Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Link to World Cup Draw information (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394875)

cognito20 12-09-2005 11:54 AM

Link to World Cup Draw information

A decent introduction to today's World Cup draw in Leipzig, which will be televised on ESPN2 in the USA, I believe. Written by an English author, and has an interesting analysis of England's "dream group" and "group of death".

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...up&cc=5901

From the US point of view, I think the "Dream Group" would be Spain (the only seeded team we can play that's never won the World Cup...Mexico is also seeded but we can't play them in the first round since we're from the same federation), Switzerland (Poland is probably the weakest team in Pot Three, but we historically have not played them very well, especially at the last World Cup) and Togo (Angola has had a few somewhat decent international results, and had a tougher group to qualify out of in Africa than the Togolese...neither one exactly inspire fear though). The US "Group of Death", IMHO? Brazil, Australia (one of the world's most underrated teams and my darkhorse choice to reach the quarterfinals) and Holland (one of the strongest non-seeded teams in WC history). Anyway you slice it, it's gonna be interesting.

--Scott

TomCollins 12-09-2005 12:40 PM

Re: Link to World Cup Draw information

Here's a quote from England:

[ QUOTE ]
"What would be the worst draw? Holland, Australia and the United States, I think," Eriksson said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the US is the laughing stock still!

cognito20 12-09-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"What would be the worst draw? Holland, Australia and the United States, I think," Eriksson said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken, but Sven is saying here that he DOESN'T want to play the US in the first round. We may quite be up to "contenders to win the World Cup" level yet, but NO ONE is going to look past us to their next opponent anymore. Not with our #8 world ranking and a quarterfinal appearance in the last World Cup (which would have been at least a semifinal appearance if Hugh Dallas had seen the German defender handball the US equalizer off the line).

Well, maybe Brazil. They can still laugh at us. No one else is though.

--Scott

TomCollins 12-09-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken, but Sven is saying here that he DOESN'T want to play the US in the first round. We may quite be up to "contenders to win the World Cup" level yet, but NO ONE is going to look past us to their next opponent anymore. Not with our #8 world ranking and a quarterfinal appearance in the last World Cup (which would have been at least a semifinal appearance if Hugh Dallas had seen the German defender handball the US equalizer off the line).

Well, maybe Brazil. They can still laugh at us. No one else is though.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point. But the loudmouth Aussie/Ukriane guy was stating that US was the laughing stock of the soccer world. Apparently that is not the case.

Go Blue 12-09-2005 01:03 PM

Just to clarify, is the actual draw at 2:15 PM ET? That's what I read, but on yahoo TV, it says that it will be on espn2 3-4 PM ET. Has anyone got a definite answer on this?

kenberman 12-09-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the loudmouth Aussie/Ukriane guy was stating that US was the laughing stock of the soccer world.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't bother me that he was a loudmouth. it bothered me that he was an idiot incapable of intelligent discussion

re: the draft time, there is a "pre-draft" show, which is probably why there is a discrpency between the times. the show starts at 19:30 GMT I believe, and the selections some time after that.

Voltron87 12-09-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that quote is referring to the pot system which is how the draw is done. the US is the best team out of the 8 in its pot, its not as big a compliment to the US as people might think.

cognito20 12-09-2005 01:08 PM

ESPN2's telecast definitely starts at 3 pm. Don't know why they'd broadcast it on delay, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm just going to play some 6-max until it starts anyway, and already have my TV tuned to the Deuce. This is always one of my favorite events to watch in sports.

Incidentally, please God, please God, please God, DON'T put us in a group with Brazil.

--Scott

TomCollins 12-09-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that quote is referring to the pot system which is how the draw is done. the US is the best team out of the 8 in its pot, its not as big a compliment to the US as people might think.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I think of laughing stocks of the NFL, I think of the Texans, the Packers, the 49ers. Not the Redskins, Falcons, or Dolphins.

TomCollins 12-09-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN2's telecast definitely starts at 3 pm. Don't know why they'd broadcast it on delay, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm just going to play some 6-max until it starts anyway, and already have my TV tuned to the Deuce. This is always one of my favorite events to watch in sports.

