Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   something i have been doing of late (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382459)

PokerBob 11-21-2005 02:48 AM

something i have been doing of late

i am only a 22-24/17-19 guy. i want to learn to play like a 30/20 nutcase. lately i have been playing some .5/1 like a complete LAGtard monkey. i am trying to FORCE myself to play more hands. anyone else try this?

admiralfluff 11-21-2005 02:51 AM

Re: something i have been doing of late

Those extra points come mostly from increasing steals, defence, and isolation. .5/1 is not a very conducive environment to these types of changes.

Entity 11-21-2005 02:51 AM

I do it frequently, at games ranging from .5/1 to 5/10. It's quite fun and challenging as well. IIRC Daniel Negraneu used to have essays advocating this -- playing nutbar, I think he called it?

Rob

climber 11-21-2005 02:51 AM

I've tried this but I can't take it seriously at those stakes.

The opponents are so random I dont feel I'd have much confidence in anything I might develop there.

Subfallen 11-21-2005 02:54 AM

Why do you want to play more hands?

climber 11-21-2005 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do it frequently, at games ranging from .5/1 to 5/10. It's quite fun and challenging as well. IIRC Daniel Negraneu used to have essays advocating this -- playing nutbar, I think he called it?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

He called it "party day" or soemthign and would do it very rarely at much lower than his normal limits--saw a big thread about it recently (in the archives) where mason kept jumping in saying "throwing away money is stupid" "this is not a new idea" "it was stupid then and is just as stupid now"--stuff like that.

brazilio 11-21-2005 03:33 AM

I do this at stars .02/.04, but I just play every hand and raise every time I can. Helps me deal with some tilt issues when dropping 1000BB means I only spent 40bux.

jason_t 11-21-2005 03:58 AM

Why do you want to be 30/20?

cnfuzzd 11-21-2005 04:10 AM

because, its optimal. and pbob wishes he were asian.

apns

imported_leader 11-21-2005 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree.

admiralfluff 11-21-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the correct answer:

Because it's more fun.

jason_t 11-21-2005 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's not.

PokerBob 11-21-2005 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been told that it is the only way to be a 3bb/100 winner. i want that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i also want to be able to play a variety of styles.

jason_t 11-21-2005 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been told that it is the only way to be a 3bb/100 winner. i want that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There exist non-30/20 3+ BB/100 winners.

cnfuzzd 11-21-2005 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one should at least have some familiarity with playing the 30/20 style.

also, i think youre sexxxy. results in qq hand?

apns

jason_t 11-21-2005 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one should at least have some familiarity with playing the 30/20 style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
also, i think youre sexxxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're hot too baby.

flawless_victory 11-21-2005 04:21 AM

dude, i dont think playing 1/2 is gonna be the way to incorporate more hands.
im like 30/22 type, and i play more hands than u because i am relentlessly raising and threebetting the bad plyers.
if a bad playr limps, i raise. if he raise, i threebet anything re=motelky playable.
i also raise out of the blind in unraised pots w/ anything playable.

Subfallen 11-21-2005 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im like 30/22 type, and i play more hands than u because i am relentlessly raising and threebetting the bad plyers.
if a bad playr limps, i raise. if he raise, i threebet anything re=motelky playable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

ArturiusX 11-21-2005 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although you have the worst spelling of anyone on HUSH, you give some of the wisest words.

Monty Cantsin 11-21-2005 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
re=motelky

[/ QUOTE ]

WOTD

/mc

Spicymoose 11-21-2005 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you gives some examples?

Also...

2 limpers, SB comes, and you have 87s?

1 limper, SB comes, and you have 44?

2 limpers, SB folds, and you have T7s?

flawless_victory 11-21-2005 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also...

[/ QUOTE ]
depends on the players.
id prob raise them all... the 44 is automatic.

Entity 11-21-2005 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Schneids or Nikla?

Wynton 11-21-2005 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those extra points come mostly from increasing steals, defence, and isolation. .5/1 is not a very conducive environment to these types of changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is exactly right.

I, too, would love to be able to transform myself from a 22/17 into a 30/20, and I have tried occasionally to do that at lower limits; but I think the lower limits are precisely the worst places for this style.

As for those who wonder why we'd be interested, for me it's simply because it sounds like a lot more fun (and ego-gratifying) to be the intimidating force and also get to play a lot more hands. Still, I also believe that the difference between me and the 30/20 player is primarily blind defense (not even blind steals that much).

I suppose what I would really like to be is a 35/25 or a 40/30. Now THAT sounds like a good time, kind of like bungee-jumping (another thing I'm too scared actually to try).

Wynton 11-21-2005 08:56 AM

double post

krishanleong 11-21-2005 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Schneids was a solid winner at 10/20 without the 30/20 style. Take a look at sxb (sbx?) if you want a newer example.

