Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Poker stamina for multiple table players (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287034)

Uglyowl 07-05-2005 11:30 PM

Poker stamina for multiple table players

How do you handle the mental fatigue that sets in. For me it seems to go down hill after 1.25 hours of playing many tables.

Ideas I have batted around is reducing the number as the time wears on. Taking a half hour break in between.

Does your stamina improve as time goes on?

Seems like a silly question, but I am serious. Every mistake adds up.

OrcaDK 07-05-2005 11:50 PM

Re: Poker stamina for multiple table players

In my experience, i'm not playing optimally within the first 30-60 minutes, i need some warm up time. After this i'm hot. I haven't really reached a point were mental fatigue kicks in, the bad beat tilt usually takes care of this.

Nathan183 07-06-2005 12:02 AM

I can play 4 tables for 6+ hours without too much difficulty. I've never tried more than this. I find it helps to do something else, watch TV, surf the net, etc. while playing. This probably isn't possible with more than 4 tables.

JKratzer 07-06-2005 12:16 AM

I set my bot's stamina level for 99 so he's good to go for days at a time.

JKratzer

CrazyN8 07-06-2005 12:29 AM

I find meth. does the trick!

Derek132260 07-06-2005 12:33 AM

As funny as some of these answers are...here's a serious one.

I play 3-4 tables at a time, and I usually do so in 2hr. increments. I find that after 2 hours of this, I'm usually just a bit monitor-logged. So I take 20-30 mins. of break, and then hit it again.

But if for you it's 1.25 hours (how many actual minutes is that?), then take a break then. As the poker itself becomes easier, your mental fatigue will not set in quite as quickly. Also, make sure you're sitting comfortably and looking at a nice monitor (or two). That will help you as well.

Hope this helps.

SmileyEH 07-06-2005 12:36 AM

cocaine's a hella of a drug

-SmileyEH

fire_fly 07-06-2005 12:37 AM

If you're wearing out after a little over an hour, something is wrong.

If you're tired, try an energy drink. Rockstar is great. Sobe new one is good too.

If your mind wanders, focus on strategy. Ever decision can be either ev+ or -. Try hard to win more money.

On the same note, check out an odds chart. Calculate your odds on every call to make sure you are getting correct odds. I have mine right next to my desk where I play. Keeps me entertained.

The most I've ever played was 14 hours pretty much straight through, and that was 2 tabling .25/.50 with overlapping tables.

I normally can play 4-6 hours with no problems (ie tired, bored, etc.) Just try switching something up and see if that helps.

Uglyowl 07-06-2005 12:42 AM

I wear out 8 tabling after about 1 hour 15minutes or so.

I really need a 2001fp, that would get rid of the clicking around needlessly seeing if I am up on one of the monitors. That is a great suggestion.

When 8 tabling, I begin to become robotic and miss some stuff I shouldn't be.

OrcaDK 07-06-2005 12:49 AM

You might wanna check out this post.

r2b2 07-06-2005 01:14 AM

You might want to see how long you can 4 table. If it is more than twice what you can 8 table, it might be worth switching.

IronDragon1 07-06-2005 01:18 AM

The answer to everything:

Exercise

toss 07-06-2005 02:21 AM

Eh I lose focus like 15 minutes in. I have trouble playing more than 250 hands. I force myself to play at least 500 sometimes. Maybe I need to play at a limit that'll make me sweat.

Tk79 07-06-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, i'm not playing optimally within the first 30-60 minutes, i need some warm up time. After this i'm hot. I haven't really reached a point were mental fatigue kicks in, the bad beat tilt usually takes care of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. For the first few minutes or so when Im getting everything set and opened up I dont seem to do all that well. But after taking down a few pots I can play 8 tables of 3/6 for about 3 hrs then I take a break. To stay sharp I try to find a really horrible player at a few of my tables and make sure to bleed them any way possible. It makse the game more personal to me if I have one person(or more) on each table that I can think of as unique(sp).

Escape 07-06-2005 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh I lose focus like 15 minutes in. I have trouble playing more than 250 hands. I force myself to play at least 500 sometimes. Maybe I need to play at a limit that'll make me sweat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I tought I was the only one with this problem. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

edge 07-06-2005 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to see how long you can 4 table. If it is more than twice what you can 8 table, it might be worth switching.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to do in life than just playing poker. I would love to not play at all if I was just given the money.

StacysMom 07-06-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're tired, try an energy drink. Rockstar is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

This stuff is the nuts. 2x the size of redbull for the same price. I LOVE it, and am most likely dependent on it.

MicroBob 07-06-2005 07:37 AM

I agree with cutting down on number of tables.

If I feel like taking a nap I take a nap.

Also - putting in some music is helpful for me.

I might play 1 or 2 tournaments and 2 or 3 ring-games. If youcan handle the differences in the games (I'm playing NL tourneys...but limit-ring) then the variety can help keep you entertained perhaps.
8 tables of the same freaking thing just seems too boring to me and I'm not sure how those who do it are able to pull it off.

Also - I seem to remember from the Absolute thread that your numbers are a bit on the weak-tight side....so it sounds like you are playing kind of a mindless and boring form of poker for the most part.
Get that VP up and gain some EV on each of you tables.
try playing short-handed tables and increasing your aggression.
Try doing this on just 2 or 3 tables. Poker can be more exciting this way if you just let it be interesting. You'll be a better player too.

But mostly it's about caffeine and some music.
I am generally having the same problem.

Last week I was having trouble sleeping before my Friday WSOP tourney. Then I thought of a great way to wind-down and crash-out: "I know!! I'll just play 3 or 4 tables of online poker. That ALWAYS makes me sleepy!!"

It worked.

ElSapo 07-06-2005 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't exhaustion - it's boredom. I think a lot of players who have been aruond a couple of years or so face this. Not all, but a lot.

I find full tabling really boring now, and rarely watch any of the action unless it's my turn to act.

ElSapo

SCfuji 07-06-2005 08:32 AM

ahahahahahahaha

Rudbaeck 07-06-2005 08:50 AM

Exercise.
Good food, with a low glycemic index. (Ie, no white bread, no pasta, no potatoes.)
Arctic root extract.

stigmata 07-06-2005 09:39 AM

The best plan (for me) is to do 2-3 hrs in the morning, go for a run, have lunch, and then do another 2hrs. I then "wind down" for an hour or three doing something differnet (MTT, multitable SNGs, or 1/2 tables of higher stakes when on top of my game).

The lunchtime run and break helps get the concentration right back up.

SamIAm 07-06-2005 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if for you it's 1.25 hours (how many actual minutes is that?)

[/ QUOTE ] Are you kidding? It's 75. How's that mental-fatigue going?
-Sam