Incidentally, please God, please God, please God, DON'T put us in a group with Brazil.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter *that* much if we get one really good team. Just make sure there are enough crappy teams from the other pots. Beat them and you are in the next round.

Clarkmeister 12-09-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I want Brazil. If we lose, its expected, big deal. If we get a tie, or god forbid a win, it would rule.

Voltron87 12-09-2005 01:13 PM

hes basically saying the US is better than Iran, South Korea, Japan, and costa rica. do you understand the draw system?

TomCollins 12-09-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hes basically saying the US is better than Iran, South Korea, Japan, and costa rica. do you understand the draw system?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. 1 from each pot. Pots are assigned by geography and a few other factors. It's not complex. I know its not a huge compliment, but a "laughing stock" would never be in a group of death. You left out Saudi Arabia, and Trinidad & Tobago.

TomCollins 12-09-2005 01:17 PM

As for the time, I believe it takes longer than an hour, and ESPN is delaying it. It will be at 2:15 ET.

Aces McGee 12-09-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the sort of thing we U.S. fans should be praying for. It really doesn't matter which seeded team we end up against; we're not going to be favored. It's much more important that we avoid Holland, the Czech Rep., Sweden, and Portugal out of Pot 3.

-McGee

kenberman 12-09-2005 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the sort of thing we U.S. fans should be praying for. It really doesn't matter which seeded team we end up against; we're not going to be favored. It's much more important that we avoid Holland, the Czech Rep., Sweden, and Portugal out of Pot 3.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

yup

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's my point. But the loudmouth Aussie/Ukriane guy was stating that US was the laughing stock of the soccer world. Apparently that is not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its still the case...

US record in Europe last 10 games.

1 win 7 losses 2 ties!!!!

PokerFink 12-09-2005 01:39 PM

Oh get over yourself. It's 2005. The US is actually reasonably good at soccer now.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh get over yourself. It's 2005. The US is actually reasonably good at soccer now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees are in the Bronx....

valenzuela 12-09-2005 01:41 PM

The big teams care more about the rest of the bracket instead of their own group, for instance Argentina prefers playing Spain or Mexico rather than germany or Brazil on a potential quarter-final.
This edition of the world cup lacks powerful african teams like Cameroon or Nigeria, so their isnt much death group potential like there was in 2002.
Also I think next year edition is mixed unlike the previous one( there were two world cup , one in japan and the other in south korea, check the brackets and u will know what im talking about.) so thats another reason why this draw isnt as important as it was on 2002.

Aces McGee 12-09-2005 01:42 PM

Guys, we already ruined one World Cup thread with this stuff. I think we all know where Brudder Andrusha stands on the U.S. national team. Let's focus on the draw.

-McGee

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This edition of the world cup lacks powerful african teams like Cameroon or Nigeria, so their isnt much death group potential like there was in 2002.
Also I think next year edition is mixed unlike the previous one( there were two world cup , one in japan and the other in south korea, check the brackets and u will know what im talking about.) so thats another reason why this draw isnt as important as it was on 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a Group like

England/Germany/Brazil, Holland, USA, Australia ???

valenzuela 12-09-2005 01:50 PM

that would be bad for USA but not terrible for Holland or a big seed.
Do you really think Brazil is scared of Usa or Australia??

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that would be bad for USA but not terrible for Holland or a big seed.
Do you really think Brazil is scared of Usa or Australia??

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazil is not scared of USA or Australia...
But there is only 1 - UEFA pot team that could handle them and that is The Netherlands.

