens when you play with 800 injuries every year. Also, Peter Sirmon was a huge reason their run D was so good last year. He is out with a knee injury and they are feeling the effectsof that big time. Also, Kearse left so the warm up bike on the sideline isn't used as much.

-AA

pokerkai 11-01-2004 03:46 AM

Steelers are so not the team to beat. Roethlisberger is playing tremendously but sooner or later hes gonna come down to earth.

MarkL444 11-01-2004 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
banged up and hasn't looked sharp all year.

[/ QUOTE ]

they didnt look sharp in green bay?

Homer 11-01-2004 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
philly has had a fairly easy schedule so far this year. i want to see them play a pretty solid team like pitts on the road before i think they are anything special

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's been that easy. Philly has just made it look easy (well, their first 5 games at least). Their opponent's so far this year have a combined .571 winning percentage (24-18) in games not against the Eagles.

Homer 11-01-2004 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who said they are anything special? the nfc is loaded with mediocre/sucky teams that philly is easily the best. the closest to them is the vikings, and that's almost laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the Giants are the next best team, which is pretty sad.

Bulldog 11-01-2004 09:54 AM

Nice win in Pittsburgh yesterday. Maybe we'll get to see if you can repeat it:
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in January
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in New England
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] without a bye week to prepare
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with your rookie QB realizing a Super Bowl trip is on the line

BTW, I could construct pretty good arguments for both Tennessee and KC being better than Pittsburgh.

kyro 11-01-2004 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I could construct pretty good arguments for both Tennessee and KC being better than Pittsburgh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who realizes these two teams are a combined 6-9? KC is the same team they were last year, without Dante Hall winning two games for them, and they weren't that good then. All offense, and no defense. And Tennessee? This isn't the Tennessee team of the past few years people.

ArchAngel71857 11-01-2004 10:10 AM

they didnt look sharp in green bay?

I was talking about McNair.

-AA

Bulldog 11-01-2004 10:29 AM

My argument would have a little more to do with Pittsburgh being overrated than it would Tennessee or KC being underrated.

Edge34 11-01-2004 01:08 PM

Big Ben is the real deal. The defense is playing pretty well, too. They totally outplayed the Patriots yesterday, on both sides of the ball - and maybe even showed how overrated one Tom Brady is.

And all this stuff about Dillon being so important...the Pats didn't even HAVE Dillon till this year...can't Brady win with his defense and Kevin Faulk in the backfield?

KC and Tennessee both suck, the only way KC wins is when they play a team with an equally poor D (yes, like the Colts), and Tennessee...well, they just can't keep players on the field. Pitt's winning with a rookie QB who can handle the pressure, and a solid backfield and D. Philly oughta be careful, but I think they'll handle Pitt.

-Edge

mistrpug 11-01-2004 01:19 PM

Sure New England won 21 games in a row and 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, but Pittsburgh beat them YESTERDAY! They are clearly the team to beat. [ /sarcasm ]

Don't worry. The Steelers will fall back to earth next week.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/nfl/2...a_owens_il.jpg