Krishan

Spicymoose 11-21-2005 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also...

[/ QUOTE ]
depends on the players.
id prob raise them all... the 44 is automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

Couple more...

3 limpers, SB comes, and a you have 76s?

2 limpers, SB comes, and you have 74s?

2 limpers, SB folds, and you have 65s?

You mentioned it depends on players... you are looking for weak or tight players that might fold to a follow up flop bet? You are usually betting most somewhat unconnected boards on the flop?

jason_t 11-21-2005 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You can't be serious.

11-21-2005 02:06 PM

Those guys are postflop monsters though.

I was under the impression that a lot of the extra hands from 30/20 come from looser stealing standards on the button and CO in addition to limping along more sometimes.

danzasmack 11-21-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was nutbar. At the goal of the game was to play for x hours and break even. (not counting rakeback...that's a joke...)

Entity 11-21-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because, its optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You can't be serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do think learning to be a 30/20 player is quite valuable even if being a 30/20 player isn't necessarily the most profitable mode of play in today's games. You should know that.

Rob

jason_t 11-21-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do think learning to be a 30/20 player is quite valuable even if being a 30/20 player isn't necessarily the most profitable mode of play in today's games. You should know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and I agree with it but that's an entirely different conversation.

11-21-2005 02:27 PM

C'mon Bob, you know better. (or maybe not)

Making correct decisions is what matters in any limit. Playing "30/20" for the sake of doing it is just plain dumb. As a matter of fact, IF Nikla were playing 10/20 on Party right now, I can safely say that his stats would NOT be 30/20.

According to Nikla :

"Gameconditions dictate what kind of vpip and pfr you can have. A 30/20 type of style in the passive 6-handed 10/20 games will often turn into a 24/xx style in the higher 6-handed limits just because the game is that much more aggressive."

Is his 10/20 description in line with the 10/20 games right now? If not, maybe HUSH should re-evaluate their playing style.

As far as the small limits go:

If you make every correct decision in $1/$2, there is no way on earth you will have 30/20 stats.

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you. If you force yourself to fit into certain numbers because people "say so", you will really be scratching your head and wondering where you went wrong.
VPIP and PFR numbers are a RESULT of your play, and it's not the other was around.

Hopefully, I've saved you some time, money and aggrevation. Just something for you to think about before you continue with your random experimentations.

danzasmack 11-21-2005 02:29 PM

Yeah this is the complete opposite for me.
At 3/6 and 5/10 I was a 24-25/18.

At 10/20 I'm a 28-29/19.

I make a lot of strange raises for free cards, 3 bet to isolate every day of the week, pretty much do all that stuff you guys put in your 1 line responses. and it's a good time.

disjunction 11-21-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.

B Dids 11-21-2005 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and I agree with it but that's an entirely different conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Threads like this are why people still think you're a nit [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The problem with trying to play lag at the low limits is that I think you miss some of why you play lag, because you can't really isolate a whole table.

Entity 11-21-2005 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Bob, you know better. (or maybe not)

Making correct decisions is what matters in any limit. Playing "30/20" for the sake of doing it is just plain dumb. As a matter of fact, IF Nikla were playing 10/20 on Party right now, I can safely say that his stats would NOT be 30/20.

According to Nikla :

"Gameconditions dictate what kind of vpip and pfr you can have. A 30/20 type of style in the passive 6-handed 10/20 games will often turn into a 24/xx style in the higher 6-handed limits just because the game is that much more aggressive."

Is his 10/20 description in line with the 10/20 games right now? If not, maybe HUSH should re-evaluate their playing style.

As far as the small limits go:

If you make every correct decision in $1/$2, there is no way on earth you will have 30/20 stats.

To make it simple, you don't "choose" your stats, they choose you. If you force yourself to fit into certain numbers because people "say so", you will really be scratching your head and wondering where you went wrong.
VPIP and PFR numbers are a RESULT of your play, and it's not the other was around.

Hopefully, I've saved you some time, money and aggrevation. Just something for you to think about before you continue with your random experimentations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, though I still think there's a lot of value in various games (not necessarily .5/1) in playing differently than you normally would to see how various types of players adjust to you. That won't make you a 30/20 player at 10/20 (nor should it), but it will help you learn how people react to your adjustments in general.

Rob

TStoneMBD 11-21-2005 02:45 PM

i think alot of preflop threads are good, but some are just [censored] ridiculous.

PokerBob 11-21-2005 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't this merely mean that you ran hotter?

Spicymoose 11-21-2005 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't this merely mean that you ran hotter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. You can just be comming into more spots where your standards allow continuing in the hand.