Voltron87 12-09-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. 1 from each pot. Pots are assigned by geography and a few other factors. It's not complex. I know its not a huge compliment, but a "laughing stock" would never be in a group of death. You left out Saudi Arabia, and Trinidad & Tobago.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i just took 4 of the best ones to make my point.

these threads and arguments are getting really old, they were stupid to being with. not that i expected much from a 2p2 discussion about soccer, but i am really excited for the draw and cant wait.

valenzuela 12-09-2005 01:57 PM

This year draw has serbia & montenegro on a special pot, previous edition worked the following way: there were 9 european teams on a pot, one of them were randomly left out and that team went into pot 4. In this year edition the team is chosen instead of being randomly selected.
In the year 2002 England and Sweden ended up in the same group, but in this year edition Holland( the powerful non-seed) can only be placed in Serbia& montenegro group. Holland has no risk of being in the swedes group.
Im not sure if Im being clear.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This year draw has serbia & montenegro on a special pot, previous edition worked the following way: there were 9 european teams on a pot, one of them were randomly left out and that team went into pot 4. In this year edition the team is chosen instead of being randomly selected.
In the year 2002 England and Sweden ended up in the same group, but in this year edition Holland( the powerful non-seed) can only be placed in Serbia& montenegro group. Holland has no risk of being in the swedes group.
Im not sure if Im being clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong!

Serbia and Montenegro will face either Brazil/Argentina/Mexico.

They definitely will face another UEFA team - Anyone of the 8 undessed European teams in the UEFA pot including Holland.

valenzuela 12-09-2005 02:04 PM

swedes are from sweden.

jdl22 12-09-2005 02:18 PM

All,

would it be possible to not have every thread on the world cup turn into an argument over whether or not the US is a "laughing stock"?

hoping,

Jared

UCF THAYER 12-09-2005 02:26 PM

He was saying that, unlike 2002, there is no chance for example Portugal and Sweden being in the same group.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was saying that, unlike 2002, there is no chance for example Portugal and Sweden being in the same group.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he was also say the Serbia and Montegnegro cound not face Holland... Which is wrong...

valenzuela 12-09-2005 02:33 PM

I never said that, plz quote it for me.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said that, plz quote it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right here:

In the year 2002 England and Sweden ended up in the same group, but in this year edition Holland( the powerful non-seed) can only be placed in Serbia& montenegro group.

valenzuela 12-09-2005 02:37 PM

how does that mean Holland cant play with Serbia & montenegro?

UCF THAYER 12-09-2005 02:41 PM

pwned

jdl22 12-09-2005 02:45 PM

Here's a few random thoughts.

Sven Goran Erikkson (England manager), wants to avoid Australia (url=http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=332750&CPID=4&CLID=&lid= 13&title=Eriksson+keen+to+avoid+Aussies&ch annel=world_cup]here's full text from skysports[/url]) due to the rivalrly between the two. I agree with this, a team being put in your group that will play harder against you than the other teams is a big deal. While they were very good in general, I felt the same way about Senegal being in the same group as France. That also is what would happen if the US faced Iran so to the extent that I'm cheering for the US, I'm glad we're in the same pot as them.

I think people are underestimating Spain. Spain are a very good team. They haven't ever won the world cup finals but have very good players and what many consider to be the best domestic league in the world. Both Spain and the Netherlands have a long, storied history of choking in the world cup though.

Something very cool about this draw is that it will basically guarantee that two very weak teams are in the same group. On one hand it can be bad as the other two teams have a cakewalk through to the next round but it's good to see small countries have some success, and people from those countries go crazy if they win a match even if they finish bottom of their group. I'd like to see T&T match up with either Ivory Coast or Togo.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 02:47 PM

But you write it is only in S&M group...

valenzuela 12-09-2005 02:51 PM

thats rigth holland cant be drawn with ukraine, poland, sweden, portugal, switzerland, czech.rep or croatia. they can only be drawn with serbia & montenegro, thereby there no risk to have a super death group like in 2002.
edit: serbia & montenegro is the only unseeded european team that can be drawn with holland, that doesnt mean that serbia & montenegro will be on hollands group.

Brudder Andrusha 12-09-2005 02:56 PM

They can also miss Serbia and Montenegro all together.

Check what the word "only" means!

Because if Holland doesn't have Serbia & Montenegro - Then they could face Germany/France/Spain/England/Italy...

Why couldn't those European teams create a super death group????

valenzuela 12-09-2005 03:10 PM

ok now the discussion is back to football.
The hardest possible group is:
Brazil, Holland, Australia/Ivory Coast, Serbia/USA.
While that group is a pain in the ass u cant compare it to Argentina, England, Nigeria and Sweden. Thats all.