Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Phil Ivey, the World's Best Poker Player Bar None? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329587)

Qcity 09-04-2005 03:31 PM

Phil Ivey, the World\'s Best Poker Player Bar None?

I was browsing the tournament records of some of the top poker players at hendonmob.com, and I found Phil Ivey's incredible for a number of reasons:
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=r&n=127

- His first two tourneys he played in he won $230,00 at the WSOP in 2000, including first place in Pot Limit Omaha. That is amazing if you think about it. Most players start out in small tourneys, just making final tables and slowly work their way up. In his first appearnance he wins WSOP Omaha with a game with a huge learning curve and tons of good players.

- In 2002 he wins 3 bracelets! Two at seven card stud, and one at Shoe. He also had two other final tables in that WSOP and a solid 23rd placing in the main event. Just two years at tournament poker and he has shown that he can dominate all forms, whether 7 card stud, Omaha, or Hold em. That was probably the greatest world series display by any player in a single year.

- Immediatly fresh off his WSOP performance, he starts putting up amazing performances in the new WPT including a 4th place, a second place and a 3rd place in just a span of 6 months 2002-2003. He also won quite a few smaller buy in events winning a total of $800,000 in all 6 events.

- He has been more consistent in the WSOP main event than any play except perhaps Dan Harrington past few years finishing 20th out of 5,000 in 2005, 10th in 2003 and 23rd in 2002.

- He's one of just a couple of players that has done great at both WSOP and WPT.

- He plays in the biggest cash games in the world.

He has done all of this in just 5 years. The only thing lacking on this resume is that he hasn't won a major No Limit Hold em Event even though he's placed highly in so many.

lighterjobs 09-04-2005 04:08 PM

Re: Phil Ivey, the World\'s Best Poker Player Bar None?

He's pretty good.

Oluwafemi 09-04-2005 04:12 PM

and he isn't even 30 yet.

flo 09-04-2005 05:04 PM

Playing versus him is definitly -EV [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Yeti 09-04-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- His first two tourneys he played in he won $230,00 at the WSOP in 2000, including first place in Pot Limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your first mistake. Do you see why?

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing lacking on this resume is that he hasn't won a major No Limit Hold em Event even though he's placed highly in so many.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turning Stone was pretty big imo.

Qcity 09-04-2005 05:25 PM

? What was my mistake?

TomHimself 09-04-2005 05:28 PM

I think he is jsut saying that those probaly weren't his first tourneys but I dont know. Phl Ivey is a BEAST

09-04-2005 05:46 PM

He has never won WSOP best all around player and he has never won CardPlayer player of the year. If you want to call someone the best, you must take this two into consideration. No one has ever accomplished winning these two titles except one, and he did both in the same callendar year.

We all know who the greatest player in the world bar none is and it is not Ivey. It is someone who is his superior.

TomHimself 09-04-2005 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has never won WSOP best all around player and he has never won CardPlayer player of the year. If you want to call someone the best, you must take this two into consideration. No one has ever accomplished winning these two titles except one, and he did both in the same callendar year.

We all know who the greatest player in the world bar none is and it is not Ivey. It is someone who is his superior.

[/ QUOTE ]STFU, get off dannys nuts

Dacoops3 09-04-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- His first two tourneys he played in he won $230,00 at the WSOP in 2000, including first place in Pot Limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your first mistake. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably because you meant to write $230,000.

trying2learn 09-04-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dan had an amazing year...how's things going for him this year?

Yeti 09-04-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
? What was my mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because those are his first tournaments listed doesn't mean they are his first tournaments - only the first ones that he has cashed in.

That may have been his first year at the WSOP, I can't be bothered to look that up, but it's also possible he'd been there for the previous 2 years and not cashed.

TimTimSalabim 09-04-2005 06:33 PM

He's pretty good. He's no Bill Brasky, though.

Qcity 09-04-2005 06:47 PM

Negreneau had an amazing year in 2004, no doubt. Ivey was playing mostly cash games. Negreneau hasn't done much in the WSOP, ME or side events.

Both players are still very young and legacies evolving.

Adjective 09-04-2005 06:58 PM

Who cares? Are you in love with him or something?

Jimbo 09-04-2005 06:59 PM

http://www.bar-none.com/images/BarNonelogosm.jpg

Quicksilvre 09-04-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has never won WSOP best all around player

[/ QUOTE ]

...a title that has existed for all of two years. If you retro-rank the players in 2002, Ivey would have won that award.

09-04-2005 08:29 PM

Phil's one of my favorites to watch. I think he goes all-in too frequently when behind though.

Thrahl 09-05-2005 01:26 AM

Greenstein, Lederer and Ferguson among others have all gone on record as saying Ivey is the best poker player in the world.

Greenstein has a great little write up about Ivey on his site. His biggest fault according to Barry is that Ivey doesn't devote enough effort to the tourneys. Ivey sees them as just something to do in between the cash games. The bracelet he won this year at the WSOP was because Barry woke Ivey up and made him register for the tourney. Aside from the Main event he only entered in 2 other tourneys out of around 38.

Even with all that, Ivey still has more Tourney finishes in the money vs events played than any living poker player. Imagine if he took them seriously. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

arod15 09-05-2005 12:34 PM

If he keeps this pace of bracelet winning he is going on he will break the record of 10 in 6 years. He has a better ration of events won than both Brunson and Chan. I think it may be 2nd best to Unger but im not sure.

J.Brown 09-05-2005 02:55 PM

I really like Phil Ivey and how he plays, etc, etc, etc.

We all need to be honest about it though.........

ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

If we are debating this in 10 years there will be no debate, otherwise...........

just my thoughts, cheers, J.Brown

Richard Tanner 09-05-2005 03:41 PM

To Bill Brasky!!!!

Cody

BarronVangorToth 09-05-2005 05:13 PM

If you said he's one of the best - or even 2nd best - I'd say that you were probably on the right track. But I think we all know who the best of all time actually is.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Elaboration 09-05-2005 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's no Bill Brasky, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

09-06-2005 11:26 AM

He's like...the Tiger Woods of poker because he's a mixture of Thai, African, and Anglo...and he dominates, right?

Oh...Lon and Norman Chad are idiots? Oh yeah, I forgot.

lastchance 09-06-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you said he's one of the best - or even 2nd best - I'd say that you were probably on the right track. But I think we all know who the best of all time actually is.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFL. Great stuff.

TheMainEvent 09-06-2005 12:17 PM

I'd say if he's not the best, he will be soon enough. There are only a few players who someone might claim to be marginally better, and they're all at least 15 years older than Ivey.

Kyle Stark 09-06-2005 12:43 PM

Doyle says his son Todd and Todd agrees.

Of course I'll never play at those levels so I have to go by hearsay but I've read from different sources that Phil does the best in the big game now and it was Chip Reese in the past (even thought Barry still claims he's the biggest winner), but Todd crushes the smaller game so much that he doesn't play the big game.

I'm surpised nobody mentioned that Phil just doesn't care that much about tournaments because of the cash games...that one tournament he won against Diag, he had to get 2nd to break even because he lost some prop bets with barry. Tournaments for Phil is just about doing it cause he can, but his focus isn't really on them at all.

Here's Barry Greenstein's thoughts on many players including Phil and Todd.

And here's Negreanu's.

(again, old news but nobody mentioned it yet)

TheMainEvent 09-06-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok. Only the two people least likely to have an objective opinion.

Kyle Stark 09-06-2005 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok. Only the two people least likely to have an objective opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya it was kind of one of those "well todd's the best, if you don't believe me just ask him or his dad" type thing.