Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Final table - A9s from UTG+1 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387468)

Rocco 11-29-2005 06:25 AM

Final table - A9s from UTG+1

$5 R+A on Party. 1180 entrants and we're down to 8. I have the 4th biggest stack with approx T415000.

- Average stack is about T450000
- Blinds are 15000/30000

I'm UTG+1 and look down on A9s. Main goal is, of course, the 1st place that pays $4750. A mix of big and small stacks to act behind me. Smallest stack has 4xBB. My M is 9.2 and the question is whether you push, raise (how much?) or fold and wait for a better hand?

11-29-2005 10:43 AM

Re: Final table - A9s from UTG+1

Personally, I think 7 people to act is too many against A9s. With your M being 9, I think you've got a little breathing room left to get a better hand, or better position at least. If you were in MP I'd consider the push....
Just my 2 cents

rannerboy 11-29-2005 11:26 AM

I'm folding. Too many people yet to act and you are not getting desperate to play a hand this weak from out of position. I would hate to enter the pot and being raised by someone behind me. I'm not prepared to go all the way with this hand at the moment, and neither do I want to get my stack crippled. Wait for a better opportunity, you have at least a round or two before your M is getting dangerously low.

Matador225 11-29-2005 11:32 AM

I lay it down. Too many people acting behind you that can cripple you or knock you out. If you raise here and get reraised by a medium or big stack behind you you stand a good chance of being dominated but may have to call anyway if you are committed.

betgo 11-29-2005 11:38 AM

You don't have the odds to raise or push. Limping is possible, but folding is probably better.

schwza 11-29-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think 7 people to act is too many against A9s. With your M being 9, I think you've got a little breathing room left to get a better hand, or better position at least. If you were in MP I'd consider the push....
Just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

there aren't 7 left to act, there are 6. this is like MP1 at a 10-handed table.

pushing would be very bad. i'd raise if the BB was tight to 38k, but my default is to fold.

Melchiades 11-29-2005 11:47 AM

How do you calculate his odds for raising?

I fold this almost always. If I'm given an awfull lot of respect or the table is übertight I might raise, but in a situation like that the hand doesn't matter that much.

I don't look down on A9s and feel I have to play it from UTG+1.

Rocco 11-29-2005 12:03 PM

Thanks for all answers... I raised 3xBB and got re-raised. Just wanted to check it's not considered too tight folding even though were down to 8 players.

betgo 11-29-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you calculate his odds for raising?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't have odds to push, you generally don't have odds to raise. It is not as easily calculated as for pushing. If you get reraised, you have to fold a big part of your stack or it's the same as pushing.

schwza 11-29-2005 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have odds to push, you generally don't have odds to raise. It is not as easily calculated as for pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

to anyone who doesn't understand this, don't worry. it is gibberish.

Melchiades 11-29-2005 12:43 PM

Thats what I thought.

betgo 11-29-2005 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have odds to push, you generally don't have odds to raise. It is not as easily calculated as for pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

to anyone who doesn't understand this, don't worry. it is gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am saying is that you can't calculate odds for raising as precisely as odds for pushing. However, if you are short stacked, raising is pretty much the same as pushing, since you will be somewhat pot committed to call a reraise.

Melchiades 11-29-2005 12:50 PM

He isn't so short that he wil be committed to call any raise. Will have to call pushes from shorties though.

When you throw out a statement that he doesn't have "odds" to raise, and then say its impossible to calculate the odds accuratly it gets a bit confusing.

Have never really heard anyone talk about odds for raising before. You either raise to steal, or raise for value.

11-29-2005 01:35 PM

I fold this hand preflop from this position at an 8 person table. Raising is not a good option because of the good possibility of a re-raise with so many to act behind you. Limping is horrible, because you will be forced to just fold the 45K chips away when someone makes a 3X BB steal-raise behind you. I think folding is the right move here.

betgo 11-29-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this hand preflop from this position at an 8 person table. Raising is not a good option because of the good possibility of a re-raise with so many to act behind you. Limping is horrible, because you will be forced to just fold the 45K chips away when someone makes a 3X BB steal-raise behind you. I think folding is the right move here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not crazy about limping, but depending on your read, you have the option to limpraise or call if you are raised. If you think it is a steal raise, push. A9s is a 7-3 dog against standard raising hands, but ahead ahead of a lot of other hands. The limpriase may be tough to call.

I don't know if I would limp here, but it is not necessarily a bad play, depending on your style. I think limping is a lot better than raising. Pushing is terrible.

webmonarch 11-29-2005 02:56 PM

I think what you did is exactly crrect. Its the type of hand that its worth it to show strength, but not good enough to push. You raised, got reraies and released. Perfect.

11-29-2005 02:59 PM

I just dont think you know where you're at if AJ calls you and you hit the A on the flop. Are you going to run with the hand with top pair 9 kicker? I think this hand could get you in more trouble than it is worth. Release, save your chips for a better hand... That's my take.

JohnG 11-30-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A mix of big and small stacks to act behind me. Smallest stack has 4xBB. My M is 9.2 and the question is whether you push, raise (how much?) or fold and wait for a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table was tight with decent sized stacks, raising would be ok, but given there are smaller stacks, and I do not know the dynamics, I would fold on the ratios stated. Reason being, I don't want to price myself in to calling a relatively significant allin by a smaller stack.