Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Enjoy my Poker Blog (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352126)

curtains 10-06-2005 09:50 PM

Enjoy my Poker Blog

Here it goes.....I figure this way when I slack off and don't play I'll not only have to make excuses to myself but to the rest of the world!!! Also you get to see that Im insane.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/curtainspoker/

Ill try to update every day when I'm done playing.

bluefeet 10-06-2005 09:52 PM

Re: Enjoy my Poker Blog

awesome curtains...thanks for sharing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

golfcchs 10-06-2005 10:03 PM

Wow you moved from the 22's to the 215's in 6 months.

curtains 10-06-2005 10:12 PM

3 months. But okay I was playing $215s before I played the $22s. I just dropped down to learn how to 8 table. Also I was not so great at the $215s before I learned how to 8 table.

10-06-2005 10:22 PM

you live in philly? what area?

Shilly 10-06-2005 10:32 PM

Very nice. I'm sure you'll be the MTT World Champion in no more than five months.

GtrHtr 10-06-2005 10:34 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Dr_Jeckyl_00 10-06-2005 10:37 PM

thanks for sharing... added to my favorites.

Degen 10-06-2005 10:40 PM

badass

Mr_J 10-06-2005 10:49 PM

Well when you can make 100k in 3 months I don't see why you should feel the need to work all that much.

pooh74 10-06-2005 11:04 PM

Nice...I love reading these.

thx Curtains,

you da man

Scuba Chuck 10-06-2005 11:11 PM

You're f.ing crazy. You're up late, and up at 5AM to post on your blog? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, so can we expect to find you posting in the small stakes forum?

curtains 10-06-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well when you can make 100k in 3 months I don't see why you should feel the need to work all that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I didn't make quite 100k in 3 months, but ok I had a decent bankroll before this. I don't really want to work, I just want to be world champion...but I cant be if I sit around and never play. It's not the best strategy somehow...

(Note that when I say World Champion, I don't actually mean World Champion)

Oluwafemi 10-06-2005 11:26 PM

yeah curtains...

[ QUOTE ]
you live in philly? what area?

[/ QUOTE ]

what part of Philly do you live in? i used to live in Germantown off Woodlawn Street. i got family that lives in Southwest, Cheltenham, Germantown, Mount Airy and Chester, Pa.

10-06-2005 11:35 PM

Re: yeah curtains...

i live in west philly with a couple friends right now (i go to drexel univ). I work in flourtown on my co-op which is right up there in chester

Bluff Daddy 10-06-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 months. But okay I was playing $215s before I played the $22s. I just dropped down to learn how to 8 table. Also I was not so great at the $215s before I learned how to 8 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what secrets did you learn to 8 tabling

Irieguy 10-06-2005 11:44 PM

If you want to be world champion at everything, why do you only want to play holdem?

Do you not like the other games, or just feel like all the money is in holdem?

The main reason I ask is because if you continue to succeed at the highest levels, eventually you will want to win WSOP bracelets... and a lot of events are in non-holdem games.

Irieguy

Bluff Daddy 10-06-2005 11:47 PM

what I dont get is if you really understand poker you shouldnt give a damn about winning a wsop bracelet right?

curtains 10-06-2005 11:49 PM

I agree that at some point its important to learn other games. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8. I just think I have too much that I need to learn in holdem games to worry about those games yet.

Since I already have some knowledge in this area, it should be easier to pick those up. Although really I never really had huge success in ring games, almost all of my bankroll was built through tournaments.

curtains 10-06-2005 11:50 PM

Re: yeah curtains...

[ QUOTE ]
i live in west philly with a couple friends right now (i go to drexel univ). I work in flourtown on my co-op which is right up there in chester

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom works at Drexel as a Chem professor. I will be moving to Center City on Lombard St.

pooh74 10-06-2005 11:57 PM

There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8

lol...i came in 12th in an PLO8 last night and really had little clue how...sometimes after an individual hand even. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

gumpzilla 10-07-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that at some point its important to learn other games. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to properly read my hand in Omaha/8. I just think I have too much that I need to learn in holdem games to worry about those games yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) They're a lot of fun and a change of pace, which would help with some of the boredom problems that it sounds like you're having.

2) Irie has said, and I agree, that you learn a lot about poker in general by playing a wider range of games.

3) It's fun.

I like stud and stud/8, they feel like less of a grind to me than other forms of limit poker.

Irieguy 10-07-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since I already have some knowledge in this area, it should be easier to pick those up. Although really I never really had huge success in ring games, almost all of my bankroll was built through tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned to play PLO just because it sounded fun, and then fell in love with the game. So, for a few years I played mostly (almost exclusievely) pot-limit omaha and PLO-8 on line.

Then, when the holdem craze hit I had to switch back to holdem to take advantage of the money... and I found that somehow my PL holdem game was better than it ever was.

Now PLHE is far and away my best game even though I have played fewer hands of that game than either PLO or NLHE.

I guess my point is that I think by learning other games you may stumble upon skills that can sharpen your ability in all games... and you may find that you excel particularly in one game.

Some "famous" examples of this type of learning would be Phil Ivey, Paul Darden, and Ted Forrest. All three of those guys probably played less than 10% of their hands in holdem each year until 2002. Now, those guys would all make most people's top-20 lists in NLHE.

I guess i'm just interested in why you feel it wouldn't help your overall progress.

Irieguy

10-07-2005 12:07 AM

Great Blog....keep us posted!

chisness 10-07-2005 12:12 AM

looks pretty cool. how often do you plan on playing? do you give yourself vacations whenever you want?

i can relate to your hitting a big upswing (mine was relatively very large for myself) and then getting ridiculously lazy. it's hard to explain since it's like giving up money, but there's just no drive.

curtains 10-07-2005 12:14 AM

It would likely help my progress and I will probably incorporate them very shortly.

curtains 10-07-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looks pretty cool. how often do you plan on playing? do you give yourself vacations whenever you want?

i can relate to your hitting a big upswing (mine was relatively very large for myself) and then getting ridiculously lazy. it's hard to explain since it's like giving up money, but there's just no drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of things come up for me, so Im going to have to take time off here and there. But I'll try to play as many days as I can.

curtains 10-07-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol...i came in 12th in an PLO8 last night and really had little clue how...sometimes after an individual hand even. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a live Omaha/8 tourney once on the Pokerstars Cruise, because I was a stupid moron. In any case I won a hand against a pro player, and he made some comment about how I had some type of hand. I can't remember what he said but I basically had no idea what he was talking about, all I knew was I had a full house and there was no low on the board. But I also had to pretend like I knew how to play, so I basically ignored him (I think I unconfidently nodded and said...yeah), and he seemed kind of offended.

chisness 10-07-2005 12:20 AM

best of luck, if you can keep this up, 2006 should be a very very profitable year for you. so what do you do with your winnings? stocks, money market, briefcases in the closet?

curtains 10-07-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
best of luck, if you can keep this up, 2006 should be a very very profitable year for you. so what do you do with your winnings? stocks, money market, briefcases in the closet?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little of everything. I suspect the most profitable thing would be to play as many sit and gos as possible all the time, but its pretty boring too to do it all the time.

pergesu 10-07-2005 12:24 AM

I haven't looked at it yet, but why do I think a lot of the posts will be

OH MY GOD THESE PLAYERS ARE [censored] MORONS IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THE GAME THEN YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!11one

chisness 10-07-2005 12:26 AM

well that's not really feasible

even if you're a $200 player, once you've got $20k or so online, it's gotta be most profitable to put most of the rest in the market.

curtains 10-07-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well that's not really feasible

even if you're a $200 player, once you've got $20k or so online, it's gotta be most profitable to put most of the rest in the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean in terms of playing, not investing or whatever.

chisness 10-07-2005 12:32 AM

yeah makes sense. that's what's so cool about poker though, you only need $20k to make something like a $2mill investment with a return better than the market average.

KingDan 10-07-2005 12:33 AM

Do you think the $10+1 rebuy is worth your times in terms of $$/hour or just more enjoyment/change of pace?

And if anyone is interested in playing plo8, the cryptos have a great game. Only problem is it is usually just two tables running $.50/$1 blinds, occasionally a bigger game will run.

curtains 10-07-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the $10+1 rebuy is worth your times in terms of $$/hour or just more enjoyment/change of pace?

And if anyone is interested in playing plo8, the cryptos have a great game. Only problem is it is usually just two tables running $.50/$1 blinds, occasionally a bigger game will run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt have played it probably if I didn't miss the bigger 9pm tourneys. ($150 on party and $100 on UB) It's fun though....

lacky 10-07-2005 01:01 AM

hmmm...I'm already champion, so I guess my only real goals right now are making money and beating you at STTF-HUC2. Why don't you make it PLO. I'd have a reason to finally learn the game, and you'd have a fair chance [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Steve

Mr_J 10-07-2005 01:33 AM

"I just want to be world champion"

This explains why you're still messing around with poker instead of preparing to semi retire off you know what [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

pooh74 10-07-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a live Omaha/8 tourney once on the Pokerstars Cruise, because I was a stupid moron. In any case I won a hand against a pro player, and he made some comment about how I had some type of hand. I can't remember what he said but I basically had no idea what he was talking about, all I knew was I had a full house and there was no low on the board. But I also had to pretend like I knew how to play, so I basically ignored him (I think I unconfidently nodded and said...yeah), and he seemed kind of offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I do that a lot in all facets of my life. I do the "nod and ignore" as well as Pippen used to do the "pick and roll".

But seriously, its a great game...it just takes me a long time to figure out my outs and if they're even any good. I often end up in a winning hand for reasons I didnt even contemplate when i played it that way.

But its so fun...It appeals to the fish in me. And, in any regard, good tourney strategy lends itself to any type of game. Beyond that, i just play my own hand in a vaccuum.

psyduck 10-07-2005 01:37 AM

I'm adding you ^___________^ KEKEK

No seriously though, very interesting stuff.